Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dr.hash
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2010/07/29 21:29:48 (permalink)

Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet?

OK I'm enjoying my time on this forum, really getting into helping the newbies and the oldies.  But here is something that bugs me.  We are on the cusp of the new world.  Digital media and social networking have made the world smaller and everything can be beamed into our homes at the touch of a button.  Why are not releasing 24 bit files yet.  I mean we have the Internet speed, there is of course HD CD, i know or sccd (I don't know what it's called).  This is a debate that we should be having and it would knock the purists argument of analog and fidelity out the window.  I know that window media player will not play 24 bit files but this can be fixed.  I think sound blaster have a 24 bit consumer audio card.  I think we need to have this debate.  MP3's should be on their bike and out the room by now.  Hard drives are faster and cheaper than ever so these cannot be arguments against releasing high fidelity 24 bit audio files.  Opinions on this would be good.

Viva La Revolution Sonar forever, Pro tools Never
Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics

30 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/29 21:36:28 (permalink)
    We are releasing 24-bit audio, just not on CDs. That's necessary to retain backward compatibility with millions of existing disks and players.

A totally separate topic is whether or not we actually need 24-bit audio at the consumer level. I don't believe we do.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/29 21:36:35 (permalink)
    Good question - I get this a lot in my classes.  Primarily, playback systems are not prevalent enough to tip the scale.  For instance, In my surrounding neighborhood, no one could play a 24 bit file anywhere in their house with the exception of their laptop or desktop computer - both of which are connected to either $9 plastic speakers or internal speakers - The point is almost no one can play a native 24 bit audio program in consumerland.  Even DVD-A and hi res audio in DVD formats haven't really opened up the market.  

Computers aren't integrated into most people's entertainment environment and the CD can't change.

-D

DonM
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/29 21:40:56 (permalink)
    bitflipper

We are releasing 24-bit audio, just not on CDs. That's necessary to retain backward compatibility with millions of existing disks and players.

A totally separate topic is whether or not we actually need 24-bit audio at the consumer level. I don't believe we do.

Bit:
    Somewhere there is a presentation George Massenberg did (In New Zealand I think) on 24 bit consumer products - I tried to find a link to post in this message - it's pretty interesting but possibly too late to consider a reality now despite the OP's relevant observations that it could be viable given the state of tech now. 

Found it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJbjHc6bRE

-D

post edited by DonM - 2010/07/29 21:44:44

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/29 21:47:29 (permalink)
    DonM

Good question - I get this a lot in my classes.  Primarily, playback systems are not prevalent enough to tip the scale.  For instance, In my surrounding neighborhood, no one could play a 24 bit file anywhere in their house with the exception of their laptop or desktop computer - both of which are connected to either $9 plastic speakers or internal speakers - The point is almost no one can play a native 24 bit audio program in consumerland.  Even DVD-A and hi res audio in DVD formats haven't really opened up the market.  

Computers aren't integrated into most people's entertainment environment and the CD can't change.

-D

Regular DVD is 24 bit. Movie soundtracks are generally 24/48. Everyone has one of those and BD has that and the storage size as well. AV receivers also are fully 24 bit capable.
    DonM
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/29 22:01:42 (permalink)
    10Ten

DonM

-D

Regular DVD is 24 bit. Movie soundtracks are generally 24/48. Everyone has one of those and BD has that and the storage size as well. AV receivers also are fully 24 bit capable.
    10:
    I agree and as you can imagine know that.  My point is that - audio only product developed for DVD is practically non-existant and Hybrid dual layer HD CD's haven't made enough money for any commercial success - Yes - technically it can be done and in fact it isn't.  Physical media stores are gone - stream 24 bit audio to computers - yes technically possible - but not integrated into .01% of the homes where the money is.  I get your point and the OP - but I am saying follow the money it is in low res right now.  

98% of what I do is classical, chamber music, baroque and sacred choral - believe me I could use a 24 bit audience.  I'm not knocking it - I just live in the (lossy) real world right now. 

