Why are some people so foul with every response?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 11:11:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tallsomeone

The jerks are clear to see. They are here all the time, being what they think is clever and keenly aloof.

How do some of them have that much time to be here on this forum?

It takes it out of being helpful and straight into petty girlie crap.

Oh man...some people have no sense of humor. I post helpful posts as well, Tallsomeone. I hate being disliked for being me...I HATE it!!!
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 11:23:41 (permalink)
I always used to say that -- when you have a parade, those who want to be noticed will ask to be at the head of the parade. Big splash.

One cannot know the psyche of every user on the forum, but I have summized that many people use forums (as well as other avenues in life, like pet stores) to dump their crap. They act out.

This is a User to User Support Forum for specific products, yet someone will come here and start posting stuff about sports or other things not related at all to the purpose and intentions of the forum.

I've made statements politely to such posters and would get back responses that went from insane to subliminal. The point is, in this experience we call the Human Conditiion, very often people will abuse the "public-ness" of things to get the attention that they cannot otherwise get.

I think that's what they meant by the saying "Don't muddy up the waters".

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I would say that 99.237% of the people on this forum are good to great - and I like CJ too. But there are a few users whose posts always get me down. I dread seeing them. Everything they say is negative to down right bitter. Some of them are heavy posters too.

Come on you 0.773% of the people, life is what you make it. Have at least 1/4th as many positive moments as you do negative ones. If you are so frustrated with life, change something.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 13:14:03 (permalink)

I would say that 99.237% of the people on this forum are good to great - and I like CJ too. But there are a few users whose posts always get me down. I dread seeing them. Everything they say is negative to down right bitter. Some of them are heavy posters too.

Come on you 0.773% of the people, life is what you make it. Have at least 1/4th as many positive moments as you do negative ones. If you are so frustrated with life, change something.

You know what sucks space? Some of those people that would fall into the "negative/bitter" category....I sometimes want to put on ignore. The problem there is, when they DO share something, they really know what they're talking about so I'd only be hurting myself in doing so. And when they go into "help mode" they're the ones who share in depth and really go out of their way. They just don't do it enough unfortunately.

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 13:24:19 (permalink)
Young Johnny has a cursing problem, and his father's getting tired of it. He decides to ask a shrink what to do.

The shrink says, "Negative reinforcement. Since Christmas is coming up, ask Johnny what he wants from Santa. If he curses while he tells you his wish list, leave a pile of dog poop in place of each gift he requests." Two days before Christmas, Johnny's father asks him what he wants for Christmas. "I want a damn teddy bear lying beside me when I wake up. When I go downstairs, I want to see a damn train going around the damn tree. And when I go outside, I want to see a damn bike leaning up against the damn garage."

On Christmas morning, Johnny wakes up and walks into a pile of dog poop. Confused, he walks downstairs and sees another pile under the tree. He walks outside, looks at a huge pile of dog poo by the garage, and walks inside. His dad smiles and asks, "What did Santa bring you this year?" Johnny replies, "I think I got a damn dog, but I can't find the son of a ****!"

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 13:29:11 (permalink)
I think that some people have a low tolerance for answering the obvious question. I found myself a year or so ago getting that way when the same 'ole question would get asked every day and the answer was so easy to find in the usual sources. I got to thinking about it and those kinds of questions are great for the users who have a little bit of experience under their belt. They can answer them and fulfill a role here in the community, sharing the knowledge that they've obtained and helping someone who is obviously without a clue.

So I let those questions slide by knowing that someone will get a chance to answer them. If no one is giving an answer right away or I see someone has given what I'd consider bad advice, I'll chime in to get the O.P. out of the ditch and back on course. I'm not very chatty most times so my posts might a little short. I would hope that I'm not part of the grumpy folks.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 14:42:42 (permalink)
Well, it's a user forum... ah the internet...

What can you do? Some people are just gonna be rabble. I generally try to ignore them.

Lately, it's not the ones full of piss and vinegar that are getting to me, it's the lazy newbs who just don't wanna help themselves and ask for the world on a platter... and (I might add) often in a way that makes it pretty obvious they're prolly using a cracked version. I don't mind trying to help bring a new user up to speed... but I'm not handing out free consulting for the lazy.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
ed97643
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1610
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 15:05:38 (permalink)
Quote: I would hope that I'm not part of the grumpy folks.

Dave, you are definitely not one of the grumpy set! Your input here is always useful and welcomed.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
That One
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 15:27:29 (permalink)
well, I'm a long time member of this forum (under RJchoice) and I've been very thankful that this place exist. like many of us I've gained my knowledge of computers and DAW-s through neccessity .. and i've come to the point where I even see the "upside" of things going wrong ... if you have the desire and patience, you can fix it , and learn something useful enough to use as a commodity.

