What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
2011/03/12 14:08:42 (permalink)

What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange?

I'm using Trilian now and I love it.  I normally I haven't put many effects on the bass besides compression / amp sim.  I've recently been using the Ultra Chorus and I am amazed at how much it defines the bass in a mix.  I set the depth of the chorus very low - like 20% so it is pretty subtle and it makes a big difference.

I'm also boosting the mids quite a bit and reducing the lows (which is counter-intuitive I guess).  This seems to help a lot.

Am I headed in the right direction?  Anybody else use chorus on Bass? 

Are there any other techniques you use to get a "killer" rock bass sound?

42 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 16:14:01 (permalink)
    I USE ZERO EFFECTS ON BASS.

save compression, and limiting.

it's fine to use them for 'effect' at short periods of time, but any time effect will wash your sound out and diminish both the tone and the impact.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

marcus3
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 16:14:47 (permalink)
    Hmm Msaybe tiny bit reverb some people use. also tremlo (i think i spelt dat right)
    When i do music i just miss round and add little of stuff. Also flanger is good.
    You can use Chorus\flanger combo.
    guitartrek
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 16:32:15 (permalink)
    batsbrew

it's fine to use them for 'effect' at short periods of time, but any time effect will wash your sound out and diminish both the tone and the impact.

Bat - Thanks for you comments.  What you said is exactly how I've been doing it for years.  I was working on Journey's Don't Stop Believin and I tried their old technique of putting a chorus on the bass and I was amazed.  Keep in mind that I'm only using a hint of chorus - not the full effect (not as much as they used)

When the effect is full - it does wash out the sound.  But when I cut the effect down significantly, the bass tone comes alive.  Maybe it is something with Trilian's chorus, but it does not wash out the tone or diminish the impact.  It seems to enhance it.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 17:40:17 (permalink)
    Effects on bass are dangerous. Chorus can be nice but it really takes the punch out and doesn't work for aggressive tunes. I like to use distortion, though, to add some upper harmonics that give the bass a more melodic presence.

Since we're talking sampled bass rather than real guitars, another trick is to clone the bass track and drive another sample set in parallel. This isn't my invention, it's actually a very old trick. The second patch is usually a regular guitar or a muted guitar patch, optionally tuned down if the sampler allows that.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    guitartrek
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 18:25:04 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Effects on bass are dangerous. Chorus can be nice but it really takes the punch out and doesn't work for aggressive tunes. I like to use distortion, though, to add some upper harmonics that give the bass a more melodic presence.

Since we're talking sampled bass rather than real guitars, another trick is to clone the bass track and drive another sample set in parallel. This isn't my invention, it's actually a very old trick. The second patch is usually a regular guitar or a muted guitar patch, optionally tuned down if the sampler allows that.

Thanks Bit.  That's a good idea about the cloned bass track.  

Here's an example of what I've done - You can't really hear the chorus and the bass seems to be very solid and well defined.  No? 

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9429511

Any suggestions on how to make it sound better?
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 18:54:23 (permalink)
    batsbrew

Ditto...exactly.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 19:46:20 (permalink)
    A lot of funk players use one of these on some songs:

bitflipper
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 21:59:02 (permalink)
    Great song and arrangement! Great mix, too. I'm listening to it on headphones at the moment so I can't judge bass all that well. But I can definitely hear it, always the first requirement.

Too bad it's not as punchy as the drums, but maybe it doesn't have to be for this kind of song. I'd try an amp sim on it just to see if adding a little grit might help, but that's only going to fatten the tone and won't help with punch.

Try that doubling trick. I have a couple of favorite SampleTank patches I use for layering over bass. One's an amped Hofner, the other's a muted Gretsch 6-string down-tuned. Both give a nice bump to the attack without getting in the way of the main bass sound.

Go to my Soundclick page (link's in my sig) and listen to "Pink #4" for a sample. That's the down-tuned Gretsch over a generic picked bass sample that's pretty amorphous by itself but with the Gretsch overlaid it acquires definition. Not to suggest that this is the sound you need for your song, it's certainly not. Just an example for demonstration purposes.

My Stuff
    guitartrek
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/12 23:40:52 (permalink)
    Bit - Pink4 sounds excellent.  That's a great song.  And it is a great example of a good tight bass.  Very nice bass sound.  And great mix.  what to you mean it's a down tuned gretsch?  So it is two bass instruments layered?

