Where to buy high quality soundfonts??

Author
jhonvargas
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 371
2004/02/25 14:03:10 (permalink)

Where to buy high quality soundfonts??

Hi:

I have been using VSampler as a sound font player and I am interested on buying "high quality" sound fonts. Actually I am in need of brass sounds (trumpet, trombone and enssemble mainly) for pop and latin music. Currently I am using some free soundfonts I found in the net but most of them are, well, poor sounding.

Do you know of about a good vendor for high quality sound fonts???

Thanks...John

9 Replies Related Threads

wgrupp
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 14:18:06 (permalink)
    These guys are pretty good. I have their 24M GM replacement - major improvement over what comes with the SB cards.

http://www.sonicimplants.com/
    Nathan Shane
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 224
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 14:25:18 (permalink)
    You can also go to http://www.soundfonts.com which I believe is another website for the Sonic Implants soundfonts.

Then there is also the "official" EMU/Soundblaster site. they have soundfonts with sounds from some of the older EMU Proteus and other modules available for purchase/download.
    < Message edited by Nathan Shane -- 2/25/2004 2:27:40 PM >
    WFTurner
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 15:01:16 (permalink)
    I have to second Sonic Implants. I bought some of their brass, woodwinds, strings to hold and satisfy me on the short term till I can afford and decide on one of the first class orchrestra type sample cds and they're really not all that bad.

I grabbed a hofner bass set for $11.95 that is one of the best sampled basses I've ever heard or used.
    < Message edited by WFTurner -- 2/25/2004 3:04:17 PM >

William F. Turner
    songwriter
    My Music

Craig Anderton's SSS
    My other favorite forum
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 15:02:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jhonvargas

Hi:

I have been using VSampler as a sound font player and I am interested on buying "high quality" sound fonts. Actually I am in need of brass sounds (trumpet, trombone and enssemble mainly) for pop and latin music. Currently I am using some free soundfonts I found in the net but most of them are, well, poor sounding.

Do you know of about a good vendor for high quality sound fonts???

Thanks...John

Since you are using Vsampler, you have the ability to play Akai samples as well. There are some great deals on Akai libraries to be had secondhand (Ebay for example) as those afflicted with Giga-fever dump their "obsolete" Akai discs, often for a fraction of what they sold for just a couple years ago. Many of these Akai libraries are top-notch, and were the standard before Gigasampler came into being.

Something to think about.

JD
    BOPPER
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 15:05:17 (permalink)
    Of all the soundfonts I've tried (and I've searched the web quite a bit) I like Sonic Implants the best. All of the free ones I've found on the web lack a "roundness" to them. They sound muddled and "flat" in comparison. I've even purchased some on Ebay that I never ended up using.

Note to SB Audugy2 soundcard users: Never buy the Sonic Implants GM Wavetable soundfonts. Your card already has a very good GM bank. I A/B'd the two after recently purchasing the SI bank for $80 and couldn't hear a quality difference. (Hey, something good to say about our card!)
    jhonvargas
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 371
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 16:46:48 (permalink)
    Thanks all. I have tried some Sonic Implants soundfonts before and did not like them very much. First, I have used some free soundfonts from SI and they are terrible; then I bougth a downloadable version of "Symphonic Strings" and do not find them very useful, even I saw (in VSampler) that they are 22050 Khz/16 bits samples and this can somehow explain why they do not sound very good. So I am afraid that all SI products are similar and then my money will be totally wasted. So, guys, do you really recommend Sonic Implants as a good sample manufacturer??? Probably I got what I paid for (free or cheap). Thanks...
    JerGoertz
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 18:39:07 (permalink)
    I got the Sonic Implants "Silk Road" (Asian/Indian instruments combo-pack) and Atsia (African Talking Drums), although in Kontakt format.

My experience has been mixed. As far as sound quality and production quality of the samples, I would say they are excellent. I'm no pro, but I've heard bad soundfonts and sampler banks, and these don't sound like that. They have that "roundness" (fullness?) that BOPPER referred to. However, they wouldn't load into the initial version of Kontakt that I had (1.21 maybe?) and didn't work until I upgraded to 1.5. SI didn't know there was a version conflict and I had to find this out on my own. Secondly, I've noticed at least one place where the sample looping is just bad... very noticeable click.

So, overall I'd rate my experience with SI as a flat "good". I've heard others say good to great things about their sample libraries and the company, so I'd recommend you at least give them a shot.
    rgfors
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1068
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 18:46:09 (permalink)
    Hello John,

I will jump in on the Sonic Implants SF2s as well. If you follow my link to my website, you can hear several songs with the SI brass SF2s. The trumpets sound excellent IMO....

Randy
    Listen to my "stuff" at:
    http://www.21st-parallel.com
    View my pictures at:
    http://www.justshootmestudios.com
    WFTurner
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Where to buy high quality soundfonts?? 2004/02/25 20:11:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jhonvargas

Thanks all. I have tried some Sonic Implants soundfonts before and did not like them very much. First, I have used some free soundfonts from SI and they are terrible; then I bougth a downloadable version of "Symphonic Strings" and do not find them very useful, even I saw (in VSampler) that they are 22050 Khz/16 bits samples and this can somehow explain why they do not sound very good. So I am afraid that all SI products are similar and then my money will be totally wasted. So, guys, do you really recommend Sonic Implants as a good sample manufacturer??? Probably I got what I paid for (free or cheap). Thanks...

I bought and dl'ed the Strings from the Orchrestral Implants, they're made from a subset of the bigger Symphyonic Strings. They're all 44k samples. Probably would be nicer having the $449 full version but I can't swing something like that right now so these are very useful for now. I did see where those who purchased an earlier version of this set can upgrade and that the earlier version wasn't made from a sample set of the full blown Symphonic Strings. Perhaps that's what you initially got. 22k samples of strings probably don't cut it.

William F. Turner
    songwriter
    My Music

Craig Anderton's SSS
    My other favorite forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1