I even see the "upside" of those who are too lazy to read a manual, and or research these forums for solutions ... (if they have more money than time) they will pay for my tech support. My first love is still music , and I own a small comercial recording studio / multi-media company. I spent most of last year as a GC pro for guitar center, and saw the other side of this business. The era of (relatively) cheap recording gear .. and DIY on a computer attitudes , has created a whole new market for those of us willing to adapt.

So .. if i'm ever tempted to be bitter or foul about some glitchy tech, or seemingly absurd question, I just remember how great it is to earn my living through learning my craft.

thx everyone.

RJ

sonar 8 pe - intell core2 quad q9450 2.67Ghz - 8 gig ram - 3 TB sata - nvidia GeForce 9800 GT x2 (SLi cards) - Motu 2408 mk3 core system / PCIe 424
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 15:37:49 (permalink)
To wicked :

I just remeber when i posted my first thread few month ago ! it was my dirst cause i'm not really a forum guy , and i succed all the time gettin my stuff to work without any help !

But at this time (sept 2K8) i rally needed some help cause it was in an unknow area : ext dsp , i PM Jose who was very helpfull and cool (like usual must a say) and he suggested to create a thread witch i did !

I got many replies and one of the first was i guy insuating that i have a crack version !!
WTF the guy don't even know me , know that i'm usin cakewalk since the XL's versions , know my degree of expertise just because he saw no posts count !!

Nothin against you wicked but don't make that "guilty to prove he's innocent" type of mentallity......few post means nothin , and big counts ether .....pertinance of answers and posts do !

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/18 21:30:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Danny Danzi

You know what sucks space? Some of those people that would fall into the "negative/bitter" category....I sometimes want to put on ignore. The problem there is, when they DO share something, they really know what they're talking about so I'd only be hurting myself in doing so. And when they go into "help mode" they're the ones who share in depth and really go out of their way. They just don't do it enough unfortunately.

That is where the problem comes in. I see a topic that I think that blockee is knowledgeable (I have been here longer than my post count shows. I changed IDs after a very hostile assult on me sometime ago). I unblock them and WHAM. SOS.

Hey none of the respondents are blocked. So you know who is ruled out.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
HeatherB
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/20 06:28:54 (permalink)
You know, like you said Space, 99.237% of the people on this forum are wonderful, friendly, and helpful. But I also don't understand why some people on here are just downright rude for no reason. This may seem sappy, but it's true that life is hard enough and there's enough misery in the world already, so why do some insist on adding to it? I don't understand why if someone asks a question that may seem like common sense to someone else, some people like to jump in and make them feel bad. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" is one of the best sayings ever because it's true.

Oh well...luckily most of the people on here are wonderful though.
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/20 07:53:26 (permalink)
Hey none of the respondents are blocked. So you know who is ruled out.

Reassuring....but I knew it couldn't include me because I only argue when I'm right.

Unless it transpires that I wasn't then I'll say sorry.....

.........................................................................eventually.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/20 07:54:58

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/21 20:26:17 (permalink)
Unfortunately they just change their names and come back. It's a strange thing to be sure.

ORIGINAL: dbmusic

If you ignore them...they'll go a way

Hey that is what my dentist says about teeth.

Craig DuBuc
Crg
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/21 20:31:56 (permalink)
Sounds like the straight poop to me!

Craig DuBuc
Storm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 808
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/22 11:08:55 (permalink)
There's something about music that attracts the arrogant pricks for lack of a better term.

Before forums, it was the same in certain music stores. You'd walk in and see your dream guitar and you just want to see how it plays in your hands and you get slapped for taking it off the rack because you don't work there. Only trained musical experts making $6 per hour were authorized whether to let you touch their pieces. They kind of viewed their stock as their own and treated them like museum pieces.

Then you'd walk across the street to a music store and bang their drums and hook up your dream guitar to every amp and spend HOURS there.

Some people still want to be "special" and others just want to share music. The forum is no different in my opinion to the differing personalities I would get at music stores.
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/22 11:32:56 (permalink)
Funny thing is, I'm 100% confident that the people space_cowboy was referring to have not chimed in on this thread (until now )

ORIGINAL: strikinglyhandsome1

Forums reflect the outside world.

Hence all the weirdos.

Do people actually block people? That's kinda funny.

Oh yeah, I do it all the time:

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

PaulsAcademy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/24 23:07:03 (permalink)
To paraphrase what a comedian once said in more "colorful" terms, jerks are jerks. That's their job--to be a jerk. So let them do their job and don't worry about it. Eventually, someone has to clean every toilet. So just let them do what they do best.

Still, it is frustrating to see rude and belittling posts. It really bothers me when people shoot down a question right out of the gate by saying "Why don't you research this before posting questions here?" Especially when it's the person's very first post to a new forum (good luck getting them to return/contribute). We don't know their level of expertise at finding info on the web, or even in a forum. So why ball them out right from the get go? I've found that those comically simple-minded questions often lead to interesting and informative discussions, which turn up in search engines later, and deliver new people to a forum.

