The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2011/12/27 13:55:23 (permalink)

What dBu is 0dBFS?

Time for a riddle?

What dBu is 0dBFS?

The online calculator will not tell me.

We can go with either peak or RMS but we should probably stick to one or the other.

I'll give you a hint: Jeff Evans already knows the answer. ;-)

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 14:21:48 (permalink)
It depends. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 14:59:17 (permalink)

shux

drewfx1
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 15:25:20 (permalink)
I'm glad we cleared that up for everyone...

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 15:35:59 (permalink)

:-)

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 23:23:21 (permalink)
Trick question. dBu is a measure of voltage applied across a reference impedance, and all my VU meters are digital and therefore have neither voltage nor impedance. And they don't make that little "ping-splat" sound when you peg them, either.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 23:40:56 (permalink)
Interesting. dBu could then be transformed directly into power output in watts. Voltage across load squared, divided by load DC resistance will give you the power output in watts. I've never seen a dBu output listed for an amplifier, but that's likely because I don't work with high end audio and also because I've not seen everything.

So if dBu can be transformed into output power what is the relationship between output power and loudness?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/27 23:44:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hate to get pedantic, especially at this hour, but what the heck...

It really is a trick question, on several levels!

First, dBu is a voltage ratio, it cares not about impedance.

It is derived from dB, which is a power ratio, and as such cares quite a bit about impedance. dBm is a special case of dB, it uses 1mW across 600 ohms as the reference.

For completeness:

0 dBu = 0.7746Vrms, which is about the voltage across a 600 ohm resistor when 1 mW is dissipated.

(The "u" is supposed to stand for "unterminated" - but that may be folk lore. )

0 dBV = 1Vrms, and I've heard about a dozen explanations as to why we need two voltage references, none of them are satisfactory!

The next problem with the original question, and this tricks a LOT of people, is that all references dB values use rms voltages as their references. Therefore dB is, sorta kinda, an rms measurement as well. Or rather it has become one.

dBFS is a Peak reference, it's just the way it is.

So the first thing you need to do if you are trying to compare dBu to dBFS is convert rms to peak-to-peak or peak-to-peak to rms.

And then there's the uber-problem - it can't be done. Each designer chooses a value, in dBFS, to represent their nominal operating level.

It can be anything, but tends to fall in the range of -12 dBFS to -18 dBFS, depending on how much headroom they thought was necessary.

Bottom line is that you are going to have to figure this out for each piece of gear that includes an A/D or D/A converter. I really wish more folks would include this as a specification!!!
post edited by wst3 - 2011/12/27 23:48:47

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
The Maillard Reaction
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 08:30:04 (permalink)
"So the first thing you need to do if you are trying to compare dBu to dBFS is convert rms to peak-to-peak or peak-to-peak to rms.

And then there's the uber-problem - it can't be done. Each designer chooses a value, in dBFS, to represent their nominal operating level.

It can be anything, but tends to fall in the range of -12 dBFS to -18 dBFS, depending on how much headroom they thought was necessary.

Bottom line is that you are going to have to figure this out for each piece of gear that includes an A/D or D/A converter. I really wish more folks would include this as a specification!!!"

Reading stuff like this makes me think that, technically, perhaps I should consider all of this stuff before I tell someone, I don't really know and have only met on the inter web, what the ideal "levels" to record at are when they are hooking up a preamp to an interface.

:-)

I was looking at an interface the other day and it's Pro line level input had a max input of +4dBu. Not nominal, but rather +4dBu MAXIMUM input.

It reminded me of how we have to consider the whole signal chain.

For example; If I tried to use that interface with my rack of gear that is all comfortable running at +20dBu output then I'd be having some dBFS trouble. :-)

In that particular circumstance, the mic input on the interface is actually rated at 21dBu Max and it has a 5kOhm input impedance so it may be the better choice. You probably should try both and decide.

Just a random thought... and yes a riddle or a trick question.

It's great to see the someone was willing to break it down and explain it.

