What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wayofmind
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2011/05/26 02:42:26 (permalink)

What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment???

Hey guys, so I recently got my hands on some guitar tracks recorded from a top-end studio (Westlake studios) to mix.

Now, normally, when I'm mixing guitars recorded through mediocre stuff, I have to jump through hoops to get the guitars to sit in the mix right. I'll spend -forever- on them.

But I've really come to notice that every time I get my hands on raw tracks recorded through really high-end stuff, I barely have to do anything, at least when it comes to getting them to sit nicely in the mix. I mean, some basic EQ (lo and hi pass), panning and what have you, but nothing major and really time consuming. They just.... fit.

I've noticed the same thing with vocals.

Again, I'm not talking about how GOOD the tracks sound, I'm talking about how well and effortlessly they sit in the mix. What exactly is that? What is different in the sound data that makes it "automatically" behave better?

www.richieblac.com 
Sonar X3e Producer x64
Nuendo 4 
AMD FX 8350
16gb RAM 1600mhz
Windows 8.1
PreSonus Firestudio

50 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 04:39:32 (permalink)
    Difficult to give a definitive answer without knowing exaclty how the guitar tracks were recorded.

Variables include, but are not limited to:

The guitar used, including pickups, strings etc
    The guitarist
    Amplifier(s)
    Stomp boxes
    Mics used
    Room
    Pre-amp(s)
    Compressors (going in)
    EQ (going in)
    Were the tracks double tracked (or more)

If all of the above fall into the "high end" category, then you're going to have a problem replicating the "sound" if just ONE of these is missing from your chain.

That's why they're high end.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 04:41:26 (permalink)
    The right mixer....???

I'm trying to insert a picture but not having much success.

Oh well...thought I'd insert a picture of an old radio shack 6 channel mixer...

post edited by Jumbicat - 2011/05/26 04:52:32

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    wayofmind
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 05:41:19 (permalink)
    My question is, what exactly is in the resulting sound file that makes it behave so much better in the mix?

I would think that if you used lesser preamps, mics, etc. that it would simply "sound worse" but interact with the mix all the same. I mean, you have plenty of intentionally "crappy", "grungy", cheap guitars run through high-end stuff, so you still get that "rebel" crappy guitar sound, but again, it fits beautifully in the mix without an insane amount of effort beyond all the subtle tweaks you'd do to polish it up.

Here's my theory, tell me if I'm on the right track here.

I know some photographers, and they constantly bring up the subject of "raw data". Basically you're limited to how much color information was actually captured in the "raw" shot by the camera, thus the importance of your camera, what lense you use, shutter speed, etc. If the raw data is poor, then there's only so much color enhancement/optimization you can do.

Is it something like that? Is there literally more intricate data in the original signal?

www.richieblac.com 
    Sonar X3e Producer x64
    Nuendo 4 
    AMD FX 8350
    16gb RAM 1600mhz
    Windows 8.1
    PreSonus Firestudio
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 09:53:42 (permalink)
    Could it be psycoacoustic?  If you had thought they came from some guys appartment, would they have "fit in the mix" as well?

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 09:58:32 (permalink)
    I know some photographers, and they constantly bring up the subject of "raw data". Basically you're limited to how much color information was actually captured in the "raw" shot by the camera, thus the importance of your camera, what lense you use, shutter speed, etc. If the raw data is poor, then there's only so much color enhancement/optimization you can do. Is it something like that? Is there literally more intricate data in the original signal?

Beware of photographic or any other visual analogies to audio, as they often look/sound reasonable but in reality are almost never good analogies.

From a technical standpoint, audio data can be described completely by just four parameters: amplitude, frequency, phase and dynamic range. There is nothing else. Quality gear and expertise enable you capture these with greater accuracy and/or greater ease, but that's not the same thing as acquiring "more data".

This is an important distinction for us amateurs to recognize because an entire predatory industry exists to sell you on the lie that lack of expensive gear is what's preventing you from making great records. In truth, great records have been made on crappy gear and mountains of crappy records have been made with wonderful gear.

