Where to install Sonar's add-ons?

Author
Nathan Knight
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
2005/09/18 05:12:12 (permalink)

Where to install Sonar's add-ons?

My C partition is 20 Gigs. Where is the best place to install Sonar's add-ons? It seems the DXis and the plugins and everything only have one possible location upon install (which can be wherever you want...meaning the DXi's are not separate from the other effects when it comes to where you install them). P5V2 is huge with all the synths, All the add-ons fill up my C drive too fast.

Where and how should I install Sonar's add-ons (and P5's for that matter)?

Thanks,
Nathan

3 Replies Related Threads

kz1m9w
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Where to install Sonar's add-ons? 2005/09/18 11:17:16 (permalink)
    Nathan,

I put all my VST's DLLs under C:\Program Files\Cakewalkd\Cakewalk VST Adapter. (or something like that). The point is, they can actually go on the C: drive - they aren't that big. This includes Sampletank, Sonik Synth, Dimension, etc..

For the sound sets that some of the bigger VST instruments include - again Sampletank, Sonik Synth, Dimension, etc. - I put those on my D: drive (which is actually a partition of the C: drive). And then, for a one-time setup task, I just point the VST to the right location where those sounds reside. From then on, no problem.

I have an E: drive for dedicated audio and an F: drive for utility purposes too (before anyone points out that as a concern).

Finally, the reason I put the sample sets on the D: drive was for a matter of backup practicality. Having them segregated like this means I don't ever need to bother backing up the D: drive when I take a Ghost backup of my drives, but I can backup evertyhing else that isn't already backed up.

But, I guess the point is you CAN put them where you want.

Best of luck,
    Randy
    post edited by kz1m9w - 2005/09/18 11:25:06
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Where to install Sonar's add-ons? 2005/09/18 13:35:28 (permalink)
    But, I guess the point is you CAN put them where you want.
    This is true. I have mine on a different drive. The downside is that you have to pay attention when you are installing new stuff because it's easy to forget and have things installed willy nilly, scattered all over the place. When I finally rework the DAW, I think I'll go back to a bigger C: drive. It's easier.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Nathan Knight
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Where to install Sonar's add-ons? 2005/09/18 14:20:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answers. Still, how do you install the dll's on the C drive and then have the sound sets go to D? When I install Sonar (for instance), it didn't give me options for installing the dll's in one place and the sounds in another. Isn't P5 like that also upon install?

I already network my 2 DAWs...is it better to have all sound sets on the C drive for networking purposes?

Thanks again,
    Nathan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1