What other DAW is closest to SPLAT?

Author
Bluegrasser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2017/11/29 03:33:20 (permalink)

What other DAW is closest to SPLAT?

If price was not a consideration up to $800.

8 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 04:34:39 (permalink)
    It depends on which part of SONAR Platinum were most important to you. For example if you didn't use MIDI much, then you wouldn't care if one program had a better MIDI implementation than another.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    JohanSebatianGremlin
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 05:35:29 (permalink)
    Welp here's my requirements. My MIDI/Audio ratio is probably 85/15 on average so I need good implementation of both. Definitely need a decent PRV for MIDI editing. Also want intuitive clips handling and something reminiscent of an old school style signal path/mixing environment. My projects can get pretty heavy on the plugins (both synth and effects) so the ability to freeze tracks is also important.

Appreciate any suggestions from those in the know.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
    Leee
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 09:40:44 (permalink)
    JohanSebatianGremlin
    Welp here's my requirements. My MIDI/Audio ratio is probably 85/15 on average so I need good implementation of both. Definitely need a decent PRV for MIDI editing. Also want intuitive clips handling and something reminiscent of an old school style signal path/mixing environment. My projects can get pretty heavy on the plugins (both synth and effects) so the ability to freeze tracks is also important.

I may not be "in the know" as much as other people here, but I've spent the last couple of days downloading and trying out all the DAW trials I can find.
    And to make this brief, for me, the closest DAWS to Sonar (ie the one's I found most familiar) are Studio One, MixCraft, and (just downloaded today) Mixbus4.   Mixbus4 has the nicest user interface, and seems the most professional and has some great built in features.  Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to set it up properly so it works with my computer.  I can't seem to get any sound out of it.   The first two I had no problems in getting started.

But as mentioned before, everyone has different expectations and needs for their DAWs.  Just do what I did, download a bunch of trial versions and see which ones are the best fit for you.  And the special offers from various companies to Cakewalk users are a nice incentive too.
    I'm mostly like you, I use my DAW for mostly MIDI inputs (VST plugins), and only use audio tracks for vocals.  But all of the major DAW programs can accommodate various user types.  Some have better features than others. 
    The only DAW I did not like at all was MOTU's Digital Performer, and that was because the font size on the UI, was tiny.  You'd need a magnifying lens to read the text!

Lee Shapiro
    www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 10:17:29 (permalink)
    JohanSebatianGremlin

Well - In my personal opinion Cubase Pro comes most close to what you want. However, as a (now mostly fulltime) user myself I cannot count out some prejudiced vision.

It is possible that Reaper is also doing what you need. I used Reaper just a short time, because it misses a lot of things I got used to in Cubase, so I cannot honestly give good advise about that program here.

If you are really heavy on MIDI then maybe Bitwig (or less likely Ableton Live) is something. I don't know if it meets your routing demands though. FL-Studio has a really great piano roll, but I think it also will get some problems with your routing demands.

Other programs are just not as strong in the MIDI department. I would not count them out, but I also cannot strongly recommend them.

I hope this helps a bit.
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 10:24:58 (permalink)
    I also think that Cubase Pro 9.5 is nearest to SONAR. There is a crossgrade price for 285.- Euro.
    Cubase has a lot of functions in audio and MIDI, so as SONAR.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    musichoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 811
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 13:44:29 (permalink)
    I am in the similar midi/audio ratio with you and I use studio one. Hope that helps.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 14:03:10 (permalink)
    In terms of features, flexibility, and robustness for both audio and midi, Cubase is closest to Sonar.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Bluegrasser
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: What other DAW is closest to SPLAT? 2017/11/29 20:32:06 (permalink)
    Thanks All. I am leaning toward Cubase.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1