It's actually close in tone to mine.. Here is another one of mine that is a better example of tight base with the same setting as my previous.  It kicks in right away.  I'm using trilian's smoke amp sim which sounds pretty good to me.  I'm really impressed with Trilian.  I'm using 17% mix of their ultra chorus.
     Even with just 17% it thickens the bass.  Maybe the chorus has a bump in gain, and I'd get the same presence if I just turned up the output a little.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10389337
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 08:17:17 (permalink)
    Wow, I haven't heard the wall since the late 1970's... your versions sounds great.

I love the vocals.

I think what you are really looking for in the bass guitar is waiting to be discovered in your choice of kick drum tuning.

best regards,
    mike

guitartrek
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 08:56:02 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Wow, I haven't heard the wall since the late 1970's... your versions sounds great.

I love the vocals.

I think what you are really looking for in the bass guitar is waiting to be discovered in your choice of kick drum tuning.

best regards,
    mike

Mike - Thank you for your comments.  (The wall was one of my favoirites from the 70's)  Yes - the kick and the bass are totally integral.  In this case I'm using the stock Superior Drummer 2.0 kick drum (which I love)  with very little EQ and very little compression.  Prior to SD2 I was using Addictive Drums.  I like the SD2 kick better than AD's kick which I had to use tons of EQ and compression to get to sound good. 

You are right - With both kicks I've always had a problem getting the bass to be defined.  I now feel I've accomplished that with 2 changes: 1) a significant bump in the midrange frequency of the bass and 2) a "tad" of the ultra-chorus.  Now I can hear the bass like never before.  What do you mean about the tuning of the kick? 

After hearing Bit's example and reading the responses on this post I'm realizing that I don't need the chorus although a "touch" of it isn't hurting. 

Geno
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 09:03:31 (permalink)
    Hi Geno,
     I'm suggesting that you may find that a different drum sample (or tuning if it's a live kick) that is a bit lower in tone and perhaps harmonically related to the exact song in question will elevate the sound of the bass and the bass will float on top and seemingly sound louder and more apparent. I think that will happen without touching the bass track.

I think that is the sort of attention to detail that went into the making of the records you are comparing your work too.

I also think that you are at that point in your career where you should pursue those sorts of details. Everything else is so nice... you might as well keep going and take it to the limit.

all the best,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/03/13 09:05:36

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 10:07:27 (permalink)
    Zero FX on Bass for me too.

FX on a bass, in my opinion, totally ruin the sound of a bass. It would be like building the foundation of a house out of Styrofoam.... 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 10:37:44 (permalink)
    Usually a little distortion. But with my funk stuff, I use an autowah and some other craziness.
    mikespitzer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 11:31:42 (permalink)
    I tend to agree with many of the others on here ..... unless it is a bass solo type thing . I tend to avoid effects with Rock Bass

A little dirt with the gain in the sound, but minimal reverb so you get a bass sound that is solid, clear note seperation and holds the groove.

Sidenote -- The older I get, the less I fend myself using lots of effects or heavy compressions

Must be me coming full circle in life and realizing I like the way stuff like Led Zepplin, Dio, Black Sabbath and other albums sounded compared to the way CDs are recorded and engineered today with excessive proccessing and effects.

I think when I was younger I thought effects were the secret to good recordings ...... now I have learned better,  well played instruments with their full tonal ranges and dynamics are usually more musical sounding than feeling you need to use every effect in your DAW.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 11:48:05 (permalink)
    Geno.  If you haven't used one, you really should check out a SansAmp Bass Driver.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassDriver/

You can usually find them used for about a hundred.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    bitflipper
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 14:41:46 (permalink)
    what to you mean it's a down tuned gretsch? So it is two bass instruments layered?

Exactly. Two instruments layered. Except one isn't actually a bass patch, it's a regular (muted) guitar sample transposed an octave down. There is a small amount of chorus on both patches, which I added later because the bass initially was actually a little too punchy and I wanted to mellow it out.

A thought on chorus on bass: chorus is ultimately a subtractive filtering effect, so it only works when you have a lot of harmonic content for it to massage. If the bass is too round and mellow, chorus can suck all the color out of it. The initial transient, which has the most high-frequency content, tends to lose out the most. That's why a little distortion in front of the chorus helps by providing the chorus with more upper frequencies to work with.

