Helpful ReplyWhich Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds?

Author
TheOther
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2012/02/02 20:54:09 (permalink)

Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds?

I'm using Sonar X1. I'd like to load in a Cakewalk Soft Synth. The Synths I can load are Cakewalk TTS-1, Z3TA+, Cakewalk Sound Center, Dimension LE.

Which synth (or another Cakewalk/Roland synth) has an upgrade (Z3TA+2, Dimension Pro, etc.) that has the most realistic orchestra instuments?

Sounds like what I get from my Roland Sound Expansion Module M-OC1 (Orchestra) (this is a hardware module) are what I'm looking for in a Software Synth.

Thank you,
Stephen.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/03 00:15:40 (permalink)
Dimension Pro

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
r_baeyens
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/05 13:05:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Yes, Dimension Pro has some sweet orchestral sounds.

Another possibility is to stick with your Dimension LE version, and buy the 'Studio Orchestra' soundset from 'Digital Sound Factory'.
 http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/cakewalk-dimension/new-volume-05-dsf-studio-orchestra-cakewalk-dimension/product_info.php/cPath/49/products_id/295 (also available from the Cakewalk shop).
TheOther
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/09 21:47:39 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestion to go with Dimension Pro.  I upgraded to Sonar X1 Producer which included Dimension Pro 1.5, and will consider the Studio Orchestra soundset from Digital Sound Factory.

Best,
Stephen.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/10 00:04:23 (permalink)
Cool.  Enjoy.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
TheOther
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/11 10:13:13 (permalink)
r_baeyens

Yes, Dimension Pro has some sweet orchestral sounds.

Another possibility is to stick with your Dimension LE version, and buy the 'Studio Orchestra' soundset from 'Digital Sound Factory'.
 http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/cakewalk-dimension/new-volume-05-dsf-studio-orchestra-cakewalk-dimension/product_info.php/cPath/49/products_id/295 (also available from the Cakewalk shop).

Thanks for the suggestion to get Studio Orchestra.  I did, and I am very pleased with the sounds.

I went through the Cakewalk website to get the software.  It was an unpleasant suprise to discover that it's not possible through the Cakewalk website to get physical disks (like I did with the Sonar Producer upgrade), but a 1.5GB download only.  And in talking to Cakewalk sales (after I placed my online order, that was *my* mistake), Cakewalk sales reported that Cakewalk does not offer physical disks for its third-party software, and that it's not possible to cancel a Cakewalk download order once it's been placed to get a refund. 

Those still on dial-up internet access or other low-speed Internet access be warned.

Checking at the Digital Sound Factory website I saw that Studio Orchestra is offered at the same price of $149.95 USD as on the Cakewalk website, but it wasn't obvious if even the Digital Sound Factory site was offering Studio Orchestra in a boxed version.  Perhaps I should have checked with other vendors before buying to see if anyone offers a boxed version.

I was able to locate a computer with fast Internet access and download the software. A USB stick got Studio Orchestra installed onto my laptop computer.  So all has ended well.

Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/16 20:27:34 (permalink)
TheOther

Those still on dial-up internet access or other low-speed Internet access be warned. 

but the vast majority of users aren't now on dial up.. even in rural places.. I'd love to know the ratio of it now.. once you go to DSL etc you'll think dial up was the dark ages.  I'm sure if they took a poll on here, you'd find it was maybe 10-20% at most (thats being generous)

even with low speed dsl / broadband you can use things like freedownloadmanager (.org) which will grab it over night and also switch off ya pc when done. as I used to when I first got ADSL which was 150k a second which is now 1000k a second :)

if you have a friend or know someone that goes to say a Uni etc.. they normally have fast connections, and well a USB pen drive can easily solve such issues.

not being funny, all audio stuff that uses samples a lot,  your gonna find has massive files... and if your gonna use dial up and can't buy it from the shop it means you may miss out on some gems.

I can understand why companies don't offer boxes .. more and more

1) the amount of space boxes take
2) the production cost

esoundz do offer a backup disk , if you pay for it.. it's a cdr etc. 

I do think boxes and "real" products will become a thing of the past regarding software BUT that also affects pro-audio shops I visit.. so tricky one really.

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/02/17 13:49:01 (permalink)
And of course all servers along the way are always upgraded with the latest updates to not allow viruses and trojans and such ---- NOT! (if you have to download with your anti-virus software off (or firewall).

ruk@hughes.net
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/03/11 20:40:23 (permalink)
Pardon me, but if you want orchestral sounds, you should hire an orchestra...
They made what were called orchestrators for a while, "Crumar" made one that blew everything else away. We took one on the road in the early '80s.  As far as I know, you need a special type of processor to do them.  Elsewise, most electronic orchestral noise is comparable, considering your own speaker and PC OS.  The biggest problem I have had is in the MIDI instrument stack, with one device overwriting another one.  Where, in my case, the electric guitar was being played as a keyboard synth in my PC emulation.  
I think I might just leave out the PC as much as possible in my next recording session, and see what I can do with the stuff I have. 
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/03/14 14:58:34 (permalink)
ruk@hughes.net

Pardon me, but if you want orchestral sounds, you should hire an orchestra... 
heck why not buy them all lunch also..

your kiddng, why do you think films etc. use Prague's ochestra etc? coz it's *FAR* cheaper than recording in other part of europe

Kevin Lee
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/03/16 11:45:29 (permalink)
Garritan pocket Orchestra and Expansion Packs in Dimension Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S O R R Y        F O R            U G L Y             E N G L I S H

2.8GHz, Intel Core i7 i7-640M, 4GB DDR3, ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 640GB
Keebo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/03/17 00:15:36 (permalink)
I feel your pain as I was not long ago dial up only at 16.something download speed and that sucked big ones when it came to big downloads. I finally sucked it up and bought into the big DSL (out in the country) and have been happy ever since. Folks in the big cities have it made versus us in the middle of nowhere. Back on topic, Garritan pocket Orchestra and Expansion Packs in Dimension Pro work very well for my purposes. Let me guess, Firefox is not formatting this properly.

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64 bit
Sonar 8.5.3 Producer 32/64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2012/03/23 12:56:40 (permalink)
GPO 4 elite for $79

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Widetrack
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 310
Re:Which Cakewalk/Roland Software Synth has the most realistic Orchestra/Instrument sounds 2015/01/14 18:05:09 (permalink)
If you can find one, and don't mind hardware as opposed to software, the Kurzweil k2000 or k2600 with its after-market Orchestral ROM produces magnificent orchestral sounds: strings, brass, winds, & perecussion.

The quality of the samples and programs may have been surpassed in the 30 or so years since its release, but it still sounds great.

Very good discussion at 
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/790762-kurzweil-k2000-still-worth-film-scoring.html
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1