Helpful ReplyWhy does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily

Author
Tone2010
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2010/07/30 14:50:00 (permalink)

Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily

I'm using Sonar Home Studio 7 and the UA-4FX USB AUDIO CAPTURE Int. with a keyboard and drum machine and everything seems to be going ok so far. However at least once every recording session Sonar and the Interface will freeze and make a loud buzzing noise for about 7 or 8 seconds then resumes where it left off. I would more than appreciate any input anyone has concerning this matter. Thanks Tone!
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/07/30 15:32:20 (permalink)
which driver mode are you using?  what is your latency set to?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Tone2010
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/07/31 12:47:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Beagle

which driver mode are you using?  what is your latency set to?

I'm using the ASIO driver for midi and MME for audio. In Options- Audio- Mixing Latency Buffers in playback queue is at 7. Between Fast and Safe the buffer size is pretty much towards Fast 20.0msec. Record latency adjustment- Manual Offset is at 0 this might be because I'm looking at it in playback mode right now.
Beagle
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/07/31 13:49:24 (permalink)
so you're changing from ASIO to MME when you change from recording MIDI to recording AUDIO?  why?  I would not recommend using MME driver mode at all with the UA4FX.  it has good WDM or ASIO drivers and MME is the worst possible driver mode.  it might be causing your problems.  if ASIO works for you to record MIDI then leave it in ASIO mode.

why do you have the buffers in playback que set to 7?  normally the default of 2 should be left at 2 unless you are having severe problems with dropout (the "opposite" of latency).

Tone2010
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/08/01 02:20:52 (permalink)
The UA-4FX has an advanced driver for midi. Asio is required with this advance driver. I used the WDMKS with Sonar 6 LE and I believe I experienced  the same problem from time to time. I read about MME and although it said you should try to avoid. I seem to have more availabilty with playback and recording using the MME driver in Sonar HS7 than I do WDMKS. Dropouts can be avoided by dealing with the network connections. I got by the dropouts. It could possibly be the latency settings. I'll look into it. Any other info you have would be helpful.
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/08/01 05:50:09 (permalink)
What Beagle says is right, so basically; "don't use MME drivers"

Try the following;

. Connect your Keyboard and drum machine via the Midi port.

. Since you want to use the advance Midi option, turn it ON (switch is on the side of unit).

. Setup record sample rate at 48.kHz (switch is on the side of unit)

. Since you're running Midi in ASIO, I recommend you also run Audio drivers in ASIO mode.

next; SONAR setup....

. Open Sonar (without opening a project) and go to > Audio Options and make sure the following is setup...

. 24.bit @ 48.kHz sample rate. This means all your projects will be recording in that format. Also, I don't think the Advance mode should be on if running in 44.1.kHz  ~ see * note in regards to Sampling Frequency; Click Here

. Run ASIO mode for both Midi and Audio

. Lower Que Buffer to = 2

. Setup Latency at around 10.ms

. Check that your interface is listed/enabled i/o for Midi and Audio.

. Run Wave Profiler.

When done, close Sonar and reboot.

-

Tone2010
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/08/01 14:15:12 (permalink)
I'm able to record and playback with ASIO when I record with the midi cabe. Although my drum machine is driven by Sonar HS7 and I go into the UA-4FX with a digital optical cable I'm using my keyboard as a controller with Dimension Pro and other software synth inst. Eventually I will play my guitar and that will be direct audio. I was already recording with 48khz on UA-4FX however I didn't set 16 to 24 on Sonar. In Mixing Latency the lowest the Buffer size will go is 20.0 I'm thinking this could be one of the problems. You think it should be halfway say to 100.00 also what do you suggest for Options- Audio-Advanced-Record-Latency-Adjustment (samples)-Manual Offset. For some reason presumably the drivers WDM/KS wont let me set the SR. to 48khz & bit range24 to were MME 32bit does.
Beagle
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/08/01 14:43:33 (permalink)
when you're in ASIO mode you can't change the latency slider.  you have to change the latency by clicking on the ASIO button and it will open up your UA4FX software panel for you to adjust the hardware buffers in there.

there may be something strange about the WDM drivers for the UA4FX that won't let you change the sample rate.  use ASIO for everything.  set it and dont' change it back and forth.

SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:Why does Sonar Home Studio 7 and Audio Interface freeze momentarily 2010/08/01 19:47:43 (permalink)
Tone2010

For some reason presumably the drivers WDM/KS wont let me set the SR. to 48khz & bit range24 to were MME 32bit does.

MME 32.bit is in regards to the internal processing and in regards to the UA-4FX onboard effects processing it uses 32.bit, thereby NOT to be confused with actual 'Audio formats" such as 16.bit or 24.bit, as a matter of fact; 24.bit is the highest 'Audio' format anyone can go.  Please be careful NOT to confuse 'Audio Format' with 'Systems Processing'.

If using ASIO, as Beagle said; open the 'ASIO Panel' (UA4FX software panel) to make the adjustments.

Please follow the instructions I gave you, do each setting 'one-step-at-a-time' double checking each step, when done, be sure to run the Wave Profiler and reboot.

If done the above correctly, when you open SONAR + Project see on the bottom 'Status Bar' (if in the menu you have selected 'View = Status Bar') it will confirm; 24.bit 48.kHz,  thereby your hardware MUST also be at 48.kHz, it's VERY important that both SONAR and the UA (interface) are setup with the same sample rate.

-

post edited by SongCraft - 2010/08/01 19:54:50

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1