Helpful ReplyWhats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!

Author
FemcanLana
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2017/03/16 18:38:09 (permalink)

Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!

First just a little about me! Sorry for the novel!

I am a long time lurker and this is my first post! I am the type to learn things myself first then ask dumb questions lol

I went from Acid pro 7 to Studio one "upgraded to artist" and reaper "never upgraded past the demo with reaper and Sonar x3 "I upgraded to lifetime platinum after awhile".

I wanted to switch because I felt limited with sony pro but had no idea what to switch to. Sonar ended up winning and I am glad!

For some reason Sonar was always easier. So I stuck with it then upgraded to lifetime Platinum. I love sonar and everything is laid out perfectly for me. 

I joined groove3 and studied and I also go on Youtube and study! My only complaint I have is no new YouTube Cakewalk videos on the official channel for learning new stuff :(

Now for the question! Its about mixing music! I should explain what stage I am first lol I am in a metal band and mix a full session! Drums. bass, guitars, keyboards "sometimes" and vocals. Sometimes we end up with 70 stems

Just FYI to get to the point below it took me awhile plus every song I force myself to explore 1 new thing and I dont know what to do next. Which is why I am writing all of this!

So far I get everything organized before I even start! Colour coded and named plus in order! Kick, bass, snare etc I will start a thread on my mixing order next. Id like to know yours

I do a quick balance of everything etc Kick up the middle. overheads L/R etc

I gate any tracks with noise

I also try to have intro and verses in mono and then switch to stereo and spread things L/R when needed in stereo during Chorus's. It would take a whole thread to explain this in detail. Those that do it know what I mean. I also raise some tracks a little with automation during Chorus's

I make mix buses and direct all the drums to one. Guitars to one, vox to one etc Mostly to be able to turn the whole group down at once. Doing track by track is a big pain and sooo time consuming! Plus its nice to add a little reverb etc on a group bus

I start with the kick and have everything muted then the bass guitar and have those 2 play and then everything muted while I mix the song. Then snare etc. The point is I never mix in solo. I sometimes solo stems just to check on things but I have found that a stem can sound like garbage alone but for some reason sound INCREDIBLE within the mix.

Sometimes I start with the overheads btw and then mix single drums in. Both work out great

I also decide which will have the bottom end. The Kick or bass. I also always EQ first. Then compression if needed Then I always go back and add a touch of saturation on the kick, bass, snare etc . I dont touch the vocals till after the music is mixed.  Not sure if thats the right thing to do. Then I add reverb on certain things. Just a touch. 

I always start from the beginning of the song to be sure there is a constant flow. I sometimes do the repeat option "I forget whats ts called" If I get stuck on a part then start from the beginning and mix while the song plays.

I guess I am supposed to start at the chorus but I never do

Then I explore effects and automation! I recently discovered the snowflake thing for when the computer lags. A lifesaver

I am now exploring parallel compression. Which is sort of confusing. For example I have a bass guitar stem then I clone it and on the 2nd stem I turn the a compressor or limiter all the way up with the stem turned down then slowly turn up to blend. I also tried with the tape compressor thing and it works pretty good. I still have a ton to learn here

I force myself to review how to do things on every mix! For example kick EQ tips etc to see if I am missing something. I sometimes force myself to completely start over!

I dont master our music. I run it through landr or emastered just to get an idea on how things sound then I send over to a guy on fiverr and he charges $35 a song to master it.

Which isnt to bad. Anyone needing mastering practice email me and you can try our stuff ;) Its metal music with violent lyrics btw so if you dont like that stuff then dont ask me. Just a fair warning

To spend so much time on a mix then put it through landr and then release just seems silly to me! We have a fan base that buys are music and it seems insulting to do it that way.

Not to contradict myself but I discovered MajorDecibel this week and its amazing. I didnt post a link because I didnt want to seem spammy. Use google if you want to

After using sonar platinum for almost a year I decided to open Studio one this week and spent 2mins on it and shut it back down. I just love sonar to much and I still have to much to learn to try a different DAW at this point! I just thought maybe using something different would spark something new to learn with mixing. I was wrong!

