What makes a good Analog/Digital Converter

Author
AudioInsanity
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2007/11/18 11:27:02 (permalink)

What makes a good Analog/Digital Converter

Looking for a little advice. One area that I don't understand much is, what makes a good A/D converter. I see a lot of difference in prices obviously in gear with converters, but how do you really break down A/D converters tech wise to tell what is a good converter.

What are some things to look for and consider when comparing converters?

Currently I am using a Wamirack 192x I think it is ok. The preamps are a little weak for me but I have other pre's so that is ok. I was just kind of curious where my A/D's land in the playing field.

Anyhow, I know you guy and gals here are great at helping people learn about stuff they dont know much about. I did search for info...but couldnt really find any discussions that really nail it down for me...so thx in advance for your help. ;)

3 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: What makes a good Analog/Digital Converter 2007/11/18 12:14:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AudioInsanity

Looking for a little advice. One area that I don't understand much is, what makes a good A/D converter. I see a lot of difference in prices obviously in gear with converters, but how do you really break down A/D converters tech wise to tell what is a good converter.

What are some things to look for and consider when comparing converters?

Currently I am using a Wamirack 192x I think it is ok. The preamps are a little weak for me but I have other pre's so that is ok. I was just kind of curious where my A/D's land in the playing field.

Anyhow, I know you guy and gals here are great at helping people learn about stuff they dont know much about. I did search for info...but couldnt really find any discussions that really nail it down for me...so thx in advance for your help. ;)

It's a fine art, it's not all just the chip used because many with the same chip have very different quality sound. There are many factors like how the board is layed out, other components used, quality of the sample rate clock, if there is clock "correction" built in, analog stages on both sides, how the pre conversion filter works, quality control in making the things.. its a very complex business and the folks who do it well want lots of money for taking the time and effort to get it right.

There can also be differences that depend on how it's used. For example some sound good at higher rates like 96k but not at 44.1, the good ones sound great at all rates. Some don't do well when an external clock is used because they don't have clock repair technology but do great when working under their own clock. So a user that has an external clcok source might think the thing is junk when it's really very good when used stand alone. I try to avoid having more then one digital device in my system so all conversion happens in one box or card and no digital audio or clock has to travel down a wire.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: What makes a good Analog/Digital Converter 2007/11/18 13:56:45 (permalink)
    Ohhey pretty much laid it out. I don't know that there's any real "spec" or meaningful way for a consumer to distinguish good from bad based on data sheets or what have you, because it is in large part dependent on the particulars of the design and construction and how everything fits together.

Obviously signal integrity of the analog front-end is critical, and how you use the converters matters here too, since so many people with all-digital setups are recording at signal levels that would be considered extremely high for typical studio work. The 0dB "target" on a typical analog VU meter is often 18 or more dB lower than say the -6dBFS "target" level that many digital studios use as their record level. Clearly a circuit optimized to handle steady-state signals of 1 volt with headroom up to 16V would be somewhat different from a circuit optimized to handle steady-state 16V with similar logarithmic headroom (that's actually 256V peak!). I suppose for typical super-hot, home studio line level that is pushed close to 0dBFS, you would actually want a circuit optimized to handle something like 12V steady-state with only a little headroom. But again, we come back to this idea of design philosophy for the application. Any circuit designed to handle anything from 1 to 256 volts with equal aplomb is obviously going to be extremely expensive and somewhat comprimised throughout.

Another critical point is the cutoff filters, and again, how these are made is a matter of particulars. There is no such thing as a perfect filter, and it's up to the designer to decide what kinds of signal and application to design for, and up to the construction to determine how well the actual filter achieves the design goals.

Obviously clock stability is of paramount importance, and while a stable clock source is not very expensive or difficult to achieve in and of itself, the circuit that delivers the clock to the AD is as susceptible to noise and interference as any, so again you come back to the particular design and construction of the overall device. Moreover the PLL circuit to synch to external clock is typically somewhat independent of the internal clock circuit, so again, the "ideal" may be somewhat application-dependent.

And then you have all the stuff like error correction or oversampling or whatever that may or may not be present, and where it is, it is usually a matter of tolerating small comprimises in signal purity to avoid larger potential problems. Whether that is a good or bad thing and to what degree is a matter of real-world practice and implementatiton.

The good news is that even fairly inexpensive converters tend to perform extremely well for everyday sound quality in sensible real-world use. So if you are buying super-premium converters you are typically looking at stuff well above the price-performance knee and we're talking about fairly fine and subtle distinctions that may not even be audible "differences" to most listeners.

Something that is often easy for hobbyists to lose sight of is that mission-critical professional tools including studio gear are often made to be "better than perfect," because professionals are willing to pay a premium for certainty that may not necessarily translate into a meaningful real-world improvement in the end result.

Cheers.
    AudioInsanity
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: What makes a good Analog/Digital Converter 2007/11/22 10:27:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick responses....got crazy busy at work and couldn’t respond sooner.

That does help. I can see how the many different considerations that go into design can affect outcome of the product, not to mention the clock design also. That is what I was looking for, answer wise that is. I wasn’t sure if there were some good broad "specs" that help weed through some of the weaker converters or not.

It sounds like what is being said here is design and ear really work more hand in hand here when it comes to final preferences vs. "specs" for the home studio. Since obviously it isn’t really possible to know all the design factors that go into creation, I think ear and some signal analysis would come into play.

Pretty much for the home studio setup it sounds like it all boils down to if one is happy with the final sound. With a little analysis of front end analog signal vs. the trueness to digital capture (and yes there can be much that affects this also) it should be pretty easy to evaluate the converters I have.

That is cool, that helps....sounds like that could be something that could really take a while to get up to curve on when it comes into looking at an "upgrade" so to say. I can see how even some of the design and differences could not even be noticeable also because of subtly.

I've got a pretty good sound that I am happy with when it comes to A/D conversion so I guess I should rest in that. If I get to a point where I want to upgrade I'll have to spend some good time in the reading department hehe.

Anyhow...Thanks a ton ohhey and yep. That did help guide me in the right direction.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1