What's in your wallet?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2017/04/18 01:22:55 (permalink)

What's in your wallet?

Paraphrasing a terrible commercial...Just curious - what plugins do you use most?

Over the years, I have been an admitted plug in junkie.  There were few things I saw advertised that I could not somehow justify buying.  

After rebuilding the various directories with the purchase of this most recent PC, I have found that there are lots of plugins I just do not use.  

BUT...
There are the indispensable ones.
UAD stuff - both as compressors, channel strips, eqs, amp sims...
THe Arturia bundle
AND
The Sound Toys bundle.

Curious - what are your go-to plugins?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

38 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 02:37:25 (permalink)
    Fabfilter for single-band compression, EQ, harmonic excitation and individual-track limiting. ValhallaDSP for reverbs. Tritik tkDelay for most delay needs, Timeless2 for the fancy stuff. iZotope Ozone for mastering. Meldaproduction for dynamic EQ and transient design. 

I have plenty of alternatives to all of these, and lots of special-case processors, but the above comprise the first-string team. I ceased being a collector maybe three years ago, when I realized I already had everything I need. Actually, three or five of everything I need.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    space_cowboy
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 02:52:23 (permalink)
    Agreed bit...mastering a few is better than being a novice at many.

That said I really enjoy arturia recreations of vintage instruments. Being a child of late 60s and early 70s music, their keys are great at capturing that vibe. The uad classics seem to work well with that era of instruments too. Or maybe it's because things like an LA2A are so simple a cave man can use them.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 02:54:22 (permalink)
    I do like the multi band stuff in the melda collection-like a delay on only the mid to upper frequencies. Ditto on chorus and the likes.

biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 06:18:09 (permalink)
    I hear what you are saying, as I used to be a bit of a gear junkie myself. My main go to items are Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillan and StylusRMX with a touch of ReFX Nexus now and again. For effects its straight down to Softube and UAD with some of the Cakewalk ProChannel modules. I do have one plugin that I just couldn't live without and that is Sonarworks Headphone Calibration plugin.

Forgot to add that I am in the process of reinstalling my operating system as I have made several hardware changes that has confused the O/S and will probably clear out my plugin folders to just those listed above.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 08:19:21 (permalink)
    EQ:FabFilter Pro Q2 and sometimes the Waves Pultecs for flavor. I don't think I've had another EQ open in a year now that I think of it.

Compression: FabFilter Pro C2, Waves RVox, Waves Fairchild, Cakewalk CA2A(!), Waves Kramer Pie, Native Instruments Solid Series bus comp (SSL type). I experiment with those a lot more.

Reverb: ValhallaDSP, Waves IR1, recently FabFilter Pro R. Sometimes something like RVerb or the reverb from the BlueTubes bundle when I need something lo fi sounding.

Delay: I guess I'm pretty basic with delays, I really like Waves H Delay and sometimes SuperTap. Was interested to hear about Tritik tkdelay, I'll check that out. Have used and liked Sound toys Echoboy, but I can't bring myself to get into the iLok thing. I used Sonitus a lot before H Delay and it did great for me, just really annoying to automate because you can't do left and right simultaneously (link is ignored when automating).

Modulation: I'll usually try lots because they can sound so different on different material. The BlueTubes chorus can be quite nice, I also try all pedals from my amp sims. Waves Enigma and MetaFlanger are cool.

Distortion/Saturation: Klanghelm SDRR often hits the spot, I recommend it. I love FabFilter Saturn. Recently got Trash 2 in a bundle and managed to find a use for it straight away. Waves Kramer Master Tape sometimes. And Waves NLS. I honestly don't really use it religiously like a console where I insert it on every track and bus, but it can give a nice interesting flavor on individual tracks and some of the variations between the modeled channel strips are actually quite big, it's worth stepping through them. I haven't had it for very long but I've found it much more useful than the Cake included console sims so far.

Multiband: FabFilter Pro MB takes care of most stuff. I guess Saturn counts as multiband. Sometimes Waves Vitamin if a source is really lacking something. Often I find I have to dial it back after I've set it though.

Guitar: SGear 2 mostly. I have a bunch of others but I guess the point of the thread is "where do you usually find yourself" and I often start and end up there.

