Helpful ReplyWhy is modern pop music so terrible?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/09/11 18:45:40 (permalink)
Yeah - understood Bit.  

I have several 1000 albums and 90%++ are from 70s and 80s.  

You have to search to find cool stuff nowadays.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/09/30 17:20:25 (permalink)
OK yesterday I was watching one of those Pensado’s Place interview videos .
I nearly fell asleep .The info was good , I just didn't have much of a reference point since most of the music I listen to is not currently chart topping ...
A lot of the stuff I dig is from way back in the day when the tunes charted .

So I say to myself OK lets get down and listen to what is currently sweeping the airwaves
OMG,,,,, I started w Taylor Swift and then Katy Perry and now I feel like a dirty old man 

I can honestly say I can't say I heard anything worth a $hit that I would listen to again ..
The thing is my eyeballs thought they sounded Great and for that alone it was worth the education ...

It certainly reinforced the part of that Kevin Spacey movie Beyond The Sea where his wife Sandra Dee mentioned
People hear what they see ...
IMHO , I think a lot of today's music is riding on that factor ...
Folks think that the music is good because it looks good.
Yes ? No ? what are your thoughts on that...

all the best ,

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/09/30 17:25:06 (permalink)
I learned this the hard way.  I always assumed audiences heard similar things to me.  When I was playing classical guitar, I suddenly realized that 80%, although they say they were entertained, knew nothing at all about what is good music and what is bad music.  They basically need to be told.

This makes sense in a way.  It justifies the NEED for music education.  Our ears can develop over time, with education.  It's so sad for our society that the arts are under assault.  In fact most things *higher* or *intellectual* are considered taboo now thanks to you no who!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 02:57:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby outland144k 2017/10/01 05:29:10
As an extension to that, science has proven that you can't sing what you can't hear.  So, until you have ear training, your attempts at singing will suffer.  Unfortunately, this doesn't stop large portions of the population from participating in (s)karaoke... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 06:00:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2017/10/01 06:30:08
Growing up in the 70's I was exposed to all kinds of great music which instilled in me a taste for sophisticated harmonies, clever songwriting and interesting rhythms. We had jazz, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, Little Feat and the Mahavishnu Orchestra playing in our home all the time. When you grow up around such music, it's really hard to concentrate on any of the bland chart topping crap that sells millions today. I've tried, I just can't. Even the artists that people keep telling me are "actually really good," like Adele or Ed Sheeran, at best I find to be "so-so." To me it all just sounds very safe and unchallenging, and my mind wanders almost instantly. 

Of course there is the argument that modern artists are more about the image than the music, but quite frankly I see no reason why it can't be both. Look at Kate Bush's early work. Tonight I watched the video for "Wow" from 1978, and it's got it all. She's outrageous, mysterious, sensual, artistic and kooky. But in addition to all that, the music is so well written and performed. There's something in the chords, melody and bass line which evoke the kind of colors and emotions that modern pop fails so miserably at conjuring. Yes it's got the big pop chorus, but just listen to those verses. Listen to the musicianship, the brilliance of the bass line and the arrangement of the strings. This mesmerized me when I was a kid, along with other greats such as Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, The Man With The Child In His Eyes, This Woman's Work, Army Dreamers etc. I think it might have something to do with the fact that back in the day, record companies were more likely to give quirky artists like Kate Bush the benefit of the doubt and let them get on with their own thing based on the idea that they knew their art better than anyone in an executive leather chair. But now, the entire image of these "showcase" artists is carefully planned to an exact formula by a corporation, and it's just mind numbingly sterile. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 06:29:43 (permalink)
Because I recently started using Lyft to travel to to work, I've been exposed to a variety of things I wouldn't normally listen to these days like, uh, anything that's not Beethoven.

Last Friday, the guy who drove me home was listening to Pandora and I finally heard a bunch of bands such as The Black Keys, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys...

It sure was much better than most of the contemporary stuff that I'd heard, but I feel that it's also completely unnecessary, and redundant. Most of it would have been genuinely unremarkable if those bands had existed at the same time as the artists they were inspired by.

Pop and rock are rather limited in terms of genres and options - and the bulk of the experimentation that could be done was done in the 60's and the 70's. It's already been stretched to its limits.

And then Freddy Mercury died.