I think the explanation as to why those tracks were easier to work with when mixing can be attributed to the competence of the engineers who recorded them. Good engineers are always thinking ahead, imagining how the instruments will fit into the mix as they record them.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 10:10:23 (permalink)
    I'll jump on up on Bit and say it is probably a good - really good - musician.  Not just technically, but one that "imagines"  how the part will work.  Arrangement, if you will, but including tone (esp. for guitarists, esp with an amp).  Then the engineer.  Then the room.

Good equipment, mic, preamp etc. make it easier since the music and engineer doesn't have to compensate for those.  It is much easier to work with good hardware, which is a good reason why one should start on crappier stuff.  Learn how to get solid sound from bottom dwelling equipment makes working with the good stuff easy.  Good equipment is the icing on the cake, but if the cake itself is bad, no slathering on icy goodness will make a mud pie taste better.

But a great guitarist putting down two rhythm lines, he'll (or she will) make them work but each differently.  Alike so they sound like one piece, but different enough so that they augement the other.  That ain't something you can EQ or throw an effect on to achieve.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 10:24:12 (permalink)
    The great irony is that, for the most part, the predatory part of the music recording equipment industry confines itself to the "affordable price point" range of products. That's the stuff we call *prosumer* a.k.a professional consumer.

The actual, build it as good as it can be built, audio gear does sound better and it is actually affordable once you are no longer worried about price but rather seek true value.

It's usually the $400 preamps that are most egregious examples of predatory marketing because they don't sound any better than the cheap stuff you can get for $30 per channel.

The pro grade stuff that actually sounds great simply costs what it costs.

It's the guys trying to squeeze $400 out of your $350 budget that are taking the money without providing the goods.

The guys that don't care if everyone can afford their $2000 preamp are doing the best they can do with the best parts they can buy... and they are not trying to steal your last $50 by promising you stuff they can't deliver at a "price point".

Promising stuff that can't be delivered is exactly the nasty sort of trick that the prosumer grade, populist price point manufacturers are doing when they get you to spend an extra few bucks on the sound of an $2.00 integrated circuit.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/05/26 11:02:25

Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 11:14:49 (permalink)
    My guess would be all of the above.  Plus, a studio that takes the time/effort/money to research and purchase high-end equipment are usually experienced and familiar with the equipment.  They have also taken the time/effort/money to get the room acoustics right as well. 

Of course a studio like this is going to charge more.  They're also going attract more serious musician who are willing to invest the money in a big-time studio. 

That's not to say that quality music doesn't come out of project studios.  Magic can happen there, too--and often does.  It just takes less effort in the expensive studio, but you have to deal with the pressure of time and cost of the expensive place. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 11:48:32 (permalink)
    how many pro studios have you ever been in, that use consumer level gear?

now, ask yourself, how come stuff in there, sounds better than stuff done at home...

there is a correlation.

there IS a reason that signals that pass thru expensive gear sounds better.

in the collective, the quality of the sound adds up.

it's not the answer you want to hear, i know.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 13:36:55 (permalink)
    I would think that engineer's ears, use of gain staging, mic placement and expertise in general are the most important factors.

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/26 17:20:24 (permalink)
    Yup, the combination of all..... (The complete chain)

First of all, anyone who is in a studio working with expensive gear is most likely going to be a competent musician.
    Second, an engineer in a studio working with expensive gear is most likely to be competent as well.

good engineer + good equipment  + good musician = success !!!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 04:06:23 (permalink)
    And please, don't forget the ultra importance of a good song with a good arrangement.

You can have all of the above, but if the songs sucks, it will ALWAYS suck.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    AT
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 09:51:12 (permalink)
    Yea, but it will suck better with good hardware.

;-)

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 11:31:47 (permalink)
    Having assisted in a mix at Westlake I will say this, 95% of everything you read about on the internet talks about gear to make things sound better in the mix, or techniques in the mix, or ways to glue the mix. Mix, mix, mix, mix, mix. Tracking is where the magic starts.

