What are the benefits of a control surface?

Author
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
2010/11/09 08:52:28 (permalink)

What are the benefits of a control surface?

I can not work out why I would want a controller like a V700 in my studio. Is it really any better? What are the real benefits compared to knowing the keyboard shortcuts? What about huge mixes with 60 - 80 tracks? How does the fader know which track to control? Etc etc? Seriously, anyone care to enlighten me?

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

5 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What are the benefits of a control surface? 2010/11/09 08:59:13 (permalink)
    I use a Wacom Tablet.

I believe it to be the most versatile control surface there is.

When I worked live it was essential that I be able to control parameters simultaneously and so a physical knob or switch for every parameter was vital.

With recording I just don't have any need to do that.

I stay in track view and use all the automation via my tablet controller.

best regards,
    mike

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:What are the benefits of a control surface? 2010/11/09 10:20:20 (permalink)
    The VS700 is a different thing altogether.  First, navigating around the screen is done w/ the jog/shuttle wheel - you don't have to take your hand off it to choose a track etc.

Then the buttons to the left are basically to edit, etc., other stuff you'd usually use shortcuts or dropdowns for. 

The fader/knob control surface is fairly conventional - many people like the tactile nature of control.

So, you keep one hand on the jog/shuttle, and use your left hand to pick functions or control the faders/knobs.  It is very instinctive.  I didn't have it long enough to memorize button place, but it was faster and more ergonomic than my regular mouse/keyboard method.  It felt right, almost analogish but with all the functions at a button push.  I only had it over a month for review and if you used it more intensively or for longer it would become instinctive, I would think.  And there is something nice, too, about adjusting levels for recording w/ a fader.  Again, it just felt right and instinctive.

The downer is it was so expensive (tho it has dropped in price, I think).  Still, I think a stripped down VS 700 w/ one fader and knobs for channel strip control and the jog/shuttle wheel would be fantasic - esp. w/ the new contextual curser (if it works).  mOst of the cool stuff about the 700 at a fraction of the price.  Like the Steinberg/yama control surface but for SONAR, not Cubase.  I imagine Cake/Roland would sell them like hotcakes if they worked well and were -$500.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:What are the benefits of a control surface? 2010/11/09 10:59:44 (permalink)
    I use an MCU & XT, before that the BCF2000. I really can't imagine going back to mouse & keyboard. Benefits are numerous the most obvious? How do you pull down more than one fader at a time with a mouse unless you group them?

The transport buttons alone are worth the investment, add a jog wheel and it's even better. I still occasionaly use the keyboard shortcuts but I personally wouldn't be without a control surface.

If you want to get your feet wet without spending mega £/$ get a BCF2000 and run it in Mackie mode.  There is no better value for money bit of kit out there. Yes the MCU is 'better' but not by £1000 + (or even close).

If you like the BCF and want to upgrade you can then go MCU/VS700 etc. One plus point for the MCU and/or BCF is the expandability to more than 8 tracks at a time which I don't believe you can with the VS (but I could be wrong if someone would like to correct me)

To answer your question about what fader controls what......

In case of the MCU the faders work in banks of 8, in my case with an XT 16 (2 XTs would give you 24 etc)

The bank you are controlling is highlighted in Sonar by the WAI (Where Am I) strip visible in both the track and console views. You can step through the tracks one at a time or by banks of 8. Most controllers also come with a scribble strip which also shows you where you are and displays other info such as what parameter the v-pot is currently controlling, its current value, etc.

Selecting channels is a simple press of a button or touching a fader, Mute/Record/Solo/Archive/Automation arm etc are all the touch of a button as is just about every other control you could possibly want. Functions/actions of your choice can be assigned to the 8 F buttons. For example I have one of mine set up as a dim solo button so can switch that in & out on the fly, another for pulling up various views etc.

I'm pretty sure once you get a surface and more importantly learn it you'll wonder how on earth you worked without one. I do and I'm a weekend warrior/hobbyist/amateur or whatever you like to call me.
    LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:What are the benefits of a control surface? 2010/11/09 12:00:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys - very illuminating (slight pun :O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

pdlstl
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re:What are the benefits of a control surface? 2010/11/10 14:32:39 (permalink)
    I also am running an MCU plus an XT. I would estimate that about 85% of my mouse usage has been taken away. My wrist and shoulder thank me for that. And since I went to Kensington Trackball Pro, my extremities are even happier!

My 2¢...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1