Why are my guitar pickups humming?

Author
Thomas Campitelli
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 598
2008/01/20 12:09:05 (permalink)

Why are my guitar pickups humming?

I have a Gibson nighthawk guitar that I send into a Line6 POD that goes into an MAudio Firewire 410 and into my computer. My pickups are humming and buzzing loudly these days, although I don't suspect that I am suffering from a bad ground (at least in the guitar/POD/410 combo). This has become a big issue because I want to record a guitar part using one of the single coil selections on my Nighthawk and the buzzing is just awful. Here's what I've done so far:

• Take the POD and my guitar into another room in my apartment, plug them in and listen via headphones. Still outrageously noisy.
  • Take my POD and my guitar to work and listen via headphones. Nice and quiet.
  • Try to record guitar on my computer at work - no go - completely unsuitable for digital audio work. My machine at work is a relatively new Dell, but it can't even play back an MP3 without completely distorting it, let alone record my guitar. No buzzing in the signal chain, however. It makes me realize how important a properly built DAW is. That's a topic for another post, however.

I haven't lived in this apartment too long. Before coming here, I did not have this problem. Fortunately, I will be moving again soon, but I'd like to be able to get some recording done this weekend.

So, what are some probable causes?

• My computer - Unlikely. The guitar buzzes with it off, or in another room.
  • Other electronics in the room - Possibly, but the guitar buzzes even though I am far away
  • Crappy electrical power in the apartment - Possibly. Perhaps my building has a grounding problem. I have a power strip that has an LED on it that indicates wiring faults. It turns red when I plug it in to certain outlets in the apartment.
  • Electromagnetic interference - Possibly. I have some power lines that attach to my building right near my window
  • Bad cords or pickups - Unlikely. Seems like this phenomenon is localized to my apartment.
  • Something else?

Given that I rent here, I cannot rewire anything, nor is my landlord going to give a sh*t whether or not my guitar is buzzing. Is there anything that I can do to fend this problem off, or will I just need to wait till I move to get relief? If it's electromagnetic interference, my guess is that I am out of luck.

Thomas Campitelli
http://www.crysknifeband.com

17 Replies Related Threads

tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 12:33:23 (permalink)
    Hi Thomas-

Something else to consider is the time of year. Depending upon where you live, the air gets very dry at this time of year, and static electricity is usually higher or higher. I was recording bass yesterday via a Tech21 Bass Driver DI, and I had the same problem that you are describing. The last time I recorded bass, I did not have this issue.

Is your recording room/area carpeted? Someone else on the forum can probably offer more insight as to how to discharge if static is your issue. One thing that worked well for me in the past was using a humidifier in my recording area (not the control room).

Of course, all of my above recommendations are only valid if you live in a dry area like I do. If you're in Florida, you probably have a different issue.

BTW. Does the Pod have a battery option? If so, can you try it to see if your buzz goes away? This could help you isolate grounding issues.

Good luck,

Thomas Battaglia
    :wq!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 14:13:26 (permalink)
    Sitting close to a wall full of AC power wiring can cause excess hum in single coils.

There could be a real problem that's related to the LED on your power strip turning red. My guess is that some of the outlets are mis-wired -- reverse polarity is the most common thing that happens there. (There's usually a text label next to each LED that tells you what it means.) Fortunately, this is easy to fix, and you can do it yourself:

1. Identify an outlet with reverse polarity.
    2. Turn off the breaker that feeds the outlet.
    3. Pull the outlet out of the wall.
    4. Swap the white and the black wires.
    5. Put the outlet back in the wall.
    6. Turn the breaker back on.
    7. Plug your power strip into that outlet.
    8. See if that LED is still coming on red.

One thing I should add is that outlets that don't have any of your gear plugged into them won't have any impact on the hum -- outlets that have lamps or nothing at all plugged into them, for example. Still, it's bad to have those wires reversed, from a safety standpoint, so if you decide you don't mind doing it, it wouldn't hurt to knock them all out.
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/01/20 14:31:01
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 16:56:42 (permalink)
    Single coil pickups can pickup EM noise from a variety of sources in the studio.
    1. CRT displays are terrible in this regard
    2. Nearby computers - My Ric 4003 can hum like mad if I'm sitting right next to a DAW.
    3. The M-Audio FW interfaces aren't grounded well... and only the two front Neutrik connectors are balanced. Try running the balanced outs from your POD into the balanced inputs of the FW410.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 19:23:17 (permalink)
    +1 on the CRT displays

