What is (Good) Music?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2008/01/25 04:10:55 (permalink)

What is (Good) Music?

(I'm hypothesizing that an understanding of (or faith of) music theories/mysteries should help my technique)

A) Ok; What is music anyway?
B) Or better yet, what is 'good' music to you? Give a reason or 10 why?

If possible, please try to avoid circular reasoning, oxymorons, etc. ... while substantiating this mystery/theory, and/or your own musical 'mystery'.

I'll begin: It seems (IMHO):
1) a metaphysical phenomenon (to be sure); another black-box?
2) like a higher communication?
3) outwardly observable communication: person-to-person, self-to-higher-self, self-to-God, church-to-God?
4) very beautiful (containing much harmony, symmetry, proportion) and excellent?
5) spiritual, sensual, soulish, and yet pertaining to excellence?
6) 'good music' (IMHO) is honest, virtuous, etc., but 'keeps me awake"?
7) to deeply worship and praise another being?

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

52 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 04:41:05 (permalink)
    Philip, to paraphrase Elvis Costello....

''Writing about music is like dancing about architecture''

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 07:36:15 (permalink)
    Music can lead you to or away from someone/something - and usually at a high rate of speed.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    mcjoe
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 08:28:27 (permalink)
    Like most art, If music makes me feel something, it is good.....
    or at least doing it's job.

Sounds, like images and smells, and things we touch are all associated with memories of things that make us feel.

Take a crying baby for example: A mother may feel compation were a teenager may be irritated.

SonarX3 X#a build 209 - x64
    ADM64 family 21 Model 2, Fx (tm) 8350 8-core processor, 
    M-Audio Delta - 44 soundcard ver 6.08
     and Live recoring with :
    Behringer XR-18 mixer  
    X AIR USB ASIO Driver 4.11
    On a Samsung intel. core. i5-3337u CPU 64 bit OS
    Sonar Home Studio, ver. 22.11.0 build 66m [2016.1]-64

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 09:00:57 (permalink)
    A) Melody of harmony; the science of harmonious sounds; the written or printed score of a composition
    B) That is in the ears of the beholder.

But then again I've had verbal suggestions that was "music" to my ears.

Well I tried Philip.

post edited by spacey - 2008/01/25 09:15:30
    boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 10:13:10 (permalink)
    All good music starts with the same thing, a good melody. The great ones have a great melody. The rhythm, harmony, arrangements, mix, presentation, genre are the spices added. But the melody is the part you can hum, whistle, play on a ukulele or on a cheap casio keyboard and everyone recognizes it.

Timeless melodies, like the Blue Danube, are melodies that are so good and so recognizable, that they trancend generations. You may not like classical music, but if someone sings, Da Da Da Da Da, Dum Dum, Dum Dum in 3/4 time, you know it immediately.

My 2 cents,

Scott
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 11:02:45 (permalink)
    (IMO) good music is about being able to state in musical terms an idea that you want to convey more clearly than anyone else has previously done it, for that is the way impressions are left on the mind, and that's the memory that people keep.

people don't remember the type of chord progression you use, they remember why you were using it.
    Philip
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 11:04:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spacey

A) Melody of harmony; the science of harmonious sounds; the written or printed score of a composition
    B) That is in the ears of the beholder.

ORIGINAL: boogielicious

All good music starts with the same thing, a good melody. The great ones have a great melody. The rhythm, harmony, arrangements, mix, presentation, genre are the spices added. But the melody is the part you can hum, whistle, play on a ukulele or on a cheap casio keyboard and everyone recognizes it.

Timeless melodies, like the Blue Danube, are melodies that are so good and so recognizable, that they trancend generations. You may not like classical music, but if someone sings, Da Da Da Da Da, Dum Dum, Dum Dum in 3/4 time, you know it immediately.

My 2 cents,

Scott

Spacey, Joe, James, Skull: Those are thoughtful and helpful ideas. I strongly concur with Scott about 'good' music etiology being 'spiced'-up human melody. (not to deride the bird)

Music may be a 'need', but too much of it may 'fatigue' ... depending upon content, richness, etc.?

people don't remember the type of chord progression you use, they remember why you were using it.

Which leads me to hypothesize: Good Music (to my ears) is primarily a vocal phenomenon?

While stringed instruments can chime most songs that stick are emotive, have a deep meaning, and/or ... are hearty or religious (sensual and/or spiritual)?
    post edited by Philip - 2008/01/25 11:12:31

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 11:50:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Philip

(not to deride the bird)

I was wondering what was going on with that bird...
    jamesg1213
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 11:52:26 (permalink)
    Which leads me to hypothesize: Good Music (to my ears) is primarily a vocal phenomenon?

Mozart, Beethoven, Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Chopin...

....rubbish singers all, but they could all knock out a fair tune!

most songs that stick are emotive, have a deep meaning, and/or ... are hearty or religious (sensual and/or spiritual)?

