What amps sound like Marshall Amps?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lawnranger
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
2011/12/31 19:29:08 (permalink)

What amps sound like Marshall Amps?

I know Marshall makes a great amp and I will probably end up with one soon. However, are there any other manufacturers who make a quality amp with that "Marshall" sound? Thanks.

WIndows 7/64 Home 70 GB Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ, 3 GB Ram
SONAR 8.5, EMU 0404, Soundcraft Compact 4, EDIROL PCR M50, Epi Semi Acoustic, Fender Bass, Breedlove Acoustic, Epi Les Paul.

49 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2011/12/31 19:40:23 (permalink)
    A very obvious one would be Orange.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2011/12/31 21:38:01 (permalink)
    The "Modern" Marshall sound?
    The 4 input, pre Master Volume? (and that breaks down into several sub groups)
    If was buying a Modern Production amp, I'd probably buy a Rivera, and even then
    there's a dozen different models.
    The Quiana's are nice...

Tom

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    lawnranger
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2011/12/31 23:45:35 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I will be looking at Orange and Rivera.WCO

SONAR 8.5, EMU 0404, Soundcraft Compact 4, EDIROL PCR M50, Epi Semi Acoustic, Fender Bass, Breedlove Acoustic, Epi Les Paul.
    lawnranger
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/01 00:30:09 (permalink)
    PS Anybody have a opinion on JET CITY amps?

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/01 12:18:21 (permalink)
    This guy is a local here in my town and once upon a time we were in a band together.  He personally hand wires every amp himself and they are flat out sick sounding!   Check out Lickliter Amps here:
    http://www.lickliteramplification.com/Home_Page.php

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/01 15:13:44 (permalink)
    A few more names - Soldano, Laney (cheaper than Marshall but their valve range at least is actually pretty good), Hughes and Kettner.

It really depends on what you mean by a "Marshall" sound, and what you mean by "quality" though. There's a huge difference between a TSL and a plexi Lead/Superlead.

Really, if you want the sound of a particular Marshall amp, the best way to get it is to get that amp.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/02 13:34:57 (permalink)
    I haven't actually tried the Jet City amps in person, but they have a great reputation for bang for the buck on some of the guitar forums that I check out. Some of their models are supposed to be more Marshall-like and some are supposed to be similar to Soldano. (Those actually were designed by Soldano.) I'd be more inclined to go with the Soldano style for my music, but if you're looking for a Marshall sound for less money Jet City would certainly be worth a try. Jet City also has a few that are modded to get more of a Friedman Marsha sound, which is a pretty mean sounding modded Marshall style sound. As I recall they had several varieties of modded amps if you check out their web site. Of course those versions cost quite a bit more than the stock (still less than most Marshall tube amps.)

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    ChuckC
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/02 17:44:36 (permalink)
    I know I'll get hung for saying this here but....
    I was running a Mesa Boogie 3 channel dual rectifier for years.  At the time we were rehearseing 2-3 tim a week and gigging 4-5 times a month.  It's crunch channels were INSANE, gourgeous full tones, the clean was never really a "clean" sound but it worked I guess..   but my issues were these:
    1) It would not let me run ANY effects through it at all.  NONE!  didn't matter if it was through the loop or out in front of it.  That amp would give me a high pitch tone (Imaging hitting a high C on a keyboard and holding it) from the minute you turned it on with FX in the chain til you turned it off.  Completely rejected any other processing.... Elitist premadonna amplifier!
    2) I was always replacing tubes every year- year and a half...  That gets expensive with all the main tubes, Preamp tubes, and recto tubes.
    3) I never got a power conditioner.  So when the cook at the club would turn on a mixer or oven the voltage would change enough to throw my tone out of whack.  (I know.... this one is on me)
    4) You have to keep spare 4A slow blow fuses with you at all times.

So I sold it and went to using my older solid  state head and a line six XT Live pedal that does Amp/cab modeling, and multi FX.  It get's me about 95% of the way to my old sound without the maintenence and headaches...  Just my 2 cents.   For the money I think the XT Live or the new line 6 Hd model pedals could get you alot closer than many off-brand amplifiers.  

Now I am going to run before the purists string me up...

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    tlw
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/02 20:33:37 (permalink)
    Just a thought for the OP....

If you're after the "classic" Marshall/British sound, that means overdriving the power stage of the amp (old Marshalls had very little pre-amp gain compared to modern master-volume amps). Pre-amp and power amp distortion sound quite different.

Which means, I suggest, going with a fairly low wattage. To get the "Marshall sound" out of a 50watt Lead (plexi) you have to crank it well past the volume any modern sound-engineer will accept and in smaller venues/rooms it will make the walls shake. I know, I've got one and retired it years ago because I was fed up playing it with the volume set to "4" (or less). Nowadays I use smaller amps (15-30 watts) that I can crank up, if I need more front-of-house volume (or stage spread in the foldback) I just mic the amp up.

