What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version?

Author
bamim2
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2013/10/12 06:24:38 (permalink)

What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version?

I already own way too much Cakewalk stuff. I should probably own the company by now & every time I buy something I tell myself I'm not going to get the next upgrade. I've said for years that upgrade prices should be based on how much company stuff each user already owns. If the user owns 1 piece of software, that user gets a small discount. If the user owns 10 pieces of software, that user SHOULD get a substantial discount in their upgrade.

OK, I'm stepping down from my soapbox & getting to the point....
That said, I've owned Cakewalk since it ran in DOS, owned about 90% of the versions of Pro Audio, owned every version of Sonar Producer from 2.2 to 8.5 (including 8), X1 & X2. Now I'm considering upgrading to X3.

Would someone please be so kind as to tell me which pieces of additional software that comes with X3 Producer will ONLY run in X3, which ones will work with any Windows DAW & which ones also have OSX versions?

I know that the version of TH2 that comes with X2 ONLY works with X2 & doesn't even work in X1, where as True Piano ONLY works in Sonar, but it works with ALL versions of Sonar & Dim Pro & Rapture also come with OSX versions. Do the AAS Session VSTi also come with OSX VSTi/AU? or are they just Windows or even JUST X3 versions?

Since I use Win XP & OSX Snow Leopard systems in my studio, in addition to Win 7 Pro 64-bit, so being able to use some of the software in other places would really help.

Man, it's too bad I'm not getting paid by the word here. Sorry for all the rambling, but I wanted to make sure I put enough info in here that nobody would understand my questions or that they would misunderstand what I'm asking. Of course, I also had to do a little preaching there at the beginning...

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this & reply.
jscomposer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re: What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version? 2013/10/12 12:56:12 (permalink)
Why not just keep things simple and run everything from a PC (or multiple PC's)?
mmorgan
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version? 2013/10/12 13:11:04 (permalink)
Speaking strictly about the new add-ins for X3:

I've opened up Addictive Drums and the Strum Acoustic Session in other DAWs. The Nomad Factory stuff is only licensed for Sonar X3 and above. Anything for the Pro Channel will not load but IIRC the CA-2A us available for use.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version? 2013/10/12 14:56:05 (permalink)
bamim2
I already own way too much Cakewalk stuff. I should probably own the company by now & every time I buy something I tell myself I'm not going to get the next upgrade. I've said for years that upgrade prices should be based on how much company stuff each user already owns. If the user owns 1 piece of software, that user gets a small discount. If the user owns 10 pieces of software, that user SHOULD get a substantial discount in their upgrade.

So we should have 50 different variations of our upgrading pricing? That sounds pretty messy. Why don't you look at in another way. The upgrading pricing takes into account that some users have some of the new plugins. So don't look at it like a base price of $149 and then for every instrument you have, you deduct the retail price off of it. If that was the case, we'd end up owing you money :)

Instead, take a look at the entire value proposition. What would Addictive Drums cost you? Melodyne Essential? ARA integration? Gobbler? Blue Tubes? Quad Curve EQ Zoom? Tape Emulation? Start adding that all up. Even if you have a few of those things, you need to decide if the $149 is worth it for you. It's that simple. 

And of course that doesn't include the core workflow features we've included at all. So again, I think you are going about it the wrong way. $149 is an amazing price for all you get. It's all an amazing price if you have a few of the pieces. Ultimately you need to decide how much it's worth for you but the reduced price we offer is a total value.

Just my opinion :)
Photo_G
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version? 2013/10/12 15:20:05 (permalink)
+100  ^^^^

SONAR Platinum (FOREVER!), 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 32GB RAM, M-Audio USB interface, Yamaha KX8 keyboard
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version? 2013/10/12 18:13:35 (permalink)
+10000000000000000000000000000000!
You said it very well, Andrew...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: What software in X3 Pro will work outside of X3 & what also comes with an OSX version? 2013/10/12 18:38:28 (permalink)
I think the only satisfactory answer that would seem to appease questions like this is "we will give you all upgrades free".  I doubt I can put it any better than Andrew did.  I will toss in the fact that most of the licensing deals that tie the software to the DAW tend to come from the vendor doing the licensing and often accounts for the price.  A well know example of that in action is the Ozone version in both Audition and Soundforge.  They are locked in and they don't even offer discounts for upgrade .  Intially SOund Forge was accidently released with the plugins unlocked but Izotope wasn't having it and a patch was released shortly thereafter.  I consider myself lucky when those things are not locked, but don't sweat it if they are.  The only Cakewalk plyugins I expect not to be locked are the ones purchased separately like Z3ta+2.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1