Why piracy is such a problem

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 07:21:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Amazed

Showing people parked cars doesn't make everybody a car thief even though they are there for all to see.

are these people wearing hooded tops?

list of stuff
RockStringBender
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 07:43:42 (permalink)
Yeah, a little over reaction. Hope my apology was accepted. I've been wrapped around the axle on piracy for a long time now and as i stated I had and still have no idea how to get SW that way. My initial rub comes from music and everyone napstering someone elses property. I found myself in the last decade living in a world were Lars the azz frrom metalica was getting his butt handed to him for voicing distain for people who are in my opinion stealing his and his band's hard work. This new generation coming behind me seems to feel that bootlegging every CD in all of their friends collections as perfectly OK and fine and just the way it is. I see it as someones intellectual property and an outright theft. The practice has become so prevailant that I no longer even think that any of my copyrights are worth the 35 bucks I spent on each of them. When my website is finished I'll just put my stuff on there and if someone wants to donate a quarter to help me buy some new guitar strings then good for me and them. Ten years ago I still considered it my material and property but nowadays I understand that I live in a different world from the one I grew up in and the concept of doing the right thing just to be doing the right thing doesn't seem to rank up there with 'I want it and I can get it so it's mine'.

Didn't mean to spank the FNG and it was a knee jerk reaction. To be honest, I still don't understand how people think that artists trying to protect their work and actually get paid for their efforts are the bad guy and that they are cheating the cheats out of something they believe is theirs just because it's in a medium that is easy to steal. I guess I'm a dinasuar.

ORIGINAL: Amazed

Whats the worry? .. You're never gonna download a pirated copy and and nor will anybody else that wants to stay legit. Showing people parked cars doesn't make everybody a car thief even though they are there for all to see.

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 07:55:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

I do it myself with music, though in my case it's done out of laziness, as in I download albums that I already own on CD (to put on my ipod). For me, it's quicker and easier than ripping a CD, but that's it.

Yeah, same with me. There was a car that was exactly the same make and model as mine, but it was parked closer to my house, so I took that one to work, cause I'm too F****** LAZY!!!

Downloading something I already own to turn it into an mp3 file and ripping the same album from the CD results in the same: AN MP3 FILE! Your car analogy is not the same thing. Your inability to see that is depressing.
post edited by Monkey23 - 2009/01/10 08:17:53
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 08:06:56 (permalink)
I am an anti-piracy advocate but I see no harm in the OP's remedy of the situation. We've argued the license vs. media thing before and the OP is apparently a licensed user. So, to me, the media or the delivery thereof, is of no consequence. No one was denied the benefit of ownership or income from the creation of the product. In fact it could be said that everyone in the product chain was spared the extra effort and expense of replacing the product. The pirate site lost a little bandwidth and the glory of sticking it to "the man." Winning situation all around.

Making a public announcement about it in the manufacturer's website because you didn't have time to follow their policy is bad form, IMHO. Policies are usually set after much thought and not to punish the customer so trying to extract a little revenge in this way was unnecessary.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
pkev
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 08:44:43 (permalink)
Hi there,

I'll wager there is a bigger problem with musicians who don't declare all their earnings to the Inland Revenue and pay their due tax. If anyone was to hazard a guess on this forum as to how many of you actually don't declare all your earnings from Music.

I don't think 75%- 80% would be an unreasonable guess

While many perhaps are hobbyists and amateurs, it is still unlikely that you would not receive at least some financial recompense for your efforts along the way

I won't believe for a minute that all those in this forum who advocate so strongly against software piracy who make a living in anyway from music pay all their due taxes.

Call it cynicism or whatever....perhaps experience

Just food for thought

Cheers
pkev

post edited by pkev - 2009/01/10 08:49:20

ASUS M2V Mobo, AMD 64, 3.6Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, 80 Gig HD, 160 GB Ext F/W Drive, Presonus FP 10 F/W Audio Interface, Yamaha Midi Interface, Reaper / Cubase SX3
RockStringBender
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 08:51:48 (permalink)
Reminds me of a song a comic did back in the 80s. It was called

"Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, But Three Lefts Do"

ORIGINAL: pkev

Hi there,

I'll wager there is a bigger problem with musicians who don't declare all their earnings to the Inland Revenue and pay their due tax. If anyone was to hazard a guess on this forum as to how many of you actually don't declare all your earnings from Music.

I don't think 75%- 80% would be an unreasonable guess

While many perhaps are hobbyists and amateurs, it is still unlikely that you would not receive at least some financial recompense for your efforts along the way

I won't believe for a minute that all those in this forum who advocate so strongly against software piracy who make a living in anyway from music pay all their due taxes.

Call it cynicism or whatever....perhaps experience

Just food for thought

Cheers
pkev

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 09:40:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

I am an anti-piracy advocate but I see no harm in the OP's remedy of the situation. We've argued the license vs. media thing before and the OP is apparently a licensed user. So, to me, the media or the delivery thereof, is of no consequence. No one was denied the benefit of ownership or income from the creation of the product. In fact it could be said that everyone in the product chain was spared the extra effort and expense of replacing the product. The pirate site lost a little bandwidth and the glory of sticking it to "the man." Winning situation all around.

