What is causing Vista blue screen crash?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Big Al
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
2007/09/03 05:53:50 (permalink)

What is causing Vista blue screen crash?

OK - I just did a brand new Vista rebuild being very careful to install only the minimum namely,
S6PE, BCF 2000, Tranzport and Presonus Firebox. I've tried to find Vista drivers and installed
the latest I could find. Yet just two days later, I got another blue screen crash. Can anybody
suggest any solution to this please. And no, I can't load XP as my machine is a new Dell dual core
and only came with Vista Home Premium.

Al

39 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/03 07:33:47 (permalink)
    I've tried to find Vista drivers and installed
    the latest I could find. Yet just two days later, I got another blue screen crash.

Whats in your pc or connected to your pc that you couldnt find vista drivers for. This probably wouldnt cause a blue screen error though. Does it give you an error code. Usually it will begin with something that is causing it, like HD126584. That would mean your hardrive is acting up (kinda) Im no PC tech <-----------disclaimer
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/03 09:34:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Al

OK - I just did a brand new Vista rebuild being very careful to install only the minimum namely,
    S6PE, BCF 2000, Tranzport and Presonus Firebox. I've tried to find Vista drivers and installed
    the latest I could find. Yet just two days later, I got another blue screen crash. Can anybody
    suggest any solution to this please. And no, I can't load XP as my machine is a new Dell dual core

That's too bad, You do know that Dell does give you an option to get XP instead of Vista, as far as all the drivers for your computer, go to Dells site, and enter your service tag, and it'll provide a page with all the drivers you need. I could be wrong, but on the Behringer site, there are no Vista drivers for the BCF 2000, could that possibly be the culprit, we really won't know until we get the error code. I believe windows stores that in a dump somewhere, but I can't remember where. Do a search for bluescreen and I'll bet you'll find it. Good luck.
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/03 15:08:49 (permalink)
    I was getting BSOD's for a while with an older build of drivers for my ATI video card, but updating to the latest drivers has fixed it.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/03 15:36:37 (permalink)
    I'm no Vista expert yet, but usually when Windows blue screens, it's a faulty hardware driver and the message on the blue screen will usually point to the bad driver i.e.: "filename.sys".

Post the entire, exact contents of the blue screen message here and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/03 15:39:26 (permalink)

what are you doing when you get the bsod? is it on boot up or during use?

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    mewsicknerd
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/03 18:25:58 (permalink)

And no, I can't load XP as my machine is a new Dell dual core

Did your last PC have XP on it - that wasn't a bundled? You could deinstall and reinstall XP on your new PC. When you activate, you could explain. Don't know if they have some utility to verify. Vista is a very new OS, many DAW users wait for at least one SP before going with a new OS. Also, Vista will soak up much of your new processing power, not to mention the audio "features" intended to thwart music piracy could interfere with normal DAW usage.

You can buy an OEM version of XP, which is what I recommend at this point. I'm thinking of getting a new PC now myself and nearly all bundles come with Vista, so I will install XP on it.
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 01:43:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll try to find out the BSOD number next time it happens and ask again here. Tranzport have released a beta driver for Vista which I'm using. I'm not keen to try the Presonous Firebox Vista drivers as others have reported having problems. What about emulation? On the Behringer site, they list the BCF2000 as being Vista compatible, but the only way I could get the BCF2000 drivers to load was to set emulation to XP SP2. Could this be the cause of the prob?

Al
    CJaysMusic
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 01:51:19 (permalink)
    Im running 2 BCF's in vista. I didnt have to do anything special for the drivers. Im using 1.10
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 03:20:58 (permalink)
    Thats interesting CJ. Mine said something like "this software is not compatible with this version of Windows" So I had to use compatibility mode. However, if your system is OK with the BCF, then I'll have to keep looking for the answer.

