What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support".

Author
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
2012/03/06 06:15:49 (permalink)

What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support".

Hi guys,

been using Acronis for a year now, and since the 2012 release it just doesn't want to work anymore. Any attempts to contact them has been futile.

So, since I'm willing to pay for it (within reason!), what software is 100% decent and userfriendly? Freeware also welcome, as long as it does what it says :O)

Thanks for the input!

Ludwig

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

17 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/06 06:28:11 (permalink)
    What cloning problems do you have?  I've cloned my Windows 7 hard drive to a new drive with Acronis 2012 and didn't have any problems.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    LJB
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/06 06:39:38 (permalink)
    It cycles through the source and target menus, and eventually just gives a pop-up message that says process can not be completed. Target HDD is the same size as C drive..

--------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/06 07:21:09 (permalink)
    How much is there spare space on the HDD? I guess that if defragging  requires a minimum of something like 10-15% of free space, cloning would require more. But as said, I'm only guessing, and might be totally wrong. 

I recently cloned three HDDs with Acronis (older version, though) without problems, but I moved from 250 Gb HDDs to 500 Gb, so there was no space issues.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/06 07:44:11 (permalink)
    reformat the target drive and see if that helps.  I reformatted my hard drive before doing the cloing procedure.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/06 22:36:23 (permalink)
    Hey Ludwig,

I've been an avid Acronis user for a long time. The newest version does an online activation they don't tell you about, one license one computer limit. Screw them from here out. They offer a no brainer after the fact to fork out 20 more bucks to use on 2 more computers. They invade to disable any second computer.

Note for users, they allow a trial and a continuation of restore functions after the trial is disabled. Means that a boot disc you may elect to create can't be disabled. 

Anyone doing a clone operation should be proceeding with a boot disc below the windows interference anyway. The 2012 Acronis boot disc works well forever as long as they got CD drives. Thanks guys.

There is a good replacement however. It is elegant, moral and free. I've tested it under acid conditions and it works solid. EaseUS Todo. Also check out EaseUS Partition Master. These are free and do a bit per bit clone of your drive. EaseUS initiates the clone process from inside windows which makes me uneasy even if it works. You can create a solid boot disc and clone from there beneath windows. For cloning, Acronis is cool but not needed.

Download and install EaseUS Todo backup. This will safely do what you need without spending on software that now imposes invasive activation monitoring.

http://www.todo-backup.co...ee-backup-software.htm/

John K

and again, thank you to Cakewalk for doing a simple serial and non-restrictive response activation. Just for the hell of it, it took less than 5 minutes to grab a crack for the Acronis software I paid for. I won't use it, because Acronis has the right to strangle whatever they make. Just to prove to myself I could install the thing on a million computers and what a waste these protection schemes are. I also got the right to move on to better options. EaseUS will cover your bases.
    post edited by JohnKenn - 2012/03/07 21:18:56
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/07 02:06:07 (permalink)
    I use this one.

http://www.disk-image.com/order.htm

I just use it from a bootable CD it's not even installed on the computer anymore.  I run a dual (W7/XP) boot and it takes about 10 minutes to image my two OS partitions and I can restore one or the other or both if necessary in a similar amount of time.

I've had to take recourse to use the images a few times and everything works flawlessly after a restore.

Simple quick and effective.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    LJB
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/07 14:41:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads-up John K, I'm heading over there now!

--------------------
    Cakewalk

JohnKenn
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/07 21:31:34 (permalink)
    Ludwig,

You're welcome, and have to apologize for the rude and crude bash on Acronis, but they have angered others by the hidden switch to single computer activation and the email asking for more money to license other single computers.

You would not lose out by downloading the Acronis 2012 trial and cutting a boot disc or two before the trial expires. They allow you to do this under the terms of the trial.

The Acronis boot disc is nearly the full program running beneath Windows and it does have the add drive function which is probably in EaseUS but I haven't found it yet (and may not be needed in EaseUS).

EaseUS rocks and the partition software is a great tool for creating partitions and keeping an eye on free space left.

Best,

John K

Jonbuoy, thanks for your tip also
    Jonbouy
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 00:15:56 (permalink)

Jonbuoy, thanks for your tip also

Yes, John it's the same thing you mention is true with the solution I use too.

I just use the boot disk for these kinds of operations I don't even use the main product and removed it from my hard disk awhile back, my boot disk is a few years old now and works flawlessly.

I totally agree that these things should be done below the OS whichever product gets chosen to do the job.

