What's the secret to getting guitars up front?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
I/O
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2011/02/02 19:25:08 (permalink)

What's the secret to getting guitars up front?

I play and record instrumental guitar music.  I'm having difficulty getting my guitars to "pop".  What I mean is, when I listen to a professional recording, the guitars jump out of the speakers.  They aren't any louder than the rest of the mix, but they are clearly out front if that makes sense.  My guitars sound good, but sound recessed.  Is there a trick to getting them up front, or is it that I suck at EQ.  Or possibly because I'm using a L6 Toneport as my audio interface and I need a better interface?  I've done so much reading on mixing and mastering and nothing I've tried brings things up front.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

42 Replies Related Threads

Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:29:00 (permalink)
    Have you tried the Boost plug in?

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:33:23 (permalink)
    I/O

I play and record instrumental guitar music.  I'm having difficulty getting my guitars to "pop".  What I mean is, when I listen to a professional recording, the guitars jump out of the speakers.  They aren't any louder than the rest of the mix, but they are clearly out front if that makes sense.  My guitars sound good, but sound recessed.  Is there a trick to getting them up front, or is it that I suck at EQ.  Or possibly because I'm using a L6 Toneport as my audio interface and I need a better interface?  I've done so much reading on mixing and mastering and nothing I've tried brings things up front.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Do you tripple track your guitars and pan the tracks
    LCR :) and its outboard processing your hearing.too
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:37:51 (permalink)
    Pro channel should get the volume up then perhaps Channel tools to place them where you like in the stereo field.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    I/O
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:39:34 (permalink)
    Wow, that was fast.  Yes, I always use the boost on the master bus to bring it to -0.5 db.  Sometimes I single, double or triple track.  They all sound recessed to me.  It seems like it must have something to do with creating it's own space in the mix, but I'm really struggling with getting that right.  Panning helps separate in the stereo field, but it's still mushed together. 
    panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:42:32 (permalink)
    Have you any sound sample available?
    It would be easier to give advice.

-Panu
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:43:18 (permalink)
    Try being a little reserved on reverb if you are using it. Reverb can place things back behind other instruments.  Loudness of the guitar may seem the same as the background on the CDs but that may not be the truth. Use a compressor on them. Make sure that they are in the center not spread in the stereo field. Back off the background some. The single biggest way to up front instruments is loudness.

Often a solo will start with the other players backing off their volume.

Best
    John
    StarTekh
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:44:59 (permalink)
     with no dissrespect.. there is a art to eqing and placing
    sounds.. so in the end it all sounds good 35yrs at..as i said
    there is also outboar processing doubbling ur peadels wont
    cut it.. and the sound is only as good as wht your putting in

I/O
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:56:30 (permalink)
    I really appreciate the feedback guys.

John, I'll have to try messing with reverb a bit.  I have reverb on all my patches (using AxeFx direct in for recording).  Maybe I should record dry and try adding verb in the guitar bus?

Here's an example of one of my tunes.  I don't think it sounds bad, it just doesn't sound as 'focused" as recordings I listen to.
    Must be the Water

Star Tekh, what kind of outboard processing are you referring to?
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 19:56:48 (permalink)
    I find that tone and technique have as much to do with placing guitars in the mix as eq and panning. The most common mistake I hear is a bit too much distortion and sustain, or using a distortion that kills the dynamics of the track. Also the high frequency build up of some "fizzy" distortion can kill vocal and percussion tracks as well. Distortion can act as a limiter of sorts. It can kill the attack of the guitar strum, and make it difficult to hear either the tonal contribution (what chord is it?) or the rhythmic contribution of the track. If the guitar is a constant presence with no attack and no space between the attacks (so the ears can recover), the ears quickly learn to tune it out as background noise and search for something more interesting in the track to listen to. Certainly doubling guitars (perhaps with a bit of difference between the tracks) and panning can help as well. But if there is no "attack" content in the widely panned tracks, your two ears don't pick up the timing differences between the tracks and the spatial illusion is defeated.
    HumbleNoise
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:04:37 (permalink)
    I/O, I'm far from an expert but I hear a lot of 'guitars'. Rhythm and lead and the rhythm guitar seems recessed in the first part of the mix but they also just seem not loud enough. You can compress number one and up the volume. (You didn't mention if you using a compressor.) And/or back off the other tracks. I'd choose both.