Edit: I should add, the lossy real world for me is 16/44.1 - so I would love the 24/48 world George is talking about in the video I linked above  

-D

post edited by DonM - 2010/07/29 22:04:57

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/29 23:53:33 (permalink)
    dr.hash

OK I'm enjoying my time on this forum, really getting into helping the newbies and the oldies.  But here is something that bugs me.  We are on the cusp of the new world.  Digital media and social networking have made the world smaller and everything can be beamed into our homes at the touch of a button.  Why are not releasing 24 bit files yet.  I mean we have the Internet speed, there is of course HD CD, i know or sccd (I don't know what it's called).  This is a debate that we should be having and it would knock the purists argument of analog and fidelity out the window.  I know that window media player will not play 24 bit files but this can be fixed.  I think sound blaster have a 24 bit consumer audio card.  I think we need to have this debate.  MP3's should be on their bike and out the room by now.  Hard drives are faster and cheaper than ever so these cannot be arguments against releasing high fidelity 24 bit audio files.  Opinions on this would be good.

Viva La Revolution Sonar forever, Pro tools Never
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)

People keep buying CDs that have almost no dynamic range with 80 or 90 % clipped wavforms.  There is something about dynamic range they can't stand so they would not like 24bit audio at all.  And you know what would happen, the labels would use those same clipped masters to make the 24bit media.. it would be a total joke.
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 00:18:35 (permalink)
    I thin HDTV is capable of 24 bit and up to 192 K rates. But that's the capability...What each set is capable of, or what the stations or progams contain can be from that, downwards.

In consumer products, price is the denominator..When technology advances, most likely the audio quality will also go up.

But it seems to me most of the audio advances in TV are for the surround experience...More speakers and woofers.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Shane_B.
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 00:25:20 (permalink)
    dr.hash

I know that window media player will not play 24 bit files but this can be fixed.

Windows Media Player plays 24 bit files fine on my system without any fixes or modifications at all.

bitflipper
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 00:50:41 (permalink)
    What no one except Frank has noted is that 24 bits only buys you a greater dynamic range. That's it. When most commercial records have less than 6db of dynamic range, no one is going to notice if it's 24-bit audio or not. Don't confuse the desirability of 24 bits within your DAW with the needs of consumer playback systems.

Don, that's a great presentation by George M - I've seen it before and it contains some wonderfully brutal truth. He's railed for years against the myth that quality concerns only apply to audiophile genres. I buy into that concept 100%. But he hasn't convinced me yet that moving to a 48KHz standard for all recorded music would result in a noticeable improvement. Or to make people start buying records again. After all, as he stresses himself, the real problem is crappy assembly-line music, much more so than the format.

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 01:10:41 (permalink)
    Here's a good article by Dave Moulton that is relevant to this discussion.

My Stuff
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 01:12:32 (permalink)
    Because it all end up on youtube anyway and people are happy listening to it that way...  

The majority of them don't actually listen to the music - they dance along, they sing along or over it, they use it to create an ambiance, they talk while listening...  They love to hear the song, not to listen to it. Worst - more often than not they love to hear it again. Popular music is also eminently repetitive, and songs are usually short w/ pointless lyrics and interchangeable verses and choruses - so I guess we appreciate it as such. 

Movies and pictures you have to watch, not just to see (putting all sarcasms aside for a second here), which is why, I think visual medias standard evolve faster - you have to stand still and actually pay attention... The dumbest movie still requires you to follow a certain story line from a to z -you have to focus. Music (pop) doesn't require that much.  People watching movies will ask you to shut up while they're watching. People listening to music usually have the attention span of a goldfish. Compare a rock concert w/ a theatre just for fun...

I don't think the next step will be a matter of physical medium as much as a matter of bandwidth/storage. Make it as available as the lo fi version and people will choose Hi Fi, be it out of principle.... Good news is that, we're (slowly) moving in that direction anyway. 

Seeing what bands like Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead did, I'm actually hoping that sometime soon, audiophiles get access to those mixes as they are heard in the studio, before they get ruined by the poor mastering engineer who's probably been told to just make it louder than the loudest record out there....

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 06:03:59 (permalink)
    Its because of the stupid old Audio CD:s that we still release music in 44.1kHz, 16bit.

In the beginning of time of AUDIO CD history, Audio CD-format was first meant to be in --->48kHz 24bit. But as always, after a lot of politic and money pressure  $$$ from companies we got stuck with this crappy format --->44.1 kHz , 16bit instead.

