Why is Guitar Rig 4 Delaying my sound when my Latency is at 2.9ms?

Author
Coreysan
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2011/10/21 18:59:08 (permalink)

Why is Guitar Rig 4 Delaying my sound when my Latency is at 2.9ms?

Everything worked great with Sonar 8.5, Guitar Rig 3, and Windows XP. THen I upgrade to WIN 7, Sonar X1, and Guitar Rig 4, and I get this nasty echo.
I checked latency, and its set to 2.9ms, with 128 samples, and all other settings are default.

When I set up the recording session initially, there's no echo, or slapback. It doesn't start until I actually press the
Record button icon, then the echo comes through loud and clear!

Any ideas? I play into a M-Audio Omni I/O and a Delta 44 sound card. Again, this problem didn't occur at all when
using the older versions.

All that changed is: 1) Sonar 8.5 to Sonar X1 2) Win XP to Win 7, and 3) GR3 to GR4.

Any advice would be so awesome! THanks!
COrey

1 Reply Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Why is Guitar Rig 4 Delaying my sound when my Latency is at 2.9ms? 2011/10/22 15:28:18 (permalink)
    Echo means two things:

1. You have direct monitoring enabled on your interface (either by a physical button or in its software mixer). You need to disable that so you're only monitoring through SONAR with GR.

2. Some GR modules/patches need more or less Plugin Delay Compensation (which SONAR adds automatically) because they use an extra lookahead buffer to do their processing. You can override PDC on input monitored tracks that don't have the FX on them, but presumably you are recording guitar on the track that has GR on it, so you can't override it there. I'm not a guitar guy, so I don't know which FX in GR add the most latency, but you might need to find a combination that doesn't need as much PDC for tracking, and then add the big guns at the mixing stage.

SONAR recalculates PDC when the transport is started for recording or playback or input monitoring is toggled after inserting an FX the uses PDC. Once it's in place, it should continue to be applied to input monitored signals after you stop the transport. If this is not the case, you might have something else/additional going on.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1