Al
    CJaysMusic
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 03:30:03 (permalink)
    Thtas really wierd man. Yea , its running great. I have 2 up right now, i used to have 3 of them, but im trying to sell the other 2 so i can get the MCU and 1 or 2 extenders (cant wait)
    also, blue screen crashed are mostly due to hardware live Hard drives and such, and the drivers for the bcf is software, so definitly look someware else.
    About 2 months ago i had a blue screen crash and thru trouble shoting i found out it was due to a bad Sata Cable, so thankfully after a trip to best buy or comp usa (i forgett) and 5 minutes to instal it, it was all good. Im saying this because blue screen errors are always mostly hardware, so maybee look in that direction. Maybee you can see if your pc runs without the transport and bcf drivers installed and see if you get the blue screen, it never hurts.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 03:48:47 (permalink)
    Hey CJ, when you say SATA cable, did you mean inside the PC or have you got an external drive? I'm asking 'cos my new PC has a SATA drive as part of the package.
    But its internal, so could it be a prob? How would I check?

Al
    CJaysMusic
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 03:53:18 (permalink)
    No, inside the pc. Its an internal drive. My pc is also new. About 5 months old (well it was new when i had the bad sata cable a dfew months ago)
    Are you familiar with pc's??? Wait a sec, if its something to do with your hard drive you should be seeing an HD#$34&68* error code,
    Thats what directed me to what to look for and check. Did you record the error code, if not can yiou make your pc crash and record it..Thats just doesnt sound right....??
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 04:03:14 (permalink)
    I could try to crash the PC! I was just moving audio data around, making splits and adjusting gaps etc. No soft synths or anything like that. I dont know the number of the BSOD, but I'll go and have another go (the music PC is in the shed). I'll be in touch. Thanks for the help mate!

Al
    CJaysMusic
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 04:07:02 (permalink)
    you's welcome. Next time it crashes just write it down
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 04:22:19 (permalink)
    Well CJ, I've just been out in the shed/studio and I could not crash it!!! I stopped and started within a second repeatedly and at the same time, split and moved clips around as fast as I could. And Sonar kept working beautifully!! I'll just have to wait until the PC crashes by itself. I'll be in touch.

Al
    CJaysMusic
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 04:25:52 (permalink)
    Hey well dont complain. Murphy's law will take affect when you least expect it it, just have a pen ready
    Cj

Audio Blog
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 14:36:01 (permalink)
    OK I do not see an answer to the first basic question. does the blue screen appear on startup (booting) or after the system has been operating for a while. Typicaly the hardware drivers will load on booting and trigger a bug report (BSOD) during the boot process with a STOP error, if they are a problem. If the problem occurrs after you have been running for a while, it is more likely that something soft is writing to the wrong area in memory or you have a hardware problem.

The five most frustrating problems I have had with operating system failures all turned out to be problems with hardware. The blue screen messages in intermittent hardware problems are usually not very useful. Since you have a Dell, I assume you do not know much about computers, and since you have an intermittent problem I doubt that the Dell tech support people can help much.

First advice is to take apart your machine and uplug everything except the CPU, clean the contacts with a good contact cleaner and re-seat everything. While you are at it make sure all the fans are running. This is a lot easier than troubleshooting blue screens and will make you feel like you have done something. Then download a good memory tester http://www.memtest.org/ and let it run all night. In the morning you will have a good guess about whether your memory is defective. Since it is a Dell I assume you did not add any memory and the stuff that came with it is at least compatible.

After that it is a question of going into safe mode and uninstalling any drivers you have installed and re-installing with the best guess drivers you can find.
    strungdown
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 573
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 15:12:59 (permalink)
    Memtest86+ is your friend.
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 15:18:29 (permalink)
    David, you said "Since you have a Dell, I assume you do not know much about computers" Well, I've had nothing but good performance from the Dells I've owned. I'm quite happy with Dell equipment as in my experience they seem to be solidly built and reliable. While I'm no computer expert, I have learned a bit and am quite happy to learn from the experience of others. I've downloaded the memory tester you mentioned and at the first chance I get, I'll go through the connections inside, and as you say, feel better that I've actually done something. I appreciate your input.