To me, asking questions IS research. If you don't like the question, don't respond and move on. But taking the time to put an inquisitive person down just because their idea of "research" is different than yours seems like an attempt to boost your own self-esteem by belittling someone else, rather than making a productive contribution. I could easily live without that kind of nonsense.

My podcast: www.paulsacademy.com
(mixed using Cakewalk Home Studio 2)
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 04:47:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PaulsAcademy

To paraphrase what a comedian once said in more "colorful" terms, jerks are jerks. That's their job--to be a jerk. So let them do their job and don't worry about it. Eventually, someone has to clean every toilet. So just let them do what they do best.

Still, it is frustrating to see rude and belittling posts. It really bothers me when people shoot down a question right out of the gate by saying "Why don't you research this before posting questions here?" Especially when it's the person's very first post to a new forum (good luck getting them to return/contribute). We don't know their level of expertise at finding info on the web, or even in a forum. So why ball them out right from the get go? I've found that those comically simple-minded questions often lead to interesting and informative discussions, which turn up in search engines later, and deliver new people to a forum.

To me, asking questions IS research. If you don't like the question, don't respond and move on. But taking the time to put an inquisitive person down just because their idea of "research" is different than yours seems like an attempt to boost your own self-esteem by belittling someone else, rather than making a productive contribution. I could easily live without that kind of nonsense.

+1

Well said Paul

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 05:56:04 (permalink)
Why are some people so foul with every response?

For me its because I'm a c.......

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 08:45:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cryophonik

LOL, me too. If they don't get the hand, they get "la la la la la I can't hear you"

a la

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 10:14:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PaulsAcademy

This is so true. It always amazes me to see someone being told 'go away and search the internet, there's tons of information out there' - as though this forum is somehow exempt from Google.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Crg
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 11:25:04 (permalink)
Perhaps it's all due to residual pharmacueticals in the water supply.

Craig DuBuc
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 11:27:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jamesg1213
This is so true. It always amazes me to see someone being told 'go away and search the internet, there's tons of information out there' - as though this forum is somehow exempt from Google.

I find it interesting that this forum often shows up in the top of my google search results for various audio related searches. But that might just mean I spend too much time here, so I use search terms that show up here... In other words, I speak cakewalk forum.

(so who's got me blocked...?)
Geokauf
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 11:33:56 (permalink)
I hate being disliked for being me...I HATE it!!!

Hello,

Yeah, me too.

GK
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 12:41:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Geokauf

I hate being disliked for being me...I HATE it!!!

Hello,

Yeah, me too.

GK

George, I told you I'm working hard on that. I apologize if my post seemed hypocritical.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 12:59:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

I'd even take that a step further James - I've learnt loads of stuff myself just by doing a little research for someone else!

The ironic thing, in my opinion, is that the longer you've been on these forums, the easier it becomes to (know how to) find relevant information in here.

Equally true is that the more experienced you become with the software, the same applies to a certain extent - you're much more likely to be able to narrow down your search.

Take both these points together, and a regular will be more likely to ask the right question in the right forum.

To those who seem happy to point newbs straight to Google etc and actually offer no real help I'd say two things:

1) Go and look around other forums - even forums about a subject you know a bit about. Look around, it's a bit daunting isn't it? You won't know the protocols, you might even find it difficult to work out how and where to ask a question. Then think about those who come in here who probably feel the same way and find themselves in the same predicament.

2) Don't bother - give an 'real' answer or just don't post.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 21:59:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

ORIGINAL: cryophonik

LOL, me too. If they don't get the hand, they get "la la la la la I can't hear you"

a la

I want a chimp. Or a midget.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Why are some people so foul with every response? 2009/01/25 22:32:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
To those who seem happy to point newbs straight to Google etc and actually offer no real help I'd say two things:

1) Go and look around other forums - even forums about a subject you know a bit about. Look around, it's a bit daunting isn't it? You won't know the protocols, you might even find it difficult to work out how and where to ask a question. Then think about those who come in here who probably feel the same way and find themselves in the same predicament.

2) Don't bother - give an 'real' answer or just don't post.

i would add number three to this, depending on the question:

3) give them some perspective based on your own experience.

for example, a person comes in asking about how to master their own stuff. you can tell them to go buy a book, you can tell them to get ozone or waves or whatever, you can be a tool and tell them to google it. or you can explain to them a concept they probably don't understand, let them know exactly what they might be getting into, and let them think about their own goals and see if they really want to invest the time it takes master their own stuff or look at other options.

that is one thing that "yep" for example always did without being overly harsh. i'm sure there are other examples but he comes to mind first.

- jack the ex-cynic
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1