Nice tune BTW.

EDIT: Craig Anderton had a great article on applying a notch filter (or two) to guitars that made an incredible difference. Don't know if that applies but can help with the fizzy that feedback50 mentioned.

Would love to see what you come up with.

EDIT: After another quick listen, (sorry gotta run outta here) I thought I heard a bit of sizzle or maybe fizzy in the distortion that feed mentioned and if that were turned up that might get offensive. May be a low pass on your EQ then some compression? Or the notch filter on the offending high frequencies (if indeed they are offending)
    post edited by HumbleNoise - 2011/02/02 20:14:21

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    I/O
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:13:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Larry! No, I don't have any compression on that project.  I've been messing with it a bit in ProChannel recently though.  I'll keep messing with it.  Compression is possibly the only effect I suck more at than EQ lol.

And thanks everyone else as well.  Lot's of cool stuff to try.  Much appreciated!
    HumbleNoise
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:16:55 (permalink)
    I/O

Thanks Larry! No, I don't have any compression on that project.  I've been messing with it a bit in ProChannel recently though.  I'll keep messing with it.  Compression is possibly the only effect I suck more at than EQ lol.

And thanks everyone else as well.  Lot's of cool stuff to try.  Much appreciated!

Pro Channel is really a nice compressor. Try some extreme setting for effect and then back it off. Remember on the 76 track compressor the input knob does the compressing and you can check how much by the drop in the VU meter. Then raise the output to suit.

That notch filter trick uses a very steep slope 'Q' on the EQ. Then you raise the EQ all the way and 'sweep' the sound till you find what will sound like some serious crud. Then you drop that frequency all the way out creating a notch in your EQ. Very effective at getting rid of stuff you can't hear but just doesn't sound right.
    post edited by HumbleNoise - 2011/02/02 20:19:42

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:22:04 (permalink)
    For what it's worth... each of the guitars parts is heavily compressed.

So while you may not have compressed the mix... you sure as heck compressed the guitar parts... and since you are asking about the guitar parts it is going to be helpful to think about how compressed they are.

I don't know if your guitar patch has a compressor in it or if you are just hitting the distortion enough to shove the tone against the ceiling... either way the end result is the same.

best regards,
    mike

HumbleNoise
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:24:58 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

I don't know if your guitar patch has a compressor in it or if you are just hitting the distortion enough to shove the tone against the ceiling... either way the end result is the same.

best regards,
    mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the input. Maybe that ceiling is what I'm picking up? Trying my best to understand this stuff so any help will help more that the OP.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    StarTekh
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:26:06 (permalink)

OK im listening to your song/mp3 not badd but the EQ im
    hearing is a issue..as a producer with many years under
    mt belt.. the eq'son drums and guitars are a issue,, I never
    take files and dont work for free. but if you tell me the bun
    file size, i might consider, a free demo mix.. for you..jon..

BTW your song is not badd and you play quite well..vg

outboard processing is yamaha rev 1000's in pich shift
    mode de tuned a little on left and right channel.. delay
    is a korg sdd3000...leveling is La-2's... there is other
    processors il bring in if you have the $$$..
    post edited by StarTekh - 2011/02/02 20:58:05
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 20:26:42 (permalink)
    I/O

John, I'll have to try messing with reverb a bit.  I have reverb on all my patches (using AxeFx direct in for recording).  Maybe I should record dry and try adding verb in the guitar bus?

