Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one?

Author
Song Writer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/07/20 20:13:41 (permalink)

Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one?

I have been trying to cut down on the amount of compression I use per track/song/mix etc.

Please do not pay too much attention to the overall performance of this song.

I plan on doing a total re-write and adding vocals later on, especially the lead guitar, that was just playing around and spontaneous recording.

My questions are :

First - Did I over process this? And if so in what way? This is all new to me with this software/hardware?

Second - The first guitar you hear, did it sound ok? If not what does it need?

Here is the link - Songwriters Music

post edited by Song Writer - 2010/07/22 08:33:58

9 Replies Related Threads

Song Writer
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/20 21:07:40 (permalink)
    Whether you like it or not, this was fun for me to do. And the next version is going to only be better!

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/20 21:32:39 (permalink)
    it sounds pretty good.... I'd have to see the wave to talk about compression. it sounds like there is a bit in there... just how much for me....it's easier to see it.

cool tune BTW! I can hear Ozzie conjuring the spirits of the underworld with this...!
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/20 21:34:23

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Song Writer
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/20 21:36:12 (permalink)
    Thank you, whether anybody likes these songs or not, it's all about making friends and that's all that matters.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/20 22:13:44 (permalink)
    you can take a screen shot of the wave...put it in www.photobucket.com and link to it with the insert photo icon...that way, you can post pics of whatever you need to show.

I use it to put up screen shots of my DAW as needed.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/20 23:57:15 (permalink)
    Song Writer,
    Ok, I listened to Strange Dream as you asked. First thing that struck my ears was something strange going on with the drums. Not quite sure what the problem is. If  you have compression on the drums it may be I am hearing to quick of a release, but I am unsure. The second thing that stood out to me was not alot of spread in the stereo field, meaning it sounds as all instruments were put right down the middle. The guitars sounded ok. The clean guitar was slightly out of tune to me. The lead guitar was ok but if you want to try to get rid of some of the fizz sound you were talking about you might try to reduce the distortion effect some. Also on the the bass track try a high pass eq filter around 60k to try to lessen some of the mud. Sorry I can not add more as I am also learning as I go. Keep at it, and do not be afraid to experiment. Also if your recording your guitars in stereo, change to recoding in mono, unless you record stereo effects , then you will want to use two tracks, 1 for left 1 for right.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    tatey39
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/21 01:19:54 (permalink)
    Well done, cool track....... old school Ozzy...!

Only comments I would make; try to double track the rhythm and pan each hard left/right, open up the drums and release any compression on the arpeggiated parts to let the strings ring fully. As an aside, lift that solo out front too, some great playing there.

We're all learnng here, so join the club......

Peace.

Peace costs nothing, so why not hand some out....?
    '04 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Custom Alpine White, '70 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe GT, '70 Gibson Les Paul Cherry SB, Jackson Rhoads RX10D, Burny RLG60SL Slash Model Les Paul, Epiphone Les Paul Goth etc...See where this is going.....
    Dell Studio 500GB, 4GB
    MC5
    '82 JCM800 2204 head
    '09 Haze 15 head and custom made Celestion cabs
    RRT-1 pedal
    Song Writer
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/21 12:26:24 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

you can take a screen shot of the wave...put it in www.photobucket.com and link to it with the insert photo icon...that way, you can post pics of whatever you need to show.

I use it to put up screen shots of my DAW as needed.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am going there now. Do I need to take a pic of the individual .wavs or will just the overall mixdown be enough?

chrome
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/21 13:55:55 (permalink)
    The thing that struck me is that there are timing issues with the guitar.

The drums are way too compressed, the cymbals flutter all over and sound shaky.

Sounds almost like you are running levels close to a limiting effect?

The tune is nice otherwise.

Id go for NO compression. Listen at low volume, comress and adjust gain until you hear all details. Less is more, abandon the loudness wars!

omg, that sounds like som e lame slogan :D

void
    Song Writer
    Re:Why Of Why - Questions about mixing this one? 2010/07/22 08:40:29 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Chrome, I recorded another song yesterday but since I am using a whole lot of flanger I don't know if anyone can tell a big difference, but I can. I followed your advice and used ZERO compression, I also didn't realize that when I was mixing down I had it turned on, I suspected it but missed it for some reason. I also kept the volume levels lower, although I think with my latest tune I still got everything a little too loud.

I will no longer be posting my music on sound click, for some reason when I play my song on there it pauses and starts several times.

My latest song is called "Flanger Candy", for obvious reason if you hear it.

I will be posting all my music at this link - Songwriters Music    It takes a few seconds for the songs to appear and load so please be patient.

I appreciate the information everyone, it has helped a lot.

Songwriter

post edited by Song Writer - 2010/07/22 08:45:06

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1