Bass: Waves CLA Bass. I can't figure out what it does all the time but it often does exactly what I didn't know I needed. I'm not a fan of "black box" plugins but I'll admit I often struggle with bass so it really helps. Waves Bass Rider is a staple too.

Mastering: Ozone and Waves L2 for quick.

Special: Waves S1, Vocal Rider, Melodyne

If anything this thread shows that you can get decent results almost regardless of the tools.
    But it might also end up as a shopping list :)

Honestly I don't look at it as wasted money, having way more plugins than I use most of the time. For me, I learn a lot for instance about the sound and functionality of "compressor A" because I also have "B through Z" to compare to. It makes me a lot surer that I picked the right one, and it helps me decide the next time which one might work well for a given source. And sometimes something you almost never use turns out to be the solution to a specific thing.
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 09:31:38 (permalink)
    Aside from the family favourites already listed, I think Waves SSL 4000 deserves mention. It's compression is still the plugin I believe behaves most like an analogue compressor. Love that thing:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 12:49:46 (permalink)
    I tend to use the BReverb that came with Cakewalk.
    Other than that, my go-to's are the T-Racks Classic Series and Waves' Eddie Kramer effects.  And for vocals, Waves' Vocal Rider gets used every time.  

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    savoy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:20:19 (permalink)
    sonitus & tonebooster fx
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:24:57 (permalink)
    Soon to be on every song I produce, but not necessarily a plug-in per se, is Mixbus 32c V4. I call this my "console".

But, before that, I'd say my recording/production go-to plugs are:
    Fabfilter Q2, L and C.
    Sonitus Compressor
    UAD (top tier is Helios, SSL)
    BOZ Manic Compressor
    Slate VMR
    Slate's VerbSuite
    ReLab's LX-480
    Kontakt

Mastering:
    Ozone 7 Advanced (for the pop oriented stuff)
    IK's Lurrsen Mastering Console (for the hard rock stuff)
    Slate's FG-X (for the metal stuff)

Like you Maurice I have a boat load of stuff that I use from time to time but the above list is generally on most every project somewhere.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:37:43 (permalink)
    I try to use the minimal number of plug-ins possible...so when it comes to processors, I'm boring. I mostly use the Cakewalk plugs. The L-Phase processors (especially M/S), CA-2A, and QuadCurve rock my world and with dynamics and EQ covered, I don't need much else. I use ReMatrix solo with my own impulses to get the reverb sound I want, and the only amps I use these days are the CA-X ones. I like Amplitube too, but use it only rarely. For modulation effects, delay, etc., the Sonitus stuff still rules for me. 

One huge exception is the Waves L3 Multimaximizer, that plug-in is a work of art and it's on every master I do. I also use the UA plugs (which are excellent) from time to time.

As to instruments, the most instances in my projects are Rapture Pro, then Kontakt, then various Arturia goodies. I use acoustic drum loops but when I need electronic drums, use Session Drummer and Battery.

I think a lot of the CW plug-ins are underappreciated. For example the ProChannel Tube distortion is incredible for bass and drums, much better than other saturation plug-ins I've used because of the two different modes. The QuadCurve is great as long as I choose the right curve. Of course there are a zillion other fantastic plug-ins, but for me, the impact of most tracks is 85% the recording/editing and 15% the processing, with the exception of my vocals which are more like 50-50.

However...after going through a phase of guitar-oriented projects, my next project is going to go back to my EDM roots from 20 years ago. So I'll probably be going plug-in crazy. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    bapu
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:42:57 (permalink)
    Speaking of vocals, gotta give love to Melodyne and/or Revoice Pro 3.3.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:43:18 (permalink)
    what's the difference between hard rock and metal?

eq: dmg equick
    compression: fabfilter pro-c
    reverb: 112db reverb
    limiter: wavearts finalplug
    guitar: s-gear
    delay: no goto here

just a sec

bapu
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:45:46 (permalink)
    pwalpwal

That's a subjective question I'll never answer for the obvious reason that I know what it means to me and that may not mean the same to you.
    pwalpwal
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 15:57:23 (permalink)
    bapu
    pwalpwal

That's a subjective question I'll never answer for the obvious reason that I know what it means to me and that may not mean the same to you.

it may seem like a setup but it was a genuine question
    hereabouts, i'd say, say, led zep or sabbath are hard rock and metallica are metal? but that gives away my total lack of thing thereabouts, is it just an age thing?

just a sec

bapu
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 16:14:45 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    it may seem like a setup but it was a genuine question
    hereabouts, i'd say, say, led zep or sabbath are hard rock and metallica are metal? but that gives away my total lack of thing thereabouts, is it just an age thing?