The reality regarding great recordings, given that the talent is adequate and interesting, possibly unique, is that the room, mic, preamp, compressor run through decent speakers in (and here is one of the primary keys) real-time by an experienced tracking engineer is the what truly separates the men from the boys.

One person cannot perform the art and adjust the gear in real-time to make the EQ, compression, mic technique changes, possibly room location changes required. It takes two to tango and one of them needs to have a range of experience in exploring mic placement strategies and room location in a room that has a variety of dry, ambient options. Or at least the patience to experiment if knowledge is lacking. This is why professionally recorded tracks are easier to mix.

Everything you read on almost every site focuses on the mix and trying to get things to sound like the pros. The fact is, the pros generally start with a better sounding set of wave files. What is lacking are websites that focus on recording, EQ approaches using microphones first and then using hardware for sonically adjusting the sound. There are approaches to radio ready sound that start in the tracking. The easiest and most reliable is getting all of the musicians in the same sonic space and then using gobos and other sound absorbing or reflecting devices to create a balance among the instruments.

Unfortunately, today a lot of musicians/recording types work in a vacuum of a single small room with prosumer gear and by themselves. All of which create a huge barrier to creating reasonable sounding tracks and an even larger barrier to try and blend a series of tracks into something sonically pleasing to people outside their immediate family. Not to rant here but what is needed are sites that don't cater to the latest and greatest but share and talk about creating decent sounding tracks. In the tracking process, and the decisions made while tracking in realtime, is where the real "Secrets of the Pros" resides.
    post edited by Middleman - 2011/05/27 12:13:07

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 12:36:06 (permalink)
    wayofmind

Hey guys, so I recently got my hands on some guitar tracks recorded from a top-end studio (Westlake studios) to mix.

Now, normally, when I'm mixing guitars recorded through mediocre stuff, I have to jump through hoops to get the guitars to sit in the mix right. I'll spend -forever- on them.

But I've really come to notice that every time I get my hands on raw tracks recorded through really high-end stuff, I barely have to do anything, at least when it comes to getting them to sit nicely in the mix. I mean, some basic EQ (lo and hi pass), panning and what have you, but nothing major and really time consuming. They just.... fit.

I've noticed the same thing with vocals.

Again, I'm not talking about how GOOD the tracks sound, I'm talking about how well and effortlessly they sit in the mix. What exactly is that? What is different in the sound data that makes it "automatically" behave better?

When you say mediocre stuff ,that can cover a lot of territory.  I think a person inclined to be a sound engineer can get a  reasonably  good recording. So close in fact that some ears might not tell, with higher ended prosumer stuff though. I have heard some really good recordings on the song forumn done with not a lot of  high ended gear.

Home studio owners can get around a lot of the potholes in recording. JetPLL technology far surpasses older internal clocking techniques and reduces the need for a big ben.....Intead of real time sound manipulation we can use automation after the fact. Instead of having a ton of expensive high end Manleys and Avalons in our rack,we can have a nice set of plug-ins.

Simple things like voltage regulation and sound treatments and even where you route your cables can all have a big impact on sound.

So I don't really know what the people you had been mixing for used or what they did but it is certainly possible to get very close to what a high end studio can do and many times close enough that they are not needed.

Nothing copied is ever as good as the real thing and plug-ins are copies of hardware reverbs,compressors etc. some of that shortfall can be compensated for but not all of it and a professionally recorded track in a large studio will undoubtedly sound a few notches better if done correctly.

The flipside is that a lot of artists who would never have had the opportunity to be heard  can now make a  pretty darned good recording,and one that John Q public would have a hard time telling the difference between the two.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 15:25:45 (permalink)
    batsbrew

how many pro studios have you ever been in, that use consumer level gear? now, ask yourself, how come stuff in there, sounds better than stuff done at home... there is a correlation.

More to the point though, "correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation". There's a very high correlation between good sounding tracks and very high end equipment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the equipment is the cause. A large part of it will be that those folks blessed to work with very high end equipment, generally, are the folks who have proven themselves over long periods of time. So they probably both know how to record things very well, but also how to get tones that work well together. And they often have very nice sounding rooms, which is a big thing that many of us self/home recordist can only dream of.

