What it was then...What it is now!

Author
soundchaser59
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 558
2009/03/21 22:15:41 (permalink)

What it was then...What it is now!

Then And Now

A quick and dirty mix, testing a Sonar template and some new plugins.

As usual, Emily did a great job singing both parts. The guitar is a bit sloppy, but it's an Ovation so what can be done...... throw in some faux ivory.....

I am no longer objective on this one, so please let me know what to do with it. I think the voice is not loud enough, etc.... Thanks!

THEN AND NOW

smile for the pauper kiss for the king
gold for fairytales hearts for the queen
maidens and jewels castles and steeds
knights for damsels princes brave deeds

all the ages come home to me
never changes love is all we need

laugh with a jester dance for a fief
dine with a server wine for a thief
happily history life will repeat
say you will stay until my love you meet

through the ages love is all we need

hand so tender eyes so free
soulful whisper softly to be
warm like summer bird on a breeze
sun for flowers wind for the seas

sing like a puppy coo like a dove
bees in the honey hands in a glove
happily can you be a gift from above
say you will stay until I give my love

through the ages love is all we need

say you will stay
I give my love to you

20 Replies Related Threads

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/21 22:57:08 (permalink)
    The ovation sounds fine. Keys are too far back, vox too far back. I use an ovation and really like it. I thought yours sounds great. Pretty song. Emily sounds good I'd like to hear her up in the mix.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/21 22:58:12 (permalink)
    Lovely. Emily has a wonderful voice.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    soundchaser59
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/22 18:45:25 (permalink)
    Fits the overall consensus....... not enough Emily!

Thanks, I'll work on it some more. I want to get a bit of the brighter edge out of the acoustic also. I dont dislike the Ovation, but after all these years I now understand why people would prefer to mic something like a Martin or a Taylor.
    post edited by soundchaser59 - 2009/03/22 18:51:23
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/22 18:56:07 (permalink)
    Hey Gary,
    GREAT tune and recording. I agree with the others more Emily in the mix. I think you did a FANTASTIC job on the Ovation. All in all this was a FANTASTIC song and performance. KUDOS!

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/22 18:58:59 (permalink)
    Guitar sounds good to my ears too. You know how to play it. Just bring her vox forward a bit more. Nice composition! I mic my guitar, but only because I never had the ability able to get a good DI sound...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/22 22:07:09 (permalink)
    Nice. I agree bring up her vocal. It's pretty tingly and nice. The accoustic, on my crappy speakers here, are a leetle bit toppy, and probably that'll be the case on most small cheap speakers with their raspy high end. So maybe a little bit of rolloff up there somewhere might be nice, I dunno. But otherwise it sounds nice and full.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    soundchaser59
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/23 01:20:00 (permalink)
    This tune has been updated slightly. Less boom in the guitar by cutting between 80-150 with a narrow notch parametric. Turned it down 2 or 3 db also, and removed one of the el cheapo free plugs I was using on it. Piano came up a tiny bit, 1 or 2 db, and the voices came up at least 3 or 4 db. Changed the eq plug on the guitar bus also, took out the Kjaerhus and put in the Modern Channel. I like Kjaerhus for other things, but not much luck with it on ac guitar.

I have no clue what the "Audio Anyliser" is in Sonar, I could not find anything by that name. So I just used the graphic eq module in Ozone to view the guitar spikes. It was pretty bad between 80-150. A friend brought over his $4000 dollar Taylor and it was awesome, perfectly flat response across the spectrum! WOW! Now my Ovation will sound like crap every time I touch it.

Not sure what else to do with it, so hope it's better than it was.
    BOBK
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/23 02:25:56 (permalink)
    Beautiful!!

Sounds like a music box.

The gentle pulling of the fingers on the strings brings out the ringing quality of them.

The pauses are exquisite!!!
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/23 10:06:32 (permalink)
    Yup it sounds unmistakenly like an ovation.... It works here. Emily has a wonderful voice. This is very nice.