Here's an example of one of my tunes.  I don't think it sounds bad, it just doesn't sound as 'focused" as recordings I listen to.
    Must be the Water

I can dig that song. You have talent. As others have said  and in this case I would use EQ to give the guitars some space for themselves. Try to cut the reverb on the drums a lot. Move the rhythm guitar to one side and the lead to the other. Have the drum and bass in the middle. Cut the reverb on everything. Redo the crash symbols.  Leave the reverb alone for the lead or just change a little. Use some processing on the kick to bring it out a bit more. Play around with placement. See what works. I like the tone of the lead. However its masked by the rhythm guitar. EQ, EQ .EQ. None of the above is written in stone except the EQ.
    post edited by John - 2011/02/02 20:28:15

Best
    John
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 21:03:11 (permalink)
    I'm not one to claim to be a great mixer,  but one really quick trick on sonar I've found...Throw the "Vintage Channel" plug-in on your guitar (or what ever you want to "pop").  There is a combination of eq, compression and expansion in that plug in that just works.  Run thru the presets and you will fing a setting that you'll like.  Then start messing with settings--or not.  You will NOT be dissappointed. 
    post edited by Jimbo 88 - 2011/02/02 21:07:04
    gefitch
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 21:28:00 (permalink)
    I/O

Must be the Water

Nice tune and enjoyed your playing...my first impression of the mix is your lead and rhythm guitars are competing
     in the same space with a similar grainy tone, which you might just try a different tone or eq on the rhythm. I'd try a few things, like doubling the rhythm (copy and paste to another track and nudge it slightly) hard panning them left/right with no reverb at this point, and your lead up the middle.

I think the main thing is if you want your lead in the middle you need to clear out the middle ground. This type of tune seems to beg for some reverb, at least in the lead gtr for sure.

Something I do is use a plate reverb and mess with the pre-delay so that you still hear the original guitar clearly and upfront, and then the pre-delay setting delays the reverb part and sort of puts it out in the distance. If you just strap on a regular room reverb it's going to start making your solo voice sit back in the mix. If you decide to put reverb on the backing guitars, try panning their reverbs to their respective sides...Left guitar/reverb left, Right guitar/reverb right. The goal being to stay out of the way of your lead.

Another thing to try, and this may be more appropiate on a different style, less spacious tune, is have one backing guitar panned to the side or around 36 Left or Right, then on your Lead guitar use a delay to double it Left/Right. 

Two tunes that exemplify these are 1. Flying In A Blue Dream - Joe Satriani, 2. The Crying Machine - Steve Vai

Maybe look those two songs up on grooveshark.com and give them a listen. The Satriani tune is more similar to yours, but what the hay...

Hope something here helps!

Gary
    panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/02 21:33:39 (permalink)
    I listened your song. Nice song & playing...

Main problem of the mix is not in guitars:
    - Drums are not punchy enough. More kick and snare, less hat and crashes. Reverb off.
    - Own reverb for snare.
    - Tambourine(s) are way too loud and they eat all the space in upper frequencies. I would mute them and rely on drums.
    - More bass.
    - 1/4 open hihat is not grooving. Mechanical.

Lead guitar sounds good. It could have more hidden delay and reverb behind it.
    Rhythm guitar sound is too close to the lead guitar's sound. Try something different. Try basic doubling L & R, no or little verb.

Wider than life guitar from mono guitar: add Channel Tools and set  ~10 ms delay for L or R channel. (Check that track interleave is set to stereo.)

Listen the mix at ultra low volume to check balance.

-Panu
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 00:50:16 (permalink)
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mixing, which is an art, not science.  Some good advice from above.  I didn't listen to the song, so I can't comment on the overall mix or your tone, but certain truths are self evident if you do recording long enough.

It is the source.  If the guitar is played like it should sound, the hardest part is already done.  One caveat, tho - fuzzy diistorted guitars that sound great live pushing wads of air can come off enimic recorded.  They are all mushy and can't be pushed out front.

Arrangement makes all the difference.  There needs to be space and a reason for a sound to exist.  In guitar music, it is all about the guitar (and vocals, most likely).  But a good guitarist will know when to play.  All the other aspects of arrangement also hold true - you don't want rhythnm instruments stepping on each other or over the lead.  that goes for frequency and the oft overlooked concept that a slow lead goes great over a faster tempo sound, or a faster lead for a slower tempo song.