And of course they probably are often working with a higher calibre of musician. SO much of it is in getting the tone on the way in, and no amount of high end equipment will make a bad source or performance sound great. Good players can mix themselves by continually adjusting their picking style, hand position, what notes and how many notes to play at a given time, etc... And good rooms lend themselves to getting great tones through mic and source placement.

Add all that up, and most really high end studios kind of exist to add all of that up, and the result can be pretty amazing. But, having said that, if you took those same people and put them in a considerably more modest studio, and they'd almost certainly still get very good results. Great performers playing great songs is at least 75% of it, if not more. And the experience to capture that performance well is a large part of the remainder. The equipment is the smallest piece of that puzzle. 
    post edited by droddey - 2011/05/27 15:26:58

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 16:23:59 (permalink)
    Good point.....  With the quality of today's technology it's not hard to get good results without having top end equipment. Performance and Engineering and the critical elements to a successful production.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/27 20:20:10 (permalink)
    I'll give you my take, wayofmind. As a guy who has used both crap gear and some of the best in the business, guess what....the difference is what you know and how you go about capturing the print. There are some mics that will just make a guitar sound bad no matter how great the sound may be that's coming out of the cab.

Other times, because most people in home studio's do not have tuned rooms or monitor correction, you are fooled by what you THINK you hear as a good sound. I don't believe in mic pre's of any kind other than when you cannot get something up to line level. Don't buy into the myths. I assure you, with the right techniques, monitors, ears and know-how, a person can make incredible recordings using Sonar and a stock Realtek soundcard if you have your stuff down. Trust me on this.

I've been a part of A/B tests with some of the best mic pre's vs. some of the cheapest mic pre's out there...and just about no one can tell the difference. When you CAN tell a difference, it's so subtle it's not worth the extra money. Though to some extent we can mention how important rooms are as well as the techniques involved with capturing the room properly. However, if you listen to recordings of today, it's rare you hear ANYTHING being launched in a room to where you hear the effects of that room. Nothing today's impulses can't cop. But most of the stuff recorded today is up close, personal and in your face. When was the last time we heard a guitar that sounded like you could literally hear the room behind it and how do you know it wasn't an impulse? When was the last time we heard a drum kit like John Bonham's? Right...no one is using rooms to that extent any longer, so in my opinion, the room sound that you CAN'T hear is only being used for slight ambiance enhancement and isn't totally the reason why something sounds good or doesn't.

I've been at this for many many years. I've talked to and worked with some of the best guys in the business. The main thing is the sound itself as an entity. Anyone who is a pro will not even print a sound unless that sound is something grand. They don't record something and work on it for hours to make it sound good. That's called "polishing a turd" and it's time consuming and only good if you are limited on gear resources or you're trying to create some sort of effect from a sound. Other than that, it is every day practice for me to print something that works every time with minimal eq. When I record my guitars, all they need is a slight high pass at about 80 Hz, I control how much mids I need when they are in the mix, and it's rare I ever have to touch my high end on my guitars other than when I may need a slight 4k sizzle or maybe a bit of what we call "the air frequencies" from 10k on up. I slap a compressor on it, take out about -2dB of gain at about 4:1 and I let it roll. Other times I'll create a room atmosphere with an impulse and then compress and eq the impulse bus to make the guitar appear to be a bit bigger than it is...but most times, we want up front and present...at least for rock or metal guitars.

With cleaner guitars used in country, jazz and some blues, the sound will naturally be bigger due to extreme distortion NOT being used. Distortion/over-drive and extreme gain will shrink a guitar down to size in a heart-beat if you are not careful. Special care needs to be given to guitars of this nature due to what gain physically does to a guitar. It can be too sizzly to where it sounds like bees swarming your mix...and the worst offender of all, too much low end. See, many guitarists are sold on their sound. The reason being, they spend countless hours creating this tone and then they find out it sounds horrible in a mix. They use way too much low end and walk into bass guitar territory and even kick drums. This is why sometimes you may notice a guitar just will not sit well in a mix.