Thanks to everyone and a special thanks to Bill!

best regards,
mike

JeffinOz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 15:57:08 (permalink)
Mike this is not so much a trick question but an important one I believe! I would like to chime in on this because levels are a bit of a fascination for me. Firstly with these sorts of tests when you make a continuous sine wave at a certain level it is the very tops of the wave that are measured. (not the actual rms level which is 3 db down from that) It is not peak to peak as mentioned here.

It is useful to measure actual rms voltages that are coming out of audio interfaces and the like when signals of certain levels are present. And when you are doing this too you must take the measurement over the balanced outputs eg pins 2/3 of an XLR or Ring/Tip of the TRS connector if you have one. Otherwise these values will be 6 db out as well. It is best to use a decent digital true rms voltmeter as well. (not all are true rms so beware)

I use a Yamaha digital mixer that has a built in oscillator and when I set it for -14 db FS I measure exactly +4dbu on the main outs. If I set it for 0db FS I naturally get a signal that is 14 db higher. (eg +18 dbu or approx 7 volts over 1.23 volts rms) This is why I think -14 db is one of the magic reference levels. And it is also 6db higher than the -20db FS level that Bob Katz talks about and that is the reference used in movie theatre soundtracks. (That means that the sound is averaging -20 db FS in the playback medium and producing 85 db SPL out in the theatre. Then there is 20 db of headoom and the level can reach 105 db SPL if needed and they seem to be up there a lot of the time!)

A good thing to do is to generate some sinewaves (at precise levels) in a program like Adobe  Audtion and play them back them back in your DAW with everything set at unity with no processing etc and measure the actual rms levels that are present on your analog outputs. Now when I playback a -14 db FS sine wave I get the exact -14db level being sent digitally from the soundcard to the digital mixer which should be so. The analog outs on my sound card are actually at +5 dbu which is obviously 1 db out.  (If your interface has switchable output levels as some do eg -10 or +4 you need to set for +4 obviously) A 0db FS sinewave produces +19 db at the analog outs of my interface. So although that is out slightly can you see why -14db is an important digital reference level.

That is why I like the Katz system of levels and metering. I work at -14 db FS a lot of the time and also -12 db FS in some cases and of course -20 db FS for higher quality work with the best sounding transients. I think -18 is being dropped maybe in favour of -20 instead as it is more of a standard.

So playback a 0 db FS sinewave and measure the analog outs on your interface. Then drop the level until you get +4 at the outputs instead. The amount you have to come down to do it should be the ref level you should be working at.

And this brings me to another topic which I won't go into here much but we need to be concerned with rms levels way more that we are. People are too concerned with peak levels in a DAW but you should strive to keep all your rms levels the same on tracks and busses and the final masterbuss. Not peaks. They will take care of themselves! All you have to do is choose a suitable ref level. It makes tracking and mixing much easier and far more consistent. You need decent VU meters though to be able to monitor all this. And they need to be calibrated so they show 0db VU for the working digital ref level. There are plugins and they work quite well and can be set to agree with real VU's too but they fall down with the ballistics.

Some DAW's (I won't mention any names!) can switch their metering directly into K system so -20 or -14 etc shows 0db VU instead. (With the headroom above the 0db Vu mark) Very handy.

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 19:17:11 (permalink)
>>>>>0 dBu = 0.7746Vrms, which is about the voltage across a 600 ohm resistor when 1 mW is dissipated.

(The "u" is supposed to stand for "unterminated" - but that may be folk lore. )

0 dBV = 1Vrms, and I've heard about a dozen explanations as to why we need two voltage references, none of them are satisfactory!<<<<<<<

Only thing I ever read was the 0.775 Vrms is for home consumer electronics (stereo amps, and anything like that)

1Vrms is for professional equipment, and it will always be that way.

Whether good home consumer audio equipment is any different I do not know, but I doubt it.

A line out on my old Pevey Amp (years ago) puts out 1Vrms.
My stereo (years ago - a NAD) puts out 0.775Vrms and those are the two standards.