Making a public announcement about it in the manufacturer's website because you didn't have time to follow their policy is bad form, IMHO. Policies are usually set after much thought and not to punish the customer so trying to extract a little revenge in this way was unnecessary.

Good post Mod bod. On the other hand, they might slightly adjust their policy in light of this story. Just another piece of the puzzle the company has to put together to protect their product yet serve the customer in the best way that they can.

UnderTow
daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 09:43:30 (permalink)
I do it myself with music, though in my case it's done out of laziness, as in I download albums that I already own on CD (to put on my ipod). For me, it's quicker and easier than ripping a CD, but that's it.

That's the biggest pile of BS I've ever heard. Do you have a 2x CD player? You definitely can't download faster than you can rip. And besides with a download you have to worry about missing parts, trojans and viruses.
post edited by daveny5 - 2009/01/10 09:49:40

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
Monkey23
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 10:55:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: daveny5

That's the biggest pile of BS I've ever heard. Do you have a 2x CD player? You definitely can't download faster than you can rip. And besides with a download you have to worry about missing parts, trojans and viruses.

Who cares? I've bought the CD(s). I don't download stuff I don't own already so I don't feel guilty about it. I find it easier to do it that way (even if you don't) and the result is the same so quite frankly it doesn't matter if you find it the biggest pile of BS you've ever heard.
post edited by Monkey23 - 2009/01/10 10:59:38
Monkey23
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 11:28:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pkev

Cheers
pkev

Exactly. He who casts the first stone...
alxi
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:00:46 (permalink)
I totaly agree. If i had to go trought all that s..t i would also have downloaded the crack. By protecting theire self from loyal customers like that, the companies are only encouraging us to reach for the cracked version. Beeing a paying customer should be the easy way, not the hard one.

My two cents

-Alxi-

For ever learning
RockStringBender
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:03:42 (permalink)

Exactly. He who casts the first stone...

...is guilty of nothing and apparantly hit some guilty nerves with the rock. You guys should be ashamed to even TRY to put honor or integrity or any excuse for stealing anothers property. That's exactly what I was talking about in my dinasuar post. You truly can't see that it's the same thing as stealing gas if the attendent is in the bathroom. Shame on the attendent, not you, right. The dummy left the door open. Everyone else is doing it. You kissed my mom so I can kiss your sister. Some un named somebody doesn't pay his share of taxes so you can rob him of his goods. It is a load. It is improper thinking and just BS for those who do pirate music to believe they are justified. Pitiful. Just so we are clear here I don't agree with any of the positioning and dancing around the issue on this. It's wrong and I pity those of you who grew up thinking like this. I already suspect the earth will be a boiling crap-pool by the time I am gone from it but it pains me to know that my child will be living with this kind of mentality and with few references as to what is truly right and truly wrong. This is not an opinion, it is not a gray area, it's a fact.

syrath
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4075
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:08:02 (permalink)
To be honest in the UK if goods are shipped faulty they are not allowed to refuse to fix it. I know in the UK software is very often non-returnable , but the laws about damaged goods override that. Of course Im not sure of the retail law in the country in question
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:14:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RockStringBender
...is guilty of nothing and apparantly hit some guilty nerves with the rock. You guys should be ashamed to even TRY to put honor or integrity or any excuse for stealing anothers property. That's exactly what I was talking about in my dinasuar post. You truly can't see that it's the same thing as stealing gas if the attendent is in the bathroom. Shame on the attendent, not you, right. The dummy left the door open. Everyone else is doing it. You kissed my mom so I can kiss your sister. Some un named somebody doesn't pay his share of taxes so you can rob him of his goods. It is a load. It is improper thinking and just BS for those who do pirate music to believe they are justified. Pitiful. Just so we are clear here I don't agree with any of the positioning and dancing around the issue on this. It's wrong and I pity those of you who grew up thinking like this. I already suspect the earth will be a boiling crap-pool by the time I am gone from it but it pains me to know that my child will be living with this kind of mentality and with few references as to what is truly right and truly wrong. This is not an opinion, it is not a gray area, it's a fact.

what if someone kissed your sister AND your mom?

list of stuff
F@KKER
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:15:10 (permalink)
real life scenario here:

I d/l'd mp3 versions of music I purchased years ago originally as vinyl albums; am I breaking the law?

F@KKER

Someone said:
I've had more time to play with this, and am withdrawing the bug remarks.
This appears to work as designed and is actually a pretty cool feature.
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:18:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: F@KKER

real life scenario here:

I d/l'd mp3 versions of music I purchased years ago originally as vinyl albums; am I breaking the law?