What they fail to realize is they eq'd this tone all alone, not for a mix. This brings me to another important thing engineers screw up....and that is, soloing tracks and eqing them. Don't EVER do this unless you have an instrument that is a problem area. If we eq each instrument to sound good by itself, it is not going to sound good in the mix of other instruments. Some guys have a knack for this and can solo and eq as they go along, but most do not and it is the reason for their issues and mixes taking longer than a day or 2 to get down. The great sound we create that is all alone will just about always get lost in a mix with other instruments. The reason being, we're not taking into account that there are other frequencies that are going on as well that add to the guitars. If the guitar sound you choose IS a sound that will feature a guitar all by itself, you can do just about anything you want to it. But as soon as that mix comes in, you definitely better automate an eq so that the guitar conforms to the mix because it will need to if it is to be heard properly.

Always high pass your low end and listen for low end air. You'll know when it's gone...it just sounds like whouuu (almost like the sound of the word "would") all over the place and as soon as you remove that, you not only get a more clear guitar, you remove "whooomfing". Another good test when tracking guitars with extreme gain is to only play the chords you will be playing in the song to set up levels and eq's. The reason for this is, if we chug an E chord, our meter will look one way. If we chug a G#, A, Bb or B, the meter changes and you can usually get some whoomfing in those areas. If those chords are not used in a song, don't set up your sound playing them. With extreme gain, you may even need to use a multiband limiter at times to control the exact frequency that is causing problems if dialing it out with an eq doesn't help. But low end in guitars is the worst and if you control it, you'll never have a problem having them sit in your mix again.

Most times you can high pass 80 Hz and below with great results. Other times, you may have to high pass at 120 Hz or even 150 Hz. I've gone as high at 200 Hz at times for certain guitar sounds. You'll know when you've removed the right stuff though because the blanket comes off the sound and it instantly becomes audible.

So to sum up the answer your question, though high end gear can help and make a difference, it's the sound itself that will really make the difference. When pro's eq an amp that is to be recorded, they make sure the problem areas are taken care of before the sound is printed. There is no whoomfing, there is no harsh sizzle, there is no mid range congestion that sounds like a blanket was put over top the cab...all this stuff is taken care of. This is why when you get tracks from these guys that nothing much needs to be done. It's done purposely because that's the way it it's supposed to be done ALL the time. If you are not not achieving these results, we need to take a look into why and what we can do to fix this stuff for you. Trust me when I tell you, I can create a mix with a Mackie console and a Dell running Sonar with a stock Realtek and ASIO4ALL drivers that would make you think I went to a pro studio to have done. When you know what you are doing, even not so good gear will work wonders. That said, if I used my REAL recording rig, there would definitely be some difference but not enough to make you say "wow, so that's the difference between a 20k rig and a 1.5k rig....sounds like you may have wasted your money dude!" LOL! :) 
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/05/27 20:25:02

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 07:37:24 (permalink)

I am going to offer my opinion as balance to Danni's... mainly because Danni is very credible and his advice carries so much weight... and I happen to disagree with him on this subject... and so I think the conversation can benefit from some polite disagreement.

FWIW, I have the exact opposite feeling about mic pres.

I think the good mic pres sounds fantastic and the not so good ones sound like wanna-bes and I think the sound is absolutely obvious.

And I'm not saying that to justify the purchase of my first really nice mic pre, Nor am I saying that to justify the purchases of all my other really nice mics pres.

Nor am I saying that to rationalize the future purchase of the next two mic pres I want to add to my palette (which BTW are the Aurora GTQ2 and the NPNG DMP 2NW )

I am saying this because if you listen to any of these mic pres and compare them to anything of lesser grade quality the sound difference is obvious... especially in the vital lower mid range.

You get to hear this most easily when you are recording artists who have great tone to begin with.

It's no secret how to make a great mic pre... that's why there are dozens of good choices. The fact is the parts cost a lot. When you see something more affordable it is simply because the engineers figured out how to cut corners in the least apparent places. That doesn't change the reality that all the engineers know what could be better.

