What’s better for big SFZ'S

Author
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2006/08/06 00:18:18 (permalink)

What’s better for big SFZ'S

Not just physical size but complex opcodes. I’m writing a midi plug-in that’s going to control one of these. Sending out CC’s and so on……In terms of performance, which one can handle 200 CC messages coming at it at one time and still play samples efficiently.

1. Dimension Pro 1.2
2. Rapture
3. SFZ

Does it matter?

Thanks
js

3 Replies Related Threads

Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: What’s better for big SFZ'S 2006/08/06 03:48:16 (permalink)
    200 CCs all at once? You a control freak or something Jacob?

Anyway, in answer to you question, the sfz engine (AKA Expression Engineâ„¢) is under the bonnet of the three synths you mentioned. Each is capable of playing back very complex patches and accurately tracking all manner of realtime control messages.

As for which is the best in terms of efficiency and accuracy, I'd say DropZone (included in Kinetic package.) Why is this? Simply because each time CW release an sfz compatible synth, they include the latest build of the core sfz engine meaning that all the most recent fixes & tweaks are included. However, DropZone has obvious limits when it comes to GUI control.

Next, I'd say DP 1.2 since that was updated after Rapture was released.

As for the original sfz player, well, it has a special place in my heart but the other synths have seriously superceded it. If you were going to use sfz, I'd say go for the build that was included with Sonar.
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: What’s better for big SFZ'S 2006/08/06 08:21:16 (permalink)
    Thanks.
    I’m just trying to see if Dim Pro will outperform Konatkt2 on WinX64.

Js.
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: What’s better for big SFZ'S 2006/08/06 13:40:54 (permalink)
    Just make sure your sampleset can fit into your RAM. Rain Piano, for example, is somewhere about 750M if I remember right, between keyrange splits and velocity layers.

I didn't think about the size when I ran it through EXSC to convert the Kontakt format to sfz. The conversion was straightofward, but since DimPro doesn't stream from disk, my machine ground to a halt when I tried to actually load it. Perhaps if I had 2GB of RAM and/or a faster internal hard drive (which was busy with the swap file, as well as the samples) it would have worked.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1