JeffinOz
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 19:30:06 (permalink)
You have got it wrong spaceaif. The 1v reference is actually for domestic equipment ie -10 dbv being used to represent typical domestic levels. 0.316 volts I think. (the 1v standard was used many years ago for telephone systems over 600 lines but it was dropped because 0.775 volts works out much better at 1mw power into a 600 ohm load)

The 0.775 v rms ref level is for professional gear now and is NOT impedance dependant like it used to be. The +4 dbu standard is used for high end pro gear and is still based around the 0.775 v rms ref level. It is just that they are running at +4db over 0.775 v rms so that higher volatges are running around the typical analog studio. (eg 1.23 volts) Less signal loss etc.

It is confusing I do agree though because for some reason when it comes to talking about domestic levels we suddenly jump to the 1v reference again. But for everything else 0.775V is the reference level.
spacealf
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 19:42:37 (permalink)
Not arguing, but the manuals state that. What reference they are using now I do not know,
but home consumer electronics is at -10dBu and professional equipment is at 0dBu back then.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 19:48:29 (permalink)

Perhaps you are speaking of 0dBVu and -10dBVu?

Which were common meter readings visible on the front panels of equipment respectively calibrated to +4dBu and -10dBV nominal output levels.

best regards,
mike

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 20:02:23 (permalink)
I'm so confused.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
spacealf
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 20:07:07 (permalink)
Yes Mike.  And out of the RME Babyface manual, the analog input lines of the Babyface can be used with +4dBu (professional equipment) and -10dBV signals (home consumer electronics).
I added the parentheses because that is the way it is usually thought of in my opinion.
As to the dB whatever terminology, I get confused there also.
Now I see that 0dBFS also in this manual on which I have no idea unless it is in the manual to read about.

spacealf
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 21:13:54 (permalink)
0dBFS is a digital voltage level (peak) and y dBVU or dBu is an analog voltage level (RMS).
Digital and analogue are two totally different realms.
Link below: (and other tidbits of info included first)

In professional audio, equipment may be calibrated to indicate a "0" on the VU meters some finite time after a signal has been applied at an amplitude of +4 dBu. Consumer equipment will more often use a much lower "nominal" signal level of -10 dBV.[24] Therefore, many devices offer dual voltage operation (with different gain or "trim" settings) for interoperability reasons. A switch or adjustment that covers at least the range between +4 dBu and -10 dBV is common in professional equipment.

https://secure.wikimedia....ipedia/en/wiki/Decibel

What is dBu? A logarithmic voltage ratio with a reference voltage of V0 = 0.7746 volt ≡ 0 dBu
What is dBV? A logarithmic voltage ratio with a reference voltage of V0 = 1.0000 volt ≡ 0 dBV
The home recording level (consumer audio) of −10 dBV means 0.3162 volts, that is −7.78 dBu.
The studio recording level (pro audio) of +4 dBu means 1.228 volts.
The maximum undistorted level of audio amplifiers is +18 dBu. In USA it is +24 dBu.
Domestic gear with a −10 dBV level is usually unbalanced. Studio gear with a +4 dBu level is always balanced.
http://www.sengpielaudio..m/calculator-db-volt.htm

There is no such standardized reference. x dBFS is a digital voltage
level (peak) and y dBVU or dBu is an analog voltage level (RMS).
Digital and analogue are two totally different realms.
That's why there is no relation between dBFS and dBVU or dBu, whatsoever.

bitflipper
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/28 22:47:02 (permalink)

0 dBu = 0.7746Vrms, which is about the voltage across a 600 ohm resistor when 1 mW is dissipated.

Just a point of netiquette, spacealf: when you're pasting text from Wikipedia, it's customary to quote it and give credit to the original source.

(Referring to your first post. I see you've given proper credit in the second one.)

My Stuff
spacealf
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 01:33:47 (permalink)
The first post was from the text in wst3 post on this thread. I'll I have to make that clear next time. I guess there is a quote also but I did not want to quote the entire post just that part in which I suppose I was perhaps discussing something else with all that dBu and dBV stuff which is posted in my other post.

SCorey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 538
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 11:19:33 (permalink)
And to further confuse things, the AES has defined 0 dBFS RMS to be the same as a 997 Hz digital sine wave that reaches a peak of 0 dBFS. That's not how Sonar measures RMS, so if you want to conform to the AES measurement standard (like if you're using the Katz K-Metering system) you need to take into account the ~3 dB discrepancy with Sonar's RMS meters.

