Why have I been paying my taxes all these years?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2009/02/03 13:37:04 (permalink)

Why have I been paying my taxes all these years?

Hi-

Just kidding, sort of, but really:
1- Geithner
2- Daschle
3- Killefer

Geithner made it through, but Killefer withdrew, and now Daschle. "Sorry, I made a mistake". Oops.

I don't know about you guys, but I go over my returns with a fine tooth comb, and the one time I had an accountant do them for me I still did.

Granted my returns have been relatively simple, but to paraphrase some pundit today: "If you failed to pay a little bit in taxes, you're fined and in big trouble with the IRS. If you failed to pay *a lot*, you're nominated for a Cabinet position."

Jeez, this almost makes me wish I'd cheated on my taxes! What the heck is going on, and why aren't these people coming clean in the vetting process? Do they really think nobody's going to dig up this stuff?

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

18 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 15:01:23 (permalink)
    At least it gives us a new class of jokes (more than the government is in itself).

Daschle - brings a whole new meaning to "limousine liberal.'

Why Democrats don't mind raising taxes - they don't pay 'em.

I'm sure others are making the rounds.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 15:13:00 (permalink)
    Probably a bit of favoritism towards political leaders though...when rich, famous people get caught they nail them to the cross about it.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 16:16:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G
    Just kidding, sort of, but really:

The difference is that the Government will hit you quite hard proporionately to your income versus what they do to 'connected' people.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 17:28:33 (permalink)
    Anybody remember what they did to Red Fox? I guess if you are a Washington insider you get an automatic pass. BTW you forgot Rangel.

Best
    John
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 18:01:31 (permalink)
    To stay out of jail Susan?
    Many have tryed and many have dieed.
    Many have beaten the system.
    Many have settled dollar to dime
    Many have spent some time

Craig DuBuc
    wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 18:50:24 (permalink)
    have we come full circle to "Taxation without Representation"
    i say YES

I think their trying to figure out away to Tax ----"AIR" next

I believe the government spends our Tax Dollars foolishly

We're the richest Country?
    then why are we Drowning in National debt? foolish people spend our money

1.Geithner
    2.Daschle
    3.Killefer
    and 10's of million's more who remain nameless

the whole thing (the Government) has become a bad joke and it's on all of us
    To big to represent all us working class people---- fairly anymore

they seem to be Creating new taxes on anything they can think of
    seeing how far they can push us and take as much money from us as they can

when congress spend's the money we pay every year unwisely
    why give them anymore?

T.V. news sound bites of the president and Co.
    does not convince me we have an honest functioning government

How do you spend 3 trillion dollars?
    and need to borrow 3 trillion more?

Something is very wrong here

the crooks are running wall street,big business,and they own the puppets in the us government.

if you or i did'nt pay 128,000 in taxes we would probably be sitting in jail or
    bank account frozen,property seized, house,land,Car Etc...

and i'll bet behind the scenes they write off Daschles debt entirely
    with a little wink

sorry if i got off topic i'll end here
    cause i could go on for awhile
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 20:48:52 (permalink)
    Right, but you're just pointing out the negative. Don't be so quick to overlook the wondrous things our government provides us: free healthcare for all, a stellar public education system, a solid social security system that let's us all sleep at night about our future and our kids' future, and, most of all, the reassuring knowledge that we can all make a difference in our community, and country, by just sitting back and letting Washington "do its thang", seeing as they always have their constituents best interests at heart when making big decisions.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 21:13:41 (permalink)
    Susan
    A man, much more famous than I ever hope to be once said

You say.. "Steve.. how can I be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes?" First.. get a million dollars.
    Now.. you say, "Steve.. what do I say to the tax man when he comes to my door and says, 'You.. have never paid taxes'?"
    Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: "I forgot!"
    How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don't say "I forgot"?
    Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, "I forgot armed robbery was illegal."
    Let's suppose he says back to you, "You have committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from people at random, and you say, 'I forgot'?"
    Two simple words: Excuuuuuse me!!"

Yes, that man was Richard Feynman.

No hello??

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 21:56:26 (permalink)
    This is beginning to sound a lot like politics....

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 22:36:48 (permalink)
    I see you are out of a job http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=162204, and by coincidence you seem to be one of the few Americans eligble for a cabinet position in the Obama administration. I say strike while the iron is hot, and give the transition team a call and copy of your resume.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/03 22:43:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: slartabartfast

I see you are out of a job http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=162204, and by coincidence you seem to be one of the few Americans eligble for a cabinet position in the Obama administration. I say strike while the iron is hot, and give the transition team a call and copy of your resume.

And
    if you get the job
    You wont have to pay taxes.
    Get it. It is like making 40% more.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 00:55:16 (permalink)
    If I owe money on my taxes this year, what happens if I write, "get it from the CEO of Merril Lynch"?!!!

What would happen if ALL of us did?!

Ever hear about the Peasant Revolt of England in the 14th century?

Does the government think something like that can't happen again?

If they throw me in jail, at least I can get 3 squares a day, internet access, a free gym and healthcare. Is that where the real freedom is these days? In prison?

wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 01:53:47 (permalink)
    sorry for being blunt and adding to your thought
    people in prison have it better than the homeless
    and maybe even the working poor
    or even senior's on social security

but kick the soap before you pick it up
    or in other words cover your AZZ----
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 02:39:30 (permalink)
    I remember what they did and it made me sick. The man was dying! Let him keep his stuff! You can take it from his estate if you feel you must.
    ORIGINAL: John

Anybody remember what they did to Red Fox? I guess if you are a Washington insider you get an automatic pass. BTW you forgot Rangel.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 05:17:54 (permalink)
    I saw an ad for a tax settlement lawyer during the superbowl (possibly a local ad) with people saying how much they owed in taxes and how little they settled for. The final couple were listed "restaurant owners" who owed $3 million to the IRS and settled for only $1 million. Aren't they sort of bragging about not paying taxes? Not small stuff, but $2M worth?

(Firefox just told me alternative to "superbowl" would be "superb    owl"...)

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 05:31:03 (permalink)

(Firefox just told me alternative to "superbowl" would be "superb owl"...)

LOL...thats a hoot!...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 06:21:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

(Firefox just told me alternative to "superbowl" would be "superb owl"...)

LOL...thats a hoot!...

Jonbouy, I bet your humour goes down well with the ladies, in fact your motto should be "To wit, to woo"

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Why have I been paying my taxes all these years? 2009/02/04 12:10:28 (permalink)
    Susan, your solution is very obvious: if you don't want to pay taxes, run for public office

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1