What's really needed, but does not yet exist to the best of my knowledge, is a delayed chorus. IOW, a chorus with an adjustable attack on the wet/dry mix so you can bring it in gradually after the initial transient. This would allow more liberal use of chorus on things like bass without hurting transients.

My Stuff
    I/O
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/13 16:37:38 (permalink)
    To me it really depends on the desired result.  I like a good clean, unprocessed bass tone sometimes, but on the other hand, take Billy Sheehan as an example.  His tone has always been processed out the wazoo, but it's done in a way that makes it sound like a living, breathing beast.  I love his tone, and it's anything but unprocessed.  Just my wishy washy opinion
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 01:14:57 (permalink)
    The bass in your track sounds perfectly fine, though it's hard to tell with SoundClick's MP3s.  Trillian's basses really shouldn't need anything else.  They're about as perfect as you can make a bass.

An 1176 compressor, my tool of choice for real  bass recordings, would brings out the harmonic content in the bass a bit more. 

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 02:11:42 (permalink)
    i would climb to the top of the highest mountain and ask bapu.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

bitflipper
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 14:08:44 (permalink)
    Although I am not authorized to speak for bapu, I suspect that his official position on this would be to ask why you aren't using a real guitar?

My Stuff
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 14:50:16 (permalink)
    If I want a chorus or flanger on bass, I make a send and put a high pass filter, followed by the chorus... that way it doesn't mush up the bottom end some much... but I seldom use mod fx on bass. IMO, using mod fx on bass makes more sense in a three-piece band.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 17:49:33 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Although I am not authorized to speak for bapu, I suspect that his official position on this would be to ask why you aren't using a real guitar?

Zactly.

bapu
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 17:55:09 (permalink)
    Of the five CHB songs some were exactly as is. Some had amp sims. One used very mild distortion (camel Phat) during a two minute break.

On my bass solo on 2012 (@3:45) I used the UAD Moog filter and the UAD Chorus. The rest of the song was simply my P-Bass direct into my UA LA-610 Preamp (light compression and no other FX). Originally I wanted distortion on the Verse/Chorus sections. Danny convinced me otherwise.

bapu
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 17:59:53 (permalink)
    chuckebaby

i would climb to the top of the highest mountain and ask bapu.

Or just drop by the coffee house?
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 18:32:44 (permalink)
    you tried ampeg svx??

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

bapu
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 18:33:48 (permalink)
    chuckebaby

you tried ampeg svx??

If that was to me: yes I own it. I've used it once or twice.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 21:27:15 (permalink)
    I have ampeg SVT... and it's rocks hard.

I was 101% serious about getting a kick drum sound that makes the bass sound special.

IMO, that's Geno's missing link... everything else is darn near perfect.

all the best,
    mike

guitartrek
    Re:What effects do you use for a Rock Bass sound? Chorus, Flange? 2011/03/14 22:33:18 (permalink)
    OK - after reading all the great feedback - I removed the chorus from the bass yesterday.  If you listened today the chorus is gone. 

Mike - Thank you.  I've only been working with Superior Drummer 2.0 for about 2 months now and I love it.  For the previous 3 years it was Addictive Drummer for me.  And I had a very low tuned kick (about 50hz).  I never was happy with my AD kick and I tried a ton of different settings and tunings.  Now I'm using SD2 and the kick sounds so good with hardly anything done to it.  It has a higher thud (77hz).  Thanks for the ideas - I still have a lot to learn - I'll try different tunings.

jsaras - thanks for your comments.  I'm glad you think that about Trilian bass.  I'm actually using the ProChannel 76 compressor on the bass.  Isn't that supposed to be a model of the 1176?  What settings would you use?

bapu - listening to 2012 as I type this.  Pretty cool stuff there - nice job.  I think the bass sounds great.   Thanks for sharing your settings.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback - I've got a lot of ideas now.  It seems that Bit is having great success with just a little bit of chorus (to the point where you don't hear the chorus effect).  And Bapu's uses chorus on a solo and it sounds great.  Mlockkett's technique of creating a send for a chorus of flanger is good to - that way I can automate and bring in that sound in different areas of a song.  And skullsession - I'll check out the sansamp bass driver.

Geno
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1