It's so obvious that a lot of people miss it when they're trying to troubleshoot or help someone. (I plead guilty.) Thomas, does your work computer have a flat-panel monitor? If so, that might explain why it's so quiet compared to your home rig. The difference in the EMI noise put out by a CRT monitor vs. an LCD is huge. If you sit close and apply a fair amount of gain, a CRT will make even humbuckers hum like crazy.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 19:49:46 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem. It took "months" to determine the root cause. Finally I figured it out. My guitar had "Humbuckers"?
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 20:20:05 (permalink)
    I was going to say, "because they are happy".

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/20 20:21:39 (permalink)
    Your pickups are humming because they don't know the words.
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/21 00:18:23 (permalink)
    > Your pickups are humming because they don't know the words.

This is definitely my favorite answer. I should have guessed that I needed to go over the lyrics with them before recording.

> I was going to say, "because they are happy".

This was a close second.

Both of the displays, home and work, are flat panel LCDs. I remember the days of turning off my monitor when I wanted to record guitar with my old CRT.

Single coil pickups can pickup EM noise from a variety of sources in the studio.
    1. CRT displays are terrible in this regard
    2. Nearby computers - My Ric 4003 can hum like mad if I'm sitting right next to a DAW.
    3. The M-Audio FW interfaces aren't grounded well... and only the two front Neutrik connectors are balanced. Try running the balanced outs from your POD into the balanced inputs of the FW410.

I thought it might be my computer or my interface, but even when I turn my computer off and go into another room in my apartment with just my guitar and my POD I get the crazy buzzing. If I use my humbuckers, things improve, but they are still really noisy. So this would point to a potential problem with my POD, or the guitar. However, at work things were nice and quiet, even when I would boost the gain. I have a suspicion that I am getting bombarded by EM radiation. Cue a Repo Man quote here. It might be coming from nearby outside, or somewhere in an adjacent apartment. As far as I know, my little kidney bean shaped POD 2.0 only has unbalanced outs.

I also don't think it's from the power, at least not in a reversed polarity or bad ground sense. If that were the case, I would assume that rotating back and forth would not greatly influence the sound. If I turn 90 or 180 degrees, the buzzing changes in tone, but doesn't ever really get quiet.

My apartment has hardwood floors and it's in Berkeley, CA. It's not too cold and I am close to the SF Bay. Humidity is usually fine. In fact, winter is the rainy season around here. Even then, I doubt that static would produce constant buzzing or humming.

I think I am just SOL. If only my computer at work didn't suck so badly for audio, I would just record there. If I owned a car, I could pack my entire setup in my vehicle and record at work. However, toting a guitar, computer, and associated peripherals just isn't going to happen on my bike, or the subway.

Thomas Campitelli
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/21 00:56:02 (permalink)

I thought it might be my computer or my interface, but even when I turn my computer off and go into another room in my apartment with just my guitar and my POD I get the crazy buzzing. If I use my humbuckers, things improve, but they are still really noisy. So this would point to a potential problem with my POD, or the guitar. However, at work things were nice and quiet, even when I would boost the gain. I have a suspicion that I am getting bombarded by EM radiation. Cue a Repo Man quote here. It might be coming from nearby outside, or somewhere in an adjacent apartment. As far as I know, my little kidney bean shaped POD 2.0 only has unbalanced outs.

I also don't think it's from the power, at least not in a reversed polarity or bad ground sense. If that were the case, I would assume that rotating back and forth would not greatly influence the sound. If I turn 90 or 180 degrees, the buzzing changes in tone, but doesn't ever really get quiet.

My apartment has hardwood floors and it's in Berkeley, CA. It's not too cold and I am close to the SF Bay. Humidity is usually fine. In fact, winter is the rainy season around here. Even then, I doubt that static would produce constant buzzing or humming.

