Helpful ReplyWhat about MAX Martin?

Author
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
2018/07/19 23:15:57 (permalink)

What about MAX Martin?

Some of you here are producers, me and other wants to be.

Even if we love Max work or hate him, we are all affected in some way.
For me, I loved him back in 97 and up to 07 or later. then I got musically red pilled.
I am anyways of that mind that we can learn from anyone.
And a producer as successful as Max Martin has much to teach us.

What do you love/hate about him and his works?
Is he the only one responsible for this sterile Poop, sorry, Pop  music today?

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/19 23:42:06 (permalink)
For the noobs….

Max Martin's Secret Songwriting Formula

Polar Music Max Martin masterclass interview

post edited by Jarsve - 2018/07/20 00:42:21

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/20 11:52:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ABull 2018/07/20 14:25:06
The comment from Simon Cowell is breathtakingly ironic. Between the two of them, they've ensured that we'll never hear a song like Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Wichita Lineman or Whiter Shade of Pale in 'the charts' again. Because of them, and a couple of others, pop music has become simple, formulaic and forgettable.

Makes me long for the days when I heard Squeeze, Del Amitri, XTC, Elvis Costello and Kate Bush on the radio, instead of the melisma drenched anodyne drivel that passes for pop these days.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/20 14:01:07 (permalink)
I know right.

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/20 18:37:00 (permalink)
jamesg1213
The comment from Simon Cowell is breathtakingly ironic. Between the two of them, they've ensured that we'll never hear a song like Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Wichita Lineman or Whiter Shade of Pale in 'the charts' again. Because of them, and a couple of others, pop music has become simple, formulaic and forgettable.

Makes me long for the days when I heard Squeeze, Del Amitri, XTC, Elvis Costello and Kate Bush on the radio, instead of the melisma drenched anodyne drivel that passes for pop these days.

You sound bitter...

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/20 20:32:22 (permalink)
One thing tho, is that Max Matrin stuff is better than rapp the last 20 years. On both sides. In my book melody wil always trumph over percussion.

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 01:09:06 (permalink)
Jarsve

Some of you here are producers, me and other wants to be.

That's true I got the Pro Channel ...Hey Music World you better watch out

Jarsve

Even if we love Max work or hate him, we are all affected in some way.

Yeah I know . I'm surrounded by people everywhere I go that have their eyes glued to the screen of their cell phones while they listen and watch u tube videos of his songs with their ear buds on .
Normally I don't mind this yet I do have to confess that I get a little nervous when I'm driving my car or when I'm walking around in public around some of these people .

Jarsve

For me, I loved him back in 97 and up to 07 or later. then I got musically red pilled.

I must be living under a Rock with very strong musical filter fortifications . Honestly  I didn't know who he was until a couple of years ago.

Jarsve

A producer as successful as Max Martin has much to teach us.

Yes , it is true , Max Martin has much to teach us.
If you want to be popular learn from him and do what he does . If not it's OK ,  just be true to yourself .We are all different

Very few people listen to Music first with their ears only anymore ...
Nowadays in today's music world , songwriting and producing a good music performance is a dying art that may soon become extinct in the very near future.
Folks , it always wasn't this way . In today's world the musical landscape has changed to the point where even multi million dollar musical artists are putting their music out VIA social media to generate listens and interest .
No longer is it good enough to just write a great song and melody with Love to put out there for your fans and listeners ..
Musicians and song writers who do their music only with out any consideration for what their true market is  face the dangers of living a life time of anonymous interactions in the outskirts of the music bizznezz with no listeners or fans.  
( trust me I know this info  first hand ... to be totally honest here , I haven't learned my lesson )

Jarsve

What do you love/hate about him and his works?

Before I came in to this thread I did some research on Max , then I listened to a bunch of music I hadn't realized Max had done .
I don't know man , I don't want to say anything bad , but the dude sure knows what the hell he is doing ...
Every tune I checked out had something like 456, 789, 109 views on u tube ...
I didn't  hear or see any Old Long Grey Haired Hippy Guitar Players with a steel gaze of concentration trained on either their guitars fret-board or shoes clogging up the screen of my lap top while the music was playing ...

I saw was some Drop Dead Foxy Wimenz singing to the song . Some of these girls were certainly worthy of  serving as the sole inspiration behind  a  Guinness World Record attempt for The Game of One Manned Pocket Pool.

