What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals

Author
danbottomburp
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
2017/06/03 13:26:01 (permalink)

What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals

On his solo albums he has that distinctive sound to his vocals, is he doubling up or maybe reverb etc etc 
Not so much echo but, I'm sure you know what I mean, mainly from "amused to death" and a lot from his newest album "is this the life" 
How can I apply that kind of effect the easiest way, can I get some suggestions and techniques I can try please. 

Asus Z270F Motherboard
Intel core i7 7700k
BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200
Samsung 830 SSD SATA III 256GB 6GBPS 2.5"
Coolermaster 600W Silentpro PSU
Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 64bit
Behringer c-1 condensor mic
Line 6 Helix Rack 

15 Replies Related Threads

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/03 15:10:56 (permalink)
    I don't know what he used.
    But take a look at Roland Dimension D. This effect was used in the 1980s for countless productions.
    There is a perfect emulation from UAD:
    In the mid of the video  5:30  is a example with a voice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKKmdDH7lMw

Maybe that is what you search.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/03 15:18:30 (permalink)
    He uses a bit of slap-back delay sometimes on his stuff. Is that what you are talking about? A short delay used very subtlely in the mix. Name a particular track of his that has the effect you are referring to.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/03 18:04:46 (permalink)
    The Floyd boys were huge fans of the Roland Space Echo, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was indeed a nice tape-based slapback effect on there.

Also, I don't know about Waters but all the other vocals were judiciuosly double-tracked (and sometimes with Gilmour and Wright both singing, so now you're talking about FOUR voices!) and I wouldn't be surprised if Waters did it too...his voice was noticeably thinner than Gilmour's so he'd need the extra weight to compete. 

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/03 22:02:59 (permalink)
    Yes - that sounds like Dimension D + Roland Space Echo. Both are since many years emulations from UAD. With Dimension D you can double the voice - and the space echo does the slapback. And UAD is studio standard.
    They call the emulations Galaxy tape echo & studio d chorus.
    http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/delay-modulation.html

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 02:18:39 (permalink)
    I use Guitar Rig 4s tape echo unit, which is an emulation of the Floyd's early binson echo unit. One of the first echo units produced, using metallic tape...I just had to check, because I always thought the binson used wire...maybe the metallic tape looks like wire?

You could also use Kramer's Waves master tape effect, which replicates tape based echo. Sonar comes with its own echo unit...it's in the Nomad Suite of effects, perfectly acceptable.

Waters probably does use some sort of double tracking too. Sonar again has a device for that, this is the vox align plug, but if you want something with more modulation, there is Wave's Doubler effect, which I use for everything lol...remember ABBA use to triple track everything if I remember correctly. Finally, there is Waves ADT which emulates The Beatle's ADT device, built by Ken Scott, second engineer at Abbey Road in 1966 to accommodate Lennon's laziness. :).  

There are other things to take into account when thinking about Water's like vocals too, like understanding proper gain staging when mixing. 

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    35mm
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 02:35:52 (permalink)
    I've never noticed Waters double-tracking his vocals. But I haven't listened to him recently. If we had a track to go on we could work out the effect you are after! Roger's voice is normally recorded and mixed quite dry apart from a bit of slap-back sometimes - he has quite a strong voice so not so sure he would choose to double track if he doesn't need to.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    BenMMusTech
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 05:52:09 (permalink)
    35mm
    I've never noticed Waters double-tracking his vocals. But I haven't listened to him recently. If we had a track to go on we could work out the effect you are after! Roger's voice is normally recorded and mixed quite dry apart from a bit of slap-back sometimes - he has quite a strong voice so not so sure he would choose to double track if he doesn't need to.

Yea you're right about Water's and double tracking, I was just chucking extra information in :). Some modulation effect can be useful either on vocals or on the delay or verb too. 

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    danbottomburp
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 08:28:36 (permalink)
    Hi all , Thanks for the many replies , Thats a lot for me to check out.

I guess the song that could best showcase what i want is a song called "Three Wishes" from his album "Amused to Death" 
    If i got that down,I could lessen the effect somewhat for other projects.But that track is basically what id like to achieve.

Thanks again for all the replies

Dan 

Asus Z270F Motherboard
    Intel core i7 7700k
    Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 64bit
    Line 6 Helix Rack 

lapasoa
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 08:52:38 (permalink)
    In the early P.Floyd the Hammond man Richard Wright used an Echo Binson, a very good echo tape/disk made by an italian manifacturer. Now it's out of production from approximately 30 or 40 years.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 10:54:35 (permalink)
    danbottomburp

I guess the song that could best showcase what i want is a song called "Three Wishes" from his album "Amused to Death" 
    If i got that down,I could lessen the effect somewhat for other projects.But that track is basically what id like to achieve.

Dan 

That doesn't sound like double tracking to me, but as suggested above, a short slap-back delay/echo should get you in the right area

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    danbottomburp
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/04 15:32:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyone's input,I will have some fun trying out these suggestions.

Many thanks again 

Dan 

Asus Z270F Motherboard
    Intel core i7 7700k
    Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 64bit
    Line 6 Helix Rack 

BenMMusTech
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/05 00:55:17 (permalink)
    danbottomburp

Dan 

That's backwards reverb, something I use often on drums, and vocals. :)

Ben

danbottomburp
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/05 08:41:18 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    danbottomburp

Dan 

Ben

Got any examples  ? Of you using it on vocals , Would be cool to hear and maybe you can share your settings ;)

Asus Z270F Motherboard
    Intel core i7 7700k
    Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 64bit
    Line 6 Helix Rack 

emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/05 13:30:30 (permalink)
    Waters also liked to track his vocals sitting on a billiard table. This started around Animals and continued through most of his solo career. Most of the vocals we know from early Floyd were done at Abbey Road so odds are you were looking at a U-47 mic at some point. There were notable exceptions on albums such as Meddle and Obscured by Clouds which were done at different studios as was The Wall.

35mm
    Re: What effects can I use to emulate Roger Waters vocals 2017/06/05 14:18:43 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech
    danbottomburp

Dan 

Ben

I don't think he meant the voice of the genie. I think me meant the main vocal part. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1