What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2011/09/22 20:42:06 (permalink)

What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project

I am comfortable with writing lyrics and if I write and play acoustic guitar or keys while I write a tune flows with the words. I am trying to not do that so much, trying to stock up on lyrics and I have abut three notebooks full. Some have a melody some don't.
I have a few instrumental ideas too. I am interested in how you start the recording process after you have a bisic idea. Do you always do a scratch track? Do you lay down some drums and some bass and add as it goes? Where do you usually start and do you start different kinds of songs different ways... to be clear, I am not talking about the intro, I am talking about the recording process.

Thanks for the input.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!

23 Replies Related Threads

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/22 21:58:24 (permalink)
    I get really hung up on lyrics. I've always started with the basic changes, basic melody for the vocals with gibberish lyrics and try to come up with a theme and permanent lyrics when things start sounding as they do in my head. All too often though I get stalled out for months and even years coming up with lyrics. That's great that you can come up with words so easily, words are just not easy for me.

Me

jbow
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/22 22:10:35 (permalink)
    words are just not easy for me

Have you tried MasterWriter? I have it but I still motly write in notebooks. Words seem to come easiest when I am going to sleep or when I just awaken. I also wrote a huge rash of songs about 20 years ago when I was drinking too much and quit. The sonsjust poured out then. I also find that it is almost like a pipeline, you have to write the junk and the better stuff or it gets stopped up.. so to speak.
    MasterWriter is 10 bucks a month and has everything you could need to help write lyrics or poetry. It even has a simple recorder built in.. it's pretty cool to help get you over a hump.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/22 22:26:36 (permalink)
    Hmm, Masterwriter, I'll look into that thanks.

Me

Myuzishin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 03:59:52 (permalink)
    Not being a lyricist, my tunes are almost exclusively instrumental (altho I'm hammering out a rap song these days, an idea sparked by a friend's son who's into it).

The key for me is to get the idea into the recording somehow. So if its a chord progression or a melody or even just a cool lead line, I'll throw something quickly together in Sonar to capture it. Usually its a basic midi drum track at tempo and the guitar or keys the the idea is written with. Even if its only a few measures, its important to get it recorded and saved.

Next I will usually map out a new version and try to come up with connectives (chorus, verse, intro, whatever it needs) and work on a structure for the tune. I use Markers in Sonar alot, and place them along the timeline where things will go, number of repetitions, etc. I typically concentrate on structure until its all mapped out, using the basic midi drums just for timing.

Once the map is laid out, I'll start tracking (with tones of choice) the instrument I wrote the idea on. For me, its important to make fire out of the spark that started the thing, so I'll do that instrument first. After I have a good rough draft (which I may  or may not do over/edit later), I'll go thru and track other things, usually bass is next. I almost invariably do drum tracks LAST, because once the majority of the other tracks are done I'll have a better idea of the overall groove, where the fills/crashes are gonna go, etc. 

While there's nothin written in stone about ANY of this, its the path I usually follow. I have been known to restructure songs in the middle of working them perhaps to modulate a progression or add a break, but the layout of the tune is one of the most important things for me to get nailed down. That and the initial mood.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road

MySoundClickPage
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 07:58:20 (permalink)
    I am interested in how you start the recording process after you have a bisic idea. Do you always do a scratch track? Do you lay down some drums and some bass and add as it goes? Where do you usually start and do you start different kinds of songs different ways... to be clear, I am not talking about the intro, I am talking about the recording process.

It starts with a finished song (not the same as a finished production). Whether I wrote it, or someone else has - I listen to that song in it's raw form and determine a direction to take for production. At this same time - I nail down a tempo, or at the very least get it really close.
    1. I reach to Superior Drummer, and look for loops that capture the feel of the song. I then create a loose "top to bottom" structure of the song. I will make sure the stops / starts are there, but I don't worry about fills yet. That comes in step 4.
    2. I lay down the bass part. This "may" not be the final part, but I do want it good enough to track the other instruments.
    3. Lay down some instuments. Rhythm guitar, acoustics, pads, etc... At this point I want the song to sound inspiring enough to get the vocals down. (If it adds to the inspiration, I may lay down a lead instrument as well - but not always)
    4. Track the lead vocals and the harmonies!
    5. Now I go back and track the rest of the instruments - working them around the vocals. The reason I don't spend a lot of time on the instruments in 1 - 3 is because they need to compliment the vocals, but at the same time - they need to be inspiring enough to get a good vocal down. It is this stage there is no formula. I'll go back and forth between instruments - adding/subtracting things as I go until I get what I (or the client) is after.
    That's just my way of doing it, not necessarily the best/right way to do it

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 09:22:14 (permalink)
    I usually put an audio, sometimes MIDI scratch track down, sometimes with a scratch vocal as well. I'll usually play that along to drums from one of my drum machines that is something like I envisage the beat being.

