Helpful ReplyWhich way does Sonars pro chan flow?

Author
coltpeacemaker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2018/04/18 06:09:19 (permalink)

Which way does Sonars pro chan flow?

G/day guys and girls i was wondering if anyone knows which way the pro channel flows? Is it top to bottom or bottom to top? I've notice when a fx is inserted it loads at the bottom! 
Cheers.....
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/18 06:39:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2018/04/19 16:37:37
top to bottom just like the FX Racks
most recent signal flow diagram is here

To insert an effect above the current one, right click on its title bar then insert the new module.
coltpeacemaker
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/18 10:27:46 (permalink)
Awesome stuff thanks for that its a great help mate!
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/18 11:01:08 (permalink)
The entire Prochannel strip can be set in a Pre or Post position as well. By default, I believe that it is in the Pre position and has to be set to Post if that's where you want it. Mine is almost always set to Post.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/18 12:45:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/04/18 14:57:48
I think what most people fail to understand is that the PC is just
another VST FX Bin with a Proprietary interface.  It really is nothing 
special, other than "it looks kewl" and is user friendly because
it keeps the Plugin interface "visible".  It's a very good idea.  Sadly,
Cakewalk "dropped the ball" on it, as they could have made a lot
more modules for it, and brought in more "Third Party Supporters",
but "rested on their laurels" (just MO).

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/19 14:20:16 (permalink)
Perhaps their will be new opportunities now under BandLab.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/19 16:51:15 (permalink)
I'm not so sure it was a case of cakewalk resting on laurels.  It may have been simply a case of the the same third party support  issues cakewalk suffered across the board.  Aside from the original zeta+, third party support for cakewalk products have always lagged. It's always a hard sell to support a proprietary format unless that format becomes so widely popular that it is almost a standard.  An example of that is making sound libraries for Kontakt. Convincing manufacturers to make an extra variation of a plugin that can only be used on a DAW when users of that DAW will obviously be content with the vst version is a challenge. I can't imagine that there are cakewalk users who are bypassing waves, steven slate, izotope, or sooundtoys plugins becaues there is no pro channel version. I think the initial concept of pro channel  was to provide the simple, basic essentials a console provides; eq, console emulation and compression. All of which shipped with pro channel.
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/20 18:52:45 (permalink)
Gotta agree with Larry. I think they dropped the ball on the ProChannel
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 02:21:24 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I'm not so sure it was a case of cakewalk resting on laurels.  It may have been simply a case of the the same third party support  issues cakewalk suffered across the board.  Aside from the original zeta+, third party support for cakewalk products have always lagged. It's always a hard sell to support a proprietary format unless that format becomes so widely popular that it is almost a standard.  An example of that is making sound libraries for Kontakt. Convincing manufacturers to make an extra variation of a plugin that can only be used on a DAW when users of that DAW will obviously be content with the vst version is a challenge. I can't imagine that there are cakewalk users who are bypassing waves, steven slate, izotope, or sooundtoys plugins becaues there is no pro channel version. I think the initial concept of pro channel  was to provide the simple, basic essentials a console provides; eq, console emulation and compression. All of which shipped with pro channel.

I fall into the category of bypassing other manufactures, for a ProChannel preference. I just have the one waves VST, the Schepps Omni, and that was bought as a back up if my Sonar went down (Pre BadLabs arrival). I have all but the Gate and Softube (iLok) options. This has led me to become a Boz customer and I have a few  of his non ProC format VSTs too as a result. I do agree with you though in general thugh. But if other develpers had made some of theirs ProC, then if the options were a a)Renown Developer with ProC and b)Waves very similar option, but no ProC. Then  maybe a few would lean the other way. I like the CA2A, so I have no need f Wave LA2A option.

Some formats look a great match, Kuassa, Plug&Mix. KiloHearts in particular make thre's in the Reaper Rack prprietary format s maybe more open to the idea.. They would double the range, provide very different options in line with the VKFX ProChannels.

A good VU meter was often suggested, with threads that included Klanghelm. He has some free versions that provide just the key functions, the paid for giving much greater access that wouldn't fit ProC format, But as a flyout it would be great. There seems two a approaches to doing that;

1. The ProChannel is a full version, but is separate view, that can launch the main view. So you launch adjust and the setting remain in the ProC
2. The ProChannel is just a FXChain but with the a Klanghelm skin. This seems less complicated to me to have set up. We can already do part of this ourselves.

Kamikaze
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 02:31:19 (permalink)
Some mock ups from over the years

dubdisciple
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 04:48:31 (permalink)
Kamikaze I think there is much more potential for pro channel development. If the cakewalk loyal stick around and newbies latch on due to it being free, the potential customer base may make it worthwhile. Nice mockups btw.
Kamikaze
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 06:34:36 (permalink)
Yeah, BandLabs model, the custmer bass can get really big, and change the prospective for devepers

I've also wondered abut an FXChain Theme Editor.  A sort of modular set up FX chain set up, where you can design a mini GUI

There could be 5 sizes, effectively 5 rows. Within each row you can select if each row contains the optin to contain:
Module options
VU metre
2 controller per row
3 controller per row
4 controller per row
5 controller per row
horizntal fader row

Controller options
knobs -polar, bi polar
switches - 2,3,4,5,6 way

Faceplates Library - 5 sizes of faceplate PNG files, so users can add and design their own.

Althugh a job for Bandlab, once done, 3rd parties wuldn't need to do anything. Users can do it for themselves and share with each others. 

reevant
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 11:22:01 (permalink)
I see the discussion on Pro Channel modules and other branded VSTs. Only recently did I ever use the VST chain in Pro Channel because I wanted to add stuff both in the Pro Channel and look at stuff such as a spectrum analyser and a lufs meter in the fx bay after the pro channel. Seems to work ok. This has me using add ons in the Pro Channel or have I missed somethings?
coltpeacemaker
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 23:26:05 (permalink)
So what's the purpose off using the FX in either pre or post? Can someone give me a example off when id used this! Sorry its been so long since i've used Sonar as i've mostly been on Ableton and have forgotten a lot that i used to know... 
Cheers
dubdisciple
Re: Which way does Sonars pro chan flow? 2018/04/21 23:31:47 (permalink)
coltpeacemaker
So what's the purpose off using the FX in either pre or post? Can someone give me a example off when id used this! Sorry its been so long since i've used Sonar as i've mostly been on Ableton and have forgotten a lot that i used to know... 
Cheers

To make sure I am responding to proper intent of question, are you asking about using fx in general pre or post fader or pro channel specifically?
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1