As for modern Marshalls, again, I've seen plenty of the 50/100 watters on stages with the master volume set too low to let the power amp begin to do its job properly.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    tlw
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/02 20:56:58 (permalink)

1) It would not let me run ANY effects through it at all.  NONE! 

Very odd.

2) I was always replacing tubes every year- year and a half

Preamp valves usually last much longer than that in my experience (my Fender reissue Reverb unit was last revalved about 8 years ago and is still happy). Even power-amp ones usually will in my experience. Then again, I've never owned a Mesa. One the other hand, I have owned a Marshall (a JTM30 I bought for pub gigs) that was as tempremental/unreliable in it's own way. It had the unfortunate habit of cutting out for a couple of seconds every thirty seconds or so. Not always, only sometimes, and neither my local amp repairers or Marshall ever really got to the bottom of it. It seems lots of people had similar problems with those amps......

For the money I think the XT Live or the new line 6 Hd model pedals could get you alot closer than many off-brand amplifiers.  

An emulator and a powered PA cab is certainly a workable option (or two cabs and work in stereo). Particularly useful if you need a wide variety of sounds or tempo-matching to MIDI sync. I've been tempted myself - what's stopped me is that emulators don't sound or feel quite the same in the mild break-up/crunch area I spend a lot of time. They also make my synesthesia go kind of strange - which is really uncomfortable for me but unlikely to bother anyone else. And also means the reason I don't like digital emulators might well really all be in my mind :-).

ChuckC
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/02 23:15:58 (permalink)
    tlw,
       I am playing with my Xt Live, to a mid 90's peavy transtube head, into a Harke 4x12 320watt guitar cab (btw... they make a BAD ASS guitar cab!)  I bought it after cooking the speaers out of my old one with the Mesa.  My current band does a good bit of cover stuff where I have to match tones and FX so using the mesa for thisproject was no longer an option for me.   

I have been considering going to a smaller combo amp which would be easier to transport to gigs....  I st like having the half stack on stage behind me. It looks so much cooler than a one or two 12. 

tlw
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 12:04:54 (permalink)
    Just thinking about hauling a 4x12 around makes by back hurt. I gave up on that some years ago. Agreed, a full or half stack looks great, especially in a rock/metal band, but dragging it out of the van at 3.00 a.m., usually in the rain, having driven home from a gig 100+ miles away really isn't my idea of fun any more.

We've drifted well away from the thread topic, but I'd still suggest a small PA bin or two rather than a combo. If you're using an emulator/preamp to emulate difffferent amplifiers, it seems to make sense (to me at least) to feed it to the most neutral amp and speaker you can, rather than let the amp/speakers colour the sound.

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 12:38:27 (permalink)
    I've always felt that if someone wants the tone/sound of a marshall, they should buy a marshall.

there are lots of variants out there..

and lots of clones.

Ceriatone comes to mind.

but the quickest way, to get a 'marshall' sound, is to buy a marshall.

you must do your homework.

now as far as carrying gear for the working musician:
    i spent almost 6 years on the road, full time, and i learned to boil my system down for the easiest portage, most bang for the buck.

i started out with a marshall 100w half stack......which was overkill for probably 90% of the  venues i ever played.
    rack mounted effects, back breaking portage.

i eventually downsized everything, and ultimately it all sounded a thousand times better.

I went with a channel switching tube amp head (mesa boogie mark2b, 60 watts) and a pair of 1x12 closed back cabs, with speakers that were efficient and light weight. this allowed easy load in/outs, and with the cabs, i could point them in any direction (including backwards) and this is a very flexible setup.

basic fx that would not fail...... and were road worthy.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 15:32:19 (permalink)
    Late to the party, but I agree... if you want Marshall tone.... buy the model you like.  

I've played in a few bands where the "other" guitar played was using either the 50w or 100w Marshall head with a 4x12 Marshall cab. In every case, the amp was exceedingly loud and the guitarist in question was ALWAYS seeking ways to keep that tone he would get on 10, but at a lower level. Blankets, cutouts, road cases, turn it backwards, power sinks, you name it..... I've seen it tried, and none of it was really satisfactory. 
    I used to gig for a living and was on stage more nights than not. I have used the big 50 to 100w amps with multiple speakers to the smaller amps in the 20 watt range. 

I like the smaller ones because you can crank them up to 10 and while they are loud by themselves, not so much when  compared to the 100w big boys..... the small amps let me get that magic Tone at a lower level. 