Here's a dirty little secret... when you have a room full of great gear... you don't have to spend hours figuring out where to put the mic to make up for a room full of mud grade gear.

Read between the lines of the numerous interviews about how the great records were made. It's often times a race against time to get the machine recording before the musicians finish the best take of the day. You'll see time and time again that the keeper take was made under duress and that the mics were often times still being placed etc.

I think the idea that some people labor over mic placement for hours and hours simply describes the fact that they like to do that sort of thing.

The latest TapeOP has an interview where the guy explains that when you work with a musician who has worked with the best engineers and producers for an entire career that they tend to take the studio for granted... every thing just always works out... and so the game as a service provider is too further that experience of easy in and out. It's all about the music... the gear had better just do it's job with ease and aplomb.

Most working engineers don't run out into the room and explain that the cost cutting integrated circuit preamp sounds a bit grainy and distressed at 200Hz and you need everyone to take a short break so you can try moving the mic sideways 3".

That's the beauty of no holds barred gear used in a good sounding room. The gear doesn't have sweet spots... it's just plain sweet all over.  Set it and go.

There's a reason I don't dwell on which fix it in the mix tool or technique that so many people seem to spend so much time searching for.

I have lots of really nice mic pres and some OK mics.

That's my opinion.

This year I'm spending large on really nice microphones... I'll get back to mic pres in a year or two.

all the very best,
    mike

AT
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 09:58:20 (permalink)
    Mike states his case very elegantly.  There is a difference between cheap and expensive preamps - other than the price ;-)  One of the nice things about "pro" preamps is the amount of clear gain one gets so that mic'ing decisions aren't compromised by the need to have to close mic everything.  It makes the process easier, not that you just slap up a mic, but there is more room for error. 

But Danny is onto a point, too, that preamps ain't the first thing you should fix.  If you are just starting recording and getting into it in a more serious way, spending $500 or $5000 on a preamp isn't going to magicially make your recordings better, anymore than handing the keys to a Porche is going to make a 16 year old a better driver.  In fact, learning on budget gear is a great way to learn how to get the best out of stuff, and develop your ears.  When you use bad equipment badly over many tracks/channels and come up with early recording results everyone can hear the problem.  Learning to overcome that and get a good sound, then the high range stuff makes recording easier and quicker and that last few percentage points better.

@

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 13:48:30 (permalink)
    Good stuff guys!  I'm taking notes...

Sure, I've been a newbie for many, many years now, but I know I wasn't able to get a decent signal recorded until I used a good mic pre.  Now I'm not talking about hot-sh.., er, shaving cream quality mic pre's here (I've got nice ones in my Mackie VLZ 1202, used to have a Focusrite Twin Trak Pro, and my primary mic pre is currently a Presonus MP20).  That said, I wasn't able to hit my Layla 24 with enough signal without the mic pre in the path which, of course, made mixing a lot more difficult than it should have.

I've heard some of the suggestions in Danny's posts several times before in books, videos or other forums, but I always like to hear things said in multiple ways from different sources since that's what really helps the concepts to sink in.

Anyway, as I've implied in other threads, I'm a big believer in starting with the best source that you can so you don't have to put some lipstick on that pig (or polish a turd as Danny pointed out).  I think this is even more important for people new to recording or those (like me) that still have a lot to learn.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 15:47:01 (permalink)
    It's pretty much been proven time and again on Gearslutz that people cannot tell the difference reliably between lots of gear, and that pre-amps are some of the least differentiated of the lot as compared to something like a compressor that can purposefully have a pretty distinctive characteristic. And even then as many people get it right as wrong, until the answer is revealed of course then everyone suddenly sees how obvious it is. Ears are really never as golden as their owners think they are.

Obviously some pre-amps can be very characterful if pushed really hard, but you won't record the bulk of stuff that way. My Solo/610 sounds really nice overdriven as a bass DI, so that it starts to get some nice tube distortion. But that's not typically the use of a pre-amp. And of course you could get the same effect various other ways.