Al
    slartabartfast
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/05 16:54:48 (permalink)

David, you said "Since you have a Dell, I assume you do not know much about computers" Well, I've had nothing but good performance from the Dells I've owned. I'm quite happy with Dell equipment as in my experience they seem to be solidly built and reliable. While I'm no computer expert, I have learned a bit and am quite happy to learn from the experience of others. I've downloaded the memory tester you mentioned and at the first chance I get, I'll go through the connections inside, and as you say, feel better that I've actually done something. I appreciate your input.

I apologize. My reply did look pretty condescending, but I did not intend to insult either you or Dell. I agree that Dell makes a reliable machine, albeit sometimes at the cost of flexibility. If I were buying a box-off-the-shelf business machine, Dell would make the list, and the lack of flexibility makes it easier to provide tech support. I sort of expect that people who buy pre-built machines are reluctant to open the case, but this is just a prejudice on my part. If you got a standard OS distribution disc with the machine you could try an in place upgrade reinstallation to remove your drivers and refresh your registry, but this can sometimes cause unpleasant surprises.
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/06 00:16:02 (permalink)
    Appology accepted - no offense taken. The first thing I did when I got the Dell was to format the drive and partition it to give me both an OS and a data storage partition. So there's no worries regarding anything that might be left over from the pre-install. I'm about to open the case to follow your instructions re checking cables etc. Will keep in touch

Al
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/11 01:24:49 (permalink)
    Well, I'm back as promised! I opened the case and found nothing amiss, so I wiped the partition and started to rebuild. So far, I have 4 Acronis backups each one having more installed than the last. The first backup had SPE6 inc Sonar updates and Real Guitar2. I'm up to a full running Vista now with all operating OK. One thing - I decided not to update Windows and left it as per install. Is this a wise move? I have automatic updates turned off at present.

Al
    slartabartfast
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/11 03:42:32 (permalink)
    Two points regarding updating the OS

1 if it ain't broke don't fix it --most windows updates have been security patches and if you are using your machine as a dedicated daw without an internet connection security is not a big issue. If your system is doing what you want there is no need to update.
    2 if you have Acronis backups of each stage of the installation you have nothing to lose by updating the OS--if it crashes you can restore to the last working installation

Remeber if the problem was intermittent with the last install, it is possible that it may not raise its ugly head for some time with a new system. And it is not certain that the problem was caused by the old installation or solved by the new installation. You might want to run it for a week or so before you decide to move forward.
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/11 03:59:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

you's welcome. Next time it crashes just write it down
    Cj

Probably too late to help in this case, but after a BSOD, once the Pc has restarted, go Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer and you can review the system log messages to see what specifically caused the BSOD (if Windows knows - sometimes they say unhelpful things like "unknown module").
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/11 07:28:59 (permalink)
    Hi Al,

The BSOD should contain some info on the culprit.
    What does it say?

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/11 13:58:29 (permalink)
    Jim - others asked me that and I didn't write down the ref for the BSOD. I'm ready for the next time tho'

Al
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/11 14:04:11 (permalink)
    No one wants to see a BSOD, but the positive side is that it'll give the culprit away...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/12 07:19:41 (permalink)

Jim - others asked me that and I didn't write down the ref for the BSOD. I'm ready for the next time tho'

... as I said, you'll find it in your log. You don't need to have another BSOD. It's also useful to take a look at any errors or warnings that appear in the system log and in the applications log, as sometimes you get a better sense of what is going on by taking the broader view.
    Big Al
    RE: What is causing Vista blue screen crash? 2007/09/12 15:01:09 (permalink)
    I just did an OS reinstall - wont the event log be wiped clean? Or is it preserved somewhere??

Al
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1