And as another point of interest, all the pro video gear I work with will produce +24 dBu given a full scale digital sine wave. And the inverse: +24 dBu on the input to the A/D will produce full scale digital. Most of the compact audio mixers out there will clip* right around +20 dBu. The little Soundcraft mixers handle it ok.

*clip being the point of a certain amount of distortion. They start to get nasty well below that.

-Steve Corey
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 12:38:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
just a couple of niggling little clarifications, most of the most recent info is correct, BUT (and in no particular order<G>)...

there is no relationship between signal level, signal balance, and signal symmetry.

- signal balance means that the impedance from each of two conductors to ground is equal. Nothing more, nothing less, and it is the basis for driving a balanced input, where commom mode noise can be rejected through summing. A electronically balanced input can be driven by a single-ended (unbalanced) source with minimal penalty. A transformer balanced input can be driven by a single-ended source with almost no penalty. One of the biggest advantages of a balanced circuit is the twist of the signal pair, which cancels any magnetically induced signal (twist has little or no effect on RF or electrically induced intereference.)

- signal symmetry means that the signal is present on two conductors, but the polarity (not the phase) is opposite, and the amplitude is equal. Symmetry is NOT required for a balanced interface. And symmetry is not possible on a single-ended circuit (yeah, obvious, but in the spirit of completeness).

There is no requirement that either interface operate at a specific level. However, common practice suggests that balanced interfaces operate at a nominal signal level of +4 dBu and single-ended interfaces operate at a nominal signal level of -10 dBV. The former is often referred to as "Professional" and the later as "Consumer". There are balanced interfaces on professional gear that operate at -10 dBV, but they are rare, and most likely the result of non-audio people designing audio gear.

Nominal Levels is a bit more complex!

The whole idea of nominal operating level stems from the desire, on the part of broadcasters and telephone companies, to be able to describe perceived loudness. Good luck with that!

The Volume Indicator was developer to meter audio in a way that was somehow analagous to human hearing. The meter movement is damped such that it indicates volume level to the eye in the same way the ear perceives it.

The Volume Unit was the unit of measure for the Volume Indicator.

There was a need to calibrate the Volume Indicator to whatever was going on in the electronics that were driving it. The first such "standard" was 0 VU = +8 dBu (and yes, I'm skipping an entire generation of metering for simplicity - it was actually +8 dBm). Not a misprint, broadcasters still use +8 dBu as their 0 VU indicator.

The recording industry needed a bit more headroom, and adopted the reference of 0 VU = +4 dBu. The exact reasoning is lost in the mists of time - at least as far as I can tell - but analog tape was capable of somewhat more dynamic range than the typical FM transmitter of the day, so that appears to be the driving force.

There is NO Maximum Output Level, Maximum Operating Level, or any such metric. Each circuit has a level at which it distorts, and it is dependent on the power supply first, and certain other design details, such as the ability of active circuit elements to operate from rail to rail, second.

All of which leads us back to the original question.

There is no standard relationship between digital signal levels and analog levels, as I and many others have pointed out. It is entirely up to the circuit designer to create such a relationship. In the circuits that I've designed I've always favored headroom over S/N ratio, and I choose -18 dBFS as my nominal operating level. Sometimes the marketing guys fight with me<G>!

What this means, among other things, is that there remains 18 dB of headroom after you reach the nominal operating level. That is there to account for both musical peaks (which we've always had to deal with) and crest factor (which was less of an issue in the bad old days.)

One last point before I do the math - dBFS is an instantaneous measurement, that is, it represents the maximum excursion at any moment in time, usually a moment in time is 1/48,000th of a second, or 1/96,000th of a second - the inverse of the sample rate.

So while it is not, strictly speaking, either a peak or a peak to peak measurement we need to treat it as such. I can dig deeper if anyone wishes, but I'll leave it at hand-waving for now.

