Which Blue Jay drum soundfont do you recommend?

Author
sbenson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
2005/06/01 14:31:19 (permalink)

Which Blue Jay drum soundfont do you recommend?

Hi,
I've heard good things about these drum soundfonts. I notice that there are 5 different sets of them, but I'm not sure which one is best for me. I'm aiming for a "typical" alternative pop sound in my songs (bands like Weezer, Matthew Sweet and Teenage Fanclub, if that helps at all).

I called Sonic Implants and their advice was to listen to the demos, which I did. Beyond that, I thought I'd ask this group and learn from their valuable experience. Does anyone have any recommendation as to which Blue Jay soundfont I should buy?

Thanks,
Sean

4 Replies Related Threads

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Which Blue Jay drum soundfont do you recommend? 2005/06/01 14:59:46 (permalink)
    I picked up Blue Jay Loose Drums and have used them on one project, so far. I really like them, and the price is *so* reasonable. I'd go back for more, no question.

M
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Which Blue Jay drum soundfont do you recommend? 2005/06/01 17:29:43 (permalink)
    I've had the small ambient 1 kit for a while and I like it a lot.The velocity layering seems pretty good,although I am no expert on drum samples.I've actually started using loops more lately, instead of tapping out the samples myself.

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    sbenson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Which Blue Jay drum soundfont do you recommend? 2005/06/02 12:41:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Frank & M for the info, I appreciate it, I'll have to check out one of these sets of soundfonts and go from there.

Frank, if you're looking for good loops, you may want to look at Drums on Demand. I've been using them for a year or so and they have been quite good.
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Which Blue Jay drum soundfont do you recommend? 2005/06/02 21:24:26 (permalink)
    I have those also.I wound up buying Vol. 1-4 when they had some specail offer awhile back.I posted a song on thier website(the 1st one I finished using thier loops) about 2-3 weeks ago.I like them alot.I have 2 more I'm finishing up now (waiting for the vocalist...so what else is new..).
    I seem to be making more progress with songs,and they sound alot smoother to me with loops than using midi and samples.My biggest beef is probably with the hi hats.No matter what I do,they always sound canned.I have heard some people who have really made midi with samples sound excellent however,so it's probably not the fault of the equipment,but the operator.
    I guess there is no real substitute for a good drummer and a well mic'ed kit and room.Everything is a trade off I guess.(live drummers have drawbacks too.I mean,thier late most of the time,they drink all of your beer,and hit on your wife/girlfriend. )

Frank

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1