Where Did She Go

Author
FreeEarCandy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
2017/04/26 20:41:41 (permalink)

Where Did She Go

"Where Did She Go" is track #6 from the FreeEarCandy 2016 Collection. It is a song about the place we call our home town and how it has changed and the memories.

The cover art is a 1960 era photo of the State Theater in Easton, Pa, which is my home town. With a little photo doctoring, I finally made the big time at the historic State Theater in Easton, Pa. !
The original name on the bill board, which somehow became covered with the name "FreeEarCandy", is "Elvis Presley In His Great New Hit "Blue Hawaii""

https://soundcloud.com/us...18354/where-did-she-go

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
***FreeEarCandy***

14 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/04/27 14:22:28 (permalink)
    Dean,

This is a nice track. I like the song a lot and the overall "vibe". As for the mix, I think it could use quite a bit more bottom. The entire mix sounds like it has been HPF a bit too much. Also, the high frequencies are just a tad "sizzily"...

With that bass/kick beat, there needs to be more weight.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/04/27 16:30:39 (permalink)
    That's good. Does need some 'oomph' in the bottom end, the whole track sounds a bit small under the vocal. I like that guitar break, very tasteful.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/04/27 16:51:36 (permalink)
    Very pleasant, vocal sounds good, the bass guitar is present, but there are other bits that do not appear to be so present.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/04/28 00:46:03 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Dean,

This is a nice track. I like the song a lot and the overall "vibe". As for the mix, I think it could use quite a bit more bottom. The entire mix sounds like it has been HPF a bit too much. Also, the high frequencies are just a tad "sizzily"...

With that bass/kick beat, there needs to be more weight.

Regards,
    Dan

Wookiee
    Very pleasant, vocal sounds good, the bass guitar is present, but there are other bits that do not appear to be so present.

Thanks for sharing.

jamesg1213
    That's good. Does need some 'oomph' in the bottom end,...

Dan, James, and Wookie, you all have a good ear. Here is the thing. I posted this back in 2016 at another site and many of the reviews complained about too much bottom (i.e. bass). So, in response, I now have this version, which I agree doesn't have the weight. I guess I'm waiting for Goldilocks to chime in. "Nice track" indeed, but it is driving me nuts trying to get the right balance. Any takers? 

In any case I'm glad everyone liked the composition and arrangement and I sincerely appreciate the honest reactions about the mix.

Dean.

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/04/28 16:59:24 (permalink)
    Hey, this has a cool indie feel to it -- a very good demo of your song.  I enjoyed the listen...

Allan
    =-=-=

FreeEarCandy
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/04/30 22:21:21 (permalink)
    ABull
    Hey, this has a cool indie feel to it -- a very good demo of your song.  I enjoyed the listen...

Thanks for listening Allen. Glad you enjoyed it. 

dcumpian
    Dean,

...With that bass/kick beat, there needs to be more weight.

Hey Dan! In consideration of your helpful comment I quickly went back and made some adjustments. How's this sound now? 

https://soundcloud.com/user-381818354/where-did-she-go-fec-3

Thanks for the help Dan!

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    dcumpian
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/01 13:33:30 (permalink)
    FreeEarCandy
    ABull

Thanks for listening Allen. Glad you enjoyed it. 

dcumpian
    Dean,

...With that bass/kick beat, there needs to be more weight.

Hey Dan! In consideration of your helpful comment I quickly went back and made some adjustments. How's this sound now? 

https://soundcloud.com/user-381818354/where-did-she-go-fec-3

Thanks for the help Dan!

Still missing the kick, though the bass is there.

I would go back to your last mix and fix the overall EQ on the drum kit first. Get the Kick to a level that adds some power/weight to the beat, then bring the bass up to sit with the kick. You don't want that bass too loud because it has a very big sound.

Regards,
    Dan

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/02 00:54:32 (permalink)

"Still missing the kick, though the bass is there.

I would go back to your last mix and fix the overall EQ on the drum kit first. Get the Kick to a level that adds some power/weight to the beat, then bring the bass up to sit with the kick. You don't want that bass too loud because it has a very big sound."

Ok Dan. Again, I appreciate the advice. I went into AD2 and played with a few things such as, moving the beater forward and eq. The beater didn't make enough difference to me and the eq created odd tones. So next I went to the bus and opened the prochan eq and pushed the low end @ 82 hz up to around +13 db. This made a big difference-perhaps too much? I also felt the need to push the uppers freq @ 12608 hz a tad higher because the massive low seemed to drown out the hat.