Not that you should spend $15 on your pre-amps or anything, but still they are some of the least important bits in the whole equation. There've been lots of 'rate the importance of' type discussions out there, and generally they come out something like:

1. Composition. A well written song trumps all
    2. A good performance of that composition
    3. Good source sounds, tones that work well together
    4. The skill of the person capturing the performance
    5. The room (both from a tracking and mixing perspective)
    6. Mics and monitors
    7. Everything else (pre-amps, outboard gear used on the way in, etc...)

Some folks will argue the relative position of some of those, but pre-amps would likely fall into the everything else category, and even in there probably not at the top of the list.

An hour a day practicing the art of composing nice songs and selecting good tones that work together well will improve your chances of success a thousand times over more than any piece of gear will, and studying why the songs you love work as well as they do.

Not that there's anything wrong with buying nice gear in the meantime if you can afford it, but you won't get good results until you've done it enough to understand how the pieces fit together. I think that many of us have gone through that newbie phase where we buy some equipment, and then our stuff doesn't suddenly sound great. So we figure, oh well, that was a bunch of BS people fed me about that stuff, it's obviously not the magical stuff that makes everything great. So we sold that stuff, at a loss, and bought some other stuff. And that also didn't make our stuff magically great. So we sold that stuff, at a loss, and bought some other stuff.

I went through probably four or five of those phases, until I figured out I would have been just as well off, and have actually more gear by now, if I'd stuck with what I got to begin with, some of which I ended up rebuying. The problem was/is me and my skill level, not the gear.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/05/29 03:09:42

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 16:01:28 (permalink)
    There is only one constant in preamps. A 1073 always sounds the best on the vocal.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 16:05:19 (permalink)
    Yeah...you can collect all the boutique gear you want, but unless your playing and recording chops are up to snuff, it won't matter.
    Talent can make average gear sound great...of course, great gear is even better.
    The latest Tape OP had an nice quote...something like, "I'd rather have the best drummer in the worst studio than vice versa."
    post edited by RLD - 2011/05/28 16:07:44
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 19:27:22 (permalink)
    I'll tell you what my issue with mic pre's is, Mike...just so you know the method to my madness. I've used everything under the sun...honest. The problem I have is you are commiting something to disc with a pre that can be done AFTER it's been recorded. When you say a mic pre sounds good...you're eqing it using that mic pre. See, this is what I'm against. What you THINK may sound big and fat may be a nightmare once you try to mix it in with the rest of the instruments.

In my opinion, with all the ITB tools today, all I need is a clean line level signal going to disc with a tiny bit of compression to condition the signal and keep it where I need it without sacrificing dynamics. Let me ask you, do you think it would be impossible to achieve what you get with that mic pre after it's been recorded using some UAD stuff or even some stock Sonar plugs? Granted, if you're using the pre to drive something a bit harder, there aren't many things capable of giving us that *good* sounding drive other than the Studer 800 plug...but I rarely use a mic pre to over-drive a sound.

If a mic pre is just going to give me a different sounding eq curve and has not altered the sound of my audio at all when compared to NOT using one, to me this is just hype. I don't like outboard gear to color my signal. I'd rather do it non-destructively ITB where I have the control. Once you commit a mic pre to disc on an instrument, you're stuck with it unless you retrack it...and sometimes you don't have that luxury. I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard people over-use mic pre's that have literally degraded their tones.

As for spending time mic'ing something, 8 out of 10 times, that's how it's done in the real world. The capture is the most important and stops you from having to polish a turd. I've not heard any of your music that wasn't electronic sounding, so I can't comment on whether your use of mic pre's is something I'd be down with or not....not that my opinion matters or anything, which it does not. But there are right ways to use these things and wrong ways to use them. Having something sound different than the source material due to an eq or drive administered is NOT a reason for me or anyone else to invest in these pricey things that really (in my opinion) do not make a HUGE difference that cannot be achieved ITB with the right plugs and know-how.