Close enough for jazz (as the saying goes).
    pwalpwal
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 16:55:57 (permalink)
    i thought "jazz" was the genre for things that didn't fit any other genres? i don't do jazz, at least not knowingly

just a sec

Amicus717
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 17:06:00 (permalink)
    I use minimal plug-ins, usually. By far the most common one is Exponential Audio's Nimbus reverb. It's my goto verb, and is in virtually every project I do. Others that see moderate use: Valhalla's Shimmer, BlueTubes Tempo Delay (which I really like on cinematic pianos and similar), and some of Cakewalk's plugins (including the Sonitus stuff, which I still find useful even after so many years). Occasionally, I'll call up the T-Racks compressors, but not often. I do use the Waves Stereo Imager from time to time.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 17:11:02 (permalink)
    Because I'm currently bouncing between 2 locations, I stick mostly with the Sonitus plugs and Pro Channel EQ. The only thing I have added to both locations is Izotope Nectar 2. I use that because it very quickly gets me in the ball park to test ideas. Mastering is still done by a 3rd party so I focus on getting the best tracks possible, mix it and let somebody else do the final tweaking.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    bapu
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 17:47:01 (permalink)

What's in your wallet?

Very little cash after all the VSTs I've purchased.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 17:57:22 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    The only thing I have added to both locations is Izotope Nectar 2. I use that because it very quickly gets me in the ball park to test ideas.

Can you elaborate? I know Nectar emphasizes the presets they include. By "getting you in the ball park to test ideas" does that mean the presets get you close and then you tweak them? Or that you use it to get you close, but then you use something else for the final version?

The reason why I'm asking should probably be a separate thread, so I'll start it.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    pwalpwal
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 18:31:25 (permalink)
    bapu
    Very little cash after all the VSTs I've purchased.

just a sec

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 18:45:07 (permalink)
    I too use mostly Cake plugs, but for most recordings "pre-treat" it with hardware EQ/Comps (the stuff I already know how it is supposed to sound).

On the ProChannel I almost always use the EQ and mostly the 76 on tracks.  I'll sub Softube's EQ Focusing EQ for lead stuff sometimes and the CA2a from cake for alternate comp.  For busses I can't recommend Cakes SSL enough.  One of the few software units I like as much as the hardware.

REmatrix for most lead instruments (the full version), tho I'll use TSAr too (love dialing in the pre-delay with the big fader).

Instruments - Kontakt/Heavyocity, Rap Pro, Alchemy.

I Keep it simple since I am stupid.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    LLyons
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 20:19:38 (permalink)
    I pretty much echo the Cakewalk plug ins.  Getting the mix right (to my silly ears anyway) first.  While I really believe most of what I go for are Platinum tools first, my extra plugin toolbox sets are...

Waves.   I started with one of the basic sets, then I just kept buying them individually when 1 - I wanted to try something different and 2 - had a few dollars to spend.   Started with the maximizers through L3-16 then went to bass enhancement,  then vocal enhancement, then verbs, then liner phase tools (before we had the two sweet LP tools).  The one tool I use the most is that C6 - it finds its way into spots where I can't seem to EQ well enough, which is about every time I work on trying to get bass and bass drum to fit in the mix..  I believe I have everything I want for now.  Little bit at a time, when I was ready and had time to learn.  Especially around the winter holiday season, they had some pretty nice deals.

Next up for purchase is Ozone 7 advanced.   I like the idea that I can use the effects on channels AND when mastering, I can 'hear' through codecs.  There's more in there, those kind of come to the top for me.   

An honorable mention goes to all the freeware out there.  MeldaProductions comes to mind formost.  Their audio visualization tools like Manalyzer, MLoudnessAnalyzer, MStereoScope find a spot on the Master buss almost every mix.  

Current wallet outgo is for a different kind of plugin - mics  (you gotta plug them in don't you??).    :o)    It wasn't until I tried a few really good mics that I found what I was trying to tweek for, but could never seem to achieve.