The math:

I have an analog circuit operating from a bipolar 18V supply,
thus the maximum signal level (*assuming an ideal opamp or transistor) is

36Vp-p = 18Vp = 12.7Vrms = 24.3dBu = 22.1dBV = 0dBFS

This represents the clipping point for both analog and digital domains. The actual voltage presented to the A/D converter depends on the chip, and it ranges from 3V to 5V for most commercially available convters today.

So the next problem is to scale our 36Vpp signal to 5Vp (most A/D chips have a single-ended input, or, if they have a differential input it is halved, still limited to a 5V swing.)

But that's really neither here nor there for our purposes... what we care about is scaling our nominal operating level according to some arbitrary rule that we get to set.

Max input, before clipping, is +24 dBu. Nominal operating level is +4 dBu. That's 20 dB of headroom, which is pretty darned good. Keep in mind that we've already converted from Vpp to Vrms. If we set our digital nominal operating level to -20dBFS then we're done, well, except for the whole scaling bit<G>!

If we decrease the analog power supply to +/-15V we lower our max signal:
30Vpp = 15Vp = 10.6Vrms = 22.7dBu = 20.5dBV, and headroom is decreased to 18dB, thus our digital operating level would be -18dBFS.

Decreaseing the analog power supply to +/-12V gives us:
24Vpp = 12Vp = 8.5Vrms = 20.8dBu = 18.5dBV, headroom = 16 dB, and the digital operating level would be -16dBFS.

Is this making sense?

The last wrench we throw into the works is that some designers prefer to shade things in favor of S/N ratio, and raise the digital nominal operating level to -12dBFS, or even higher.

If -12dBFS = 0VU = +4 dBu then in the analog world we end up with a maximum operating level of +16 dBu before the onset of digital clipping, and therefore we need only +/-7VDC for our power supply. (+16 dBu = 13.8Vpp = 6.9Vp = 4.9Vrms)

In the real world that would probably use a +/-9V power supply, giving us a little more headroom in the analog domain.

That's enough for now I think, let me know if I've created more questions than I've answered! (and feel free to check my math<G>!)

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
The Maillard Reaction
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 12:58:14 (permalink)
"36Vp-p = 18Vp = 12.7Vrms = 24.3dBu = 22.1dBV = 0dBFS

This represents the clipping point for both analog and digital domains. The actual voltage presented to the A/D converter depends on the chip, and it ranges from 3V to 5V for most commercially available conv
[er]ters today."

That's a whole lot of info.

Thanks very much Bill!!!

very best regards,
mike

bitflipper
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 15:29:02 (permalink)
... the AES has defined 0 dBFS RMS to be the same as a 997 Hz digital sine wave that reaches a peak of 0 dBFS. That's not how Sonar measures RMS, so ... you need to take into account the ~3 dB discrepancy with Sonar's RMS meters.

This comment inspired me to perform some experiments that led to a surprising observation: SONAR's peak markers are not displaying peak values.

I used Adobe Audition to generate a 997Hz, 0db peak sinewave test tone. But when I imported the file into SONAR, it showed the peak value as -3db. I loaded the file back into Audition and used the Amplitude Statistics feature to verify that it did indeed peak at 0db.  I checked the level within SONAR using SPAN, which reported the peak as 0db (and RMS at the expected -3db).

It would appear that the little green flags I've always called "peak markers" are in fact displaying peak RMS, not actual peak values.

My Stuff
drewfx1
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 16:37:51 (permalink)
bitflipper

... the AES has defined 0 dBFS RMS to be the same as a 997 Hz digital sine wave that reaches a peak of 0 dBFS. That's not how Sonar measures RMS, so ... you need to take into account the ~3 dB discrepancy with Sonar's RMS meters.

This comment inspired me to perform some experiments that led to a surprising observation: SONAR's peak markers are not displaying peak values.

I used Adobe Audition to generate a 997Hz, 0db peak sinewave test tone. But when I imported the file into SONAR, it showed the peak value as -3db. I loaded the file back into Audition and used the Amplitude Statistics feature to verify that it did indeed peak at 0db.  I checked the level within SONAR using SPAN, which reported the peak as 0db (and RMS at the expected -3db).