Then I'll program drums to more-or-less the finished beat using usually the step sequencer and copy & paste to create the various sections.

Next I'll lay down a bass line sometimes two or three with different styles.

Then I start adding loads of other tracks, guitars usually 4 or 5 different tracks/sounds with many layered takes of each. Keyboards and synth sounds follow that so I end up with just about everything I could possibly want to reach the goal in my head recorded.

Vocals ususally go on last although I sometimes put them down first after the scratch track.

Then I start comping tracks until I've got a whole bunch of single one layer tracks.

I'll then lay the project dormant for a week or two. When I go back to it I'll start mixing it very roughly and may at that stage re-track some instruments or add more. All depends on what I have in my head about how it should be.

When it is mixed I'll have probably lost 50% of what I actually tracked.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 09:34:31 (permalink)
    How do I write a song?   let me count the ways....

It depends.  Sometimes I have a lyric idea, sometimes a melody or chord progression or simply a title.  Several of my songs have started form just a title.  

My newest, not yet released to the songs forum was like that... a title and then write it from there.  I had the title, then put the music together, and sent the tracks to my co-writer who threw some lyrical ideas back to me...and so began the newest song from us both..... and it's now waiting on final vocal tracks. It should end up as a duet if all goes as planned. It started with just a title idea and the music. 

I have been co-writing a lot recently and really enjoy it. With the right co-writer, some amazing things can happen. 

My writing process have changed over the years as technology has improved. 

I used to write in note books. I too, have many notebooks filled or partially filled with mostly bad and dead-end ideas.  Some made it to a finished song, but most didn't.

Now, I use Masterwriter quite a bit in my writing. I bought the MW2 software a few years back and have found it very useful in keeping all the songs together and cataloged. The tools like rhyming dictionary are excellent when I get stuck for an idea and hit that dreaded blank mind state.  Browsing the multiple pages of rhyming words and phrases can very often spark a new direction in the lyric. I also use the Songuard feature to protect the music until it gets signed or published. Quick and handy. 

I also use Band in a Box as a musical & lyrical scratch pad. It has replaced my notepad & pencil for working on song ideas. The ease of changing and trying different chords and song structure, plus it has a lyric view window, make it the perfect way to work on a song in the development stages. It sounds midi depending on the style used, but it gets the job done and helps me to hear what the song might eventually sound like before I ever record the first track.

Working with BB, I will grab my acoustic guitar and play. I start with a blank new project and start banging out the chords and idea on my acoustic, writing them into BB as I go. Words are written into the lyric window at the same time.  This way, I don't forget the feel/groove of the song as I very often would do with something written on paper. I can't count the times I would come back to my notepad the next day to work on it again, and could not, for the life of me, remember the melody or the groove to the song idea. Being able to have it in a computer and being able to record the melody changed all that. 

Quite often, just as with a notepad, the idea still goes nowhere and the song is abandoned. At other times, the idea is good enough to make to to a finished tune. 

Occasionally, I will still start an idea on a piece of paper if the DAW isn't on. But if the idea looks promising, I will fire up the DAW to capture it while it's still hot. 

Technology has changed how I write, and the internet lets me collaborate almost in a real time scenario with writers all over, regardless of where they live.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/09/23 09:37:28

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 09:57:14 (permalink)
    I do the music - the rhythm stuff.  Usually I start w/ a keyboard riff and build it from that.  Lately I've been using bass lines to start.  Once I get the song about finished, I give it to my vocalist (my wife) along with lyrics and she does the melody part.  I do the work, and she gets the songwriting credit (according to the accepted copyright rules).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    jbow
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 10:57:19 (permalink)
    Thanks all... ohgrant, Myuzishin, Codamedia, FBB, Guitarhacker, and AT..  this is what I was looking for. It is encouraging to me to hear how you do it. Getting to a point where I feel like I have more than a simple demo is really hard for me. I have no problem doing a simple drum track with some loops, playing some rhythm guitar, and doing a lead... but I know that is really meaningless because it is not my goal.
    I appreciate the explainations and I will be re-reading it all and I will use it. I don't know if there is a recording equivalent of writers block but if there is, I have it. It is almost a phobia but this helps me.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 11:59:30 (permalink)
    Mostly instrumental here, but my composition technique consist of building.

