What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't?

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/09 12:54:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

ORIGINAL: TerryJames

They most certainly cannot do "more" than an analogue console, no more than cgi can do more than a real car chase.

Look at the crappy car chase scenes in "XXX" with Ice Cube. It's pathetic! Obviously, the Director has never driven a real race car, or been in any high speed chase.

A Lotus with a 427? I've driven one; the moviemakers obviously have not. The thing would be in pieces on those railroad tracks, not negotiating them or bouncing sidewise in midair. The car can't do it, and the film looks "phoney."

The previous "XXX" with Vin Diesel, looks real because a real Corvette went over the canyon.

Digital just can't cut it when it comes to "reality."

this is an imperfect analogy at best. while you could analogize (pun intended) the benefits of film vs. DV (as compared
to tape vs. digitial audio), digital audio doesn't synthesize music any more than analog tape synthesized "switched
on bach"

synthesis done badly in any medium is well ... bad .... i believe Ed Wood's movies were all "analog" .. had awesome
special Fx too ..

jeff

Boy, this train jumped the tracks some time ago, huh? Just a thought (admittedly off-topic) on the passing parade...

I realized after watching the Academy Awards the other night that the film industry is even more conservative about these things (*old* versus *new* media formats) than the audio industry. Sure, the FX are done with CGI, but the live action is still being filmed (in 70 mm?), and the final product is released as reels of celluloid film (35 mm?). I've heard rumblings that theaters will someday switch to digital projectors, but AFAIK this hasn't come about quite yet.

So the audio industry can rightly claim to be more forward-thinking (tongue planted firmly in cheek)...
Tom Roussell [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/09 13:49:21 (permalink)
Unfortunately, this topic has veered too far from what's acceptable.

Tom
Cakewalk
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1