What's wrong with Playlist?

Author
shaggydawg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2017/06/15 15:10:10 (permalink)

What's wrong with Playlist?

Hello all,

So I'm trying to see if I can use Sonar Home Studio (22.11.0 BUILD 66 [2016.11] - x64) to run backing tracks for a live show. I've created a playlist, which all seems well and good. One of the delay options to run the list is "Wait for Key Press". This is what I want to try first.

I set the option to "Wait for Key Press", and Sonar doesn't "Wait for Key Press" after I start the first song. It starts the next song on its own with no delay.

Is this a known bug? Am I missing something? This is throwing a serious wrench in the works.

Thanks for any help!

16 Replies Related Threads

joden
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1263
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 16:34:28 (permalink)
    Good luck with Playlist. The only reason I do not use Sonar live
    JCody
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 18:02:48 (permalink)
    It used to work for me. I haven't used it for a few months. But I've used it for live productions for the last 20 years. It ran the mixing board and light board through midi timecode and program changes as well as all the music and sfx. But I've reached the end of a legacy. We've switched to Q-lab, a MAC program designed for running shows. It's amazing, but it can't touch Sonar when it comes to editing audio.
    shaggydawg
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 20:43:32 (permalink)
    Well this doesn't sound encouraging. I thought I'd be able to have a production and live playback solution all in one app, but I guess it's not to be. Thing is, it's SUPPOSED to be! The feature is there: "Wait for Key Press".

I mean really, how long as this app been around?

For now I need to be able to do live mixes. I need a multitrack playback system. SONAR was supposed to do that. I researched it, I purchased it.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 21:38:15 (permalink)
    shaggydawg
    Well this doesn't sound encouraging. I thought I'd be able to have a production and live playback solution all in one app, but I guess it's not to be. Thing is, it's SUPPOSED to be! The feature is there: "Wait for Key Press".

I mean really, how long as this app been around?

For now I need to be able to do live mixes. I need a multitrack playback system. SONAR was supposed to do that. I researched it, I purchased it.

We have been using the playlist for live multitrack playback successfully in Sonar X3 with exactly these options. Since there are hardly any changes done to the playlist I doubt that this so broken now...

I can't check myself at the moment but maybe some expert playlist user will jump in to comment. Bruce (tenfoot) is usually around and very helpful. If not maybe try to PM

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 21:45:27 (permalink)
    There are a few people here who use it all the time and even though it has shortcomings they claim it works. 
    Hopefully one of them will chime in on this thread as I'm sure they would have the answers and help you make it work. 
    I've played with it myself and found it very slow to change songs which is not exceptable to me. I'm used to using stereo Wave files with Win Amp and I have a footswitch to control playback, so I run most songs without pauses between. 
    I was planning on using it as I'd like to have MIDI control my effects. I have bought Home Studio just for this purpose even though I have Splat. I figured HS would be more stable. I haven't given up on it yet and possibly a faster laptop would speed things up. Worst issue I'm dealing with is Sonars Lenses seem to be the issue. It loads the song but then jumps around for  a while figuring out the page set up. Looks like I'd have to go though all 150 projects and save them exactly the same layout or something.. 

I've brought up the topic a few times as I think there's a market for a well thought out live playback software. I guess Apple has something but going down that road is not about to happen for me. 

My proposal would be a very simple DAW with the following features. 
    12 tracks audio
    Unlimited Midi
    VST host supporting common formats 
    Text file support for second monitor, Lyrics display automatically when song starts. 
    Playlist editing = drag and drop to re arrange set lists on the fly. 
    Start and stop options ( custom keystrokes) 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

shaggydawg
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 22:22:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input, guys. I've been messing around a little more and am now finding the "Wait For Keypress" to be "mostly" working. I.e., it usually works but sometimes plays through to the next song in the list with no keypress.

All my projects are saved with the same lens setup (I struggled with that concept a few weeks ago trying to learn how to get a consistent project view) and I don't have a problem with loading times. That's perfectly acceptable. It's the random starting of projects with no keypress.

I guess I can try to see if it's the same songs that always start by themselves and see if there's anything about those that's causing the issue.
    joden
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1263
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/15 23:32:54 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    There are a few people here who use it all the time and even though it has shortcomings they claim it works. 
    Hopefully one of them will chime in on this thread as I'm sure they would have the answers and help you make it work. 
    I've played with it myself and found it very slow to change songs which is not exceptable to me. I'm used to using stereo Wave files with Win Amp and I have a footswitch to control playback, so I run most songs without pauses between. 
    I was planning on using it as I'd like to have MIDI control my effects. I have bought Home Studio just for this purpose even though I have Splat. I figured HS would be more stable. I haven't given up on it yet and possibly a faster laptop would speed things up. Worst issue I'm dealing with is Sonars Lenses seem to be the issue. It loads the song but then jumps around for  a while figuring out the page set up. Looks like I'd have to go though all 150 projects and save them exactly the same layout or something.. 

