What is up with midi on my system

Author
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
2017/04/10 23:23:41 (permalink)

What is up with midi on my system

hi

I own a Tyros 5 keyboard and had just made a midi song In the Tyros sequencer with a straight play through.
Now I would like to edit some minor mistakes and that cannot be asking a lot.
I copy save from the Tyros 5 and open in Sonar Platinum and answer yes to system Exclusive when a box pops up.

Ok ,now I am In piano roll and start the song I made.

The song Is a semi tone out and If I ring all up and move up to a semi tone all plays well untill I get to half way and it goes out a semi tone again.

I do  have a copy of Mixcraft ,but you have to have your sound device on,but It plays as it should
The only thing with Mixcraft and midi is it is a bit more basic and It knocks out my program changes which i have to manually put back when on the Tyros.

The question is why does my perfectly In tune midi file from the Tyros 5 play  a semi tone out In Sonar???

all the Best
John

15 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/10 23:33:31 (permalink)
    I know one thing for sure, the issue is within the Tyros , not Sonar. The Tyros is obviously exporting the midi file with the transposing added. Do you have the transpose feature engaged?

Sonar plays what it is given.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/11 00:21:24 (permalink)
    Hi John

I have looked up the song In Song creator and the transpose feature Is set to zero 0 on all channels.
    Not all my songs go out a semitone but a few do,so It Is hard to nail It down

I have just tried Mike Bedeseems Mixmaster program and my song plays 100%, but i cannot edit it like you can In sonar ,so It has to be sonar.There Is no transpose on anywhere and I have looked at my event list and all tally's.
    I do find editing midi In sonar hit and miss and always have to find workarounds
    Sonar has no problem with vst , but I like to play a song and record  it straight and do minor edits. More fun that way as it is more of a live play.
    Someone may shed some light on this ,but i cannot fathom this one out yet

All the bEST
    jOHN
    post edited by igiwigi - 2017/04/11 00:42:57
    Cactus Music
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/11 03:00:44 (permalink)
    Ya I'll agree that Sonars midi editing has a lot of weirdness for me too. That's a good idea to open the file in another sequencer, that really proves something is up. 

I use Anvil Studio   http://www.anvilstudio.com/   

To open problematic midi files. 
    I've always had issues with Sonars event list not showing everything the way other sequencers will. 

But it almost sounds like Sonar is misinterpreting something in the file. So that's why I was wondering about the transpose feature. My A 49 has one and I use it all the time because I'm a terrible keyboard player and need to cheat my ar-se off. But it's always resulted in a steady flow of note in the correct key. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/11 12:50:14 (permalink)
    Find a spot where the transpose problem occurs and take a look at the events list for all MIDI tracks at that time point. There might be a spurious command in there that's responsible.

Another possibility is that the controller is sending pitch bend information when it shouldn't be, though I'd expect that to show up in any software capable of handling pitch bend data.

If the problem always occurs at the same time point I'd suspect a MIDI CC that's got recorded somehow to be the problem, if it's more random then I'd check to see if something sending an unwanted transpose/pitch bend command.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/12 14:27:40 (permalink)
    You could try going into preferences and removing the check from the box for the parameter that ells Sonar whether or not to Zero All Controllers when transport is stopped.

I have some presets for some soft synths that have their pitch lowered by a whole step if I have the Zero All Controllers box checked. For MY situation, these certain synths/presets get goofed up, but 99% of my synths and their presets do NOT have any issues from having the parameter checked.

I don't have Sonar on this laptop, so cannot give you more precise information on where to find that parameter in Sonar preferences - sorry about that.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you can always check the box again for that parameter, if desired.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/12 14:58:33 (permalink)
    Could be a bad mod wheel reading. Those things flake out as they wear out. What tlw suggests is what I would recommend as well.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Cactus Music
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/12 15:51:16 (permalink)
    Two important questions would be: 
    1. Does the song "play" out of tune but the notes in PRV are still correct? 
    2. Or are the notes changing at this point? 

A mod wheel event would be #1

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/13 14:37:47 (permalink)
    hi Johnny

Sorry for late reply.and to all who have replied

The notes In the piano roll were correct and played out of tune by a semitone ,but futher along after a program sound change still on the track 1 it started to play in tune again.
    it is only one section or verse that went off .
    I played an intro on piano and there was a little gap and then the verse came in out of tune and later a program change to a clarinet which played ok and after the piano came back in also ok until the end.

