Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
i8ipop
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/20 02:21:53 (permalink)
I don't even get what you're trying to say??? you appear to be in a dreamwold. lift your game!

Still raining...still dreaming!
blinduncledallas
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/20 02:43:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: i8ipop

I don't even get what you're trying to say??? you appear to be in a dreamwold. lift your game!

What? Who is that directed at?

Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/20 18:01:29 (permalink)
hey blinduncledallas, do my eyes deceive me or is that Phil Spector in your Avatar?

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/20 18:40:20 (permalink)
only 2 people can sport such a hair cut.. Phil and a certain boxing promoter.. I'm just jealous I'm going bald
blinduncledallas
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/20 18:46:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

hey blinduncledallas, do my eyes deceive me or is that Phil Spector in your Avatar?

Aye. It certainly is. It was during his first trial. He wore is briefly until he (wisely) changed his appearance to something more normal. What a majestic wig. What a strange man but such a fantastic, innovative producer for his time.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/20 18:57:57 (permalink)
Strange...I don't find him that innovator at all...

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/21 09:22:50 (permalink)
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
ORIGINAL: Middleman

10 years from now...hmm....let's see....

The parties over. The Boomers will be mostly dead ( to quote a line from the princess bride). Most of the large music companies have all the music libraries over 80 years of recorded music. They will continue to re-release their collections to the public, make money on music backdrops for commercials and now also internet ads.

Having no place to hone their craft, musicians will become less and less adept at entertaining audiences. The people won't want to listen to boring musicians and will continue to accept the music of the past because it will be much better than the real thing. People will continue to record at home thinking they can create a new paradigm with online new music but by and large it won't sound as interesting as the music company tunes coming from the vault. Some musicians will however make a small income from online.

People will look back at the 1900s as a Renaissance in music expression much like the era of Mozart and Beethoven was up until that time.

or

Everything will be the same as it is now.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
jhughs
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1179
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/21 11:27:06 (permalink)
Weren't we all supposed to be listening to nothing but techno-pop by now?

But seriously, my 15 year old son was musing on this same question the other day. He could see it going in several directions and we reached no conclusion.

As much as I like instrumentals, the general population like songs with words or at least some vocals. People can identify with a singer and can sing along with no musical training, so vocal will always be popular.

As for distribution, more and more music will be discovered and distributed on-line via laptops and mobile devices. Although the long tail will just get longer, I think there will always be a place for "broadcasters", although it will shift more and more to on-line streaming-stations, cellular broadcasting, satellite, etc. There will always be people like my son who seek out music, but I think most listeners just want to turn on a "station" and be entertained.

No matter what happens, especially you who are too young to remember, we must be constantly vigilant against the return of Disco.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
jhughs
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/21 13:01:01 (permalink)
Asked my son (15). He said the next big thing will be Indie sounding music.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/21 17:16:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jhughs
Asked my son (15). He said the next big thing will be Indie sounding music.

thought we already had that...

- jack the ex-cynic
Sonic the Hedgehog
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/22 01:59:44 (permalink)
This made my weekend!

No matter what happens, especially you who are too young to remember, we must be constantly vigilant against the return of Disco.

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/22 04:22:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jhughs

It's too late.............

RUN FOR COVER !!

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/22 21:48:45 (permalink)
Not all disco was bad. What about this?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/24 09:01:17 (permalink)
All songs will only need to be about 30 seconds long. (My kid's friends listen to 30 seconds of a song before hitting next on the Ipod) After 30 seconds it will not matter.

Kids will sit on the couch (sipping Brawndo - The Thirst Mutilator!), watching Ow My Balls ! and listening to the first 30 seconds of thousands of songs on their terrabyte sized ipods.

If you have not seen Idiocracy, it is so far the most credible vision of the future I have seen.

(Note the music can be any genre that will not change, in fact there may be many more genres to appeal to cool people who do not wish to be defined by everyone else's genre, it just needs to grab you for at least 30 seconds)

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
jhughs
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/24 22:41:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Not all disco was bad.

I jest... a little. But seriously, there is some disco I like. I always told my kids that in any musical genre there's usually a lot of mediocre stuff but if you dig long enough you'll find something good. (Although I never quite got reggae.)

On the other hand, I suffered through "disco summer" (1976) when the only two good songs on the radio were "Take the Money and Run" and "The Boys are Back In Town". I'd like not to repeat that.

J Hughs Soundclick
jacktheexcynic
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/24 23:05:24 (permalink)
disco. hope for the future. as in, it could always be worse.