Not neccessarily - I have an equal fondness for 'Back in Black' by AC/DC, and 'Lark Ascending'...
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2008/01/25 11:56:47

Jyemz

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 11:57:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Philip, to paraphrase Elvis Costello....

''Writing about music is like dancing about architecture''

I thought that quote was from Zappa?
    Anyway, what is good music?... How about "I can't explain it, but I know it when I hear it"
    jamesg1213
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 12:09:52 (permalink)
    You might be right Roger, I've seen it attributed to Laurie Anderson as well!

"I can't explain it, but I know it when I hear it"

Nail hit on head really...I think trying to analyze what makes music appealing is like trying to nail jelly to the wall. Just play it, and enjoy listening to it.

Jyemz

yep
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 12:42:14 (permalink)
    Good music communicates a psychic/mental/emotional/spiritual experience directly from the composer/performer's psyche to that of the listener, without the need for considered translation.

From the film "Immortal Beloved":
    Ludwig van Beethoven: [in reference to "Violin Sonata in A Major, Op. 47" - "Kreutzer"... ] Do you like it?

Anton Felix Schindler: Shh!

Ludwig van Beethoven: I cannot hear them, but I know they are making a hash of it. What do you think? Music is... a dreadful thing. What is it? I don't understand it. What does it mean?

Anton Felix Schindler: It - it exalts the soul.

Ludwig van Beethoven: Utter nonsense. If you hear a marching band, is your soul exalted? No, you march. If you hear a waltz, you dance. If you hear a mass, you take communion. It is the power of music to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice. It is like hypnotism...

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2008/01/25 12:58:32
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 13:13:18 (permalink)
    If you love a piece on the first hearing, it will be a failure; If you don't love a piece by the 20th hearing, it is a failure. Personal compositional philosophy.
    aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 13:31:30 (permalink)

Gag! That film had as much to do with Beethoven as "Troy" had to do with the Iliad.

You'd think for the money Hollywood spends making movies they could afford a few grand to consult with someone who knows a minimal amount about the subject matter of their movies . . .
    yep
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 14:10:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aaronk

Gag! That film had as much to do with Beethoven as "Troy" had to do with the Iliad.

You'd think for the money Hollywood spends making movies they could afford a few grand to consult with someone who knows a minimal amount about the subject matter of their movies . . .
    For the record, my point was not to endorse the movie as a work of art, nor certainly as an historical document, just to quote the phrase.

Cheers.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 14:20:38 (permalink)

This also isn't fully true. I've heard pure percussion pieces that were really great. I was exchanging some CDs with an Indian guy where I worked back before going out on my own. He gave me a CD of Indian musicians just playing drums. They were (ragas?) for the morning. It was just a tingling musical experience without a melody or harmony anywhere in sight.

To me, great music is anything that gives me the chills. It usually does have a good melody. But mainly it's the ability to project the emotions of the performer through the speakers. If it does that, it's done its job. I get the chills from many types of music from Mozart to Motown to Eminem to My Chemical Romance and everything in between pretty much.

I think it was Perry what's his name from Jane's Addiction who said that the best music results from simplicity and truth, and there's a lot to be said for that. In my regular listening session the other day I listened to Sweet Honey in the Rock (an acapella woman's group) doing an old spiritual (Silvie), and I just got the chills like crazy. But, in the same session, I got the same result from a completely frenetic and complex piece from Tool, so there are no rules.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/01/25 17:39:48

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 14:24:09 (permalink)
    BTW, I have created a very beautiful interpretive bag dance about architecture. I'll post a video on Youtube here soon and let everyone watch it.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Philip
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 15:38:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

You might be right Roger, I've seen it attributed to Laurie Anderson as well!

"I can't explain it, but I know it when I hear it"

Nail hit on head really...I think trying to analyze what makes music appealing is like trying to nail jelly to the wall. Just play it, and enjoy listening to it.

OK; I knew that answer was coming around. I disagree for several reasons:

The same hyper-existential logic may hold for other metaphysicals: what is light?, what is time?, etc? You 'detect' it, only, then to handwave any 'good' existence(s) as, unidentifiable, pointless, incidental, accidental, freak-beauty, or whatever.

But, If you provide music theories, music hypotheses, reasons, etiologies, etc. of 'good' music (to your ears) ... you might at least identify real dynamic genre information: harmonies, patterns, and other 'excellencies' ... that are beneficial for your technique, scientifically or artistically. Music cladistics, taxonomies, types, kinds, genres, etc. have elements about them worthy of analysis. Else, I'd speak with prejudice against Rap, Christian, Country, and other 'good' music genres by not analyzing the good portions.

For such 'raw' genres (if you will), behold these other posts: Daniel's, Dean's, Yep's, Josh's, Scott's ... IMHO, they seem armed with 'good information', style, coherence, etc. that inevitably must expand my technique(s).

I believe you can do much better than this. At least do one of the following (depending on time-constraints):
    1) state your opinion of 'utterances' that 'might' predictably sound 'good to your ears'.
    2) Tear apart one of your songs and analyse what 'elements' please you about your song.
    3) Give reasons why certain genres are 'good' to your ears.