But I also notice that the bad music is worst than ever. One of the kids who drove me to work was listening to a song, man... There was a (fake) clavinet solo which is possibly one of the worst things I'd ever heard. The timing was off, the way it was put together made it obvious that it had been drawn in a piano roll by someone who'd never actually played keys in their life, the harmonies were horrendous - and the whole thing was out of tune.

Musicians that were regarded as talentless in the 70's are fricking virtuosos by some of our contemporary standards.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
eph221
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 06:56:29 (permalink)
wow, kate bush.  My gf was into her in HS.  I've never liked sarcasm though.  The rule in my family was....no sarcasm, no devaluation, and no condescension.  Sarcasm reveals a troubled soul.  Go towards the light carol anne.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 11:11:40 (permalink)
If I'm honest, the only reason I revere music from the past, like the 80's, is because it reminds me of those carefree years. Something makes it all seem so precious knowing that we can never go back. Or maybe it somehow stimulates the present.. As an older adult, like many people, I haven't been exposed to as much music due to other things going on in life, no longer clubbing or partying, etc.

Sometimes I listen to mashups of recent stuff and realize that there's some cool music out there I just never get exposed to. Robin Skouteris mixes with a fair bit of it, and you can download it for free.

Recently, I realized that Miley Cyrus could actually very much be my cup of tea - when I saw here singing Rebel Yell live with Billy Idol on YouTube. (Who knew?)

If money were no object, I'd open a dance club where you had to be in your 40's to enter, (well the guys anyway, women can be any age). Just so that us middle-aged folk could get our groove on and not stand out like a sore thumb nowadays.

My music collection (11.5 GB downloaded years ago) is also older stuff.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 12:25:29 (permalink)
GjB
...I'd open a dance club where you had to be in your 40's to enter...

Since I started playing out live again I've discovered that there actually are places like that.

Not that there's a formal age minimum, which would be illegal. The only requirement is an appreciation for classic rock. While the bulk of our audience is over 40, the 20-somethings are right there with us too. They're always surprising me with their requests, which go beyond what they'd likely have heard on classic rock radio.

One of the tunes that consistently works with these audiences is a Patsy Cline tune from 1957, "Walkin' After Midnight". It's actually a fun song to jam on, although we do it jazzier and faster than the original.

Pop music has been obsessed with image since the advent of television. Along with their talent, the Beatles were also handsome fellows. Huge talents who weren't pretty had to play Country, and even they had hot babes singing backup.

Fortunately, Progressive Rock came along to offer them alternative employment - let's face it, Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman were never going to be clothing catalog models.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 18:18:04 (permalink)
GjB

Recently, I realized that Miley Cyrus could actually very much be my cup of tea - when I saw here singing Rebel Yell live with Billy Idol on YouTube. (Who knew?)

I saw that vid. Looked like Billy found some way to pass nearly all of his oldness on to Steve Stevens.
craigb
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 18:52:44 (permalink)
sharke
Growing up in the 70's I was exposed to all kinds of great music which instilled in me a taste for sophisticated harmonies, clever songwriting and interesting rhythms. We had jazz, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, Little Feat and the Mahavishnu Orchestra playing in our home all the time. When you grow up around such music, it's really hard to concentrate on any of the bland chart topping crap that sells millions today. I've tried, I just can't. Even the artists that people keep telling me are "actually really good," like Adele or Ed Sheeran, at best I find to be "so-so." To me it all just sounds very safe and unchallenging, and my mind wanders almost instantly. 

Of course there is the argument that modern artists are more about the image than the music, but quite frankly I see no reason why it can't be both. Look at Kate Bush's early work. Tonight I watched the video for "Wow" from 1978, and it's got it all. She's outrageous, mysterious, sensual, artistic and kooky. But in addition to all that, the music is so well written and performed. There's something in the chords, melody and bass line which evoke the kind of colors and emotions that modern pop fails so miserably at conjuring. Yes it's got the big pop chorus, but just listen to those verses. Listen to the musicianship, the brilliance of the bass line and the arrangement of the strings. This mesmerized me when I was a kid, along with other greats such as Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, The Man With The Child In His Eyes, This Woman's Work, Army Dreamers etc. I think it might have something to do with the fact that back in the day, record companies were more likely to give quirky artists like Kate Bush the benefit of the doubt and let them get on with their own thing based on the idea that they knew their art better than anyone in an executive leather chair. But now, the entire image of these "showcase" artists is carefully planned to an exact formula by a corporation, and it's just mind numbingly sterile. 