- jack the ex-cynic
ed97643
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1610
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/24 23:28:47 (permalink)
Quote: "personally, i think nirvana made a bigger contribution to rock than the beatles"

(Just finished vomiting up my dinner.... 'scuse me while I wipe my chin...)

Here's what I worry about. Budding musicians (age 11-17) get their lifelong inspiration (primarily) from what inspired them at their early-middle teen years. I play guitar, and when I was young, players such as EVH reigned supreme. So my generation all tried hard to build up chops to that ethstetic.

Then, Nirvana killed hard rock (I won't argue here whether this was good or bad, but you can guess my opinion), and ten years of "no solos / woe is me songs / life sucks / teen angst" music reigned supreme.

So we then had a generation of no solo learning musicians coming up. These are the guys who are in their 20s NOW.

TO ADD TO THAT, we have now advanced to a new generation of "no dynamics" students... kids coming up listening to songs with NO dynamics (loudness wars) who not only don't have an interest in technical profficiency, but they have no interest in dynamic music. Awesome.

So I look forward to more solo-less music, with nothing new to say, blaring at me clipped to 0.003 below digital zero. Awesome.

Sorry if this seems GK-like... I just feel fortunate to have come up when I did... but I suppose (before I get flames, as I surely will) that all folks may feel this way (regarding their own "baseline"), regardless of generation.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
jacktheexcynic
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/25 00:01:21 (permalink)
well grunge did have dynamics, even if they were predictable. and one man's solo is another man's wankery, although EVH managed to capture something evocative with their work that few others i've managed to listen to have. eruption will always be the gold standard of solos in my mind.

i think every "new" genre kills something and replaces it with something else. for me, the angst (and some really well-crafted lyrics hiding just under that stereotype) and raw sound were more than enough repayment for putting the last nail in the 80's rock coffin. but indeed, those perceptions are undoubtedly as identical to previous and future generations as they are unique to each genre.

as for the beatles... you may have guessed that i just don't get them. i relate a lot better to simon and garfunkel. and i did say i thought the beatles had a much bigger impact on music, i just don't see their impact on rock in particular as being on the same level as say, led zepplin, jimi hendrix or even nirvana. maybe i'm just defining rock a little too narrowly for a time period when "rock" music was more or less anything with a beat.

- jack the ex-cynic
i8ipop
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/25 00:14:33 (permalink)
What? Who is that directed at? [/quote/]

the OP of course...but on a more serious note. if it's being recorded in the bedroom at the moment the next step would be an outhouse or the phonebooth down the road.

Still raining...still dreaming!
ed97643
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1610
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/25 21:23:13 (permalink)
Jack,

Hat's off to you for your post 48. I hadn't logged on for almost 24 hours, and I totally expected that (when I came back to this topic), a flame war might have happened. Instead you wrote out a thoughtful and introspective post that showed an open mind and thoughtfulness about the topic, making cogent points with good reason behind them. Cheers and respect!

Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 02:41:13 (permalink)
To get the Beatles you have to contrast them as the link between 50s crooning or maybe Elvis and Led Zeppelin. They started out as straight up rock and roll and morphed into modern rock opera with Sgt. Pepper. Today their recordings sound a little thin and possibly uninteresting but taken as a musical link they dominated music from 1962 until 1967. As they began to decline LZ, Hendrix, Clapton and others began to rise. The early metal sound was defined and the Woodstock generation began as well as they began to fade.

Also contrast them to other bands at the time, the Herman Hermits, The Hollies, Dave Clark 5, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Animals etc. The Beatles loomed large against what was then called "Bubble Gum Music". The only real competitor to them in America at the time were the Beach Boys. Interesting as well was the Motown sound going on at the time which was considered black market radio not nearly as big but dominated AM radio. Most of what was considered the underground cool (i.e. hippie music) stuff of the day was found on FM radio. The 60s were an interesting time of musical explosion. The Beatles were by far the most dominating act of the day. Measured against almost 40 years of music that has come since, the sound of their recordings probably sounds as out of date as Mel Torme or Frank Sinatra records sounded to people of the 60-70s era. Then again I don't get John Philip Sousa band music which has no interest to my ears but, in its time, it was the sound of the day.

post edited by Middleman - 2009/02/26 02:52:53

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
jacktheexcynic
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 18:25:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ed97643
Jack,

Hat's off to you for your post 48. I hadn't logged on for almost 24 hours, and I totally expected that (when I came back to this topic), a flame war might have happened. Instead you wrote out a thoughtful and introspective post that showed an open mind and thoughtfulness about the topic, making cogent points with good reason behind them. Cheers and respect!