Philip  

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 15:42:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Philip

A) Ok; What is music anyway?
    B) Or better yet, what is 'good' music to you? Give a reason or 10 why?

Philip - I'm enjoying reading through the threads you've started asking questions but this has got to be the best yet!

A - It's a lot easier to list what *isn't* music and work back.

B - I don't think 'good' is the right word - do you mean what music do you *like*; or what music do you consider *well written*.

Anyway - interesting stuff!

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 16:18:12 (permalink)
    In reply to the original question, a classically standard definition of music is "organized sound," which John Cage amended to "sound." Either definition is OK with me.

"Good music to me" is easy to define: music I like. The harder thing is to define "good" music in a way that others would agree with. This amounts to the philosophical question whether there are objective criteria of aesthetic value. Many thousands of mostly impenetrable prose have been written on that subject! Some of that can make good reading -- for suggestions check out the reading list of any college aethetics class. I think the only certain thing that can be said about what makes good music is that Creative Labs cards don't.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 17:17:34 (permalink)
    Good music to me is,
    1)Music that strikes an emotional chord with ME. (genre,tempo,instruments used,vocal or instrumental,acoustic or electric are all IRRELEVANT.)

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jamesg1213
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 17:24:31 (permalink)
    handwave any 'good' existence(s) as, unidentifiable, pointless, incidental, accidental, freak-beauty, or whatever.

Your words Philip, certainly not mine, inferred or otherwise.

I say, to analyze the 'goodness' of something as esoteric as music, is to push it further away. It's either 'good' for you, or...

I believe you can do much better than this

Nope!

Jyemz

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 17:36:32 (permalink)
    BTW, I have created a very beautiful interpretive bag dance about architecture.

You're killin' me Dean.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/25 17:45:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey
    I think it was Perry what's his name from Jane's Addiction who said that the best music results from simplicity and truth, and there's a lot to be said for that.

Perry Ferrell. Excellent music.
    esmail1
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/26 03:50:27 (permalink)
    I feel that most professsional-music, has 'some' good quality to it... I mean I can find something interesting in just about all music.... though not every time. I saw 50 cent on Letterman and almost puked at how terrible he was.

Now I do not hap (i dont hate any genre of music as a whole)...its just that the guy came out with another dude and they were rapping all over the place...NO sense of pitch and NO sense of rhythym.....Paul Schaffer and the band was backing them...It SUCKED.

Here... this is the clip...tell me you dont disagree that this sucks:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R6j_daAtDAU

If you are going to do Rap/Hip Hop...why not do it GOOD? have some substance and perform in time and have some pitch to your melody! Anyone with a microphone could have done just as well with this, drunk at Karaoke.

So 50 Cent, with his $100 million net worth and MILLIONS of "fans"....
    is that because it is "good music"... it is because of hype???

well...the point is that SOMEONE must consider this to be "good music"...
    So it is all up to the Individual's taste.
    post edited by esmail1 - 2008/01/26 04:08:02
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/26 12:46:34 (permalink)
    In reply to the original question, a classically standard definition of music is "organized sound," which John Cage amended to "sound." Either definition is OK with me.

I have never like the definition "Organized sound", that was created by mid twentieth centruy composers who needed an all inclusive description to make their music legit. I know that sounds harsh but I think music has to be something more than sound. I am not deliberatelly bashing John Cage just because he was admittedly tone deaf, or someone like Murray Shaffer who thinks spouting meaningless phrases in a whooping voice qualifies as music. (oh wait, maybe I am ). If you compare those two to another avant garde composer like George Crumb, whose music is unusual but well thought out and has real meaning and emotion, you'll see what I mean. That is where I start drawing the line between Sound and Music. Sound can be profound, though I think music needs to have a purpose other than to create noise.
    ru
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/26 13:17:47 (permalink)
    while it's true cage didn't have an affinity with harmonic concerns (even under schoenberg), you can't say he's unthoughtful or meaningless.

to claim something is good is only possible when there's a bad to contrast it with, and from there you can see the unstable ground such things tread upon. while technical analysis can be done, it's always after the fact. so it only charts tendencies, and isn't very helpful in creation. it's useful to a degree for aesthetic discussions but inevitably wanders into subjectivity in order to diagnose the preferences of any individual. those tastes are dependent upon many factors and will change accordingly.
    i have listened to completely random sounds in nature which invoked a more beautiful and profound experience than anything devised by humans.
    post edited by ru - 2008/01/26 16:12:07
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/26 14:39:07 (permalink)
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/07/09 22:01:22
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: What is (Good) Music? 2008/01/26 14:53:30 (permalink)
    I consider most of what Cage did to be performance rather than music. It had music as one of its elements. But then I recall David Gilmour referring to pre-DarkSideoftheMoon Floyd: "I can't believe people consider that music."
    M

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1