Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture?

Author
zblip2@gmail.com
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
2017/07/12 02:52:27 (permalink)

Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture?

Hi
I guess I shoud learn to program a flagship synth. I have only time to learn one. Which of the two should I learn? Which one offers the most flexibility and is the most versatile?
I already have Z3TA+ original... Is it good enough to go a long way? What does the version 2 offer more?
I Already have NI Massive... How does it compare with the Cakewalk stuff?

Thanks for any input

10 Replies Related Threads

zblip2@gmail.com
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/12 03:26:28 (permalink)
    Stil me here... I went through the presets of Rapture (not Pro) and Z3TA+ (one) and here are my feelings;

Rapture: Lots of bizzare sond effects not really musical... All the first level things are not my cup of tea. I do not know what I would do with such sounds in my music. Maybe the patches are more musical in the PRO version, maybe you guys could tell me. But the Rapture (not Pro) dosent inspire me.

Z3ta+: Now that is more what I like. I think the patches sound deep and warm, and much of them have a definite intention behind them. It seems to have "Its Sound" and what it does, it does well. I wonder what version 2 has to offer? If it is as musical but at the sane time brodens the pallet, it could be the one for me!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/12 04:06:19 (permalink)
    It seems that you have answered your own question. Both products have demos. If you want to hear some of the new Rapture Pro content without messing with the demo, listen to the programs in Rapture Session. They all came from Rapture Pro content.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 00:56:28 (permalink)
    If you prefer the sound in z3ta+, then definitely check out the demo of version 2.  They share the same synth engine, but the UI has been updated, as well as the preset browser, to make the workflow a bit easier.

z3ta+ is really a virtual analog synth, with the waveshaping features added, so you can do a lot with it.

Rapture, and its close cousin, Dimension Pro, are really "sampling" synths.  I also like the sounds in Rapture, because I happen to like pads and weird ambient sounds. 

The cool thing about Rapture is that you can load wav files into it, and create your own sounds, so it is a bit more of a "sampling" synth.  In that sense it shares some overlap with Dimension Pro, which was also created by the same developer.  Rapture Pro is an attempt to combine Rapture and Dimension Pro into a unified synth and leverage their common core as a sampling synth.

But z3ta+ stands on its own a classic soft synth.

And Z3TA+2 is still on this list!
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the-50-best-vst-au-plugin-synths-in-the-world-today-621799

So if you are looking for lead sounds and a bit of virtual analog then Z3TA+2 is probably the ticket for you.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 01:00:53 (permalink)
    Rapture's my baby.

Z3ta2 gets toyed with.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 10:00:51 (permalink)
    When I have installed "bug Sonar package" for the first time, I was also wondering what is the difference between all these "synths". Abacab has already described the difference.

Z3TA+2 is a "face lifted" version of Z3TA+ classic. For my taste, while the functionality is close to the same, it is simpler to learn (and operate on hi resolution small screen). I mean if you have learned one version it is rather simple to use the other, but for me the GUI of 2 is better (not only from aesthetic angle).

Rapture/DimPro vs Rapture Pro is in the same direction. But since that is a "combination" with added features, it is harder to switch between Rapture and Rapture Pro interfaces.

I am a noob, I feel distinct "character" in Z3TA  but not in Rapture/DimPro/RP. Whatever I try to tweak inside later, the sound stays almost "lifeless". But I repeat, the reason is most probably sits opposite from the computer...  

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    anydmusic
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 13:22:33 (permalink)
    Personally I'd say that they are different enough to justify mastering both.

Graham
    Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
    Cubase 9.5
    Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
    Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
    IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
    Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
    Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 14:43:42 (permalink)
    Good free resources for learning these synths! 

The original z3ta+ was one of the example synths used by Simon Cann in his "How To Make a Noise" book http://noisesculpture.com/

Book is available as a free ebook, with patches.

http://noisesculpture.com...nthesizer-programming/

That is an excellent primer for synth programming. The other synths he covers in that book are fairly dated by now, but he seems to give more than enough examples using z3ta+ to follow along with.

