When is walking distance driving distance?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MemphisJo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 594
2009/03/13 20:46:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu
I don't eat at Arbys and I have one two block from my house (literlly walking distance).

When I read this it struck me as an interesting discussion point, when does a distance change from being 'walking' distance' to some other distance (e.g. driving)

We have a load of people from around the world here, I wonder how differing the opinions would be?? I guess we would have to set a baseline rule that we are not in any extraordinary hurry to do anything else in particular... just a normal day.

For example, when I was a teenager my daily walk to high school was about 2 miles each way... so it was walking distance to me at the time (although sometimes I cycled). Of course I had no choice because if I didn't comply I would be flogged.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

34 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 20:51:24 (permalink)
    when you have a car, nothing is walking distance unless it involves alcohol, in which case you can suddenly walk a long long way!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    MemphisJo
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 21:01:09 (permalink)
    See, already an interesting reply from mpg... I figure that from the replies we can probably figure not only the area of the world that someone originates from but also their approximate age. I can already see that mpg is probably a bit younger than me and he says that he's from Liverpool (but could be living anywhere). I was actually born near Liverpool in Heswall.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

i8ipop
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 21:06:23 (permalink)
    an interesting question for sure. before i started driving ( about 5 years ago) i used to walk alot, 5kms+ and didn't think much of it but now unless my wife's twisting my arm to go for a "leisurely stroll" anything over a km is not gonna happen. I know ppl who will use their car even if it's just to go to a store 500m down the road???

Still raining...still dreaming!
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 21:06:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mgh

when you have a car, nothing is walking distance unless it involves alcohol, in which case you can suddenly walk a long long way!

Unless you have a good mate like SidStrummerUK or WayneTicklerUK or JamieSnookerCaptainUK who will remain sober and drive you about!!

Nice pot ....

As in snooker!!

Nice new avatar Mark - son of Atom Heart Mother perhaps

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 22:07:33 (permalink)
    varies from country to country.. e.g. back in London... hhm 2 minute walk up the road to the shop.. where I am currently again a massive supermarket 2 minute walk.. 5 minutes by car.. When i went to Canada, nearest shop hhm 40 minutes walk.. thankfully I had a minidisc walkman.hehe but the public transport where I was was *cough*...

depends on the country your in.

I walk a fair bit or try to even though I have had a license for coming up to 20 years and had a car all that time.

I walk to town out here.. it's about 15-20 minutes.. Twig probably knows the bit of road I'm on about, where the magic roundabout is.. going to town , it's fine.. but the hill is steep coming back..

now maybe someone saying.. what's a magic roundabout? well think of a roundabout surrounded by 5 smaller roundabouts.. I heard they tried introducing them in the states / Canada.. just 1 roundabout.. and it caused accidents..

anyway here's a pic

once you get used to driving around it, it's not so bad.

as for driving in a different country, I remember going to France years ago (someone else drove).. you let traffic come onto the road and has right of way... also instead of going around a roundabout clockwise, there it's anti clockwise.. confusing at first.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/03/13 22:15:42
    i8ipop
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 23:11:58 (permalink)
    Looks insane!

ps.

Driving in Australia sucks, they are the worst sign-posters I've ever come across. I'm used to it now but the first few months ???

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/13 23:31:17 (permalink)
    Ehh, my wife's always trying to get me to walk...I'm pretty lazy. My oldest son goes to CCD at the church on the corner (about a half city block)...and I hop in the car to bring him there. If my driveway was long enough, I'd probably drive to check the mail, lol.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 01:09:05 (permalink)

When it starts to rain?
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 04:12:02 (permalink)
    Paul, Swindon Town Planners were also deranged enough to try that

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 08:01:42 (permalink)
    I'm all for bicycles!!!
    That's one of the greatest inventions. A fun way to take care of your physical condition no matter what your age is or if your knees or back are weak. In Finland our climate cuts the biking season short, but look at Holland or Denmark! There can be thousands of bicycles on a railway station's parking lot, it's quite normal to see 70-year old couples having a ten mile evening ride around the town dressed smart, not in jogging suits.
    There are also own traffic lights for bicycles and the traffic safety is (mostly) brilliantly managed.

What you can not see, are fat people. There are none (practically).

Bicycle - the most simple, practical and fun way to improve the health of mankind (in the lazy industrialised countries).

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 08:35:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kalle Rantaaho

I'm all for bicycles!!!
    That's one of the greatest inventions. A fun way to take care of your physical condition no matter what your age is or if your knees or back are weak. In Finland our climate cuts the biking season short, but look at Holland or Denmark! There can be thousands of bicycles on a railway station's parking lot, it's quite normal to see 70-year old couples having a ten mile evening ride around the town dressed smart, not in jogging suits.
    There are also own traffic lights for bicycles and the traffic safety is (mostly) brilliantly managed.

What you can not see, are fat people. There are none (practically).

Bicycle - the most simple, practical and fun way to improve the health of mankind (in the lazy industrialised countries).

You're right there Kalle. The average traffic speed in London is now around 7mph..about the same as a running chicken!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 08:39:55 (permalink)
    I don't have a car, but I will usually walk anywhere within a one hour radius, after that it's the bus/train.
    Sven

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 10:00:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jinga8

When it starts to rain?

Or looks like it might rain

Fog
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 10:44:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kalle Rantaaho
    I'm all for bicycles!!!

the thing with Holland is they have the info structure for bikes, even outside the major cities.

my dad still cycles, he used to fix bikes for a living, many moons ago, although these days there is no money in that. He cycles still , my mum used to also.. both are over 70... just in London, well the roads are crazy , people opening car doors etc without looking for a start etc..
    post edited by Fog - 2009/03/14 10:45:28
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 13:30:03 (permalink)

When it starts to rain?