It would appear that the little green flags I've always called "peak markers" are in fact displaying peak RMS, not actual peak values.

Since it works properly for me, I'm betting you are applying -3dB of gain somewhere.

SCorey
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/29 18:48:37 (permalink)
To bitflipper: Let me guess, your pan law is set to -3 dB center, you have a mono file with mono interleave?

-Steve Corey
JeffinOz
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/30 00:30:50 (permalink)
Dave it is well known that the Sonar meters are in fact reading the true rms value as being 3 db down from the peak. Steve there is no such thing as mono interleaved file as far as I know. Good point because it always important to make stereo test signals not mono, for that very reason. The pan laws come into play.

Also Steve it is very interesting that your gear puts out +24 dbu when presented with a 0 db FS digital signal. That implies then that your setup will work nicely at -20 db as the reference level.

There is in fact a direct relationship between the digital level and the analog output of your interface.  They both are linked, as one goes up so does the other! What varies between system to system is what output level is going to leave your audio interface when certain digital levels are present.  Another rerason why I like digital mixers and all that. There are no variations there.  In Steve's case 0db FS presents +24 dbu at the output of his interface I assume but on my Yamaha digital mixer for example it is +18 dbu instead. (Analog outs that is) It does not matter that much because if you are feeding an analog mixer for a mix session then there will certainly be line input trims that you can adjust for variations.

Thanks too wst3 for some interesting detailed analysis. I think we can all agree that a reference level of either -18 or -20 is a good place to be. I find -14 pretty OK for a lot of general work though because when you are mastering you are already 6 db up on the -20 ref level material. Slightly less work to get the signal louder for final loud masters. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just stay at -20 and be done with it! The music sounds the best when I hear it there.

bitflipper
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/30 12:08:32 (permalink)
I'm betting you are applying -3dB of gain somewhere.

Let me guess, your pan law is set to -3 dB center, you have a mono file with mono interleave?

Those would have been my responses, too, had someone else posted my observation. But no, all faders and trims are set to zero and there are no plugins. 

And yes, it is a mono file on a mono-interleaved track. But my preferred pan law is 0db center. (Yes, Jeff, I agree there is no such thing as a "mono interleave", but there is such a thing as a non-interleaved file. Same thing.)

And anyway, wouldn't pan laws only come into play when the mono track becomes stereo, either by conversion in a plugin or when routed to a stereo bus? 

My Stuff
drewfx1
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/30 12:18:52 (permalink)
bitflipper

I'm betting you are applying -3dB of gain somewhere.

Let me guess, your pan law is set to -3 dB center, you have a mono file with mono interleave?

Those would have been my responses, too, had someone else posted my observation. But no, all faders and trims are set to zero and there are no plugins. 

I'm a bit baffled then. Maybe you can try it again with both a square wave and a sine wave (with identical peak levels) to make sure?

SCorey
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/30 13:17:01 (permalink)
Hmmm. I tried the same thing as bitflipper: created a 997 Hz mono file in Audition and brought it into Sonar X1e. (are you using X1e, bitflipper?) I also have the pan law set at 0 dB center. The buss peak marker always showed 0 dB.

But then I started playing around with the pan law and interleave settings. When I set the pan law to -3 dB center and the track to mono interleave (or... stereo interleave off...), the buss peak marker showed -3 dB. As expected.

But then, after a bunch of switching around of interleave and pan law, the level was somehow boosted to +3 dBFS. There was no panning going on so there wouldn't have been a boost from that. "Looks like a bug" I thought.

But I tried to reproduce it on a new project and I can't. Weird intermittent bug maybe?

-Steve Corey
bitflipper
Re:What dBu is 0dBFS? 2011/12/30 13:29:04 (permalink)
Well, I love a mystery. Thanks for your observations, Steve and Drew. 

I am going to take Drew's advice and repeat the test with a square wave for grins. I generally don't like square waves for anything other than calibrating oscilloscopes, since in digital audio there really isn't any such thing. But it could be informative.
BTW, I use 8.5, not X1. The behavior may have changed between versions.

My Stuff
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1