What is causing Vista blue screen crash?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/13 03:39:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Al

I just did an OS reinstall - wont the event log be wiped clean? Or is it preserved somewhere??

Its gone, lost, 6 feet under, copoot....
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/13 03:42:27 (permalink)
Most likely your logs have been overwritten by the new install.

The logs are mainly useful if the OS "knows" what went wrong, generally because a piece of software failed to handshake with the system. If you have a hardware problem, there will still be errors, but they will likely point at the wrong problem. I had a bad stick of memory recently that gave me over a dozen differnent bug reports and dozens of different log errors on different restarts, none of which indicated the problem they were designed to report. Replacing the memory solved all of them.

If you do get into debugging a persistent blue screen problem, the logs and the bug reports can be very useful. The logs will be available if you can get back into the system but it is a good idea to use pencil and paper to write down the important information in the bug report when it shows up on the screen.

some useful links:
http://www.aumha.org/a/tshoot.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854226.aspx
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/13 15:54:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: slartabartfast

Most likely your logs have been overwritten by the new install.

The logs are mainly useful if the OS "knows" what went wrong, generally because a piece of software failed to handshake with the system. If you have a hardware problem, there will still be errors, but they will likely point at the wrong problem. I had a bad stick of memory recently that gave me over a dozen differnent bug reports and dozens of different log errors on different restarts, none of which indicated the problem they were designed to report. Replacing the memory solved all of them.

If you do get into debugging a persistent blue screen problem, the logs and the bug reports can be very useful. The logs will be available if you can get back into the system but it is a good idea to use pencil and paper to write down the important information in the bug report when it shows up on the screen.

some useful links:
http://www.aumha.org/a/tshoot.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854226.aspx

Or, even better, download "Debugger For Windows" from Microsoft's website and:

1) Start "WINDBG" using "Run as Administrator".
2) Open the last crash dump or minidump.
3) Type ".symfix <symbol folder>" and press enter. The "symbol folder" should be a folder on your HD where symbols can be stored.
4) Type ".reload" and press <enter>.
5) Type "!analyze -v" and press <enter>.

Step 3 requires an Internet connection. After analyzing, Windbg will display a stack trace and tell you exactly where Windows crashed and what it was doing at the time. It's helped me out when trying to track down weird BSOD issues.

Regards,
Dan
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/14 02:02:19 (permalink)
Not really sure what you mean, so sorry if I am labouring the point. If you have re-installed Windows since your last BSOD, then the logs will have gone. But if you have had any BSOD since the re-install, it will be in the log. (If you haven't had a BSOD since the re-install, then maybe your problem is fixed).

All I am really saying is that painstakingly writing down what is on a BSOD is not necessary, because the salient data are recorded in the log, which is available as soon as Windows restarts.

Health Warning - what I have said relates to Win XP (although I presume the functionality is retained in Vista) and also assumes that "write an event to system log" is checked under System - Start Up and Recovery options. (BTW, you would never actually see a BSOD if Windows were configured to restart after a BSOD event - in such cases, the log is the only way of inspecting the event).

My own experience has been similar to Slartbartfest's. Sporadic, repeated BSODs have been caused by -

• bad RAM sticks, or mis-matched voltage from MOBO to RAM
  • power supply on its way out
  • bad drivers
  • bad OS install

Unfortunately, in the hardware originated cases, the BSOD messages themselves have not given any direct clues as to the culprit, so it has been necessary to substitute alternative hardware to see what happens - tedious and frustrating, but satisfying when you solve it.

Assuming your re-install has not resolved your problem, keep posting here, and I am sure that someone will be able to help.
Big Al
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/28 18:04:09 (permalink)
If anybody is still on this case - I just had another BSOD after very little use. I've saved the info from the "unexpected error" box if that is a help. Also, I'd really like to know where to look in the event viewer to pin point the cause. Anyone still there ready to help?

Al
Big Al
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/28 18:12:47 (permalink)
It just happened again with very little use. Where do I look in the event log for the answer?

Al
PCbahama
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/10/30 05:02:59 (permalink)

This is right

bad RAM sticks, or mis-matched voltage from MOBO to RAM
power supply on its way out
bad drivers
bad OS install

Unfortunately, in the hardware originated cases, the BSOD messages themselves have not
given any direct clues as to the culprit, so it has been necessary to substitute alternative
hardware to see what happens - tedious and frustrating, but satisfying when you solve it.

same info by seperate source. trial and error method to test.
http://bluescreenofdeatherrors.blogspot.com/
dlbachtell
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/10/30 05:29:09 (permalink)
Had the same problem - random BSODs under Vista. They stopped as soon as I prevented the Tranzport driver from loading at startup and remaining resident. (Run "MSCONFIG" to do this.) I always assumed that the Tranzport load-in was required for the device to function properly, but it appears to work fine without the automatic startup.
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/10/30 09:22:42 (permalink)
I'd really like to know where to look in the event viewer

Everything I say relates to XP, as I do not have Vista, but let's assume it's the same.

Exactly where the event viewer appears in the Windows menu tree is somewhat configurable, but try Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer. Then double click the System Log. By default, this displays in reverse date order, so scan down it looking for "red X'd" error entries called System Error. Double click to open and you will get the basic data from the BSOD. There is often a click-through to MS web-based support. Sometimes there is also an associated error event. The error code itself is numeric and determines what kind of condition caused the BSOD. The MS web-based data will give you at the very least some diagnostic clues (although if the cause is suspect hardware, there is often very little hard evidence other than the BSOD itself - defective PSUs commonly cause BSODs, for example, but Windows can never diagnose that precisely). So sometimes you have to take the Knowledge Base references that MS throws up and think very laterally ... and sometimes you have physically to isolate or substitute hardware to get to the solution. On the other hand, the Knowledge Base may take you directly to a clear diagnosis and recommend a fix. YMMV.
Art1820m
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2008/12/16 02:19:47 (permalink)
Hey CJ what do you mean by ---- (((Maybe you can see if your pc runs without the transport and bcf drivers installed and see if you get the blue screen, it never hurts.))

transport and bcf drivers????? how can I do this?
please let me know cause I am having blue screen issues . thanks CJ

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1