I did an intereview with a famous producer who has become a pretty good friend of mine over the years by the name of Beau Hill. Beau worked with bands like Ratt, Warrant, Winger Dweezil Zappa, Europe, Alice Cooper and a slew of other killer bands. He's always been a master at getting killer guitar sounds. When I was growing up in the 80's, though people cringe at some of those bands above, I love the guitar playing and the tones. When I heard a killer sounding guitarist on an album, 8 out of 10 times Beau Hill produced it. Getting to know him and be able to call him on the phone to pick his brain once in a while has been incredible for me...not to mention, I've been called a few times and asked a few ITB plug questions. LOL!

Anyway, my point in mentioning that is, I asked Beau about mic pre's and the hype we hear about them. I asked how important he felt they were and if he also felt if you were able to get a good sound without them, should you just use one any way? He response was "no, absolutely not! They will not make your sound bigger, thicker or "more pro". If you get the sound you want you don't need a mic pre for ANYTHING!" There's a guy with close to 70 million sales between all his artists to date. You better believe I'm gonna listen especially since I like the work he's done.

Short story as to what made me sell my Manley stuff, my Drawmer stuff, Joe Meek and all the other crap I paid big bucks for. I was recording my last album and experimenting with various mics on my rig. We got the sound we were looking for but each time we broke the stuff down, even though we had pictures of the set up, wrote it all down, tape as as markers...the whole 9 yards, it always sounded a bit different when we re-mic'd it. I took the tracks home with me and tried to see if I could create a speaker sim sound that sounded like what we got out of the mics and mic pre's. In about 4 hours, I nailed it with room within a room impulses and no mic pre. When I brought the tracks back to the studio, my guy running it there could not tell the difference....and neither could I. This totally showed me I don't need that stuff and I've not looked back or regretted my decision yet. If these mic pre's work for you guys and you get the sound you want, by all means use them. But if you can literally cop the sound you get from this stuff ITB or come close, does that justify a $2000 purchase? Not to me it doesn't. But if it works for you, God Bless and best of luck. :)

So not to be confrontational with Mike or anyone else, I just do not see the need for this as a necessity unless you truly have a problem with line level or you're more of an OTB kind of guy. Just my take and what has worked for me over the years. :) 
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/05/28 19:30:03

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    craigb
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 21:52:59 (permalink)
    Hmm...  Even though I didn't specifically state it in my reply above, I don't want a mic-pre to color my tone, just to help me send a better, stronger signal to my audio interface.

So, that said, if I don't use any mic-pre, what are some good techniques to achieving this goal anyway?

Danny?

AT
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 22:20:11 (permalink)
    sing very very LOUD!

craigb
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/28 23:20:33 (permalink)
    DO RE ME FA SO LA TE DO!

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:What is it about tracks recorded through high-end equipment??? 2011/05/29 00:06:15 (permalink)
      It is interseting to note that several successful commercial albums were recorded on a 4 track portastudio, that's right a simple 4 track portastidio with basic mikes and no pre-amps.

Bruce Springsteen-Nebraska

Guided By voices have used 4 track extensively.

Beck- Loser

There was at least one other well known metal artist who I am having a hard time remembering his name. If it comes to me I'll post it here.

I'm not referring to 1/2 inch reel 4 track I am talking about a cheap Tascam portastudio cassette recorder.

I know the recordings could have been made better on better equipment,however the public liked and the public bought.

To go totally in a 180 here and go the other direction. Not sure how many of you follow U2 or the Foo Fighters. I read about some of their recording experiences a short time ago. It is amazing the amount of  resources that these bands put into their new albums.

U2 for example- They went to Morocco and apparently rented a mosque. Took along a huge entourage of crew and musicians. Stayed there for months. Spent millions of dollars.They have a recorder that never stops. Whenever they are in their recording environment, that recorder is always running.

Foo Fighters- Decided to use no digital equipment in recording. Brought in world class engineers. The lead singer used his house and had a tent set up for additional gear. This was a HUGE undertaking.I believe they brought real studers in or something close to that. 

It should sound  better than a home studio . 

post edited by Starise - 2011/05/29 00:57:32

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1