Lets see , we have a catchy tune that works it's way into your head whether you like it or not .
Then we have Video productions that rival what The Old School Hollywood Blockbusters were doing only a short time ago in what they did in staging and effects ...
Then there is the Foxy Eye Candy that not only looks good but can sing and dance .

Aye Carrumba how's a songwriter / musician gonna be able to compete or even get a listen up against that ?

Jarsve

Is he the only one responsible for this sterile Poop, sorry, Pop  music today?

Nope I hate to say this . We are all to blame Clearly Max fully understands his market .
He is only giving a majority of the listening public out there what they think they want

Oh $h*t  after coming in here and writing this post

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/07/24 01:34:41

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 08:17:44 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
I must be living under a Rock with very strong musical filter fortifications . Honestly  I didn't know who he was until a couple of years ago.

I’m from Norway and his from Sweden. I was interested in Producing and started reading the writhers in the album covers. That’s how I came by Mas and Deniz Pop (Rip). They who made tons of local music. And of course, Ace of Base.

kennywtelejazz
Very few people listen to Music first with their ears only anymore ...
Nowadays in today's music world , songwriting and producing a good music performance is a dying art that may soon become extinct in the very near future.
Folks , it always wasn't this way . In today's world the musical landscape has changed to the point where even multi million dollar musical artists are putting their music out VIA social media to generate listens and interest .
No longer is it good enough to just write a great song and melody with Love to put out there for your fans and listeners ..
Musicians and song writers who do their music only with out any consideration for what their true market is  face the dangers of living a life time of anonymous interactions in the outskirts of the music bizznezz with no listeners or fans. 
( trust me I know this info  first hand ... to be totally honest here , I haven't learned my lesson )

Me to. My friend Lars in the band Antestor has been screewed by labels and fans of other bands because they are Christian BM.

kennywtelejazz
Before I came in to this thread I did some research on Max , then I listened to a bunch of music I hadn't realized Max had done .
I don't know man , I don't want to say anything bad , but the dude sure knows what the hell he is doing ...
Every tune I checked out had something like 456, 789, 109 views on u tube ...
I didn't  hear or see any Old Long Grey Haired Hippy Guitar Players with a steel gaze of concentration trained on either their guitars fret-board or shoes clogging up the screen of my lap top while the music was playing ...

I saw was some Drop Dead Foxy Wimenz singing to the song . Some of these girls were certainly worthy of  serving as the sole inspiration behind  a  Guinness World Record attempt for The Game of One Manned Pocket Pool.

Lets see , we have a catchy tune that works it's way into your head whether you like it or not .
Then we have Video productions that rival what The Old School Hollywood Blockbusters were doing only a short time ago in what they did in staging and effects ...
Then there is the Foxy Eye Candy that not only looks good but can sing and dance .

Aye Carrumba how's a songwriter / musician gonna be able to compete or even get a listen up against that ?

Well, we can’t. But we have something genuine. I think the main problem with MAX Martin and their like, is that they overproduce everything to the max. I know that they have to on many of the singers, to make them sound descent. If you iron out the 70s album like they are today, you will kill them. Like quantizing of everything and full auto-tune on vocals.

For me, now I am really anxious about that when tracking and recording. I plan up, not to make it perfect so that it keeps the human feel. But for me I struggle with finding the line, where it is the right amount. Not talking about programmed Drums. But tracking instruments.

Many of my favorite albums were recorded in a short time back in the 80s and they have the live feeling, even tho they tracked to click.

But one positive thing about Max and other pop producers are that they are not over complicate the arrangements. And have some good rules for that. I bet Dream Theater have the same rules, as I remember an interview I saw with John Petrucci, and he stated that they were really concerned and working hard on this thing. Yes, there are time signature changes and so on, but not more than 1 new thing at a time. And max 3 to 4 important thing in a counterpoint at a time. Max certainly did not invent this. But he has it on his rules.

ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 08:22:45 (permalink)
By the way. the last rules was not of John Petrucci but of Max Martin. I dont remember Johns rules, if ha had any. He was just concerned and stated that they could make the albums crazy advanced, but then no noe would listen to it. or something like that.

tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 08:43:30 (permalink)
He sure is great at what he does, an amazing producer. I am not a fan of the music he produces but he knows the trade that is for sure. I wouldn't say that he is the cause of todays music, we are, the consumers of music. And to be honest, all the computers in music are too imo which might be ironic considering where we are having this conversation. All the imperfections, filth, nerve and energy is being quantized, stretched, auto tuned, looped and filtered to death making music rather dead.