That video led directly into this one (which, being my day to relax, I was able to watch and enjoy - very interesting!):

craigb
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 18:54:06 (permalink)
eph221
wow, kate bush.  My gf was into her in HS.  I've never liked sarcasm though.  The rule in my family was....no sarcasm, no devaluation, and no condescension.  Sarcasm reveals a troubled soul.  Go towards the light carol anne.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

That may be true, but it takes guts to reveal your true self instead of creating some false facade like most artists do.

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/01 19:37:05 (permalink)
Evidence that Cute and Authentic are not mutually-exclusive...no Autotune here.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
eph221
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 00:48:29 (permalink)
Yes, guts.  Like a soldier!  :D But, is it something to laugh at (re, a troubled soul)

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 02:33:58 (permalink)
craigb
sharke

That video led directly into this one (which, being my day to relax, I was able to watch and enjoy - very interesting!):

Just watched it. Totally fascinating and makes me want to revisit her entire catalog. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 07:02:26 (permalink)
I had one going today too.  Others later this week...

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 08:07:17 (permalink)
Hmmm, lots of tangents and possible explanations (or theories).

We, as old fogies :), are looking back at music from the 60's, 70's & 80's as good music. I too prefer a lot of old rock. But, we are pretty much cherry picking over 3 decades of music. There was a lot of crap around then too. How many of us bought albums for 1 song? I know there were some bands that were glossed over simply because they didn't get airplay.  For example, some of you may have never heard of Trapeze. The point being perhaps there is some good music currently out there that is not mainstream and the masses haven't discovered yet. I recently discovered Zero7 to find they have been around for quite a while.

Then there is the mass consumption of music these days. Disney keeps pumping out formulaic pop tarts to indoctrinate the kids. Those kids think that is good music and carry that ear as they grow older. As others have noted, I too believe there is a 'common ear' and when it is stuffed full of crap it knows no better.

What really scares me is 30 or 40 years from now some moron will be referencing Kanye as some type of musical genius.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
craigb
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 14:57:14 (permalink)
DrLumen
What really scares me is 30 or 40 years from now some moron will be referencing Kanye as some type of musical genius.

Heck, some moron is already doing that! 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 16:29:31 (permalink)
DrLumen

We, as old fogies :), are looking back at music from the 60's, 70's & 80's as good music. I too prefer a lot of old rock. But, we are pretty much cherry picking over 3 decades of music. There was a lot of crap around then too. 

^ This

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
eph221
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 20:22:50 (permalink)
cherry picking describes the rock world beautifully.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 21:42:36 (permalink)
bapu
bitflipper
"Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."

Really?

Check this out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1974

Or, if you prefer albums:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_200_number-one_albums_of_1974

I checked those links.  Man, does that ever put it in perspective!  Music sucked BAD in 1974.  I think as we age we engage in selective memory, and so the three good songs we actually liked back then morphs into "all the music of the 1970's was great" as time passes.  After all the 70's included "Disco Duck", "Afternoon Delight", "Feelings", and The Bay City Rollers.  Need I continue?

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 21:50:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/10/03 03:15:39
craigb
DrLumen

Too true!. I stand corrected. Although, I actually meant someone other than Kanye.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/02 23:15:29 (permalink)
DrLumen
craigb
DrLumen

Too true!. I stand corrected. Although, I actually meant someone other than Kanye.

HAHAHA!!  Perfect!!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/03 02:51:10 (permalink)
Music is produced at a larger volume so the quality control is not there.  You don't have the legendary bands taking a couple of years to work on an album and being their own critical listeners.
 Those of us who dabble in Daws and play various instruments are not the ideal music market.

I don't mind some of the modern pop music because I'm more into the electronic dance genres so I listen to the synth sounds, use of effects, ect. 

Most of the bands that have been around for 4 decades prefer to do concerts than albums probably because the don't have to.  The older guys are so polished and make it obvious they enjoy being on stage.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/03 12:44:47 (permalink)
Back to the OP, perhaps modern pop music is so terrible because all the greats are DYING?

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
craigb
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/03 15:47:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Slugbaby 2017/10/03 15:49:48

Evidently, not a single one of those six writers and four producers passed their English classes...

craigb
Re: Why is modern pop music so terrible? 2017/10/03 15:51:04 (permalink)
Oh yeah, and the only thing stupider than the lyrics is the video! 

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1