Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DerGeist
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 329
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/22 08:34:53 (permalink)
A few seconds of grime would make you pray for grunge. Its like really fast bad rapping done by white english kids. That ought to inflame the grimies.

Music is like the ear canal -- stay with me, I'm going somehwere with this. Most of the time its self cleaning. A bunch of crap builds up but eventually it gets pushed out. But sometimes, someone needs to jab a big ole Q-tip in there and dig the crap out.

Punk has become a common q-tip for the last 30 years or so. The first wave of punk came along when people got sick of things like pink floyd. Grunge came along when people got sick of metal.

Country music is the other traditional q-tip (unless you were making country music in the first place in which case you probably need to go the pop/rock/religion. When things get so fancy you can't stand it anymore -- go country. The Rolling Stones have an amazing instinct for when they needed to go a little country.

Country and punk the ennamas (mixing metaphors here) of modern music. Once the crap gets so bad drop in some country or punk to unjam the machine (metaphor #3).

Really, we actually need music to get worse. Bad enough that someone reaches for the q-tips or whatever the cure for my last metaphor was.
moosetex
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 03:20:53 (permalink)
Soul metal
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 11:48:53 (permalink)
I'd hate to think of music as a Punk ass enema but I know what you're saying. LMAO!
I always revert to folk and classical when i need a "Qtip"

Craig DuBuc
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 15:27:11 (permalink)
Listening to you old guys (I include myself in THAT category) complain about contemporary music sounds just like folks lamenting the degenerate rock as presented by the Beatles and Stones. The same tune sung by those who thought the Duke was Satan, that jazz was the devil's music. The fact that I share your perspective doesn't alter the fact that we sound like a bunch of old fogies. Pop? Gag me. Country? Gone for good, what passes for country is just pop with a twang. Even punk is mostly just loud whining, lacking the political bent it used to embrace

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 15:41:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mcourter

Listening to you old guys (I include myself in THAT category) complain about contemporary music sounds just like folks lamenting the degenerate rock as presented by the Beatles and Stones. The same tune sung by those who thought the Duke was Satan, that jazz was the devil's music. The fact that I share your perspective doesn't alter the fact that we sound like a bunch of old fogies. Pop? Gag me. Country? Gone for good, what passes for country is just pop with a twang. Even punk is mostly just loud whining, lacking the political bent it used to embrace

I quite like skiffle, as long as it's not too loud...
post edited by jamesg1213 - 2009/01/23 15:45:34

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 15:59:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

You know the road is coming to an end when everything is a parody of itself. Beam my up Scotty!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 17:00:49 (permalink)
well I'm old... but I listen to Public Enemy 24/7 whenever I have a marathon 6 day 3d animation gig.

I'm still trying to figure ot whats upo with Radiohead? :-)

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/23 17:08:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

The world is changing, I can feel it in the water. <-- (famous quote from a movie). Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? Are there there turbulent times ahead? Where will music go now?

I like to think that some small part of it will go here:

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Where is the world going from this pint- I mean point 2009/01/24 23:09:57 (permalink)
Yes indeed, and be a " pleasure " to hear. But I was really refering to the shift in the overall attitude of everyone who creates music in response to cultural changes. The wild 60's and 70's were replaced by the techno 80's and new forms of "beat" music and Disco,( excuse me for using that word ). Entire segments of American and international culture have followed different music as the beat and rythm of their life. Only a small segment listens to it all. All the reminiscense and comparing of styles is certainly part of the process of new formation of recombination and aspirence to a new order of thought in music. After reading the replies here I will never think of F# the same way again. Where is the tide in the sea of music?

Craig DuBuc
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1