Well, here is the result, and thanks again Dan!
    https://soundcloud.com/us...ere-did-she-go-fec-2-c

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    dcumpian
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/02 12:58:25 (permalink)
    FreeEarCandy

"Still missing the kick, though the bass is there.

I would go back to your last mix and fix the overall EQ on the drum kit first. Get the Kick to a level that adds some power/weight to the beat, then bring the bass up to sit with the kick. You don't want that bass too loud because it has a very big sound."

Ok Dan. Again, I appreciate the advice. I went into AD2 and played with a few things such as, moving the beater forward and eq. The beater didn't make enough difference to me and the eq created odd tones. So next I went to the bus and opened the prochan eq and pushed the low end @ 82 hz up to around +13 db. This made a big difference-perhaps too much? I also felt the need to push the uppers freq @ 12608 hz a tad higher because the massive low seemed to drown out the hat.

Well, here is the result, and thanks again Dan!
    https://soundcloud.com/us...ere-did-she-go-fec-2-c

Link is broken. 13db is a lot. Right now, the entire drum kit sounds like it is very far away, and most of the low-low mids are gone. Is this a preset in AD2 that you are using? If so, try disabling some of the FX in AD2 that might be affecting the sound.

What I am suggesting is, remix the drum kit so that the kick is present and the entire kit has a bit more body. Then you can bring up the bass to sit with the kick.

Regards,
    Dan

My music:
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/02 23:33:12 (permalink)
    dcumpian

Link is broken. 13db is a lot. Right now, the entire drum kit sounds like it is very far away, and most of the low-low mids are gone. Is this a preset in AD2 that you are using? If so, try disabling some of the FX in AD2 that might be affecting the sound.

What I am suggesting is, remix the drum kit so that the kick is present and the entire kit has a bit more body. Then you can bring up the bass to sit with the kick.

Regards,
    Dan

Hello Dan.

I wrote 2 nice replies and managed to erase both in the course of editing them. I'll have to remember that "cancel" means Delete.  I'm a bit frustrated, so I'll be brief. Sorry about the link. Try this one and see if the mix is any better. If so. I'll explain what I did for the 3rd time and remember not to Cancel/Delete it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-381818354/demo

Thanks Dan.
    Dean.

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    dcumpian
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/03 13:33:21 (permalink)
    FreeEarCandy
    dcumpian

Regards,
    Dan

Hello Dan.

I wrote 2 nice replies and managed to erase both in the course of editing them. I'll have to remember that "cancel" means Delete.  I'm a bit frustrated, so I'll be brief. Sorry about the link. Try this one and see if the mix is any better. If so. I'll explain what I did for the 3rd time and remember not to Cancel/Delete it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-381818354/demo

Thanks Dan.
    Dean.

Overall, I think the drums sound better. The bass could stand a little EQ or multi-band compression just to get a little more control over it, but this version definitely has better low to low mid energy.

Regards,
    Dan

My music:
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/04 18:53:33 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    FreeEarCandy
    dcumpian

Overall, I think the drums sound better. The bass could stand a little EQ or multi-band compression just to get a little more control over it, but this version definitely has better low to low mid energy.

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks a lot Dan. You were right about the kick and the correction does indeed give this track the bottom it needs. I've never played around with multi band compression and have been searching the internet for more information on the various ways of using it. MBC is an interesting device. Another idea that seemed to intrigue me is to perhaps narrow the bass. Sort of boxing it to the center and not allowing it to bleed over into the wider left and right fields. Just out of curiosity, I'll have to give that a try too. In any event, thanks for your time and help Dan!  

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/16 21:06:06 (permalink)
    I've just started listening to your music and already I addicted to your raw but tasty kind of rock.  I love the vocals in this and the overall arrangement, which is somewhat sparse, but open.  This certainly has a lot of thump from the bass drum, but it's overwhelming the bass guitar to my ears.  I would simply boost the bass guitar by 2db or so.  It's so close that I'd be OK if your left it as is.  This is a gem of a song that can easily be stellar with a minor tweak.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Where Did She Go 2017/05/17 15:20:02 (permalink)
    very cool FEC - some really nice production touches and the backing vocals are excellent.
    I agree with some of the comments re the mix - it comes across as brittle.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1