I've brought up the topic a few times as I think there's a market for a well thought out live playback software. I guess Apple has something but going down that road is not about to happen for me. 

My proposal would be a very simple DAW with the following features. 
    12 tracks audio
    Unlimited Midi
    VST host supporting common formats 
    Text file support for second monitor, Lyrics display automatically when song starts. 
    Playlist editing = drag and drop to re arrange set lists on the fly. 
    Start and stop options ( custom keystrokes) 

+1
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 00:03:30 (permalink)
    Hey Shaggydawg.

I can confirm that despite reports to the contrary the playlist does work very well for live playback, so stick with it! I use Sonar as both a production tool and live playback system to run not only backing tracks, but complex setups with lights, effects, digital mixers, external processors etc. That said, I do currently use a pre lense version of Sonar Platinum (2016-09) on my live rig as it is rock solid.

I have the latest Sonar Platinum loaded onto a spare laptop and just ran a test, and the 'wait for keypress' is indeed working as expected. One thing I would suggest at this stage is to not use lenses with the playlist as I have encountered a couple of issues with this. Instead, save your projects using a locked screenset that has the project windows in the position you require them. Also, make sure that you undock the browser window and close it prior to locking and saving your live project screenset. This will speed up the loading process.

The other point I would make is to make sure that whichever release version of Sonar you use live, make sure you use the same in your studio/production. With the changes to Sonar over the past six months, loading projects edited in later versions into earlier releases can cause Sonar to not find midi and audio outputs correctly,  particularly wth regard to archived tracks and disconnected VST synths. It is no big deal, and easily fixed by resaving the projects, but is hugely disruptive to the flow of a live performance!

Once you are aware of these few quirks, hopefully you will discover that the playlst in Sonar is exactly what you hoped it would be:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 00:08:19 (permalink)
    Screensets are not available in SONAR Home Studio.
    tenfoot
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 00:29:34 (permalink)
    scook

Ah - bummer. Thanks scook.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    tenfoot
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 01:12:16 (permalink)
    scook

Does Home Studio store the current window configuration upon saving? If so, that may be the way to go.

Bruce.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 01:20:55 (permalink)
    I do not have Home Studio to test. When it comes to window states, I would guess it works the same as SONAR with lenses only.
    Cactus Music
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 02:44:33 (permalink)
    Well it might be where the issue with loading time has been for me. The projects take about 20 seconds to settle down and it's probably the fact that originally the projects are from PLat and over the last 4 years. 
    I'll mess around a bit when I get another chance. 

What I might have to do is load them into HS and re save each project after choosing a lense pre set. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

tenfoot
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 04:07:03 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Well it might be where the issue with loading time has been for me. The projects take about 20 seconds to settle down and it's probably the fact that originally the projects are from PLat and over the last 4 years. 
    I'll mess around a bit when I get another chance. 

What I might have to do is load them into HS and re save each project after choosing a lense pre set. 

Give it a go Johnny. FWIW the lense presets in the latest update do not recall the Track view window position on any project except the one in which the preset was created. I would love to know if it works for you.

Bruce.

axess11
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 04:17:30 (permalink)
    Open Playlist Set, select a song, (highlighted), then click the clock icon, each song can be set for no delay, wait for key press or XX seconds delay before start.  Each song must be individually set.  Hope that helps.

Cactus Music
    Re: What's wrong with Playlist? 2017/06/16 15:04:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Art I'll look for the Clock. 

And thanks to Bruce, I was trying to remember who it was who had chimed in on other threads.. 

The thing is Home Studio is different than Plat in that one big way, no screensets, and the behaviour is different. 
    Generally old projects open the way I want them to, But the time lag is due to Sonar redrawing the window. 
    When the project first opens it will very briefly look the way it did when last saved, Then things start jumping around, closing, opening and 10-20 seconds later the project settles down and looks fine. This is not an issue when working on projects as 20 seconds is OK, One example is HS doesn't have a synth rack. So it's doen't know what to do when loading a Splat project that had the synth rack open which is all of mine. 

I was just trying to avoid opening and re configuring 150 songs!! Looks like this will just have to happen before I'm safe to go. I have a gig in 2 weeks I was hoping to try it. My other option is to use Splat. But this is a 3rd computer and I'm trying to be legal. 
    If it didn't work I have 2 laptops and can easily return to my tried and true Win Amp. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1