Which Monitors for Sonar ??

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
netstat
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 323
RE: Which Monitors for Sonar ?? 2005/10/12 14:43:06 (permalink)

Mahalo, Jan
Nate
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Which Monitors for Sonar ?? 2005/10/12 21:59:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b3gsus@msn.com

No, Tandy is what he meant, Tannoy is a completely different Monster. I have a pair of the Tannoy PBM8s that I bought new in 1991 that were considered to be one of the most Transparent Monitors in it's price range, I still love em but I need some replacement speakers that from what I understand, cost more than their worth! Tandy was sold through Radio Shack & other places but I most often recall seeing them there! Wildman
I assumed you meant tannoy :-)

I have a pair of PBM8's too. Last year I poped the woofer in one of them...Orange County Speaker has exact replacements...and I'm back in business. I replaced both woofers...IIRC they only cost about $125 for both...something like that.

Orange County Speaker
Quasar
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
RE: Which Monitors for Sonar ?? 2005/10/12 23:52:07 (permalink)
As I look to slowly improve a humble home studio DAW, I'm sitting here with a pair of $30 Labtecs, which makes HeatherHaze's cans sound like a viable upgrade. (BTW, a brilliantly funny/poetic/ Martha Stewartish satirical post. I about hit the floor. Thank you.)

Monitor threads always seem to be controversial, as there are two schools of thought: One camp is always saying that the $150-$250 Behringers, Alesis, M-Audios etc., are great, especially for the money, while the other camp claims that this is one area where- in terms of cost- you absolutely cannot cut corners. There doesn't appear to be a continuum. So someone on a budget only learns that if you don't have beaucoup d'argent de dépenser$$$$$, you're just throwing your cash away.

So I look for another forum thread that asks "What's the least expensive monitor I can buy that doesn't sound like total crap?"
while listening to the Biograph-released live version of Visions of Johanna on 30$ Labtecs.
post edited by Quasar - 2005/10/13 00:01:13
Nate
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Which Monitors for Sonar ?? 2005/10/13 21:31:50 (permalink)
Monitor threads always seem to be controversial,

I disagree. Monitor threads maybe chalk full of opinions...but they aren't controversial.

as there are two schools of thought: "What's the least expensive monitor I can buy that doesn't sound like total crap?"

The whole driver in nearfield monitor purchases thesed days is *cash outlay*...after you get past a budget... that it's just a matter of preference.

As to what is the minimum point of diminishing returns is...hard to say...but I would venture that it is the speaker with which you can no longer discern the audio of ( and therefore not mix them correctly) your songs. That might be all the way down to iTunes Power Pack speakers....

IOW's I've seen some genius golden eared fellows hit the mark with the cheap Alesis Monitors...becuase that was all that was available at the time...Once they oriented themselves to sound..and learned what to compensate for...they produced great mixes. Talent rules.

tor
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 852
RE: Which Monitors for Sonar ?? 2005/10/14 16:23:41 (permalink)
ATC monitors, from their professional series, nothing touches them........
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1