No real crits .... Enjoyed it very much

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/23 11:06:04 (permalink)
    Very pretty song sung by a very pretty voice...i love how that works!

nice recording/guitars.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    soundchaser59
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/24 20:40:59 (permalink)
    I got this updated for the last time, I dont think I have the weapons or the skill to get it any better than this. So let me know if this sounds like an improvement.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/24 20:56:55 (permalink)
    OK.. I like it... E sings good. the guitar sounds good. I'm listening again... I hear Vox.... guitar... and some harmony vox in places.... so I'm thinking you don't have many tracks...

I'm not 100% on the mix, & EQ. guitar is still overpowering the singer, I can't understand the words clearly because of the guitar, and her vox is not as sweet (EQ and presence) as it could/should be.

Try putting Ozone in the track FX bin on the guitar and another instance in the lead Vox track.... use it to eq and process the vox and guitar individually.... you can use the Eq to fine tune the freq response in that track..... solo the track and just work on that one sound until it's very pleasing....add some light reverb in O4 and then back it off a few clicks... you can do levels later........I do that on lead vox....and then bounce it to a track...that eases up the processing load..... I mix in audio with no track FX.... and I'll insert O4 into the master bus on the final take. At this time the EQ is usually pretty close to flat.... I use the widening and compressors to bump up the punch.

then mix it again.. with the vox being the star... not the guitar. The guitar can go down by 30% or so.... and let Emily's singing carry this.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/24 21:06:12

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/24 21:01:36 (permalink)
    Very well done. Beautiful singing voice. I really enjoyed this.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    soundchaser59
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/25 11:46:08 (permalink)
    I cant put Ozone in any bin in Sonar, it will lock up my machine and kill everything. I dont know why, but I seem to be the only one having this problem with Ozone. But then I'm the one who always forgets to reset my latency number when I mix, that's probably it.

I keep turning the guitar down in Sonar, but then when I run it thru Ozone (in Wavelab) the guitar comes right back to the top again. Not sure why.

So thanks for the feedback, Ozone is abit of a "black box" for me right now, but I like the tune better now than what it was before, so I appreciate the help.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/25 12:29:30 (permalink)
    This takes me back to those folk masses my family used to attend back in the mid-70s. With much better guitar playing!
    evadianepug
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/27 14:57:56 (permalink)
    I didn't see the remix post. This is beautiful. That Ovation sounds beautiful. It would be bopring if all acoustics sounded the same. Yours is BEAUTIFUL. I can't get mine to sound liket that. I have new speakers here at the office and Emily is right there now and this is AWESOME. Nice mix. If you ever get a chance, email or PM any hints you might have for me to get mine to sound like that!! I don't like Ovation better because I have one but I like yours as much as any acoustic I've heard recently. I'll stop now!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    soundchaser59
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/29 14:20:05 (permalink)
    I Used a C414 on fig 8 pattern for the "side" mic, an AT2035 for the "mid" mic in a "mid/side" arrangement. No rolloffs, no pads. Placed about 18 inches in front of the 15th fret. I may change that approach to get the mics away from the soundhole projection.

3 tracks in Sonar, one for the mid, two for the side. Clone the side track, pan them hard L hard R, and reverse phase on one of them. Run the mid track thru a hi pass filter, but the Ovation I have needs a hard and narrow notch centered on 90 or 100hz, a bit less than 1 octave bandwidth.

Dont remember off the top of my head what other plugs I used, but I think there is a Modern Channel or a Modern EQ plug on it, set for the AGTR preset, and a bit of shallow Kjaerhus reverb. I went back to lite bronze strings, and turn up the gain so I could finger pick it more litely. I dont use the internal pickup at all any more, but the mics really pick up that boomy thud that characterizes the Ovation deep bowl.

I'd love to replace it with a Larrivee or a Taylor, but my wife wont let me sell the darn thing. It's a 1982 Custom O.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/29 15:04:07 (permalink)
    I really love the sound of that acoustic, very nice job there. And Emily has an angelic voice. I think this is beautiful just the way it is.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    evadianepug
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/29 17:37:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I don't understand a thing you're saying but I'll figure it out! I'm just back into this stuff so.... Thanks!!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: What it was then...What it is now! 2009/03/29 17:44:05 (permalink)
    The guitar sounds lovely to my ears, can't find any fault with the sound or the playing of it. I love your voice, has a nice folky quality to it. Very nice song too. Enjoyed.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1