Helpful ReplyWhat Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use?

Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2017/06/08 15:46:12 (permalink)

What Would Make DAWs (Not Just SONAR) Easier to Use?

I started a thread over in my Sound, Studio, and Stage forum called Why Is Learning a DAW So Difficult? There were some really thoughtful responses, and it got me thinking this forum would be a good place to inquire about specifics on what could be done to make DAWs more approachable. Here's an excerpt from a comment from Nat Whilk I found interesting:

"There seems to be this floating expectation, out there drifting into brains all over the place, that, since computers are so "smart" that they should be able to make all tasks easy for us not-as-smart humans.

"The advertising that software makers employ has a lot to do with this. Plus the fact that, yes, some software has been getting better at being user-friendly, easier to pick up. Like phones, readers, browsers.

"But there are two paths to user-friendly. One path is to add features such as wizards, setup guides, step-by-step routines to give the user a solid intro and a base from which to then venture into more complex aspects. The other path is to just dumb the software down so that it does a whole lot less, offers the fewest choices possible, and claims it can get you where to need to go with no prior experience or education.

"The deal is that DAW users develop their own working methods and pretty much stick to those once they're up and running. Take 20 moderately competent DAW users and you have 20 different methodologies at work. So it would be hard to impose a grid of "do it this way" except at the very beginning of the process.

"Sound recording, mixing, and mastering is just complicated. Just do the work, I say - and no, software is not here to make everything easy for you. It's to give you tools to expand the effectiveness of your own skills. Not to make those skills unnecessary."

While I agree that recording quality music requires skill, I do think there must be ways to make it easier for people to get started. SONAR did the Add Track thing; I don't use it (I'm into Track Templates) so I don't know if it would be helpful to beginners...and they'd still have to know that "+" means "Add Track."

To get the ball rolling...I think one of the main difficulties is hooking up a DAW to an audio interface, particularly if the audio interface has a relatively sophisticated application of its own for routing and such. The only easy way I see to fix this is with companies that make both the software and the audio interface, but there are still issues the user would have to specify - like sample rate and bit resolution.

Or maybe when you boot up a DAW, there could be an optional screen with questions like "Do you play guitar and need a direct input?" "How many tracks do you need for mics?" and depending on your answer, what's needed would be created. Maybe there would be ways to enhance the Start screen to make it easier to get started.

Given that everyone here uses a DAW, and the skill level ranges from newb to expert, perhaps there are some good ideas just waiting to be implemented...but if this is a dumb idea for a thread, I'll just delete it :)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1