I'll hear a melody line and decide what should go underneath it. 

In terms of song structure, I go the same way as another poster mentioned above by using markers. Once determined what's what, I tweak the composition of each track to suit the markers.

Most of the time, I throw everything on the table, and then decide what to keep on and take off. (ie: the audio percussion & drums tracks for Blossoms). Fleshing out the song from start to finish. I also keep "____ Edits" files to keep track while also using Excel to document changes.

[philosophical lament]I'm not a very good lyricist and this may sound like I'm brushing it off, but not all songs need them. The music can speak as loudly or louder than the words attached to them. Does one convey music through words or words through music?[/philosophical lament]

As far as what tools used: It's just me and my DAW.

It takes a good minute to complete my songs (composition wise) even demos because I am a perfectionist.

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

jbow
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 12:18:41 (permalink)
    Thanks Rus...

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 12:37:05 (permalink)

It starts with an idea. I record my rough ideas with a hand held digital recorder.
    I may get 1 or 20 ideas at a sitting. 
    Just me flailing away with a geetar trying to come up with something.
    The next step is to transfer those to a folder on my DAW desktop via usb.
    I fire up SONAR. 
    My start template has all tracks setup and ready to go.
    3 git tracks, bass, drums, vsti's, fx, busses, routing, etc.
    All ready to go when I hit "R".

I then cull through my folder of rough ideas till one hits me the right way.
    I determine the tempo of the rough idea with Tap Tempo and proceed to start a scratch drum track using a midi file that is close to what I want.
    From that point, guitars are added marking out the intro, verse, chorus, etc., till I get a basic outline.
    Along the way I'll write bass, drum fills and what ever I need to fulfill the vision created from the rough idea.

That's how I do it. 
    Here is the rough idea from the hand held recorder morphing into the finished version.
    Rough to Finished

post edited by RLD - 2011/09/23 12:38:38
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 13:50:01 (permalink)
    +1 on it starts with an idea

I am looking for a sound to inspire me. That then starts the creative process of doing 8-16 bars of something. If it works, I continue; if not, then it is recorded for another day to work on.

Once I have an idea, I then decide what kind of song it is (as I write in every genre). There are rules and tropes to every genre, so filling out a song isn't that hard if you have a decent musical encyclopedia. Words will follow the same path.
    Myuzishin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 13:55:12 (permalink)
    RLD sed,

"My start template has all tracks setup and ready to go.
    3 git tracks, bass, drums, vsti's, fx, busses, routing, etc.
    All ready to go when I hit "R". "

This is a great idea, and something I have been doing recently as well. Take advantage of templates and such so that when you're ready to record things, its all set up. Anything you can do to minimize the mechanics of recording is good, and allows you to concentrate on the creative process that much more.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road

MySoundClickPage
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 13:57:27 (permalink)
    usually get a riff going, play with it for a day or two, record that and then get the rest of the song whilst recording...i always record guitar to a click track, then add drums afterwards, which i know is 'wrong'...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 15:19:18 (permalink)
    After my idea I just build around it. Usually I try to get a defined tempo for structure. Then play around with it til I can make a decent loop. Then the arrangement followed by the lyrics which is always the hardest part for me.
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/23 17:41:07 (permalink)
    1. Find a tempo
    2. Find a 'groove' (midi pattern) in SD2...fill out the same groove to the length of the song
    3. Play rough acoustic track with chord changes etc
    4. Sing a rough vocal to work out verse positions etc
    5. Next (my most hated part) try to turn the midi drum groove into something decent...by trying to use fills and variations
    6. Record a proper acoustic guitar backing track
    7. Record bass
    8. Vocal.
    9. BU Vocals, lead licks, licks...etc...anything else
    10. Mix

THE most annoying, dull, anti productive, slow, project killing step is...step 5...very tough to work out drum parts that don't suck.
    jbow
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/24 10:49:21 (permalink)
    Thanks RLD... this is really helpful to me.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/24 10:53:26 (permalink)
    1. Find a tempo 2. Find a 'groove' (midi pattern) in SD2...fill out the same groove to the length of the song 3. Play rough acoustic track with chord changes etc 4. Sing a rough vocal to work out verse positions etc 5. Next (my most hated part) try to turn the midi drum groove into something decent...by trying to use fills and variations 6. Record a proper acoustic guitar backing track 7. Record bass 8. Vocal. 9. BU Vocals, lead licks, licks...etc...anything else 10. Mix THE most annoying, dull, anti productive, slow, project killing step is...step 5...very tough to work out drum parts that don't suck.

