What bit rate to export for dial up modems?

Author
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
2005/12/11 09:42:15 (permalink)

What bit rate to export for dial up modems?

Hi everyone and thank you in advanced for any advice you give me.

I pretty much done building a web site that I have a plug -in on the first page.....and some mp3 and wma files for listening to samples music we recorded in sonar......

I took my mastered songs and converted them to mp3's and made a note that it was intended for high speed internet -- then I exported the masters to wma in sonar at 16 bit -- 11025 sample rate ---codec wma 9.1 and format VBR quality 10, 44khz Stereo VBR
and ended up with a small and way less better quailty aimed at the dial up modem users

My questions are...... is this as small as i could get for dial up modem? -- and is that too large a file that they will click away from the web pages waiting for them too down load?....... aM I on the right track here?

here are the links to the web pages -- let me know if they are too big for dial up -- better yet if you have a dial up let me know if the wma files load too slow that u think people would click away from the web site

home page embedded wma

listen to song samples page
post edited by Mooch4056 - 2005/12/11 09:46:00

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

2 Replies Related Threads

Ethan Winer
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: What bit rate to export for dial up modems? 2005/12/11 10:28:08 (permalink)
    Paul,

> is this as small as i could get for dial up modem? <

I listened to one of your "dial up" WMA versions and it sounded pretty good considering the bit rate.

Back in the days of modems I used to encode everything in RealAudio at 20 Kbps, which sounds terrible. Then when hi-speed Internet became more common I added parallel MP3 versions at 128 Kbps. Just a few months ago I removed all the low-res RealAudio versions because they sound so bad. There's nothing wrong with having two versions, but if I was stuck with a modem today I'd rather wait five minutes to download a song at higher quality than hear a low-res version that's all swirly sounding but can stream.

--Ethan
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: What bit rate to export for dial up modems? 2005/12/11 18:37:02 (permalink)
    Thanx Ethan ....anyone else? Bump

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1