What would you do in my situation? (nforce4 sli chipset)

Author
paulc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2005/06/11 02:32:35 (permalink)

What would you do in my situation? (nforce4 sli chipset)

Some of you may have seen (and contributed to) a recent thread of mine in which I asked for advice about sound cards (in particular, the suitability of the Delta 1010 for my purposes).

Well, I have finally decided after reading the advice of the helpful people on this forum that I am going to buy a more modern Firewire interface (perhaps Edirol) rather than a PCI-board based one. Mainly, because I am not keen on buying a seven year-old card (however good it is), but also because my budget has changed (gone up). 'Great' I think to myself, 'in no time, I'll have my recording setup up and running again!'

Now to the part which is making me very sad: :(

I have a quite new AMD-based system (3200+) which has an nforce4 sli chipset (w/ PCI-E and onboard TI Firewire). From what I have read, there are a lot of problems associated with this configuration, not helped by the fact that I have an Nvidia 6800 Ultra PCI-E bandwidth killer - yes, this was also meant to be a gaming system, but I didn't know then what I know now - that the newer PCI-E bus technology is problematic for audio recording. At least I had enough sense not to buy a Creative Audigy!

What would you do in my situation?

Obviously, I'm going to buy an interface and test it out - I'm not a power-user, so maybe my system will cope. But, assuming I have problems, what should I do? Buy a cheap low-end PCI-E video card and accept any performance hit? Resign myself to buying another (older) nforce3 / via chipset motherboard, which seems like a backward step? Hope for a motherboard firmware update? Wait for a newer PCI-E capable motherboard which works properly? This has really thrown a spanner in the works.

I think I'm in for some trouble as far as recording goes. Do you agree?

paulc.
post edited by paulc - 2005/06/11 02:42:21

2 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: What would you do in my situation? (nforce4 sli chipset) 2005/06/11 08:26:46 (permalink)
    Why don't you try it and see what happens? You can't just go by specs.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    paulc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: What would you do in my situation? (nforce4 sli chipset) 2005/06/13 01:49:43 (permalink)
    Hi daveny5,

I am definitely going to buy an audio interface and see how it works. According to one of the members of this forum though, most of the PCI-E motherboards (except for those with a Via-chipset?) regardless of brand, are hopeless for audio recording. Only one person has reported a workable system. In fact, I occasionally get popping and clicking during audio playback in some games w/ onboard sound - hopefully, that's because the Realtek AC97 sound chip is an el-cheapo piece of junk.

I will report my findings in any case, if only for others who are interested in the suitability of an nforce4 PCI-E system.

paulc.
    post edited by paulc - 2005/06/13 02:02:04
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1