So yuo basically make a scratch track then redo the drums (ugh) then redo everything else...

That seems pretty much like me but, the drums have always tripped me up. It has become easier with the tools we have now. I think I just need to practice more. 'preciate it!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    jbow
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/24 10:56:55 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.. every little bit of encouragement means a lot to me. At some point in trying I think I got "snakebit" by crashes, not understanding things, not having good enough equipment, bottlenecks, etc, etc, and now it has been really hard for me to get started again... I have let myself get stuck in preparation mode and  Igotta get out of this rut. You are all a help.
    Thanks!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/24 10:57:02 (permalink)
    Like others have said, it starts with an idea. But how to develop that idea? To make sure I remember the essence of my original idea, I have my system set up ready to record. All I need to do is turn on my computer, hardware and mixer, arm a track and then I am ready to roll. It literally take me under a minute to start recording. If I don't have a title, I will save my file as a date file (e.g. Idea092411) I like to get the basic idea down and then wait a few days to listen back. If it's something that excites me, I will continue working on it. Otherwise, I will keep the song file on my hard drive. Sometimes a future listen will reignite the creative spark and get me back to working on the song.

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/24 13:04:30 (permalink)
    NW Smith

Like others have said, it starts with an idea. But how to develop that idea? To make sure I remember the essence of my original idea, I have my system set up ready to record. All I need to do is turn on my computer, hardware and mixer, arm a track and then I am ready to roll. It literally take me under a minute to start recording. If I don't have a title, I will save my file as a date file (e.g. Idea092411) I like to get the basic idea down and then wait a few days to listen back. If it's something that excites me, I will continue working on it. Otherwise, I will keep the song file on my hard drive. Sometimes a future listen will reignite the creative spark and get me back to working on the song.

Yeah. The adverse for me at least though - is losing an idea after coming back to the project. It's as if I should jot it down immediately after hearing it. However, after a few listens, it comes back to me. Oh. and here's a piece of advice: Ideas vary. What I mean is: if you write down what you heard initially, the next time you might hear that same idea, but varied a little bit. As one poster said, it is frustrating sometimes to vary patterns, but it's not as hard as people make it.

I did this with Blossoms trying to figure out the bass line for the bridge in the song to differentiate it from the verse and chorus and presto!

The thing with variations is trying to figure out how to get from Point A to B (ie: Chord root to Chord root). I've got three different variations in the bridge, but I also have some in the verses and choruses as well; however, they are pretty much determined being the main part of the song. The patterns fit based on the chord progressions. As long as I end up at point B, the routes from point A can and often are many. It's not just bass lines this works for, but any other part there is in your composition.

post edited by Rus W - 2011/09/24 13:20:24

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:What is your method or procedure for starting to record a project 2011/09/24 18:45:08 (permalink)
    jbow

1. Find a tempo 2. Find a 'groove' (midi pattern) in SD2...fill out the same groove to the length of the song 3. Play rough acoustic track with chord changes etc 4. Sing a rough vocal to work out verse positions etc 5. Next (my most hated part) try to turn the midi drum groove into something decent...by trying to use fills and variations 6. Record a proper acoustic guitar backing track 7. Record bass 8. Vocal. 9. BU Vocals, lead licks, licks...etc...anything else 10. Mix THE most annoying, dull, anti productive, slow, project killing step is...step 5...very tough to work out drum parts that don't suck.

So yuo basically make a scratch track then redo the drums (ugh) then redo everything else...

That seems pretty much like me but, the drums have always tripped me up. It has become easier with the tools we have now. I think I just need to practice more. 'preciate it!

Julien

Yeah...and yeah...more practise with e-drums is needed...so it becomes less ugly/ frustrating...it is hard to trawl through all those patterns to find one that suits your specific song....there's millions to trawl through and it's just luck if one really fits. The alternative is to play it on a midi keyboard...which for fills is tough...doable if you're a keyboard drummer...then there's e-drum rigs...and real drums...

Good luck
    post edited by montezuma - 2011/09/24 18:47:41
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1