I used my Mesa 22 studio on stage. 22 watts was more than enough in the clubs, but I also had a pair of 200w rated 4x12 Lab Series cabs that I powered with a stereo Carvin DCA-800 from the Mesa's line out if I wanted to move more air..... Still had the tone, and the volume if I needed it but I could dial the DCA down as needed and get that fat sound a reasonable sound pressure levels.  

If you just want that Marshall sound... get a Marshall. 

Aside from guitarists who know a Marshall's sound..... ( a very small percentage).... most listeners and other musicians would not be able to tell if it was a Marshall or a Peavey...and could probably care less. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 16:56:24 (permalink)
    bottom line, most marshall 'stereotypical' sound, is made using EL34's

and usually, a pair of those will put you at least into 50 watt territory, which is loud enough to peel paint.

is that what you really want?

if not, there is a literal PLETHORA of low watt 'Lunchbox' amplifiers out now, all doing something different, you'll find marshall-type tones in at least  half of them, perfect for recording, probably loud enough for gigging clubs, that's what i'd look for unless you plan on playing large stages

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 21:40:12 (permalink)
    I find that I sound like me no matter what amp I plug into. Some I like a little better, some not as much but twist the knobs, and use the right pedals, maybe a speaker change and you can get most anywhere with any decent amp. There are extremes like I wouldn't try to get a Roland Jazz Chorus to sound like a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier.... however both Clapton and Townshend use Fender Tonekings live... and Strats and they sound like Clapton and Townshend.
    I run a Boss Bass EQ pedal in front of a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb and can get most any sound with it. Sometimes I use a vintage Jordan J-100 pedal, sometimes a Tech21 Comp-Tortion, sometimes an EH Engish Muff'n. Bottom line, if you have a good clean tone you can get most any other tone with the right pedals. It is the clean plexi tone that is hardest to get without the right amp, but you can get it. Dirty tones are not that hard. If you want classic rock tones you'll be surprised at what you can get from a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. Blackhart amps are a good amp to try for an alternative. Go to the gearpage amps forum and read. mylespaul forums have some good amp threads too. Mesa Boogie started business by modding Fenders. Marshall started out by making a few changes to a Fender Bassman and calling it a Bluesbreaker. Fender started out by using schematics that RCA provided to sell tubes. Classic amps are all related so again... if you can get a good clean tone with the headroom you need, you can get your tone using pedals. Go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash, take your guitar and play some amps... don't listen too much to the salesmen... do it yourself.

J
    post edited by jbow - 2012/01/03 21:41:37

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 22:12:59 (permalink)
    I have a Seymour-Duncan 84-40 Tube amp. This thing has 4x EL84's and gobs of power. Marshall amps typically used the EL34 / EL84's tubes whereas Fender used the 6L6 / 6V6 tubes to get their unique tone.

If you are looking for that classic Marshall sound, you'll be looking for an amp which utilizes either of these two power tubes. I believe the EL34's are lower wattage than the EL84's.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

jbow
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 22:39:09 (permalink)
    el84s are the lower. el34s are used in 50, 60, and 100+ w amps. El84s are used in 19, 20, and 30 watters and VOX AC15s and 30s, and Peavey Classics. Some classic Marshalls and some new ones use KT-88s. I think the early plexis and JTM-45s used KT-88s. Then they switches to EL34s. But you are right EL34 is the classic Marshall tube, it is still up to the circuit, speakers, and quality of the tubes and the transformers... especially the output transformers.

Don't over do it with the power... or you will go deaf trying to get the tone you want and soundmen will cnstantly be telling you to turn it down. These days 30 watts will do most things if you have the amp miced, if not you wont have enough headroom and to get a really good tone you will be too loud. More watts dont get you a lot more volume, it gets you more clean headroom and some punch.

Read... research..

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    StevenMikel
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/03 22:59:55 (permalink)
    Laney,Splawn (Quickrod and Promod),Peavey Butcher
    Bats is right about el34's getting you half way there and that,if you want the "Marshall"sound get a Marshall.
    Tap
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/04 08:52:20 (permalink)
    Yeah, I had that backwards. Thanks JBOW ....

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/04 10:32:47 (permalink)
    however both Clapton and Townshend use Fender Tonekings live... and Strats and they sound like Clapton and Townshend.
    I've always suspected that once you get into that class of performer, you are likely to have the ability to get anything you want into any cabinet you like.  (IOW, very custom setups.) 

