Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5

Author
Desperate Dan
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1554
2011/01/28 08:10:19 (permalink)

Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5

I have asked this question before but never got an answer.

Who decided to change the Icon/Menu colours after Sonar 5? Sonar 5 was the last Version to have common sense on the GUI design i.e. Dark letters on light Backgrounds. From Version 6 an Active decision was made that White on Grey or worse White on light gray was a good idea for Icons and . Might be pretty but Damn hard to read. Load your Old Sonar 5 You'll see what I mean.

This trend has continued since 2005, someone at Cakewalk needs to take a serious look at this IMHO. You might not agree, that's fine but trying to look like logic on a Mac isn't that important to me as much as the 'Squintability factor'

Whomever designed the Color Menu must have taken hundreds of Man hours to code but it doesn't address the fundamental problem of poor color choices in the GUI design and you can't actually change the colours that are wrong (Icons, Menus etc) I mean looking at X1 now there are Light Gray letters on Dark grey backgrounds and vice verse. Doesn't make sense to me.

For the record, Yes I do wear glasses and I do have 24" Modern LED/LCD Monitor but it's just a strange deicsion. Maybe someone should have spent the Coding time on the colour change menu making Sonar Skinnable instead.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down

5 Replies Related Threads

jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    Re:Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5 2011/01/28 10:06:42 (permalink)
    I dunno but I always figured it was the baker's response to the hue and cry raised by forumites unhappy over the default colors and unable or unwilling to customize. I mean, the clamor was intense!
    I associate the darker look with Steiny products but could be all wet there. As for looking like Logic, I have to change to the X1 Mono preset then play with saturation and brightness to start to get close to how Logic looks. Not as easy on the eyes as Logic but at least i can see things.

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5 2011/01/28 13:19:26 (permalink)
    I loved the way SONAR 5 looked as well.  It was the cries of lost creativity because SONAR didn't look like the EuroDAWs that influenced it I guess.

Wouldn't mind seeing it go back to that style at all.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    Re:Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5 2011/01/28 14:24:14 (permalink)
    I hear you but I won't hold my breath .... Actually, I think all the major daws are pretty amazing and if you can't get the job done it ain't cuz of the color scheme or layout!

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    deswind
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 952
    Re:Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5 2011/01/28 14:44:53 (permalink)
    Yes - more freedom of color and font size would be an awesome modification for Cakewalk to release.

I also like dark lettering on lighter surfaces. 

Choice is good.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Who decided the colour scheme after Sonar 5 2011/01/28 15:05:55 (permalink)
    deswind

Yes - more freedom of color and font size would be an awesome modification for Cakewalk to release.

I also like dark lettering on lighter surfaces. 

Choice is good.

Yes - rather better than dark on dark. 

I feel your pain, Desperate Dan.  In Dec. when X1 came out, one of the first threads I started was about the color--politely asking if we could please have some again?  And then we all found out that the color preferences tool only half work - who knows why a lot of color controls are in there that have no function, unless it was a bug.

It's been a major discussion, major bummer.  We went on so long about it, we got the inevitable backlash of posts saying "Ah shut up already about the color.  Get over it and make music."  blah dee blah.

I still can't stand to look at X1.  I open it less and less often these days, since I'm sticking with 8.5 until X1 actually works right, then I'll give 'er another try.--And here's hoping the colors are fixed in a future update.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1