I did not multi track the song I used registration changes on the tyros and played the song in one hit.
    I will to get a better mix use separate channels later.
    A song In the tyros seems to do this now and then  but not always out of tune .Strange occurance.

My mod wheel is not worn at all as Dan said maybe.  I use a footpedal most of the time.

igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/13 14:49:24 (permalink)
    Thanks to all that replied to me .I thank you very much for your kind help.

I looked Into my preferences and noticed that the box where   RECORD LATENCY ADJUSTMENT SAMPLES was, a Fl studio asio driver was in the device box.
    I do not use Fl Studio anymore and I have Focusrite drivers obviously for my Focusrite 6i6box.
    I uninstalled the Fl Studio Driver and restarted my Focusrite 6i6 and that Is now In the box.
    I played the song and all In tune now,so i hope that does the trick permanently.
    I am sorry I did not notice that In the first place as my focusrite drivers are showing in device settings.
    can It be as simple as that ???
    I will be over the moon if all will be stable now
    That piece of music maybe messed up now ,but I will do another and test

Thanks to Dan, Robert,TLW, and Johnny from cactus Music

all the best
    John

Ps if you want to see what a silly "B" I am here is a link   https://soundcloud.com/silver-machine

post edited by igiwigi - 2017/04/13 15:55:27
    igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/20 13:56:45 (permalink)
    Hi To All That Has tried to help me .

I still have the same problem
    I recorded a song on my Tyros 5

On track 1, I played the entire song with program changes on same track as I used registrations to change sounds.
    The Style tracks with drums are all ok,no problem.

It seems that the first part on track 1 before first program change messes up on track 1 and  track 2.
    2 being my left hand.
    All a semitone out.
    If i try to correct this by moving the offending parts up a semitone to align again a lot of other  the things start going haywire. So the problem i got needs solving
    After a program change all is ok for rest of the song.

The madening thing about this is Mike Bedeseems Mixmaster plays everything ok ,but that program has no piano Roll.
    Sonar Platinum has and It plays my midi all to cock.
    Since this new update things are going backwards for me.

All the best
    John HELP!!

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/20 15:10:48 (permalink)
    Hi did you try going into Edit>Preferences>Project>MIDI and removing the check from the box for the parameter labeled: Zero Controllers When Play Stops?

Doing the above for ME fixed a problem where one synth's preset would have its pitch shifted inexplicably.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/20 15:24:19 (permalink)
    Hi Robert
    Yes I did that and no change.
    I have not the feintest idea what is wrong with the communication between Sonar and the Tyros 5.
    I have been through all that I know in preferences etc.

All the best
    john
    Cactus Music
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/20 15:33:25 (permalink)
    So just to understand.. You record a song on the Tyros, then you transfer it over to Sonar using Sonar's clock to drive the Tyros correct?   
    And the song you record on the Tyros once transferred to a midi track in Sonar changes pitch when ever a Program Change happens? 
    And to be clear when this happens: 
    1- In PRV the note that is on an "E" lane--   plays as an F.  OR
    2- The note that was originally PLAYED as an E shows as an F in PVR   This is important to understand where the issue is. 

What do you see when you open the event list at this place where this happens? 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/20 16:18:47 (permalink)
    Hi John
    I record a song all on track 1 for the lead
    Track 2 is for my left hand

I start with  intro on  track 1 and track 2   registration 1 and are both the same semitone out. Actually it is down one semitone.

After four bars and the next progarm change is my registration 2 which i made on the Tyros
    All plays ok from then ,but if you try moving the track 1 and 2 back up to where It should be other stupid things happen.

I have just looked at my registrations 1 and 2 and looked at the proprerties

I have unchecked the transpose In the registration memory on the Tyros and now will try a recording.
    I am not sure whether this will have any bearing on the problem.

All the best
    John
    post edited by igiwigi - 2017/04/20 16:51:13
    igiwigi
    Re: What is up with midi on my system 2017/04/20 18:22:52 (permalink)
    Hi again

here is myEvent list area where things go pear shaped with that semitone down.
    I took screen shot of that area it starts

Cannot seem to get the image showing on page here .put in url but just get this little square

If you click on it and  choose view  it should take you to box ,com where the image is
    other than that this also is puzzling

All the best
    john
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1