F@KKER

1 years hard labour for you. No visiting rights. You may eat bugs that enter your cell.
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:25:34 (permalink)
Toxikator , it's basic business. you buy from a shop.. your contract is with THEM. e.g. if I bought SH1 car from CJ auto's.. I'd deal with CJ and not Strikingly Handsome. It's for CJ to deal with Strikingly Handsome NOT me..

much as customers bought macs from where I worked, they came back to us and we dealt with apple.
strikinglyhandsome1
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:26:44 (permalink)
Am I making any money out of this deal?

post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2009/01/10 12:30:46
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:33:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: strikinglyhandsome1
Am I making any money out of this deal?

ya joking right.. I drive a "bankrupt" (rover).. and well the money isn't in the car sale now , it's the aftersale parts and servicing after..

I was gonna say it was a "T" model of the car..

post edited by Fog - 2009/01/10 12:37:32
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:48:13 (permalink)
- Original - Lazy Monkey23 -
Downloading something I already own to turn it into an mp3 file and ripping the same album from the CD results in the same: AN MP3 FILE! Your car analogy is not the same thing. Your inability to see that is depressing

What's depressing is your total lack of a sense of humor...

strikinglyhandsome1
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 12:52:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Fog

I was gonna say it was a "T" model of the car..

post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2009/01/10 12:58:28
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 13:38:35 (permalink)
LOL...... You can tell that some of the self righteous on this thread have never had a problem with a faulty CD or DVD software that they've tried to get sorted. I almost hope they do at some point, let's hear them whine then.

I have had the mis-fortune and I can assure you it's a right royal PITA. My sympathies to the OP. The only bright side is that you weren't trying to deal with microsoft.
RockStringBender
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 13:49:20 (permalink)
I see no one operating as if they were wearing a crown of thorns, just opinions and deeply held believes being shared. It is not proper to dismiss that. Everyone has the same trials and tribulations in everyday life and if you do not chose to do the right thing then you do not chose the right thing. This is not me pushing my beliefs on others, it is me clarifying what society is expecting of us i.e.Do unto others and all that crap.

Another attempt to classify software and problems as an excuse to do the wrong thing. I'm not buying it and I chose today to point that out to some who find it easier to look at others and dismiss them than to look into themselfs and see that there if a flaw.

I have had issues with gear and software and car mechanics and grocery store personnel and people in traffic and the whole boatload that everyone else has to deal with everyday. I do not steal the gear that I want to replace the one that has issues, I do not steal the SW that is incorrect, I do not punch the grocery cleark out or stealo his bread and I don't shot the dude who cut me off in traffic.

Again, you are not winning this argument with anyone except the others who think like you . You cannot push something that is wrong by dismissing the truth or explaining your behavior by blaming others for making you do it. It's wrong, you are wrong

Peace Out

RockStringBender
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 13:51:19 (permalink)
Hey Can we cuss in here?

@#*&^g?*##!!

Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 13:55:22 (permalink)
pirates are no bigger ****s than environment polluters, gas&electricitywasters, brothelgoers, taxevasors, cheaters, most politicians, russian oligarchs, skinheads, parents who beat their childeren, firms that sell lo quality crap, drugdealers and junkies....ahhh o could go on for hours....

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
RockStringBender
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 14:06:46 (permalink)
well heck, now that you put it that way I guess I should go online shopping today. There's dozens of songs that i have been lurking in the used CD store for and I need a copy of Macromedia MX 2004 for my website. Hot darn, forget everything I said, it's a free for all with all those others living such shameful lives. I've been cheating myself out of all this free stuff all this time.

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 14:46:23 (permalink)
I feel your pain Toxikator. Going through the verification and return - exchange process is a real PITA! But I don't think going to the Pirates for conveinence is the answer. They are the problem, not the solution.

Craig DuBuc
daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 14:50:18 (permalink)
I find it easier to do it that way (even if you don't) and the result is the same so quite frankly it doesn't matter if you find it the biggest pile of BS you've ever heard.

So now your story has changed. First it was because it was faster, now its because its easier. Next thing it will be because its cheaper. I hope you're ready to produce your originals when the RIAA drops by.
post edited by daveny5 - 2009/01/10 14:57:25

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
hanemkat
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 15:21:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RockStringBender

To be honest, I still don't understand how people think that artists trying to protect their work and actually get paid for their efforts are the bad guy and that they are cheating the cheats out of something they believe is theirs just because it's in a medium that is easy to steal. I guess I'm a dinasuar.

You’re not a dinosaur; I would guess that royalties are a relatively modern institution. Beethoven and Michelangelo had patrons and more than likely got paid once for each piece of work. (Probably Beethoven could make extra money at gigs, but Michelangelo was out of luck).

Intellectual/creative properties are more of a gray area than meets the eye. But prior to 20th century, the artists probably knew they weren't going to be paid over and over for the same piece of work. So they gave lessons, took in apprentices, wrote for magazines, or manipulated infatuated kings into building them state of the art opera houses.
Monkey23
RE: Why piracy is such a problem 2009/01/10 17:45:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

- Original - Lazy Monkey23 -
Downloading something I already own to turn it into an mp3 file and ripping the same album from the CD results in the same: AN MP3 FILE! Your car analogy is not the same thing. Your inability to see that is depressing

What's depressing is your total lack of a sense of humor...

I've told you this before Oaf, I have a sense of humor. You're just not funny.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1