How about when it is 95pct humidity and 95 degrees? When you sweat like bad pork the minute you step outside?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 13:31:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

When it starts to rain?

Or looks like it might rain

Or it looks like it might get humid

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 13:31:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

When it starts to rain?

How about when it is 95pct humidity and 95 degrees? When you sweat like bad pork the minute you step outside?

Car.

Air Conditioned car.

VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 14:29:58 (permalink)

Not very likely in the UK

VJ
    Fog
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 14:34:25 (permalink)
    we can dream VJ..lol

my sis is in Goa at the moment, and when it gets to this time of year, they really miss the UK weather.. as it's not s nice this time of year.
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 16:03:20 (permalink)
    ......and remembering the summer of '76, we can't cope with it anyway !!

VJ
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 17:19:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: VinylJunkie

I
    Aah - Vyne, the summer of 76, my own personal summer of love, for the first time too. Now I would have walked 500 miles for that girl, and then I'd walk 500 more...............

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 17:56:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

I
    Aah - Vyne, the summer of 76, my own personal summer of love, for the first time too. Now I would have walked 500 miles for that girl, and then I'd walk 500 more...............

Thanks for Proclaiming that for us Garry.

And as for a summer of lurve, well mate - '76 is an anagram of '67 you know

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 19:37:00 (permalink)
    Well.. I have to answer the question somewhat differently than the question posed.

I have owned close to 30 cars in my life. Many of them sports cars (all but one rear wheel drive). About 8 ears ago I stopped driving... my plates were up for renewal, insurance and so on... and as I pondered laying out many hundred of dollars again for "the privilege" of driving the car I own, and then factored the real annual cost of owning a car, I began to look at my lifestyle.

I live in a large city. It has bike paths and public transit. I live close to downtown in an upscale neighborhood (I am not well off myself, I just like living here) where most cars parked around here are called Audi, Bimmer, Merc and Porsche (pronounced por-shah - por-shah... say it ... por-shah -- sorry, pet peeve). Fortunately its a cosmopolitan neighborhood, so suv's and pick me up trucks are few.

And every day, I would watch these expensive cars be caught in traffic, caught at a light, wasting gas, wasting time... it did not matter that it cost 100,000 dollars... it was still the same as the guy in the little yellow honda civic. Everybody just sat there, on there asses, waiting.

It no longer made any sense to me. I remembered back to my University days and recalled how I would actually get around town much faster on my bike than I did driving or taking the bus during high traffic periods (like when one goes to, or comes back from, work).

I was a slave to my cars. At that time, even though single, I had two. One practical, one for street racing - yes I was one of those... I do still enjoy it... get to know me and you will be regaled with tales of high speed and near misses which I do consider stupid, and I do consider myself to be very luck having only one bad accident 22 years ago and I was not even racing (now I just play Need For Speed, heheheh).

So realizing I was a slave to them, and there were few compelling reasons to have one, I just decided not to renew anything. Now I have no drivers license (that expired about 4 years later), and a bicycle. Every now and then in the winter, I begin to regret it as there are a lot of sketchy moments on a bicycle in the snow and ice and I am getting more and more nervous about it (I know, I replaced one stupidity with another, but man, I just can't take the bus... its just too slow, too cold or hot, too crowded, and too wasting of my time, again).

For regular travel or commuting, my practical limit is about 10mi in good conditions... after that I begin to question if I really need to go wherever. If I do, I may take the bus. If its snowing I may not ride (that depends on the previous condition... if its snow over patchy ice or deep I walk to work (about 3 miles).
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/03/14 19:46:27

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 20:04:54 (permalink)
    As Steven Wright says "Everything is within walking distance.... if you have enough time."

I'm a cyclist, but I bet one of the reasons cycling is so popular in Denmark is that the sales tax on a car is 100% (at least that what the guy at Hertz in Copenhagen told me).

As for the Magic Roundabout, it's no wonder they make it so difficult to pass the driver's exam in England... but the coworker who told me about it said it actually works pretty well.

Ah, just realized how my avatar is apropos to this thread. ;-)
    post edited by jhughs - 2009/03/14 20:17:13

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 20:16:28 (permalink)
    From late May to December in Tampa Florida, walking distance is to the end of the driveway. Any further than that requires a shower and a change of clothes.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Fog
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 21:24:53 (permalink)

I was 3, so I don't recall.. although it might explain if a lot of kids were born in early 77 hehe
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 23:22:30 (permalink)
    If it's further than I can see, someone has to push me there.

I don't drive after a particular 3 year stretch on the road saw me cover 180,000 miles and statistically to the moon and back made me an overdue bad accident. I got up one morning to get in the car AGAIN and just couldn't do it and haven't done it since and don't much care if I never do.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/14 23:29:19

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Fog
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/14 23:31:17 (permalink)
    driving itself has changed Jon though since I have been on the road. Most people have road sense, but even the other day I had some idiot driver who looked like they'd just passed tail gating me, and this was on a 30 mph road which i was turning into a drive.. I was waiting for them to go into the back of my car, the stupid way they drove.

driving 180k jeez.. I'm lucky if I do 4 or 5k a year. at most I probably do 50-70 miles a week at the most.
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: When is walking distance driving distance? 2009/03/15 00:46:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jhughs

As for the Magic Roundabout, it's no wonder they make it so difficult to pass the driver's exam in England... but the coworker who told me about it said it actually works pretty well.

In America, that would be known as a "Trial Lawyers Wet Dream" roundabout.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1