What area of Acoustics needs further research?

Author
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
2009/07/23 23:59:08 (permalink)

What area of Acoustics needs further research?

I am studying at University, doing my last year of Mechanical Engineering. I am taking a course entitled 'Industrial Noise and Control'. It's all about acoustics - specifically on the reduction of noise - especially through walls. The maths side and practical side of it all. As a requirement of my degree, I need to do a study which goes for one year, in detail, in an area of interest. I have an academic who wishes to supervise me for a noise related project, starting next year. He suggested I try and find a project I can work on and he will then be my supervisor. He is the academic for this Industrial Noise class I am taking. Now I need to come up with a project. No idea if the academic can get a decent grant from the University or not (Monash University in Clayton, Melbourne, FYI). He is a busy man, so I really need to come up with something first then refine the problem with him. Basic tools like high quality SPL meters are available to me. I have a feeling we may have an anechoic chamber, but not totally sure.

So, that's the background. Any suggestions for possible research projects? All I can think of at the moment is research on optimising noise reduction through walls using cheap materials and thin walls. Only that's going to need a decent grant from the university to get anywhere. I have a few months to try and come up with something.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

5 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:What area of Acoustics needs further research? 2009/07/24 00:51:31 (permalink)
    ..."optimizing noise reduction through walls using cheap materials and thin walls"...

That is a huge topic. I mean, the practical applications are innumerable, starting with highway noise suppression to residential home applications, industrial applications, too many to list. But, my first question would be, hasn't this been done already?

What about noise reduction at the source, getting as close to the source as possible? Maybe using sound itself?

Maybe not, probably been done already. Tough project. But since you brought it up, it will be in the back of my mind for a while.

If I come up with a great idea, do I get a commission, or finders fee, or something like that? Just kidding, still thinking.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:What area of Acoustics needs further research? 2009/07/24 01:03:54 (permalink)
    Yeah, true it's a huge topic. I was thinking in terms of mainly home applications. And yes, it has been done already, like everything else. It is going to be hard to find something that hasn't really already been done by much more experienced people than I. I just think it would be fun to do. But oh so expensive.

What do you mean by noise reduction at the source? Are you referring to sound enclosures around noisy devices? Or stopping the source from making noise altogether?

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:What area of Acoustics needs further research? 2009/07/24 03:13:15 (permalink)
    ..."Are you referring to sound enclosures around noisy devices"....

Ya know, I was just kinda thinking out loud, or shooting flares, whatever. The old "brainstorming" idea, what comes to mind, say it.

So, the thought was, similar to phase cancelation. Using eq to isolate the instruments, cancel the vocals. It never works very well, but you can use phase reversal and eq to cancel noise in recordings to some degree. Of course, industrial noise is truly high volume, but, what if you could project the exact opposite sound towards the source of the offending noise? They use noise at high volume for weapons, and the devices are not very large. You can neutralise noise in headphones in real time, Bose has a great product, still hear the song, cancel the noise.

Sorry, getting late and I really should be somewhere else doing...something... But, I was just throwing it against the wall, see what sticks...
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What area of Acoustics needs further research? 2009/07/24 10:36:28 (permalink)
    What the world really needs is a modular home theater.... No, No, No, we don't call them mobile homes anymore... we prefer the term "manufactured".

In any event what is needed is a plop and play home theater module that offers perfectly groomed surround sound... surround sound that actually works.

This is the only way the advertising industry will be able to move forward in its mission to attain total mind control.

If you start now....

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:What area of Acoustics needs further research? 2009/07/24 11:29:55 (permalink)
    How about exploring the feasibility of active acoustical treatments?

Example: it is extremely difficult to attenuate the transmission of very low frequencies. Even a 2-foot thick sold concrete wall can't stop a 30Hz signal. But what if you placed speakers inside a wall cavity that played back sounds detected within that cavity but with reversed phase? Would that prevent propagation through the wall?

Some products currently exist (active bass traps), but I think they're snake oil because their effect will only be local. However, trapping bass this way within the confines of a resonant chamber such as the space between walls might work.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1