Ed

thank you ed, i appreciate that. but all it took was replacing your genres and mine with my genres and "new rock" to see where you were coming from

i feel the same way about creed and nickelback and linkin park as you do about nirvana

- jack the ex-cynic
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 18:42:43 (permalink)
Ouch Ouch Ouch!!

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

personally, i think nirvana made a bigger contribution to rock than the beatles, although the beatles undoubtedly had a much bigger impact on music in general. but then i wasn't around for the beatles so my opinion is skewed. if there's a resurgence in early 90's grunge, then sign me up.

jacktheexcynic
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 18:56:16 (permalink)
To get the Beatles you have to contrast them as the link between 50s crooning or maybe Elvis and Led Zeppelin. They started out as straight up rock and roll and morphed into modern rock opera with Sgt. Pepper. Today their recordings sound a little thin and possibly uninteresting but taken as a musical link they dominated music from 1962 until 1967. As they began to decline LZ, Hendrix, Clapton and others began to rise. The early metal sound was defined and the Woodstock generation began as well as they began to fade.

i can definitely see that. in fact, i think it's really a matter for me of the perception of rock - to me the pre LZ stuff is "oldies" and when i think of the beatles i think of "pop" and not "rock". i just hear "i wanna hold your hand" and i'm like "that's not rock." but then in all fairness i don't really know the beatles music like i know led zepplin or 90's grunge, so it's a limited perspective for me.

Also contrast them to other bands at the time, the Herman Hermits, The Hollies, Dave Clark 5, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Animals etc. The Beatles loomed large against what was then called "Bubble Gum Music". The only real competitor to them in America at the time were the Beach Boys. Interesting as well was the Motown sound going on at the time which was considered black market radio not nearly as big but dominated AM radio. Most of what was considered the underground cool (i.e. hippie music) stuff of the day was found on FM radio. The 60s were an interesting time of musical explosion. The Beatles were by far the most dominating act of the day. Measured against almost 40 years of music that has come since, the sound of their recordings probably sounds as out of date as Mel Torme or Frank Sinatra records sounded to people of the 60-70s era. Then again I don't get John Philip Sousa band music which has no interest to my ears but, in its time, it was the sound of the day.

i do think the beatles had probably the biggest impact on popular music in general, i think their experimentation paved the way for that explosion to a large degree. but i would still say that for "modern rock" (i'll qualify that to separate it from "rock 'n' roll"), there's really no question in my mind that led zepplin had the biggest impact, you hear bits and pieces of their stuff in just about every mainstream rock genre.

i actually compare hip-hop and grunge in the sense that their roots were both in a kind of minimalist mindset in terms of production. they both brought a sense of rawness to music that was previously lacking, kind of like steven soderburgh (the movie "traffic") contrasted against jerry bruckheimer (any over-produced, slickly entertaining summer blockbuster).

of course now hip-hop is as over produced and fake as every other genre, and grunge is no more. but my point was to say that nirvana brought a raw element to rock that really contrasted against virtually every rock genre to date - they were not pretentious, they were not psychedelic, they were not shallow and they were not "roots" rock, blues rock or folk "rock". for lack of a better description, they added a serious (angst) introspective dimension to rock that i really believe was nearly untouched to date, except perhaps dylan and hendrix to some degree...

anyway, i really am enjoying this discussion.

edit: had "OT discussion" but was looking at the wrong thread
post edited by jacktheexcynic - 2009/02/26 19:02:58

- jack the ex-cynic
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 19:01:41 (permalink)
If I can add to Mman's thought's here...

I slapped the Beatles White Album on the other day and the thought ran cross me head...."there guys were light-years ahead of their time! The production tricks...the harmonies, the instruments used...light years. Funny thing is I was just a tad too young to listen to them in their prime (I was 5 in '65 and was corn feed on Areosmith, Sabbatt, Floyd, Zepplin, etc etc etc) and I dont really consiter myself a big HUGH fan...but even a casual listen and I'm humbled at the gift they gave to the music word! If we listed the bands that have a musical conntion (that you can hear even today) the list would be lenghty to be sure....

good post

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 22:42:47 (permalink)
Regarding Led Zeppelin, at their peak they only had 3 repeatable AM radio songs i.e. Whole Lotta Love, Stairway to Heaven and Black Dog. This over about 4-5 years. Not even close to the Beatles airplay but they did own underground FM radio of the day. Where they made their legacy was the album sales around all the tours they did. They were tour animals over almost 10 years and this is what made them their millions and legacy. I agree that their legacy spawned a lot of genres i.e. Hard Rock, Metal, Grunge, Hair bands, Black Sabbath and the spin offs from that culture, the list goes on.