Come to think of it - I also find myself reaching for the MOTU hardware plugin stuff too.  Its actually quite good.  

Take care

LL

L Lyons 
    DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
    Home Built Machine
    32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
    Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
    Limited connection to internet
    DAW use ONLY
    WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
    MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
    MOTU AVB Switch
    Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
    CS18ai - Connect AVB
    forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 20:34:41 (permalink)
    Anderton
    However...after going through a phase of guitar-oriented projects, my next project is going to go back to my EDM roots from 20 years ago. So I'll probably be going plug-in crazy. 

Oh my, you're going to do 90s era EDM?  Cool!

If/when you get to this project and if you can, would you consider releasing the stems and let folks have a go at doing a remix?  Maybe even a contest?

Back on topic, I like pretty much everything FabFilter.  Also use CamelPhat quite a bit.  NI's Driver and Transient Shaper.  For synths, Sylenth, Synthmaster, and Zeta+2.
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 20:58:33 (permalink)
    Anderton
    ampfixer
    The only thing I have added to both locations is Izotope Nectar 2. I use that because it very quickly gets me in the ball park to test ideas.

Can you elaborate? I know Nectar emphasizes the presets they include. By "getting you in the ball park to test ideas" does that mean the presets get you close and then you tweak them? Or that you use it to get you close, but then you use something else for the final version?

The reason why I'm asking should probably be a separate thread, so I'll start it.

The presets are very good. With my lack of experience I'm not afraid to let the pro's make suggestions as to what effects I might need for a given job or application. After I see what the preset suggests, then I can experiment and see how they affect the track. Sometimes a preset is great as is, but other times I may elect to shut off the built in effect and replace it with a stand alone that I'm more familiar with. For example, let's say the preset uses a saturation effect but I don't know it well. I'll shut off the internal saturation and add the Pro Channel tube saturator that I am more familiar with. 

If it wasn't for trying the preset I might have never thought to use saturation on the track. I educate myself by seeing what a third party thinks would be useful. Make sense?

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    TPayton
    • Total Posts : 178
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 21:58:58 (permalink)
    In addition to the Plug-ins included with Sonar Plat:

I have almost all of the Plugs currently available from Izotope. And a good percentage of those offered by the Plug-in Alliance.  Also reverbs from Valhalla, Overloud and Rob Papen. And some other odds and ends that don't come to mind immediately. Apparently I never met a special offer I didn't like.

But honestly almost everything I use could be replaced very nicely by what is included in Sonar. I am going through the process of whittling down to a smaller set of go to plugs, because it is exhausting going through so many all of the time. Especially when many of them give such similar results.

But what I really love is tweaking with plug-ins for an hour or so, and then hitting the global FX bypass button only to find that the mix sounds better with NO plugs.  Or admiring the difference my subtle handiwork with an EQ has made, and then finding that the bypass button is engaged.  

Tom
    Westside Steve Simmons
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/18 22:21:00 (permalink)
    Izotope Nectar 2.
    Oh and Sonitus.
    Westside Steve
    Beepster
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 00:15:52 (permalink)
    An unopened condom from 1962... which is a little strange since I was born in '77.

Fer serios answer: The only plugins I own/use are the ones have come with SONAR X1 Prod Suite up through SPlat and these VERY few extras...

GR5 (but I upgraded that from the GR4 I got with X1)
    TH2 (again upgraded from TH2 Producer)
    CA2A
    Concrete Limiter

and not that it would count for this discussion but I got BFD Eco back when Sonar's best drumpler was SD3.

I mostly use Prochannel effects and only start adding other "insert" stuff (like Sonitus/Blue Tubes/Cakewalk) when I need to do something specific. Of course my amp sims get used constantly as well but often times tend to be the only insert plugins in my projects these days. Everything else is PC.

Not wanting (or being able to afford) to drop ridiculous amounts of cash on necessary tools was one of the bigger reasons I chose Sonar. It seemed to have everything I could ever need for any tune and I busted my butt learning them all so I could operate without dropping cash for "MUST HAVE" third party doodads and/or be a sad Beepswad.
    The Grim
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 06:37:17 (permalink)
    pwalpwal

that would be similar to how i see it, i have seen (heard) toni iommi say a number of times that he doesn't see black sabbath as heavy metal as such, but sees it more so as hard rock/heavy blues type of thing
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1