Have you tried pluggin in a different guitar/bass into the POD?
    You may simply have a ground problem on the guitar. At competent tech could fix that in just a few minutes...
    I know that the POD-XT 'bean' has TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) balanced 1/4" outputs. Not 100% sure about the 2.0... but I'm guessing they're balanced too.
    You might also want to take the guitar to GuitarCenter/etc... and play thru a different POD... just to be sure it isn't the culprit.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/21 18:37:31 (permalink)
    Thomas Campitelli

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that radiated noise from the AC wiring would affect the buzzing differently depending on the angle at which it hits the pickups? In that case, you're right -- but that's not what I was getting at with the reversed polarity. When the polarity of an AC outlet is reversed, the wrong wire is carrying the "hot" signal at 115 volts AC (or thereabouts). Depending on how a product is wired on the inside, it might buzz or hum when connected to other products, especially if those other products are connected to an outlet that is wired correctly.

Once again, Jim has some good advice on trying another guitar or POD -- it's probably easier to take care of one of those than to go rooting around in your AC wiring (unless you're a nutjob like me, I mean).

[Edited for typo, as usual.]
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/01/22 21:16:31
    mwd
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/22 10:37:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Thomas Campitelli ~
  • Take my POD and my guitar to work and listen via headphones. Nice and quiet.

• I have a power strip that has an LED on it that indicates wiring faults. It turns red when I plug it in to certain outlets in the apartment.

You've answered your own question. If you take your guitar to another location and it's fine then it's not the guitar.

You've got bad A/C and I'm guessing it's an old apartment with either no ground or reversed polarity.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/22 13:19:30 (permalink)
    If it was stated already, I overlooked it....You may want to insulate/shield the pickup cavities on the guitar.
    There are shielding kits you can purchase.

Something to check out anyway.
    post edited by spacey - 2008/01/22 16:23:57
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/22 21:03:55 (permalink)
    I've done that a few times, and it seems to roll off the top end. It's usually enough to shield the control cavity and coverplate.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/23 11:39:31 (permalink)
    I've never had to shield mine...I just recently purchased a Tele and
    ran into the craziest thing...static from the pickguard.

I'd lick my fingers and it would stop so thought I'd better find something better 'cause that ain't the answer.
    Got a sheet of "bounce" from the laundry room, rubbed down the guard and like magic, static gone.

I back away from the workstation when I record. Sitting close is noisey.
    post edited by spacey - 2008/01/23 11:41:02
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/23 14:21:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Thomas Campitelli

• My computer - Unlikely. The guitar buzzes with it off, or in another room.

That rules out ground loops, especially if it's just the POD and the guitar on headphones.

• Electromagnetic interference - Possibly. I have some power lines that attach to my building right near my window
    • Bad cords or pickups - Unlikely. Seems like this phenomenon is localized to my apartment.

Most like culprit, after reading the rest. Is there a transformer near where the lines attach to the building? If so, then it's probably a case of strong EMI, and you should move ASAP (JMO).

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/25 23:18:52 (permalink)
    I wouldn't doubt that the polarity on one or more outlets are screwed up, but I have but seven days left in this apartment before I leave. I think I will find the solution to the problem when I am gone.

Thomas Campitelli
    tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Why are my guitar pickups humming? 2008/01/27 12:05:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

Sitting close to a wall full of AC power wiring can cause excess hum in single coils.

There could be a real problem that's related to the LED on your power strip turning red. My guess is that some of the outlets are mis-wired -- reverse polarity is the most common thing that happens there. (There's usually a text label next to each LED that tells you what it means.) Fortunately, this is easy to fix, and you can do it yourself:

1. Identify an outlet with reverse polarity.
    2. Turn off the breaker that feeds the outlet.
    3. Pull the outlet out of the wall.
    4. Swap the white and the black wires.
    5. Put the outlet back in the wall.
    6. Turn the breaker back on.
    7. Plug your power strip into that outlet.
    8. See if that LED is still coming on red.

One thing I should add is that outlets that don't have any of your gear plugged into them won't have any impact on the hum -- outlets that have lamps or nothing at all plugged into them, for example. Still, it's bad to have those wires reversed, from a safety standpoint, so if you decide you don't mind doing it, it wouldn't hurt to knock them all out.

Just a rule of thumb regarding residential electricity (applicable in the US):

"black goes to brass"

You'll notice on your outlet/receptacles that one set of screws and wire retainers on one side is typically brass or gold in color. The other is usually silver in color and of a different material. The rule of thumb is that the black (hot) wire gets connected to the brass/gold side of your receptacle.

Obviously, a home could be improperly wired, but the above is typical for residential installation.
    post edited by tfbattag - 2008/01/27 12:21:01

Thomas Battaglia
    :wq!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1