As far as mixing, electric guitars are midrange instruments.  The cabinet itself rolls off the highs and lows and the speaker provides natural compression.  It is usually worthwhile to use your LPF and HPFs to accentuate the roll off so a full guitar sound ain't stepping all over everything else.  It also means you can turn up what is left to "pop" out as you correctly call it.  And add a little compression to keep the level steady.  both those things can help float a lead guitar over the rest of the song, just like a vocal.  Panning, as pointed out above, can differentiate the lead from the rhyhtm and give both a little of their own space.  It is also worthwhile, even if a "realistic" performance, to have a chugging/picking guitar that runs throughout the song turn into the lead - pan that guitar to the center when it takes the lead, just like a real guitarist will take center stage.  That can add more volume since both speakers are pumping it out.  Finally, volume.  It can't pop if it ain't any louder than anything else.  Once your rough levels are worked out and comps even things up, you'll find a few dbs here and there can really make a difference.  Be warned, you can burn up hours doing that, tho and more often than not after the first hour it ain't going to make any difference to the listener.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 01:08:10 (permalink)
    i feel your pain,i too am having this very problem right now..i went a buddys house last saturday night and hes got this pumping,jump right out at ya guitar sound..its killing me cause mine are thin and weak..i layer 3 tracks for rythm and three for lead..but sounds nothing compared to his 3 just centered in the mix...dont have an answer,just thought you might wanna know,your not alone
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 01:45:38 (permalink)
    As a rule of thumb for me, I try to keep EVERYTHING as close as I can to -6db. That will save you some headroom for mastering. Get the mix as close to "final" as you can.
      When you do your mastering, If you have to add more than 3db of enything, you are better off remixing it.   
    The overall level will be lower then you like, but that's whats mastering is for.

gtrs are mid range. multiple gtrs that are similar can be hard sometimes cuz they want to bleed into each other.      be careful with boost11.   It will give you more level, but it will slam your dynamics and make your waveform look like a solid majic marker line insted of a waveform.  
    with compression,  on the mastering side, generaly speaking, if you hear it, it's too much.  You want your master comp to be transparent and basically use it more like a "normalize" than a "squasher"  

let the bass bring out the balls of the gtrs.  Having the bass lean toward the gtrs more will also help seperate the bass from fighting aginst the kick.

Basically try to keep the instruments in thier "intended" freq. range so they won't fight each other and muddy things up.    

Recording and live playing are two different ani-mules. but,  there are a thousand "tricks" to get the same result.  if you want a more accurate opinion,  add a track of some music you would like your gtrs to sound like mixwise.   then we can compare the two and get a better idea of how far "Out front" is to your ears.     my front mix might be screaming to you, yet too low for the next guy.  

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 02:03:07 (permalink)
    The closest thing I can compare this track to is probably Eric Johnson in guitar style. With perhaps a little less delay. Go listen to this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUsjURfdQ4g

You have the main guitar up front and center, like this mix, but yours is carrying a lot more low end weight. You could do a high pass around 150 on that instrument and you would provide room for the bass a little more.

Next in the EJ mix, notice how the supporting guitars are panned a little left for the brighter one and another softer rounder one on the right. Each has a corresponding and opposite delay of a few milliseconds. Just a suggestion to move the supporting guitars in a similar fashion, delay is optional but they might use some hi pass as well at least at 100hz maybe higher depending on the result compared to the rest of the mix. Once you move the guitar your snare is going to have some more room down the middle and will pop a little more as suggested above.

These subtle changes will open your mix up and give it a little width.
    post edited by Middleman - 2011/02/03 02:05:01

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 02:43:14 (permalink)
    Jumbicat

Are you freaking SERIOUS?!?!?! Do you have any idea what the boost plug in does? Man, I can't stand how everyone things the solution to any problem is to just put boost on it... If you don't know when to use it, you shouldn't be using it at all. Full stop.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 03:53:22 (permalink)
    +1 Matt

I've not read every post on this thread, but one thing to be extremely cautious about is how much distortion you use.

Whatver you think sounds "good", back it off a little.

Too much distortion = fizzy highs = thin sound.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 07:34:35 (permalink)
    Thanks AT... I think your advice was spot on!

Good Job!

Some of the advice I read just seemed like it was going to make mixing seem harder and harder and harder...

I think one overall problem a lot of players have these days is that some of the most popular guitar tones and arrangements today are actually tailored to sound good on a music video coming out of a TV rather than a big pumping stereo or PA.