He also released A FREE ebook with the chapters from "Cakewalk Synthesizers, from presets to power user, 2nd Edition" that his publisher could not fit in the printed book.  Check out the link to the download package at this link:  http://noisesculpture.com/cakewalk-synthesizers/

The download package includes the full ebook (255 pages, Chapter 14-29) as well as the sample programs from the book.

Topics include:

sfz and sfz+
    Cyclone Groove Tool
    Cyclone Groove Tool: Creating Your Own Grooves
    RXP REX Player Groove Box
    DropZone Drag and Drop Sampler
    Creating Sounds in DropZone
    Square I
    DreamStation
    Roland GrooveSynth
    Creating Sounds in PSYN II
    Creating Sounds in Pentagon I
    Creating Sounds in Z3TA+
    Creating Sounds in Dimension and Dimension Pro
    Creating Sounds in Rapture
    Power Users at Work
    Frank Genus
    Part I: Basses ....................(Rapture)
    Part II: Keys ......................(Rapture)
    Part III: Leads ....................(Rapture)
    Ruben Nievas
    Ruben’s Productions
    Ruben’s Music
    Ruben’s Programs ...............(Dimension Pro)
    Francesco Silvestri
    Francesco’s Programs...........(z3ta+)

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 15:14:27 (permalink)
    They are both nice synths.  Rapture Pro is a combo of Dimension Pro and Rapture.  DP and Rapt use the same engine for their samples, but different sample batches.  Dim was for "acoustic sounds," Rapture for more electronic.  and Rapture added step sequences.  Rapture Pro is a combo of the two libraries with mostly a Rapture look and some performance enhancements. 

By all means use Z3TA is you prefer it.  There is no wrong answer here.  I will say that Rap P is a very clean, anti-aliasing sound.  It cuts.  Z3TA (and other VAs like Alchemy, etc.) sound more analog - thicker.  Having both (or just the ones in SONAR) gives you a wide stance in sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ChazEd
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/14 16:45:59 (permalink)
    Here's what I think:

I use both of them and love both of them.

If you want a more analog behavior, them Z3ta+ 2 is the way to go, because you can use the Drift Knob to emulate a "slight out of tune" sound that's known to all old real analog synths.

And there's the Burst Knob, that adds a "pop" on the attack (kinda like a transient plugin does). Works for me for some plucks and percussive sounds.

And them there's Rapture Pro, like others already said, is more of a sample player.  I like it's step sequencer a lot. You can do a one-finger arp with lots of modulation (you can do personalized arps in Z3ta+ 2, but can't do step sequenced cutoff, resonance, pitch, etc, without using DAW's automation or live with static or random LFO's).

Both can do stereo-wide supersaws (yes, I like supersaws, so knock it off! LOL!), but both do it differently:
    • Z3ta+ 2: both filter's pan need to be far way from each other, and the oscillator need to be feed into both filters. Switch to multi mode and then adjust Spread Knob to taste.
    • Rapture Pro: load any saw, and in the multimode section, choose between 3V, 5V, 7V and 9V. Then adjust Detune Knob to taste. And you're free to use the filters the way you want.
    I'm not a synth wizard (by far, LOL!), but I think both are easy to learn. i still have some confusion with Z3ta+ 2 modulation matrix, but I'll get there, maybe someday LOL!

This is just my opinion on both, I hope Cakewalk keep developing them in the future (Z3ta+ 2 is 6 years old I think).

Hope this helps.

Ableton Live 10 Suite x64
    Korg Legacy Collection, FXpansion Tremor, Z3ta+ 2 & Rapture Pro
    Win 10 x64 (Still knocking on wood...)
    i7 4770, GA-H97-D3H, 16 GB, 7200 1TB + 2TB, RX 580, CX600V2
    UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
    zblip2@gmail.com
    Re: Which Synth should I invest my time in? z3ta+ 2 or Rapture? 2017/07/16 22:21:23 (permalink)
    thaks so much for your input! I downloaded both and studying them...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1