I also share your views about software companies that are arrogant enough to believe they can override your express wishes on your own machine just because you installed a product of theirs on your system.

There seem to be plenty of those these days not to single out one of them.

For every 'must have' software app. that behaves badly this way there is an alternative that plays nicely.

In fact just today I've had to re-deploy a recent image, not because I've been lurking in some seedy corner of the internet, not because I've been trying out pirated software, but because a 'respectable' supplier isn't being transparent about what gets installed with their product which is covered here in pretty much the next thread.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2510301

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/03/08 00:33:00

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 00:30:03 (permalink)
    Hi there LJB. I had a C drive making a very bad noise and needed to clone it quickly beofre it died. I used Acronis but did a direct C drive to new drive clone. I removed my D Drive (Audio) and put a new drive in there.

I went through the setting for a direct clone from one drive to the other, no image. You set it up this way and start and your computer shuts down and reboots. It does not even boot into windows. Straight after the bios it goes into Acronis mode and takes over your computer and clones the entire drive.

After that you put the new cloned drive into C, take out old C and put audio drive back into D position. Everything booted up and worked normally.

I have got hundreds of programs and plugins and everything totally worked, windows included. I only had re authorise 2 plugins and Studio One for some reason. Everything else including everything Sonar worked exactly the same as before.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    AcronisCustomerCentral
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 07:17:40 (permalink)
    Hello Ludwig, My name is Yana, and I'm writing you on behalf of Acronis Customer Central. I'm sincerely sorry for any inconvenience you've faced with support and the product. One of the reasons for such behavior is errors on one of the drives. I'd suggest you to run chkdsk /f /r on both drives, and trying again. If it doesn't help, shot, don't hesitate to contact me directly via Forum PM: http://forum.acronis.com/messages/new/76. I will entirely understand should you decide not to proceed with the investigation, but will be glad to assist should you decide to give it a shot. Hello JohnKenn, Actually according to the License Policy of Acronis Company you need 1 license per 1 computer you are going to backup or restore, and it was never different, so I assume there's been some misunderstanding. Using 1 license for restoring or backing up more than 1 computer is illegal. But online activation was designed for activating the trial installation instead of reinstalling the whole software, which is less convenient. From now on there's one installer with the built-in activator, which registeres the full license. Which allows to use the product without any trial limitations. Please accept our apologies if this change caused any confusion. Please let us know if you have any additional questions, we will be glad to help you. If you're out of 30-days-after purchase support, you can leave us a comment on our Forum: http://forum.acronis.com/, - any time you like. Thank you for understanding and patience. Regards, Yana
    Jonbouy
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 08:49:03 (permalink)
    Well that's some admirable interaction at least ACC (Yana), nice to see.

Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 09:05:16 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Well that's some admirable interaction at least ACC (Yana), nice to see.

And does it also mean people OUTSIDE of our little hive read these forums? or did he do a search and this tread popped up? interesting, either way.

I havent used my Acronis in a while, I was going to search  for  and perform any updates on it soon,
    I know the licensing was a brief PITA for me in that I have a poaid full icense version that had lost its authorization.

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 20:27:44 (permalink)
    not really MM, just means it's searchable via t'internet :)

I have 2 products by Acronis..  true image has been fine, 

but the other one hard drive manager didn't do what was advertised and actually caused me no end of issues with vista install!! AND worse they didn't honour their "30 money back guarantee" . the "rep" I spoke to ages ago about it couldn't care less and had the "oh we got your money, who cares" type attitude.

I use true image 2011.. with various success and am happy enough with it.

I also used http://www.paragon-software.com/

a very old version I had off a magazine. thats been pretty good also on a very old machine that I use for cloning drives when need be.

LJB do you get PC magazines there with cover disks ? you should keep an eye out as sometimes they give out backup software thats not exactly the latest version but decent.

JohnKenn
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/08 21:48:58 (permalink)
    Friends, Yana,

Hope all are well.

Yana, thanks for replying. I can take my gripe directly to you and the company.

My concern is not that you have adopted the activation scheme but that you didn't make it known to those upgrading. If you are searching forums, you know there are a lot of people out there far more upset than I am about not being up front about the "new" licensing.

Activation is like hardware dongles. Some love, some hate, some indifferent and accept as a necessary evil.

I've been with Acronis from the start, paying for every upgrade but 2012 is my last. There are excellent programs available that do what Acronis does for free without the activation invasion.