If it wasn't for that bad decisions we had been using 24bit, 48kHz or higher already on commercial CDs. The CD & CD-players, AD/DA-converters itself have no technical problems or have any reasons why not use the higher formats. All AD/DA-converters are in 24bit already.

Same kind of story happen with crappy MP3-format. 
    Why do the world use MP3?.... There are far better format out there then MP3 example FLAC , loose less; are 1000 times better then MP3. Today we see the use of other format then MP3 so we go in the right directions...   

Hopefully its just a matter of time until the old Audio-CD-format die out as cassette tapes did and get replaced with modern technology, so don't worry about it..We almost there already

So if you still use 44.1 kHz 16 bit working in SONAR, its good idea to change to at least 24bit 48kHz instead or higher. I'm using 32bit floating points working, exactly the same as most of your plugins stream in or higher. Some stream even in 64bit floating points so it makes huge sense using higher data bit format example 32bit floating in SONAR. 
    Especially if you like example recording internal, record softwares synths, freezing tracks, summing,----> in SONAR and same goes for other DAWs...

Best Regards
    Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 10:03:54 (permalink)
    24 bit and 32 bit play on windows media player fine for me, it's a matter when all consumer audio/media go 24 bit full stop, then we might have 24bit cd's on the shelf, or downloads of 24 bit audio files from i-tunes or what ever, not that the average joe public really gives a **** about bit depths, at least we can all use it (lol)
    washburn100
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 10:06:49 (permalink)
    Surveys  show that when given choices of music format, young people prefer the "sizzle" of mp3's.
    http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/03/the-sizzling-sound-of-music.html

I'm glad I'm old now get off my lawn!
    dr.hash
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 19:29:14 (permalink)
    Ok cool, got it, still it's time for a revoloution.  I'm starting to like you bitflipper and no not in that way.  I'm sorry to all who think and this maybe is my fault, that i am an electronic troll.  Getting the hang of all this.
    I dont know what the solution is but i do know we have to out there and shake the tree so to speak, thats why i come accross as an electronic troll.

"Wasn't the last twenty years crap,
    let's make the next twenty great"
    Viva La Revolution
    Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
    Ben B.CT (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    bitflipper
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/30 19:47:24 (permalink)
    In the beginning of time of AUDIO CD history, Audio CD-format was first meant to be in --->48kHz 24bit. But as always, after a lot of politic and money pressure $$$ from companies we got stuck with this crappy format --->44.1 kHz , 16bit instead.

Back at the beginning of time, had the decision been up to you, would you have chosen 10-inch disks, or would you have gone with CD-sized disks that could only hold half a vinyl LP?

My Stuff
    DonaldDuck
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 00:34:10 (permalink)
    In my humble opinion, increasing the sampling frequency would be better than bit depth. 
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 00:42:07 (permalink)
    Oh no!

Best
    John
    pjl
    • Total Posts : 796
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 03:56:12 (permalink)
    I think the problem with this discussion is that it is occurring between people who can hear the difference.  We seem to forgot that the vast majority of the people for whom music is made can't hear it.  The fact is that the most music buyers (the generators of revenue) don't give a toss about sound quality.  I remember when the CD format first arrived in the very early 80s.  Once the small number of audiophiles had paid the big bucks for CD players and prices started to drop, the thing that attracted the consumer market to CDs wasn't sound quality, it was the marketing hype that convinced people that CDs couldn't get scratched the way vinyl could.

Back then, the punters were buying CDs and copying them to cassettes for their cars stereos and Walkmans.  Now, they buy CDs and rip them to low bitrate mp3s.  Either way, they didn't/don't notice the loss of quality.

It's part of the reason why DVD-audio never took off.  The audiophiles sang its praises but the consumer market just couldn't see the point of it.  Why buy a new player when there's no discernible advantage?

Perhaps if DVD players had been DVD-audio compatible it might have taken off by convincing consumers that they wanted their music in surround sound.  But, that didn't happen - as far as I have seen, very few surround DVD video players are compatible with DVD-audio.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
    Searchfinger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 06:25:43 (permalink)
    It's part of the reason why DVD-audio never took off. The audiophiles sang its praises but the consumer market just couldn't see the point of it. Why buy a new player when there's no discernible advantage?