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/04 11:56:07 (permalink)
    I haven't seen Fargen mentioned here yet, but I have a Mini-Plex that has the sound (and circuitry, according to Mr. Fargen) of 3 separate Marshall models, switchable from the front panel, in a 7-10 watt package.  The tone is all Marshall, without the paint-peeling volume.  They aren't cheap, and are hard to find used, but if you get your hands on one you will know what I am talking about.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    jbow
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/04 15:26:39 (permalink)
    Fargen is great but they are expensive... but I would love to have one!! I've been wanting one for a couple of years but canot convince myself to spend that much... I've sure I wouldn't regret it though. I don't think anyone would.
    I have a roomful of amps and I think I am going to buy a Peavey Classic 30 soon. I used to have a Delta Blues 1x15 and a Classic 20. I wish I still had the Delta but the Classic 20 sounded really boxy to me. I've heard some great tones from the Classic 30 though. SS but pretty awesome are the Tech21 Trademark amps. I'd like a Mesa Mark III one day too.

J

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Tap
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/04 16:05:08 (permalink)
    Check out the Sommatone's. If I could afford one, this is probably what I would get. Jimmy does great work!!!

lawnranger
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/01/04 19:26:41 (permalink)
    Thanks one and all. Great info. I am going to Guitar Center to play some more amps and fiddle around. Wayne PS Keep the comments coming, am able to glean info. from each and every entry.

lawnranger
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/02/02 22:21:25 (permalink)
    Ended up buying a "Blackstar H5"  building a cabinet with a 12" Eminence "Wizard" sounds good to me. Sure having fun playing it, I play with another guitarist and a bass player, no problem on volume at all.

Gaffpro
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 792
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/02/03 19:59:30 (permalink)
    I am not impressed with the lower end Marshalls....try the Blackstar 40 watt amp.....I'm very picky about guitar tone and I'm getting one.
    Marshalls to me are kind of a one tick pony......have you ever heard a Fender Supersonic? OMG

Dell Studio XPS intel i7860, 8 gigs dual ram, Sonar X2 (x64), Windows 7

RME UCX     Yamaha NS10, Equator D5, JBL LSR 2325 monitors
    Vintech X73i, Great River ME-1NV, Joe Meek VC3Q preamps
    RNC 1773, DBX 163x, Joe Meek VC3Q compressors
    DBX 263x deesser
    Neumann U87, TLM 103, AKG 214, CAD E100s 
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Shure KSM27, SM7, SM57, and UnidyneIII (from the 60's)
    Other assorted mikes
    Houndawg
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/02/04 13:06:20 (permalink)
    Very interesting, I was going to recommend the Blackstar amps earlier in the thread, then I remembered I knew better than to talk about tone with guitar players!

Although not a guitarist myself, I've worked with countless guitarists over the years as a bandmate, technician, engineer, or consultant. I helped quite a few find or refine their tone, designed/built "refrigerator" racks, etc.

One day last year at a local busy and noisy music store, I heard a guitar tone from across the store. I wasn't paying any attention at all through all the various drum, percussion, keyboard and guitar noodling going on... but this tone I heard literally stopped me in my tracks. What amp is THAT? I had to know. Sure enough it was a Blackstar 2x12.

Furthermore, several of the employees who worked in the store were purchasing Blackstar amps for their own use, and some getting rid of their Marshall rigs to do so.

When asked what a Blackstar amp sounds like, although there's quite a bit of tonal variation, I often say they sound like a really great modded Marshall, with all the good you want from a Marshall-like tone with none of the bad.

The Blackstar amps certainly won't be the right choice for everyone, but anyone seeking anything close to a Marshall-like tone owes it to themselves to at least audition one.

Gaffpro
    • Total Posts : 792
    Re:What amps sound like Marshall Amps? 2012/02/04 14:11:58 (permalink)
    The brains behind Blackstar apparently came from a few ex Marshall employees who started the company......I personally don't think you should have to spend thousands of dollars for a great tube amp.....I just got a Bugera V22 a few days ago (2 EL84's and 3 12AX7's) for $300 shipped and I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded. Lee Ritenour likes Bugera's......it's under the "Behringer" roof, but so what? It sounds good and looks like a Matchless. Lawnranger, what I would personally do is try out amps with EL84's and Celestion greenbacks on the clean setting and then augment with pedals, etc. Marshall pedals are great......

Dell Studio XPS intel i7860, 8 gigs dual ram, Sonar X2 (x64), Windows 7

RME UCX     Yamaha NS10, Equator D5, JBL LSR 2325 monitors
    Vintech X73i, Great River ME-1NV, Joe Meek VC3Q preamps
    RNC 1773, DBX 163x, Joe Meek VC3Q compressors
    DBX 263x deesser
    Neumann U87, TLM 103, AKG 214, CAD E100s 
    Peluso 2247SE 
    AT4050 and 4051
    Shure KSM27, SM7, SM57, and UnidyneIII (from the 60's)
    Other assorted mikes
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1