Where Can I Rename My Device Ins/Outs?

Author
KenJr
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
2008/07/31 22:26:12 (permalink)

Where Can I Rename My Device Ins/Outs?

Ugh - I can't find the dialogue box to rename my RME's inputs from "RME Analog 1" to "Preamp Left Channel".

I know I've seen is somewhere digging around but can't find it...

Thanks!

My Gear/Studio Pics
My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!

4 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Where Can I Rename My Device Ins/Outs? 2008/07/31 22:36:21 (permalink)
    Audio Options dialog--Drivers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Options-Audio command opens the Audio Options dialog box. Choose the Drivers tab to display a two-column list of available drivers, and selectively enable them by clicking the corresponding check box. You can change the driver name by clicking the name in the first column and typing in your preferred name, or friendly name, for the driver.

Input Drivers
    These control recording.

Output Drivers
    These control playback.

Use Friendly Names to Represent Audio Drivers
    If you enable this check box, the Input and Output menus in audio tracks and buses will use whatever friendly names you've created for your Input and Output drivers. Friendly driver names are global, not per-project.

MIDI Devices dialog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Options-MIDI Devices command opens the MIDI Devices dialog, which lets you choose the MIDI inputs and outputs you want to use. The selection in the output menu for a track determines which piece of hardware will be used to produce the sound stored in your project. The list of enabled input devices in the MIDI Devices dialog determines which input MIDI devices can successfully send MIDI data into your Cakewalk application.

You can make up your own friendly names for the MIDI input and output devices listed in this dialog. The friendly name for a MIDI device is the name you will see in MIDI track input and output menus, if you enable the Use Friendly Names To Represent MIDI Devices checkbox at the bottom of this dialog. To make up a friendly name, double-click the name of a device in the Friendly Name column, type a new name, and press Enter.

The MIDI Devices dialog has the following fields:

Inputs
    Select devices from the list (you may have only one). SONAR accepts input from these devices for recording MIDI data.

Outputs
    Select devices from the list. If your computer or MIDI interface has several MIDI outputs, you choose the ones you want to use and put them in a particular order. From then on, MIDI output 1 refers to the first selected MIDI output, MIDI output 2 to the second selected MIDI output, and so on. The output number is based solely on the order in which the selected outputs appear in the MIDI Devices dialog. As a result, the output numbers used in SONAR may not match the output numbers that appear on your external multiport MIDI interface.

Move Checked Devices to Top button
    Click this button to move a checked device farther up in the list, directly behind any other checked devices. If you want a particular device to become MIDI output 1, deselect all other devices, select the device you want to be number 1, and click the Move Checked Devices to Top button.

Use Friendly Names to Represent MIDI Devices
    Enable this checkbox if you want the input and output menus of MIDI tracks to display the friendly name of a MIDI device, instead of its original name.

Warn About No MIDI Devices
    Enable this checkbox if you want your Cakewalk application to warn you if no MIDI devices are enabled.

Best
    John
    DOCTORWAVESII
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Where Can I Rename My Device Ins/Outs? 2009/06/16 16:34:36 (permalink)
    I am using Sonar 8 I understand the above info on inputting Friendly names but when i open the program the next day , the new names i put in are not there.They go back to the old friendly names i had put in earlier. Also when i put new Instrument names in the define Instruments, they also do not appear when i re open Sonar For example i added Nord to the define list and all is find and good until i close Sonar.and re open the name Nord is not there?
    Thanks for any suggestions

Less Is Better, More is never enough .
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Where Can I Rename My Device Ins/Outs? 2009/06/16 18:45:10 (permalink)
    Try deleting the aud.ini file. that is where SONAR keeps the friendly name info. By deleting this file SONAR has to create a new one on startup. It will ask to profile your sound card for MME and WDM/KS drivers. Say yes. Then select your preferred driver type MME, WDM/KS, ASIO etc and go edit your friendly names. They should stick this time.

If you change to a different driver type you'll have to redo the friendly names for those drivers too. Each driver type you use will have to be done.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    DOCTORWAVESII
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Where Can I Rename My Device Ins/Outs? 2009/06/17 15:02:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.The problem has been fixed. The friendly names i was referring to were the MIDI inputs. What happen is, for some reason VISTA (Ugg) put the .INS file names in the Documents folder instead of Administrator Folder. Or maybe i did by mistake on my many re install of sonar 8. Anyways when i loaded the INS files through The document folder the names ( Alesis DM5 ,Nord, )stay in the instruments file tree, the new friendly names are save also now (Strange) . I had for some reason the .INS files names in both the Administrator Folder.and Documents folder and upon restarting Sonar got confused were to look for the changes lol

Not sure if possible but i would be nice when u install
    Sonar they would just put every file into ONE big folder called Cakewalk ,instead of putting some files in Documents Folders,Application Folders , some in Programs Folders. It would save a some of time finding them , and leave more time just recording the music.

Less Is Better, More is never enough .
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1