If you can't hear it then it's not worth it.  Most people buy high end sound systems for the cool factor anyways.  I have a  friend who owns a very expensive CD player but he only plays mp3s.  I asked him why he doesn't play CD on it, he said that it's too much hassle to always change CD's and mp3s came from CD's anyway so they sound  the same .
    pjl
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 06:42:21 (permalink)
    Searchfinger

If you can't hear it then it's not worth it

As others have pointed out, 24-bit is about dynamic range and even the punters can hear that.  However, others have also pointed out that dynamic range is out of vogue with popular music.

The summary: consumers can't hear most of the differences associated with improving digital resolution and the ones they can hear, they don't want to hear.

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 07:00:42 (permalink)
    Commercial mixes are optimized for typical playback conditions.  If 24-bit audio became the norm for consumer listening, then mixing styles would need to change accordingly.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Searchfinger
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 07:12:09 (permalink)
    If 24-bit audio became the norm for consumer listening, then mixing styles would need to change accordingly.

Yeah, I really hope so. It's a shame that 16 bit CD quality is not really fully utilized nowadays with the heavily compressed mixes.  It would be disheartening if 24 bit CD will become the norm and the music we play on it are all brickwalled,  coz there's really no point.
    pjl
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 07:58:35 (permalink)
    Kev999

Commercial mixes are optimized for typical playback conditions.  If 24-bit audio became the norm for consumer listening, then mixing styles would need to change accordingly.

Sorry but I don't think that would happen.  Yes, mixes are made for typical conditions but typical listening conditions are noisy environments (car, office, party) because very few people spend very much time listening to music carefully.  Noisy environments mean that only the loud bits are audible so the commercial solution is to make all the bits loud.  This lead to the loudness wars where the record companies and radio stations aim to make the whole record as loud as possible.  Heavy limiting to 24-bits is not going to sound any different (better) than heavy limiting to 16-bits.

Searchfinger
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 08:56:52 (permalink)
    Heavy limiting to 24-bits is not going to sound any different (better) than heavy limiting to 16-bits.

+1

I'm no expert but I do agree. A bigger file with the same audio quality (squashed as usual).  The listening environment will not change even though 24 bit will be the norm.
    pjl
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 09:48:45 (permalink)
    Searchfinger

Heavy limiting to 24-bits is not going to sound any different (better) than heavy limiting to 16-bits.

+1

I'm no expert but I do agree. A bigger file with the same audio quality (squashed as usual).  The listening environment will not change even though 24 bit will be the norm.

People like DonM, who work a lot with orchestral music, may argue this isn't the case for them because dynamic range is appreciated in those genres.  It's certainly true of many (most?) engineers and producers in that area but I wonder if the same is true of the consumers.  I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a significant  number of orchestral music consumers who are annoyed about not being able to hear the quiet bits properly.  Just a thought.

DonaldDuck
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 10:06:32 (permalink)
    pjl

Searchfinger

+1

People like DonM, who work a lot with orchestral music, may argue this isn't the case for them because dynamic range is appreciated in those genres.  It's certainly true of many (most?) engineers and producers in that area but I wonder if the same is true of the consumers.  I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a significant  number of orchestral music consumers who are annoyed about not being able to hear the quiet bits properly.  Just a thought.
    Good point!  

I mentioned using some compression on a few instruments in a classical piece recorded at my studio and they accused me of ruining their art. Excuse me for trying to make a uniform product! hah
    dr.hash
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 20:07:38 (permalink)
    Thanks guys great debate, i understand so much more because of it.  Still unsure how to tackle the issuse.  I'm building a website and am wondering the best format to release music in.  As i say a revolution is needed and this issue for my website will need a revolutionary way forward.

Peace and Love Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    DonM
    Re:Why are we not releasing 24 bit audio files yet? 2010/07/31 21:33:33 (permalink)
    pjl

Searchfinger

+1

P:

Great post.  I love dynamic range but I am also a realist.  I engineered and participated in the mastering of a chamber ensemble CD last year that was one of the widest crest ratio recordings I've ever done.  Some folks loved it and at least one I know of did not like the wide range for the very reasons you mentioned.  I am one of those old fashioned types that actually listens to a CD all the way through in a dedicated listening room - so I love dynamic range - but as I said I am also a realist.  

As I recall Bob Katz and some others have proven 83db is a wide enough range for most to experience realism - unfortunately audio music recordings do not have realism as a metric.

-D

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1