It's not really big heavy guitar but rather an impressionistic caricature of electric guitar.

I'd suggest to any guitarist trying to understand how tone effects the prominence of their instrument and playing in a mix to grab a few Buddy Guy albums and compare the tone to some of the contemporary "heavy rock" players that rely on heavy compression to sound big.

I'd also suggest that one consider how often Eddie Van Halen played panned double tracks on his early stuff.... yes? no? maybe?

Stuff like that.

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 08:50:09 (permalink)
    I/O: That song has a real nice feel to it - and the playing is quite good. Nice piece!

I tend to agree with most of the advice on this thread. Some separation of the instruments either by EQ, Compression, panning - etc.... is required. All the instruments seem to be fighting for the same space - and that is why the guitars are not "popping". First you need to separate the instruments, and there are plenty of tips in this thread for that. 

After you've created the space, one trick I use - and works especially well on a tune like yours is ducking the rhythm guitar(s) with the lead guitar. This is done with compressors and side-chaining. If you are not really familiar with the use of comps side chaining may seem foreign to you, but it's worth learning.

I'll set the attack fairly high, so when the lead guitar comes in, the rhythm drops in volume to create more space. For a song like this I would set the release fairly slow - so when the lead guitar hangs on a note, the rhythm guitar swells back into place. I'm not talking about a drastic effect here, the untrained ear should not even be aware this is happening. When done right, the rhythm part(s) will breath in behind the lead part, and always open up space, allowing the lead to "pop" out of the mix (providing you already have separation in all the instruments).

Earlier in this thread John said "Often a solo will start with the other players backing off their volume." That is essentially what this trick is doing with the other guitar(s).

Good luck in your mixing endevours. It's a never ending learning curve.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 08:53:58 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

Jumbicat

Are you freaking SERIOUS?!?!?! Do you have any idea what the boost plug in does? Man, I can't stand how everyone things the solution to any problem is to just put boost on it... If you don't know when to use it, you shouldn't be using it at all. Full stop.

hey did you have your coffee this morning?...lol..no need to rip anyones head off and stuff your vst's down their throat.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What's the secret to getting guitars up front? 2011/02/03 09:01:25 (permalink)
    I didn't read all the posts.... but there are a number of factors in getting a guitar to pop out in the mix without being too loud.

IMHO most have to do with the following things:

EQ.... make room in the spectral landscape for the guitar. Other instruments in the same frequency range should have different eq settings from the guitars. If not the freqs will blend and you get muddy non distinct noise.

Panning, don't crowd them together. they will melt into one noise.  Watch this video, it will explain this better than I can here.    Video  Feel free to watch it all later, but initially, jump to 13 minutes into the video and stick with it. It might seem dumb to start, but it becomes clear as he goes on and will make perfect sense in the end.  Michael talks about the sonic landscape and uses pictures to illustrate his points in how this relates to mixing sound. Michael was a recording engineer on some big time sessions before he started TAXI. You have heard his work on the radio.

Enveloping, don't let everything play all the time. If a guitar is playing and a piano is playing...decide which one is more important and envelope the other one out totally or at the very least down considerably in the mix.  If you want to feature the guitar, all you need to do is lower the other instrument(s) and the guitar is suddenly clearly audible. When a guitar isn't needed , keep it enveloped down.... when a piano isn't needed, keep it enveloped down. Doing this might seem hard at first...after all,  you spent the time to record it and you want to hear it. But having everything play at the same level all the way through a mix is a recipe for crap. The only things in my mixes that tend to stay at the same level is the drums and the bass. They are the foundation. The lead vocal also tends to stay constant in level. Everything else gets enveloped and plays only at the level it's needed at, and nothing is guaranteed to be present all the way through. Listen to music on the radio, and you will hear this in action. All genre's use it to one extent or another, but country is the best to illustrate it in action.

There's really  no secret to it. Brightening and compressing will also make it louder and brighter, which translates to being able to hear it better. In addition to getting the guitar sounding right to my ears, I use the methods I listed above in my mixing regardless of what the instrumentation of the mix is.

If necessary, pull everything down and start again from square one.

Hope this helps you.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/03 09:10:45

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1