What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth?

Author
Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
2018/10/31 08:44:06 (permalink)

What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth?

HI:)

What is sent from an Automation Lane to a VST?  Shouldn't it be the same as CCs from the Piano Roll??

The problem: I've made an Automation Track Template with a lot of Automation Levels sent to Addictive Drums. But now I found out with the new Piano Roll that it is easier and faster to do it with CCs.

But I can't figure out which CCs I have to send to AD to work! From the Automation Lanes I can not see, which CCs and if all about CCs are sent (which Midi Channel?). I've googled but I can't find a map or an explanation for these Lanes.

Thank you for any help:)
Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS Shareware
Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
All Versions of Cakewalk
Sonar Platinum 64bit

11 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/10/31 14:01:02 (permalink)
    Automation can communicate with a plug-in two ways. Most plug-ins expose parameters via the program interface (DX, VST, VST3) for automation. These are the named parameters in the automation drop down. Some plug-ins (such as synths) listen for MIDI data. This may be sent using the MIDI parameters in a MIDI track's automation lane.

MIDI CC data shown in the PRV and as part of the clips in the Track View is stored in a different place than the data shown in the automation lanes. This data is sent to the plug-ins that listen for MIDI data the same way as the MIDI data stored in an automation lane.

There is a function to convert MIDI CC data to an automation lane. Going the other way is a little tricky but may be done by recording the CC data from the automation lane into a MIDI track.

What parameters a plug-in responds to via the program interface and CC data is up to the developer. Some plug-ins have ways to assign parameters arbitrarily to automation or MIDI. These plug-ins usually have some UI for making assignments. For MIDI this is often called "MIDI Learn."
    kzmaier
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/10/31 14:34:24 (permalink)
    Wow Scook great info!!!  You da man.

Thanks!!

Best Regards,
    Ken
    Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Bassman002
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/01 07:38:33 (permalink)
    HI:)

@scook

>>>There is a function to convert MIDI CC data to an automation lane. Going the other way is a little tricky but may >>>be done by recording the CC data from the automation lane into a MIDI track.

That's the problem! How can I do that?? I never did that and I don't think it's possible inside Cakewalk. Bounce does only work for Audio, aux Tracks too! From an Instrument Track you can't send automation to another Track nor record Midi Data from a Midi Track, so:

Any Idea?

Thanks;)
    Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/01 14:35:44 (permalink)
    A virtual MIDI cable can route MIDI data between MIDI tracks.
    LoopBE1 and LoopMIDI are both free. Either should work.
    Instrument tracks must be split in order to access MIDI automation on the MIDI track.
    Bassman002
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/01 16:57:07 (permalink)
    @scook

Ok, I'll try that, I've had installed LoopBE some time ago........thanks:)

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/02 01:45:11 (permalink)
    So if I understand correctly, cc data controls the MIDI data of a MIDI track, which any synth will follow when associated with that track, and automation controls the individual synth or audio data specific to it's own track.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/02 02:16:47 (permalink)
    It is up to the plug-in developer to expose automation and implement whatever they choose from the MIDI spec.

Most synths use MIDI data and CC events are part of that data stream. Just like MIDI note data tell the synth what note/velocity/how long to play, CC data can instruct the synth to do actions such as sustain or modulate audio.

Cakewalk can send CC events using an automation lane, as part of the MIDI clip or both. When CC events are recorded as part of a MIDI clip, they are edited in the CC lanes of the PRV. It does not matter if the CC data is created in an automation lane or recorded in the MIDI clip, they are both part of the MIDI data stream.

The plug-in automation is sent using a different data stream. Most synths listen for both automation and MIDI data streams. Most effect plug-ins just listen for automation but some also listen for MIDI data (for example those with MIDI learn capability or VST MIDI plug-ins).

There is also automation for certain DAW functions such as track volume, pan and mute.

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/02 03:46:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing that up for me scook.
    Bassman002
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/02 09:34:30 (permalink)
    Hi:)

@scook

Automation must work different, I can't record anything with a virtual midi cable and I've tried Loopbe, midiloop and midiyoke.
    My Envelope Track to AD is set to Midichannel 10, but there are about 300 parameters to automate, you know with 1 midichannel only 128 are possible! So automation has to work in any other way, there is no Midi Data coming out to record. Tried with channel 10, 1 and none to send and record, no data receiving:(

Next I try to go extern through a midi cable, but I can't see that this makes a difference instead of virtual cables!

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/02 14:12:02 (permalink)
    The named parameters associated with a plug-in are not MIDI automation. Only MIDI automation may be recorded on a MIDI track. Trying to record the hundreds of named parameters for a plug-in to a MIDI track is like trying to record audio on a MIDI track. It is a different type of data.

Looking at the AD2 manual CC data can control some hi hat and snare parameters. The bulk of automation is not handled with MIDI data.
    Bassman002
    Re: What is the difference between Automation and CC sent to a Synth? 2018/11/02 14:42:28 (permalink)
    Hi:)

>>>Looking at the AD2 manual CC data can control some hi hat and snare parameters. The bulk of automation is not >>>handled with MIDI data. 

That's why I can't find any map:)

So, I'll do it as usual with automation......

Thank you scook:)

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1