There were only a few Beatles type bands which did not last long once the Woodstock Generation came along. Gonna really date myself here but I saw the Beatles in 5th grade also Led Zeppelin in high school. LZ was by far the best concert I have ever experienced.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
jacktheexcynic
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/26 22:51:22 (permalink)
did not know that about their radio play but it does make sense. another reason why i think the beatles had a huge impact on music but not like zepplin had on rock in particular. and when i say impact i mean more influence rather than popularity. i definitely don't dispute that the beatles are probably the most popular band ever.

- jack the ex-cynic
Sonic the Hedgehog
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/27 01:34:33 (permalink)

It's hard to make such comparisons across the years. Without Elvis there would've been no Beatles, without the Beatles there would've been no Led Zep, etc...
Without taking anything away from the Fab Four, the Beatles were by far the most progressive pop/rock band ever in that they happened to be in the right place at the right time. If you listen to U2's first album and to their last, the differences aren't as huge as between the Beatles' first and their last. They were in a decade where popular music still had room to grow. Also having Abbey Road, EMI, and willing engineer helped a lot. Everything back then was in full expansion - litterature, politics, economics - and they had all the possibilities open to them.
On a different note, even if I'm not too crazy about their last album, I am happy that ACDC's latest has sold so much and caught everyone by surprise. People still enjoy raw rock and are hungry for catchy riffs that don't come out of a nightclub. This will slowly change things, but alas, very little young bands will be able to capitalize on this.

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/27 15:20:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog

It's hard to make such comparisons across the years. Without Elvis there would've been no Beatles, without the Beatles there would've been no Led Zep, etc...
Without taking anything away from the Fab Four, the Beatles were by far the most progressive pop/rock band ever in that they happened to be in the right place at the right time. If you listen to U2's first album and to their last, the differences aren't as huge as between the Beatles' first and their last. They were in a decade where popular music still had room to grow. Also having Abbey Road, EMI, and willing engineer helped a lot. Everything back then was in full expansion - litterature, politics, economics - and they had all the possibilities open to them.
On a different note, even if I'm not too crazy about their last album, I am happy that ACDC's latest has sold so much and caught everyone by surprise. People still enjoy raw rock and are hungry for catchy riffs that don't come out of a nightclub. This will slowly change things, but alas, very little young bands will be able to capitalize on this.

Absolutely right, you have to put these things in context. Compare The Beatles in 1962 (I Want to Hold Your Hand, Please Please me etc) to just 4 years later and listen to the songs on Revolver (Eleanor Rigby, Taxman, For No-One, Tomorrow Never Knows) - they were developing at an exponential rate, but almost in a vacuum, doing things that no-one else was at the time. That's where their influence has it's root; songwriting and studio experimentation. You could take a 4 year span from almost any other band's career and not hear that much difference from start to finish.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Guitarzan54
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Where do you see popular recorded music in 10 years? 2009/02/27 16:31:47 (permalink)
haha......you guys are really depressing the hell out of me! LOL

Call me a hopeless Music Romantic but - I don't think, that in just 10, 20 or even 100 years time, any of this is about to come to pass. Lyrics will ALWAYS be important. It's how we express ourselves. That will never go away. They'll just become more profound to the era their written in/for.

As for MUSIC......no way the computer replaces the MUSICIAN. Music is driven by the musician. The Musician dies....the computer dies.

You're talking about souless music....which, of course, is a oxymoron.

Without a Soul - music would cease to exist. (see Hip-Hop circa 2020 - lol)

The computer is a huge "instrument"....but no computer will ever replace the HEART.

I don't think it's anything we'll ever have to worry about.

As for radio, on the other hand.......it's already souless, and has no heart.

As for music itself....it's just a matter of time before another FAB-4 comes along and changes the world as we know it.

It's inevitable. Always has been - Always will be.

The rest of us non-geniuses are just riding the coat-tails of the great ones that came before us.

....that's why we spend all day responding to threads like this. .....

THE GUNS OF HELL!!! --> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928547
---
Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002 / SP3
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
---
Cakewalk Home Studio 9
Line 6 POD UX2 Pod Farm

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1