Reaction to company controlled activation is likely influenced by past experiences. I tinker and crash a lot of computers and have been dragged through degrading hell on many occasions, having to beg and convince some company that I'm not stealing their software and worthy of another activation. I've had companies either go out from under me or even change policies and shut down activation centers. I have a good bit of cash invested in software that is now useless because it can't be transferred.

Some time ago, the absurd impact of the activation disgrace hit home hard. Please share this with your company.

A beautiful west African couple had saved for 2 years to come to the US for a 3 day recording session. The couple were respected poets and musicians in their culture. The husband brought a shipment of rare ethnic instruments that he wanted to record. We had a tight but upbeat schedule planned to get the material recorded.

Unfortunately we used a recording software with one computer one activation. A day into the session, the project expanded in a nice way getting more complex but using more CPU than originally anticipated. We had to move to a more powerful computer.

No problem though, online transfer available 24/7. We saved the session and did the transfer. The transfer froze for a half hour and we had to reboot. It did succeed in disabling the software but did not allow transfer to the second computer. Contacted the company who said they had to do a research project that would take several days.

The CD was never published and the couple went back to Africa with a hasty slop job. Vacation and plans ruined.

The company finished their investigation a week later and said they would allow me a one time only transfer, complete with a long email about the evils of software piracy.

That was it. Out of principle, I don't buy anything that needs more than a serial number unless I have a solid, virus-free crack or kegen to take my investment out of the hands of companies that can bring you down on a whim.

These activation schemes either directly punish the end user or have the capability to punish.

Are they effective. As stated, just for the irony of it, I downloaded multiple torrent files of full versions of Acronis 2012. All kinds of variants, some having registry entries to block invasion that would take the program out by Acronis. I deleted them except for one backup in case Acronis goes down or you change your mind.
    Again, this is an opinion and approach that is only as valid as the next person who says I'm completely wrong, sinner, etc.

While on this forum though, Acronis should take a look and learn from Sonar, one of the best known, respected, established programs on the planet. And it's not inexpensive. Serial activation only, when they could have also implemented a Fort Knox activation failure. Another minor point is that someone has to be paid for the activation development and setup. Cost for a miserable experience is passed on to the consumer.

If and when Acronis goes back to a serial number, I'll think of sending more cash for an upgrade. Until then, I'll stick with one license, one computer and keep the keygen stored safely in case I need it. Don't speak for everybody, but I'm not alone in this.

Thanks for listening.

John K
    pollostar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/09 06:11:20 (permalink)
    You can use Paragon's drive backup express software.This software is the easy solution to clone your hard drive.
    JohnKenn
    Re:What software is best to clone the C Drive? Fed-up with Acronis "support". 2012/03/10 16:36:19 (permalink)
    Friends,

Comparing Acronis and EaseUS, not considering Acronis cost and activation schemes. There is a powerful cloning feature in EaseUS that is absent in Acronis or at least not obvious (Correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t want to cut Acronis short out of my ignorance). Software choice a no brainer in favor of EaseUS if Acronis can’t pull this off. 

"Partition cloning” under the clone option on the EaseUS home screen.. 

Acronis is cool but clones the whole disc onto the target disc. There is some control over the size of the target partitioning but not the ability to take one partition from a source and clone to one partition on the destination disc. 

There may be some way to pull off selective partition to partition cloning with Acronis but haven’t found it yet if it exists.

This would be a working scenario. Say you have 300 GB archived software programs, project files somewhere. In addition  you have your computer’s C drive a couple bytes separated from a meltdown you hope will never happens.  Both need to be backed up. 

You get a 1 TB external drive from your friendly local Walmart. Use EaseUS Partition Master to set up two 500 GB partitions on the external drive. Label them X and Y or whatever doesn't interfere with established drive labels.

http://www.partition-tool...28uj3a4cfrgahwodt0fzoa/

Copy all your archived software, sessions etc to external partition Y. Use EaseUS Todo to clone the C drive to external partition X. 

http://www.todo-backup.co...ee-backup-software.htm/

This gets more miles out of an external drive and makes life/digital security easier. You can then update the software archive on Y but clone the C drive operating partition to X without wiping out your archive stash on Y every time you clone the operating drive.

Makes sense, I think… sorta makes sense…

Pollostar, appreciate the tip on Paragon. EaseUS does it all from here but can never have enough tools.

Peacefull stuff, creativivity, prosperity to all of you warriors,

John K

(cut and paste out of MS word don't work too well without editing out all the debris)
    post edited by JohnKenn - 2012/03/10 18:34:24
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1