Max Martin did not cause this, I think it was the inevitable path. You really cant make a living in music anymore, not in the same way. To a large extent music is a dying art, forget about  going back to how it was. It had its run and this is now where we are. I think it is much more likely it will go further down the computer path. I read about and listened to, AI creating music now based on formula and music examples. I mean I did not love it but it could easily pass for music composed by a human and this is where we are going. People dont care if its written by Lennon or Intel and why pay Lennon to write it when you can press a compose button on a PC for free. 

Good thing we might soon get all these chord tracks and auto tune features in Sonar ey? I mean, so we dont have to learn how to sing and play for real ... that would suck :) 

Enough good music out there to last several lifetimes though so I dont really care if most new stuff sucks. 
ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 10:04:09 (permalink)
It seems this dark, but i have a slightly hope. There are young musichians on the tube that has millions of view. Well they only cover athers work, but they do play live on cam.

Have you heard the Japanese artificial singing artists? It sounds augmful lol. Something with the vouce that sounds rrally off. Anf yeah they pich ih 10 octaves up, Japanese style. Lol.

I can find some links to songs on the tube. Bimut it doesnt sound good.

ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 10:09:02 (permalink)

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 13:03:06 (permalink)
Dear Max Martin ,

I wish I knew you in real life .

I think I may have learned a lot from you on how best to use my musical talents in the music bizznez  . Had you took me under your wing ,  you might have even helped me get off food stamps much sooner than I did ...

I have to give it to you Max , the way you are living the dream ...it is enviable ..I feel the green and it is not in my wallet

The more I read up on you , the more I think you are one of the Coolest People in Music ..having said that 
Please don't get mad at me for this . I'm just trying to work through my issues and I'm not going down with out a fight

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/07/24 13:45:40

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 15:57:22 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Dear Max Martin ,

I wish I knew you in real life .

I think I may have learned a lot from you on how best to use my musical talents in the music bizznez  . Had you took me under your wing ,  you might have even helped me get off food stamps much sooner than I did ...

I have to give it to you Max , the way you are living the dream ...it is enviable ..I feel the green and it is not in my wallet

The more I read up on you , the more I think you are one of the Coolest People in Music ..having said that 
Please don't get mad at me for this . I'm just trying to work through my issues and I'm not going down with out a fight

Kenny

Lol

Best letter ever!

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 17:19:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2018/07/24 17:31:58
My perceptions are undoubtedly limited and I think we're all biased to some degree. 

So here's my limited opinion on the subject in a nutshell- The big players mostly decide who's records to support and distribute. This guy can sell records.
No matter what anyone tells you, you need those big players to make big things happen on a world stage at the level these guys are at.People develop working relationships over time. If something works and is seen as successful, then the team responsible will try to repeat it using the same people and methods. This is why I think this guy has done so well. There are other factors involved too. 
Don't look too far behind the curtain.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

ØSkald
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/24 17:32:19 (permalink)
I know what you are talking about

marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/26 20:43:17 (permalink)
I think nowadays it is not different to the past (e.g. the 80s when we were playing live). The people only want to hear what is already well known, the big acts. It doesn't matter how good the music is, but it has to be of those awesome stars! For sure their albums are and were always professionally perfect (if you exclude their first ones). It is a big business, it's a lot of money, the stars are all cool, randy girls, young good looking guys (no old geezers). It has not changed at all!

So the best thing for me is that I have always one listener that likes my songs: myself! Yes, I like them! (even if the performance, recording and mixing is not without any doubt. )

Marc

... many years before ...
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/26 20:58:02 (permalink)
marled

the stars are all cool, randy girls, young good looking guys (no old geezers). It has not changed at all!

So how do you explain; Bill Haley, Neil Sedaka, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, Paul Simon, Roy Orbison, Iggy Pop, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, etc etc then.. Looks never used to matter for popularity. The quality of songs did.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: What about MAX Martin? 2018/07/27 12:38:29 (permalink)
Most of them were cool looking when they started their careers! Furthermore the way how to look changed during the time! And if someone has reached the top, then he can continue till he is an old geezer, but you can never start there! This alone proves that the looking does matter over the music!
In respect of the music I think there were always better or equal talents that did not succeed. I agree it is not only the looking, there are other relevant things like freakiness, the performance, the appearance and so on. Not to forget their obsession to get there, most of them have worked very hard. But there were also those who profited to be in the shade of a real great act. I do not want to claim that their music and performances were not excellent (although it is a matter of taste, influenced by the time), but in no way they were the only ones!

Marc

... many years before ...
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1