Now for the question!

What should I explore next in mixing?

If you have questions please ask and any advice would be extremely appreciated! If you want to hear one of our songs message me.

PS. Thank you sonar for being so awesome ;)

Elitebook 2540p 4gigs Steinberg CL1 Shure SM7b AKG 240 MKII Headphones

Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 18:51:54 (permalink)
Hi, and welcome to this forum. That's a long first post, with lots of info 
As a next step, perhaps check out side-chaining. Make the bass duck (a little) when the bass drum hits is an example.
Maybe automate eq, delays etc.
Others will have plenty more.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Zargg
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 18:53:20 (permalink)
As to your signature, put PC specs (CPU, RAM HD / SSD etc), Audio Interface, MIDI Interface etc.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

FemcanLana
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 18:59:38 (permalink)
@Zargg Thank you and sorry! I felt the need to explain in detail were exactly I am in the process lol

Ducking with gate or compression or both? I have explored this a little and I will do it on the next track as my new thing to learn. Thank you again ;) I believe this is known sometimes as the radio station technique or something?

"Maybe automate eq, delays etc."
I have never ever attempted this but have seen it as an option when automating pan and gain! Id love more info or links if you have any. Any advice from anyone would be Incredible!

FemcanLana
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 19:09:52 (permalink)
@Zargg Added

Zargg
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 19:18:37 (permalink)
FemcanLana
@Zargg Thank you and sorry! I felt the need to explain in detail were exactly I am in the process lol

Ducking with gate or compression or both? I have explored this a little and I will do it on the next track as my new thing to learn. Thank you again ;) I believe this is known sometimes as the radio station technique or something?

"Maybe automate eq, delays etc."
I have never ever attempted this but have seen it as an option when automating pan and gain! Id love more info or links if you have any. Any advice from anyone would be Incredible!

I was thinking about compressing the bass a little, triggered by the bass drum, using a compressor with side-chain.
There are quite a few videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb9quoCHzUzeSG2xGAcpw0g
 And here
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SONAR+automation

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

Zargg
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 19:24:52 (permalink)

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

FemcanLana
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 19:30:11 (permalink)
Zargg

Oh WOW! Thank you I copy and pasted the 2 videos and the link. I am familiar with his videos "Chernoby Studios" and they are awesome I will watch those 2

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 20:36:21 (permalink)
FemcanLana
I went from Acid pro 7 to Studio one ... reaper ... Sonar x3 ... to lifetime platinum.

For some reason Sonar was always easier ... everything is laid out perfectly for me. 

Oh, you're too kind. (=blush=) Such a nice thing to say.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/16 20:53:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/03/17 12:11:31
I guess I will give you this piece of advice - if it sounds good, it is good.  You should avoid adding things just to add them or using techniques just to use them.  Keep you mixes as simple as possible.

Set up your mixbus processing early in your mix (i.e. add your compressor and turn it on).

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/17 11:33:53 (permalink)
dwardzala
I guess I will give you this piece of advice - if it sounds good, it is good.  You should avoid adding things just to add them or using techniques just to use them.  Keep you mixes as simple as possible.
 Set up your mixbus processing early in your mix (i.e. add your compressor and turn it on).

+1 Keep it simple!  The more you add the more that can go wrong.  Murphy's law applies to audio!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
stevesweat
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: Whats next? and first question! TOTAL NEWBIE ALERT!!!!! 2017/03/17 13:30:59 (permalink)
 For ducking you might try ducking guitars with the vocal - so the guitars come down just a hair whenever the vocal comes in. It can be tricky dialing in the attack and release times, but worth it, and you don't want to duck too much. With metal this could help the vocals stand out without sacrificing overall guitar volume.

Steve
Sweaty Productions
http://www.youarentweird.com/
https://soundcloud.com/user-978097986-982906152
https://sweatyproductions.bandcamp.com/
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
AMD FX6300 3.5gig 6core
HYPERx FURY 16gigRam
PNY GeForce GT730
WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm
Gigabyte ATX AM3+ AMD 970 chipset